Versus Matchmaking Test - Magnetic Mayhem (3/22/16)*Updated

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand testing it mid season.

PVP and Sim are the only things that impact season score. Will they give a bonus Season score when the event ends added on to all participants to help soften the blow when people are suddenly scoring too low to hit the 10K season score for the 25CP?
  • AE_Fios
    AE_Fios Posts: 39
    Thanks for always trying to improve the game...however this sounds awful.

I could simply skip that dumpster fire PVE. We're all forced to play this PVP or it will affect our entire seasons score negatively. How are you supposed to mine usage data from that?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    My problem with PvP is that my highest level characters are all low-tier, so I don't really have much ability to slog through endless Luke Cages and Kamala Khans (while conversely I am a target for everyone at my MMR level). Somehow, I don't think the new MMR is really going to address that.

But whatever. 3* MMR complaints are fairly transient. I'll DDQ my way out of it eventually...
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Just because the PvE sucks giant donkey balls does not mean the exact same implementation will fail in PvP. They are fundamentally different beasts, we know there are serious MMR issues and anything to address these issues should be highly welcomed IMO. Don't get the hate. Really don't.

My only objection is testing this mid-season, but it certainly awards D3 a larger statistical pool to analyze. If we want things to improve we cannot be so resistant to play testing. They are finally doing something about a long we should be cautiously optimistic.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do understand they're trying to address cup caking because again they want us to progress even slower than we are.
    if they successfully 'address' baking, there will be an enormous reduction in hp needs since shielding is the only primary use for hp left. no baking = player disengagement = less drive for huge scores = less hp spend = less $ spend. I'm not sure they want to 'address' baking, but we'll see.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    2TUMZ9l.jpg
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    frodoNOOOOO_zps3597b312.gif
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    Just because the PvE sucks giant donkey balls does not mean the exact same implementation will fail in PvP. They are fundamentally different beasts, we know there are serious MMR issues and anything to address these issues should be highly welcomed IMO. Don't get the hate. Really don't.

My only objection is testing this mid-season, but it certainly awards D3 a larger statistical pool to analyze. If we want things to improve we cannot be so resistant to play testing. They are finally doing something about a long we should be cautiously optimistic.

Every test they run is always a castratophic failure.

Get your health packs ready, this is not gonna improve anything except make everything harder since thats the way they want things to go apparently.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    What people really want in PVP is to find high point targets with weak rosters, and not get attacked by people with less points.

Until they get this, the playerbase will always whine about PVP.

So come devs, make it happen! (even though it's obviously impossible)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

Every test they run is always a castratophic failure.

Get your health packs ready, this is not gonna improve anything except make everything harder since thats the way they want things to go apparently.

It is not a failure. With the test it is either a win or a learning experience.

D3 just has a lot to learn
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    What people really want in PVP is to find high point targets with weak rosters, and not get attacked by people with less points.

Until they get this, the playerbase will always whine about PVP.

So come devs, make it happen! (even though it's obviously impossible)
    I'd settle for anything worth more than 40 points. My typical skip cycle is max 4* team for 25, max 4* team for 36, max 4* team for 35, mixed 4/5* team for 30
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    What David is saying:
    For the Magnetic Mayhem Versus event, we will be testing some matchmaking changes we have been working on. Previously, players were matched against other players based solely on heroes’ levels. Now, players will be matched against other players based on the hero power levels as well.

What I am hearing:
    Get ready to face the same five opponents over and over again @ 5 points each.

Hope I'm wrong. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    As always, thanks for trying to make things better. However, we'd like a bit more information. Counting covers (or "power levels") seems like a way to increase the MMR of a lot of people? Sure, it will solve the problem of the handful 1* and 2* players with a a 255 5*. But what about all the people with a, say, 120 3/5/5 Invisible Woman? Will the game think it's fine pairing her with any another 13-covered 4*? Say, a level 450 Rulk?

I'm guessing it will count both covers and levels, but due Iso scarcity, there are more players with underleveled max-covered characters than players with characters leveled up way more than the rest of their roster. For them, introducing covers into the equation will doubtlessly increase their MMR by whatever little or much. And as always, it will randomly and unfairly recompense those who got their hands on a powerful character over those who got the IWs of the world, as having any number of covers of Chulk ain't any close to having the same number of covers of Iceman. Interestingly, most half-positive changes in the game always stress how necessary it is to fix that power disparity, but it's always been something Demiurge hasn't given priority to.

I already experience ridiculous MMR (waaay beyond the levels of my characters) after 800ish points in PVP, so I don't think this change can make that any worse. However, I'm afraid that it will increase the levels of enemies I see pre-800, which would be annoying, to make an understatement. Best thing I can hope for is that the change will have a curve-flattening effect like in PVE, giving me, say, level 200 enemies pre-800 (instead of level 166) and level 250 enemies post-800 instead of level 350+ ones.

I'll wait and see, but I wish this communicate had been as an in-depth as the previous one was.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a bad feeling about this.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    A test during a season event? Are you kidding me?
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I don't think the matchmaking for PvP could get any worse. I'm already seeing maxed 4*s and nearing maxed 5*s with a mostly 3* teams. I don't know how people are expecting this to go wrong. Isn't what we have already as weirdly bad as it can get?
    Meh, I'm optimistic. And if not, it certainly won't be harder. Not unless people with 1* and 2* teams start seeing 5*s.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    Here's how to improve PvP: Take out all roster-based matchmaking. Put people against people with similar scores in the PvP instead. I don't play PvP for the ranking rewards because the current rubber-banding system does not reward player investment.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    I don't understand the new systme, if i have this

JLiUBdp.png

the matchmaking bring me teams at lv.74 or lv.172. It's only 98 levels up. Only 98 icon_lol.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    If this means my 3* only roster stops seeing max champed Jean Grey, Hulkbuster, max boosted featured I am all for it. I won't be holding my breath though. As usual I expect the worst and hope for the best.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    As long as they insist on cramming everyone onto the same battlefield, fighting for the same rewards, matchmaking will suck for someone.