Versus Matchmaking Test - Magnetic Mayhem (3/22/16)*Updated

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Now, players will be matched against other players based on the hero power levels as well.

This is rather vague. Could you give any more specifics, or examples with real numbers? Like what should a 3* team or 4* team expect to see, or not expect?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes for fun when I don't want to play PvE I like to take a close look at what's said, the phrasing and words chosen. This one is a doozy.
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Due to the differences in Story and Versus modes, our hope is that players will find the experience to be an improved one.

It's what it says about the Story mode experience that makes me chuckle. (I accept that perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but still.)
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    All I picture in my head after beating the 3 feeder teams is cycling through the same 20 - 40 players with high end 5*s over and over again as we continue to slap each other down over and over again and get absolutely nowhere. This will then change in the last 13 hours as most will be shield hopping at a much lower score than normal. At this point I'll get to cycle through the same 4-5 players over and over again. 2 or 3 of them will have 5*s with 10+ covers that I might beat some of the time but at great cost while the other 2 gave up hope and didn't waste their HP on shielding as their score was nowhere near what they are used to getting. These node will be worth 2-3 points for me. I'll spend hundreds of ISO skipping over and over again but just finding these same 4-5 players. After flushing away more ISO than I have collected in the event, I'll finally throw in the towel and give up, becoming a 2-3 point value node for someone else to cycle through over and over and over again.

I really hope this system works much, much better than I think it will. If I look over my 840+ days of experience with this game, I'm not holding my breath. icon_cry.gif
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Due to the differences in Story and Versus modes, our hope is that players will find the experience to be an improved one. As always, all constructive feedback is welcomed and we thank you for the feedback you have provided to date.
    That seems to be an acknowledgment of the negative feedback on PVE testing. I hope that also indicates they see it as a fail.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Thanks for the info, Dave.

Could you invite a Dev in here, like ya did last time?

:+D
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly, just sounds like a fix for 2* and low 3* rosters that happen to pull that one 5* cover. So, power levels (covers) for 5* are very low, but roster strength is 255, 94, 94 (Used to put roster at lvl 147 total), new system maybe each cover only counts as part of a level for matchmaking. So if you're fully covered at a tier, only levels matter. But if you've only got one 5* cover, for example, it won't put you in mmr hell. That's what it sounds like, anyway.
  • kaelad
    kaelad Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I actually like the PvE changes for the most part. Sure, there are some tweaks I'd like to see (making the first 3 nodes trivial again) but I'm happy for the most part. I'm not a heavy PvP player but I'm optimistic for the changes. The PvE test included a lot of changes all at once and the PvP test only has one: how they evaluate your roster for matchmaking. I think that part of the PvE test has worked well.
    Honestly, just sounds like a fix for 2* and low 3* rosters that happen to pull that one 5* cover. So, power levels (covers) for 5* are very low, but roster strength is 255, 94, 94 (Used to put roster at lvl 147 total), new system maybe each cover only counts as part of a level for matchmaking. So if you're fully covered at a tier, only levels matter. But if you've only got one 5* cover, for example, it won't put you in mmr hell. That's what it sounds like, anyway.

I agree. I also believe that players in this spot are most likely to benefit from the changes while most other people will barely notice a change.
  • AsylumTKJ
    AsylumTKJ Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    I don t care.
    I don t have anymore ressources for pvp. All has gone in this new pve. Grind grind grind.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have an unleveled Phoenix with 9 covers on my roster that I haven't leveled or used because she's 5/1/3 and needs more Purple to be playable. I sincerely hope this new algorithm matches me against other players with 9 cover fivestars. We'll see.
  • M C K
    M C K Posts: 96 Match Maker
    I'm out....

Just watch where you're going...based on the tenor of your post it sounds like someone may have rearranged the furniture in your house again.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just wondering why no extra rewards are being offered for participating like for pve... no moonstone tokens, no Cho Points?
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    This

That is the situation I'm in. I'm still a 2 star.png roster player but I happened to pull one, exactly one 5 star.png cover. Because of that, PVP has become a lot harder for me.
    If now they take only the level at which a character is at in consideration, that will mean I have one lvl 270 character and all my others are lvl 94 ... it will definitely bring down PVP to more manageable levels for me.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2016
    Championing - make your 2* and 3* characters better and get more use out of covers over 13, all it takes is for you to dump the rest of your iso into them to get them ready for Championing! Increased power levels! Oh, and Champed 3*s get you an LT!

Oh, we've nerfed all the levels for 2* and 3*s so fully champed power levels are the new old max level. Don't pay any attention to that. The real new-meta is 4*s! So...

We've flooded you with LTs so you now have a lot more fully covered 4*s than you did before. Oh, but you dumped all of your iso into the 2* and 3* guys to get them Championed? Don't worry, not a problem because...

We're going to make changes to PVE that not only make it INFINITELY harder to farm iso, but also make it MORE OF A GRIND than it was before in order to compete against other players.

Then we're going to apply those same scaling mechanics to PVP.

What is the new scaling mechanic? We're going to base it on all of those empty 4* covers we just flooded you with! Have multiple max-covered, non-leveled 4*s? Time to level up those 4*s!

Mother Lode: 78K iso for US$100.

From 70 to 270 is approx. 366,000 for a 4*

US$500 to level a 4*

At least, that's how I see it. These changes have all been, my guess, 6+ months in the making, trying to figure out more ways to slow down progress and transition to extend the end game (or get more $ to advance)? Were things really too easy? The only thing the new PVE format has done is made me miss the old one. Can't wait to see what effect the PVP changes have.

Edit: Fixed iso needed to lvl a 4* and money needed to procure that iso.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Looking forward to trying it out! Sorry everyone who posts is a huge whiner!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin wrote:
    Looking forward to trying it out! Sorry everyone who posts is a huge whiner!
    Where's the downvote button?
    I'm glad you are excited for this, but considering how well the last test Went I Think a Little caution is understandable. Dismissing it as "whining" is just rude.
    (for the record I hope the new system works out well too, but as mentioned I am also worried it may make my game experience worse)
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Shouldn't Magnetic Mayhem be showing up in the versus tab if it's starting today?
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    And matched that way up to a certain score, as it is now, or forever? If forever, being one of those guys that hops way past their weight could be a real pain. Not a lot of 3*s past 1300, haha.
    It depends on how it's implemented, Aes. If they truly change it so that 3* players can't be seen or queued up by 4* players, that would mean 3* players would be fighting against other 3* players, and could just keep on climbing instead of getting knocked down immediately by 4* players on their way to 1300 and beyond. So you could end up with 3* to 4* transitioners in the top ranks with the 4* to 5* transitioners, and 5* players, but each level would never get queued by each other, only by the people on their same level. It doesn't sound like a particularly good idea for people concerned about placement (even more higher scores, more competition to beat) but would actually be great for more people hitting progression.

I'm probably going to be a good guinea pig for this, because I currently start seeing 3-400 folks about 300 points in (and sometimes sooner) despite my low lvl roster (with max covered 4s). Theoretically, I shouldn't be getting matched w/ those guys til later, but MMR twist could make it entirely possible that I'll see them right out of the gate. Only one way to find out. . . icon_e_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_mrgreen.gif
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    madsalad wrote:
    ...Have multiple max-covered, non-leveled 4*s? Time to level up those 4*s!

Mother Lode: 78K iso for US$100.

From 70 to 270 is 434,462 for a 4*

US$550 to level a 4*

At least, that's how I see it....

That's the pre-R75 leveling cost. For nearly a year now, leveling a 4* has costs "only" 366K-ish iso.

Only 5 lodes, so only $500, and you'll have 24K iso in change.

Much better, no?

That changes everything! I'd be losing money to not buy it at that discount!
    1174804810.jpg
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Sadly, I will not be participating in this... experiment. Tonight I will be visiting my sister and her family in Argentina, and I will return sunday night.
    Too bad, also, that I won't be following the current Enemy of the State to the end, for the same reason.

I hope when I come back I find lots of comments about how it was.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Now, players will be matched against other players based on the hero power levels as well.

This is rather vague. Could you give any more specifics
    That's like asking, "So what exactly is in this hot dog... ?"