Patch Notes - R96 (03/14/16)

Options

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    I mean... it kind of depends on how you define it. Technically Dr. Doom could be considered to have no superpowers becuase theoretically he got his power from study, which others could do.

Let me correct you here bro. Though it's true that Doom has quite the ability when it comes to technology, rivaling those of Tony Stark and Reed Richards, he is also a very well versed sorcerer. He had some study amongst his mother's possessions as a young boy (she was a witch), learned under Morgan Le Fay, and apprenticed under the Marquis of Death in a bid for revenge upon him. Doom is as knowledgeable, if not more so than Strange himself in terms of magic and was a potential candidate for Sorcerer Supreme. All this without the various gifts that are bestowed upon the Sorcerer Supreme. He is far more than what has been portrayed in movies but I forgive you as most people do not know the character that well at all. You can't just say he doesn't have superpowers because the funny thing about Marvel is that their mages are typically some of the most powerful beings in their universe. That's why there are so few.
  • Davan
    Davan Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Maria Hill from the comics. She has been the director of shield in the comics for a long time. Not sure if she will tie into the cap movie or not.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Plx.

March : 4*Quake, 4*Punisher, 4*ELEKTRA BUFF ( or demote her to 3* status, even ), 3*PUNISHER BUFF, 5*Stick? .

April : CIVIL WAR PVE EVENT, 4*Winter Soldier, 4*Coulson, 2* Captain America buff, 5*Flaptain buff, 5* Black Panther, 4*Klaw?, 4* Maria Hill?, 1*Agent Carter, 1*Agent 43.

May : X-MEN APOCALYPSE PVE EVENT, Apocalypse & Horseman Boss Battles, 4*Angel / Archangel, 4* Psylocke 5* Magneto, 3*PSYLOCKE BUFF .

Plx.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    I hope the new characters will be a 4* and one of this two:

- Daredevil (Shadowland)
    Shadowland_Vol_1_1_New_Costume_Second_Printing_Variant.jpg

Daredevil_Vol_1_508_Second_Printing_Variant.jpg

Daredevil_Vol_1_512.jpg

- Moon Knight (Modern)
    54b92dded3851.jpg

moon11.jpg

Moon_Knight_Vol_8_1_Textless.jpg

If has to be a new Punisher, I hope it will be the All-New Marvel Now! version:
    Punisher_Vol_9_5.jpg

punisher-17-preview-1.jpg

detail.jpg
    jobob wrote:
    Be_Vigilant.jpg?1383591256
    I almost forgot this teaser! icon_e_surprised.gif
    Maybe my wish of seeing Black Bolt in this game could come true... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm not a comic aficionado, so I'm not sure why "stay vigilant" is pointing everyone to Punisher or Daredevil. The existing character whose name I most associate with vigilance is Sentry.
    Same here. As much as I wish this is a clue for a 3-star Sentry buff, the patch note clue is always for new characters, and I doubt they would add another version of Sentry into the game. ):

3289444-vigi2.jpg
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    I mean... it kind of depends on how you define it. Technically Dr. Doom could be considered to have no superpowers becuase theoretically he got his power from study, which others could do.

Let me correct you here bro. Though it's true that Doom has quite the ability when it comes to technology, rivaling those of Tony Stark and Reed Richards, he is also a very well versed sorcerer. He had some study amongst his mother's possessions as a young boy (she was a witch), learned under Morgan Le Fay, and apprenticed under the Marquis of Death in a bid for revenge upon him. Doom is as knowledgeable, if not more so than Strange himself in terms of magic and was a potential candidate for Sorcerer Supreme. All this without the various gifts that are bestowed upon the Sorcerer Supreme. He is far more than what has been portrayed in movies but I forgive you as most people do not know the character that well at all. You can't just say he doesn't have superpowers because the funny thing about Marvel is that their mages are typically some of the most powerful beings in their universe. That's why there are so few.
    Hey man, I like Doom a lot and have read a decent bit of his stories... I wasn't trying to short change him, I was just saying that if you start pulling on the thread of "this person doesn't have super powers, they just spent a lifetime studying training and practicing", then you can unravel a lot of the Marvel Universe.

Even he talks about how much more powerful SW is than he in Children's Crusade because she can just naturally do the things that took him a lifetime to learn.

I guess my point is that as bad*ss as Doom is, within the context of the Marvel Universe they are all (as far as I know) powers acquired through rigorous training and study, not through a mutation or cosmic possession or by being from a God race... So those powers are theoretically available to anyone who puts in the time. Unlike Spider Man, or the Hulk, or Wolverine, who required some outside intervention.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make a new Punisher as a 5*. That would mean that there is literally NO HOPES of making the rarity rating mean ANYTHING in this entire game, when it comes power levels.

yep, rarity rating has nothing - NOTHING - to do with power levels in the comics. How you see any relation there so far is baffling as starting at the 1star level it should be really obvious.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ok if this character is coming out this month, since it is Women in Power month, it's probably a female hero or villian. I would hope they wouldn't make another Punisher. They need to fix the one they have, and the community already states they don't like variations of characters as is. Constant compliant "too many wolverine and spider-man!" Here is to hoping it's Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Medusa, Captain Universe, Enchantress, Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), or Sister Grimm.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make a new Punisher as a 5*. That would mean that there is literally NO HOPES of making the rarity rating mean ANYTHING in this entire game, when it comes power levels.

yep, rarity rating has nothing - NOTHING - to do with power levels in the comics. How you see any relation there so far is baffling as starting at the 1star level it should be really obvious.
    I think initially it was a combination of popularity and power levels. In any game, you start with the most popular characters in that game's theme/story, and then build out from there.

Even the early 4's matched that trend for a time, and even launching the 5* tier with Silver Surfer seemed to imply that 5's were going to be rare and powerful based on their comic book equivalents.

And as for JaG's in the game/comics - I guess I wouldn't include anyone that has access to suits/helmets/otherworldly tools as JaG, and that would include Fury (and Coulson/Maria Hill). However, especially in Marvel's Agent of SHIELD, Bobbi/Mockingbird is literally JaG.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

I get what you are saying... but I can also see how someone could see a general trend, and wouldn't call it "baffling."

I wouldn't say it has "NOTHING" to do with power levels in the game... I mean, there's probably a reason that there is no 2* Phoenix or Silver Surfer, and I doubt we will get a 5* Yelena Belova any time soon.

The general trend I see is that there are several factors affecting what tier a character gets put into (which I think does include power levels in the comics), and it's some combination of:
    1. How recently the character was added (MMO power creep... latest (usually) = greatest)
    2. Power level in the comics (again, see SS/JGP vs Hawkeye/Bullseye)
    3. General popularity (Spidey BiB, Spider-Gwen, OML, etc)
    4. Who Marvel is pushing at the time in comics (Spider-Gwen, ChoHulk, GT, Flaptain, Inhumans [probably]) or movies/TV (Vision, Quake, Ant-Man)
    5. Importance within the Marvel Universe & Iconic characters (PX, GG, Wolverine, Spidey)

I think that the two that throw it off the most are the push from Marvel, and the Power Creep... I think they re-released all the characters today with no influence from the Marvel hype machine, you would see a roster that much more closely mirrors power levels in the comics.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Before 5*s, I think when Elektra was released, the Devs commented that power level had nothing to do with rarity and star rank. But then when they announced 5*s and Silver Surfer, they made a big deal about why his power level in comics is why he was deserving of a 5* rank.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,512 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    As much as I want it to be a 4* Punisher (he isn't a character in the league of 5* unfortunately) since he is my favorite Marvel character, it will probably be a woman and I am surprised no one has mentioned Silver Sable yet.

Btw there was a woman Punisher for a time but I think it was not very long and I don't remember much about her.

She was a different person, her name was Rachel Cole-Alves and she ran with PunPun for a time, even using a variant of his costume - not pictured here, I found this on line and liked it. Heck, I'm going to put it in the memes thread now...

lNcIXcZ.jpg?2

That being said, I kind of doubt it's her.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Lidolas wrote:
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Before 5*s, I think when Elektra was released, the Devs commented that power level had nothing to do with rarity and star rank. But then when they announced 5*s and Silver Surfer, they made a big deal about why his power level in comics is why he was deserving of a 5* rank.

Yeah but the power levels in the comics don't count for Goblin as a 5* now. So if the wanted to make a 5* Punisher, and I hope they don't, they could technically. Heck we could even argue Hulk with his power Levels should be a 5* since he is ranked as one of the most powerful characters in the marvel universe. I just hope whomever the next characters is albeit 4 or 5* they are more comic related than MCU. Not knocking the MCU, just I think the Devs need to be allowed to use other characters, than just the ones Marvel wants promoted at the time.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Philly484 wrote:
    Lidolas wrote:
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

Yeah but the power levels in the comics don't count for Goblin as a 5* now. So if the wanted to make a 5* Punisher, and I hope they don't, they could technically. Heck we could even argue Hulk with his power Levels should be a 5* since he is ranked as one of the most powerful characters in the marvel universe. I just hope whomever the next characters is albeit 4 or 5* they are more comic related than MCU. Not knocking the MCU, just I think the Devs need to be allowed to use other characters, than just the ones Marvel wants promoted at the time.

Sorry, I guess I didn't finish my train of thought. I just wanted to point out that the Devs themselves have been on both sides of the issue. Consistent in their inconsistency. icon_lol.gif But I do think they'll stick more to the rarity =/= power level side.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lidolas wrote:
    Sorry, I guess I didn't finish my train of thought. I just wanted to point out that the Devs themselves have been on both sides of the issue. Consistent in their inconsistency. icon_lol.gif But I do think they'll stick more to the rarity =/= power level side.

Well, I guess that means we still have hope of seeing a 5* Hydra Bob or Howard the Duck!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When discussing the disconnect between rarity and power level, I don't think the split is between someone like Hulk (who intrinsically has strong super-human abilities) and someone like Iron Man (who is a 'normal' human with a super-human suit). Whatever the source of their power, both operate at a super-human level.

the gap is between someone like Hulk and someone like Punisher (who is just a regular guy with military training, lots of guns, and even more ruthlessness).

And sure, there's another gap between your typical superhero, and the cosmic level powers like Phoenix, Galactus, etc. Any idea that 5*s would be cosmic-level powers only went out the door when OML was announced.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To be fair to OML, that dude is seriously overpowered in his own comic.
  • Lidolas wrote:

Eeeeeh, not exactly.

It's like, power level is a factor, but it is not the ONLY factor. Silver Surfer and Phoenix are significant because of their power levels and their importance. Black Suit Spider Man and OML are impressive, badass variations of very popular characters, and Norman Osbourne is kinda the biggest non-boss villain in the game and all.

I think that is the difference between what characters they choose as 4*s and what characters are 5*s right now. 5*s don't have to be the strongest characters in the universe, but they better have some sort of "Wow" pop. (Being very strong, of course, does tend to create some of that pop)
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    .......clearly, I mention THE FIVE STAR'S RARITY, because that was their chance to START OVER and make that tier actually MEAN something.

Silver Surfer. Check.
    Phoenix. Check.

Old Man Logan. Checkish.

Black Suit Spidey. Checwhaaaaa? Okay, let me pretend this is SECRET WARS Spidey. Checkish.

Goblin. Oh Lord. I love him and he IS truly one of the cornerstones of villainy, so......I'll allow it.

Punisher. GOODNIGHT!!!!!
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    .......clearly, I mention THE FIVE STAR'S RARITY, because that was their chance to START OVER and make that tier actually MEAN something.

Silver Surfer. Check.
    Phoenix. Check.

Old Man Logan. Checkish.

Black Suit Spidey. Checwhaaaaa? Okay, let me pretend this is SECRET WARS Spidey. Checkish.

Goblin. Oh Lord. I love him and he IS truly one of the cornerstones of villainy, so......I'll allow it.

Punisher. GOODNIGHT!!!!!

Maybe instead of having a machine gun, molotovs, a pistol and a rocket launcher, his 5* version will have...uh...what trumps a rocket launcher? Gotta be 5* worthy, too. Hrm. Well, it's a toss up between 5* Punisher riding on the back of a robot T-Rex with laser eyes and chainsaw hands that is itself riding on the back of a giant shark, or else he has his own Death Star.