Updates Arriving With Champion Levels *Updated

Options

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also in this update: the devs will sneak into your house, knock all your books off the shelf, dog-ear your comics, erase everything on the DVR, leave the milk out on the counter, kick your puppy, and pee on your rug.

They better not. That rug ties the room together, man.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    The dude abides.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know I usually have some sort of response, but this idea is on another level. Like I literally can't even insult or compliment or anything. I don't have the energy. So I'll put as much thought and research into this post as the idea being presented to me.

And I actually explained my thought process far more too.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm hoping that this doesn't mean the availability of in-game HP decreases. Sounds like a decent amount of players will no longer have a need to purchase HP since they get enough through regular play for shields and slots. Best way to make people buy HP again is to slow down that available in-game stream. Especially if HP is rewarded for Championing rewards. This would be terrible, especially with the rate they're popping out new characters.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
      3 and 4-Star Hero powers have been adjusted. Powers are stronger at lower levels, slightly weaker at medium levels and unchanged at Max Level.
    I assume this is so everyone will stop soft capping and to make everyone want to max out their characters.

Probably it will make those 4* just much better at levels 70-120 so you can actually play with them sometimes, and want to level them up. Or e.g. if Level 94 Daredevil seems as strong as 94 as Ares/OBW then spending ISO on him might become more attractive. Seeing as it is super cheap to level guys to 120 anyways... Dunno.

I first read it as the POWERS are getting changed, (e.g. X-Force's green not sucking tinykitties at rank 1-2), you know, to make those characters more playable when not fully covered. But it sounds like they mean character level. Which is weird because if you can have (current) level 140 effectiveness with a (new) 120, you get less bang for your buck overall leveling to 166.

... That's probably the idea, actually: making the ISO you do spend seem like a more meaningful choice. If Leveling all your 3* dudes from 120 to 140 won't get you much benefit, you're better off keeping them at 120 and picking a couple guys to push to 166. So yeah, like the quoted dude said above.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Options
    Boommike wrote:
    I'm hoping that this doesn't mean the availability of in-game HP decreases. Sounds like a decent amount of players will no longer have a need to purchase HP since they get enough through regular play for shields and slots. Best way to make people buy HP again is to slow down that available in-game stream. Especially if HP is rewarded for Championing rewards. This would be terrible, especially with the rate they're popping out new characters.

This might be a strategy they deploy once they realize people stop buying it at all anymore. Or, they'll just start tacking on CP costs to slots as well, and just continue further transitioning the "premium currency" towards CP instead of gold.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    R92:

Hi,

Exciting news with this new update! We're always striving for new ways for players to progress and grow their rosters, and we've come up with an amazing new way for players to allocate their in-game resources.

ISO-8 can now only be used to level 1* and 2* characters. 3*, 4* and 5* characters are now leveled with Hero Points, at the low, low cost of 1,000 HP per level! We hope you're all as excited about this new system as we are, and hope to see everyone's roster grow proportionally with the amount of $$$ you funnel to us.

We realize that using Hero Points for leveling may have a negative effect on players ability to purchase roster slots for their characters, so we have upgraded that cost too! Roster slots can no longer be bought with Hero Points, and are now available for the low cost of 100 Command Points. This should allow everyone to roster their favorite heroes more easily!

Whats New:
    Dark Avengers PvE -- New enemy scaling! AI enemies now cap out at level 500 to account for everyone's championed roster!

The first of 7 New characters for this month - Bone Claw Wolverine! Play in a 14 day Heroic Story event for a chance to win this exciting new 4* Wolverine, cuz y'all can never get enough Logan!!

A change to the boost system - You now start battles with -2 in each color of AP...UNLESS you buy the brand new "Square Zero" AP Boost packs, granting you +2 AP in all colors! Buy a set of 3 of this exciting new boost for only 5 Command Points! What a deal!
  • kalex716 wrote:
    Boommike wrote:

This might be a strategy they deploy once they realize people stop buying it at all anymore. Or, they'll just start tacking on CP costs to slots as well, and just continue further transitioning the "premium currency" towards CP instead of gold.

I get the feeling they only made this change knowing that "Most people don't buy HP to spend on covers, they buy it for roster slots/token packs/whatever"

Like most of this series of changes looks to be catering more towards the lower levels of the game, and them buying stuff, and that the top-tier 4* owners are not the main currency buyers.

But idk. I don't have their numbers.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    Also in this update: the devs will sneak into your house, knock all your books off the shelf, dog-ear your comics, erase everything on the DVR, leave the milk out on the counter, kick your puppy, and pee on your rug.

They better not. That rug ties the room together, man.

You meant to pee on the rug of Mr Lebowski, man. I'm the Dude! You know, that or His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or Il Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    But well... I hope they are either pretty confident in their numbers on how many people spend money whaling covers compared to how much money is spent getting Dem Roster Slots at lower levels, because it sounds like a pretty significant part of the forumbase prefers to whale to covers here...
    The forum base is largely a self-selected group of players committed and nerdy enough to play this game way more obsessively than the average player. Our reactions (and our play styles) are probably very different from the majority of players.

People that aren't as dedicated to the game as the average forum player might just quit once they find out their HP can only be used for shields and slots, without any prior warning
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I know (think?) there's been no mention of it, but I'm praying that given all of these changes that almost all involve spending a ton of ISO, (leveling characters to max, cost to Champion), that hopefully one of the "quality of life" changes will be another ISO cost adjustment on leveling.

Maybe not likely, but it would make a huge difference.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know (think?) there's been no mention of it, but I'm praying that given all of these changes that almost all involve spending a ton of ISO, (leveling characters to max, cost to Champion), that hopefully one of the "quality of life" changes will be another ISO cost adjustment on leveling.

Maybe not likely, but it would make a huge difference.
    that would be nice to see. or some adjustment to any of the following: 2 days of LRs, 20 iso

you know, the big adjustment they made up to 120 a while back meant a lot of softcappers stopping there, or 140. now they apparently disliked that people did that so they come out with a system that only kicks in when they're 166. if they wanted to really encourage 166s, lowering those numbers from 120 to 166 sure would help. I'm champing my maxed guys, but only maxed 3 for the sole purpose of champing (torch, hood, and loki) and it was only because 1) have a ton of torch covers like everyone else and 2) my hood and loki dupes can still hide behind others and do what they need to do. I don't see myself maxing more 3s for champing when I have a half-dozen 4*s ready to level.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I don't see myself maxing more 3s for champing when I have a half-dozen 4*s ready to level.

I'm with you, there. I have leveled up all the good 3*s to 166 (ie cyc, if, sw, bp etc), as well as plenty of questionable ones (daredevil, qs, ). So the only non-166s I have are the basically worthless ones (beast, spidey, doc oc, etc), ie ones that don't stir an ounce of fear in any pvp'er.

So yeah I'll champion all my maxed 4s, 3s and 2s within the next few weeks. But then I'll save all my iso for leveling up more 4*s (and maybe even some 5*s if I'm lucky). I may even need to finally level up my fully-covered IW so that I can champion her. But maybe not... I'll never be able to use her, even at lv 400+ (whatever the max champ'd boosted level is).
  • Kirinknight
    Kirinknight Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can we get a clear explain on the logic and reasoning for the move from HP to CP power upgrade? I have only 1 maxed 4* after 1.5 years of play and am getting crushed by teams with 10+ maxed 4* rosters (mostly Jeanbusters). There was always a hope that I could boost catchup if I ever saved enough HP or some lunch money. Now just feels like their lead is locked in and the price of reaching them is unattainable with neither time nor money. Does this change not just protect the top tier from competitors catching up? Reminds me of the real estate market and how the rich have priced out the poor from ever catching up after buying in for cheap. icon_e_sad.gif
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ... Maybe it's just ethical. I have a friend who sometimes can't help but spend too much money on this game, in an addict way, not a 'paying for entertainment' way. He's got a maxed Fr. Mantastic. What. Logging in and seeing our alliance just got 17 more CP is cool, but less so when I think "oh my buddy must be depressed again and trying to cheer himself up". More accurately, frustrated at the difficulty and spending money he really shouldn't be. Doubt it. But after this change he probably won't fall for it anymore.

With a big roster I didn't need to expand much, I felt 2500HP a cover was reasonable, but clearly, many people didn't (I imagine that the "do you use HP to buy covers" survey played a key role).

STILL, if $100 on 10 guaranteed covers is a bad deal, $100 on 50 token pulls that will statistically amount to about 2 covers is so, so much worse. Until they boost the odds (like Naughty or Nice) HP is roster slots only, as far as I'm concerned...
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]2, 3 and 4-star characters will see a slight difference in match damage and health.
    "slight difference" my ****. The update to match damage nerfs PX/GSBW, as I suspect you guys intended.

As always, thanks for the heads up...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]2, 3 and 4-star characters will see a slight difference in match damage and health.
    "slight difference" my ****. The update to match damage nerfs PX/GSBW, as I suspect you guys intended.

Yeah, my 200 PX now does higher blue damage than my 166 SW/GSBW, will have to get one of them to 176 at least
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One thing I'm still wondering: Didn't they also announce a 20 CP token? I would like to know before I spend my CP whether or not this is a thing that is happening.
  • MaxxPowerz wrote:
    One thing I'm still wondering: Didn't they also announce a 20 CP token? I would like to know before I spend my CP whether or not this is a thing that is happening.

They did!

However, said nothing about the when or what exactly it is, other then a Legendary token with a lower chance of 5*s and a higher chance of 4*s.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    "David wrote:

You mean people might have to use a different combination other than winfinite? icon_e_surprised.gif

devs are doing people a favour really and turning their stale combos into new ones. No wonder people complain about the game being boring and all the same when they keep using one team for everything.

*Note this is not aimed specifically at you Simonsez but rather the millions of people rocking that combo all the time