January Community Video: Champions Feature

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?
    That's a great question. Otherwise, obviously I don't need a second Hood anymore.

Hood is actually one of the few dupes that I might keep around. Champion both of them, but only put levels into one of them.

All of my other dupes just became roster spots, though.
  • colwag wrote:
    I am curious about what the bonus prize for each level will be.

Like, it's mentioned that for every cover you put onto a Champion, you'll get something back.

Specific Covers was mentioned, and I can't imagine a 2* Champion getting anything less then a 2* Cover back, potentially a 3*.

I'd expect any Iso amount to be at least 250, since that seems to be a standard low Iso reward based on absolutely nothing.

Getting 1 CP and 25 HP every now and then would be a p. sweet deal too.

And I'd imagine you'd get stuff like 3* covers, 1K Iso, 50+ HP at deeper Champion levels too.

I want to know if it'll be worth it, darnit! Somebody get a Sandbox'd account and write out the Champion rewards, dangnabit.
    Heck, their example was boosting IM40 and getting Hulkbuster covers because it's Iron Man, or 2* Storm and getting 3* Storm covers. Obviously not for all, but even some? Yes please.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    Oh golly, I haven't even thought a ton about how to use the at-will respecing in fun ways.

Like, even on builds that are pretty predictable most of the time.

I can imagine that if fighting Carnage + Feeder Mooks like you are in the current Venom Bomb PVE, StormNeto would be pretty useful there.

The standard build for Storm is 5 greenflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 yellowflag.png

However, if you're facing Carnage with some Red Feeders, you're probably going to eat some team-damaging Symbiote Scythes.

So, knowing you're probably going to get hit by those, maybe changing to 3 greenflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 yellowflag.png , for a stronger Rising Tempest counter-attack would be better?

I know at 3 covers, that passive has saved my butt multiple times. Now, if you can set it up properly so that Scythes hits your team so they're all below 50%, but Storm lives, and you toss out 3 SuperRisingTempests? You just won the match, fast.

This is all pretty exciting!
    There's a couple characters that I've respec'ed more than once over time to change their role, especially Captain marvel and Luke Cage -- it would be great to stop waiting for and wasting covers to do this!
  • Any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?
    That's a great question. Otherwise, obviously I don't need a second Hood anymore.

Hood is actually one of the few dupes that I might keep around. Champion both of them, but only put levels into one of them.

All of my other dupes just became roster spots, though.
    Yeah, admittedly, he's a bad example for dupe character becoming obsolete, but still.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Infinite re-specs for free? THANK YOU!

This news alone is super fun and makes me very excited at least on a casual level. The idea of bringing in Antman with 3 blue or 5 blue depending on the matchup is great! A lot of the 4* characters released have 3 solid skills to choose from so being able to run xDP at 5 purple with XF but then 3 purple with other characters really makes my day. Can't thank you enough for this icon_e_smile.gif

Champions Feature also sounds pretty fun. I'm genuinely impressed by the rewards per cover shown in the video. ISO costs are still a major problem but the initial champion cost is well worth it based on what we saw with Hulkbuster. You've successfully made me want to champion every 3* and 4* I own thus giving me another super long term goal to strive towards. Well done!

My concerns with the champion feature have been expressed here:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37514

To sum it up I really don't see the merit in giving 3, 4 and 5* tiers 100 added levels EACH. Especially when 5*'s already dominate and a single level added to a 5* means WAY more than a single level to a 4* or 3* character. I was really hoping this feature would bring a tighter balance between the tiers. Make it so 5*'s are still superior of course but close that gap significantly.

Really excited for the new feature and just as excited for these quality of life changes coming SOON...
    Hopefully that's not Blizzard levels of soon meaning Q4 2016 if we're lucky.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Guys, don't post spoilers! Besides, all that datamined/leaked stuff is old and wrong."

> January video
    > Championing is exactly as it was described in the leak

GG no re
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    They specifically mentioned that when you level up IM-40 you would eventually get hulkbuster covers and each character would be different. I'm curious what they will do with those characters that don't have a 3*/4* equivalent.

Heck I could spend hours going through all the reward charts and mapping out who I want to champion.

I just want a date on when this will go live as I have 50 3*/4* covers sitting in the queue.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    It all boils down to the rewards given to Champion a character. If there are "juicy" rewards in them other than 20 Iso then it could be worth it to toss 5k into one of your 2*s even if you are a 3*-4* transitioned like myself. Just another wait and see moment for us... You could probably reap the 2* rewards pretty fast. I know my 2* Hawkeye will net a ton of rewards if it is worth it.
  • madok wrote:
    They specifically mentioned that when you level up IM-40 you would eventually get hulkbuster covers and each character would be different. I'm curious what they will do with those characters that don't have a 3*/4* equivalent.

Heck I could spend hours going through all the reward charts and mapping out who I want to champion.

I just want a date on when this will go live as I have 50 3*/4* covers sitting in the queue.

Here's a question:

Can I Respec IM-40 to be a 1/5/5 cover or a 2/5/5 cover at will?

He's kinda special like that.

...and if you're the sort of person who likes Hard Mode you can spec out 1/1/1 cover versions of your character for added pointless challenge.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    colwag wrote:
    Here's a question:

I had that exact same thought too. Can we please respec to under 13 to fix your bad character design?
  • madok wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    Here's a question:

I had that exact same thought too. Can we please respec to under 13 to fix your bad character design?

Like this'll probably be a short-term problem (since they're talking about tossing out a bunch of 3* buffs in the near future, and guess who needs them?) but I want flexibility to be as freaking dumb as I want, darn it.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scenario, my JG is 525, 250, and i have 2 green covers in queue, can I do anything without buying the 3rd blue first?
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Is Iron Man (Model 40) is going to be worth championing? His best build is 5/5/2, which is only 12 covers out of 13. Will we ever see this character not suck?

How will this effect DDQ? There are 2 nodes that are restricted to 2* or lower, will 2* champions still be eligible?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's the most frustrating part, they drop this video, THEN DISAPPEAR WITHOUT ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS!

love him or hate him, IceIX would at least hang around and do some Q&A in these threads
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Cymmina wrote:
    How will this effect DDQ? There are 2 nodes that are restricted to 2* or lower, will 2* champions still be eligible?

"Everything continues to work the way they did before (buffs, etc)."

Guessing that applies to tier restrictions too. Otherwise they'd have said something.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:

In the next breath they specifically mentioned that Magneto would net you Professor X covers - as the character is heavily linked to Magneto. My only concern is what this possibly means for any 4*'s/5*'s to be released in the future? Let's say that Grocket and Gamora both eventually give out Star-lord covers - I think that's a reasonable assumption at this time. Now what if either Grocket or Gamora get a 4* treatment of their own? Yeah, that's unlikely, but doesn't it now seem a little weird that the 3*'s don't give the "right" 4* covers? Perhaps a better example might be Psylocke. There are a few characters in game right now that she could give covers for - in particular there's the X Force duo. So what happens if X Force Psylocke turns up, or Angel?

I know that it doesn't really matter. Those new characters will still be available via tokens, of course; it will just create a very definitive line between the characters that were release before championing and the characters that were released afterwards.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Redrobot30 wrote:
    It all boils down to the rewards given to Champion a character. If there are "juicy" rewards in them other than 20 Iso then it could be worth it to toss 5k into one of your 2*s even if you are a 3*-4* transitioned like myself. Just another wait and see moment for us... You could probably reap the 2* rewards pretty fast. I know my 2* Hawkeye will net a ton of rewards if it is worth it.

One way of looking at it: the level 144 reward, tentatively, is 100 HP. You can either look at that as straight up 5000 ISO for 100 HP, or as a mixture of outlay + opportunity cost of 17,500 ISO per 2* you max-champion. And that's ignoring any other rewards that might be in the mix. My guess is "worth it" will be in the eye of the beholder, but I know from my perspective the 2* in tacos won't be quite as annoying for me, at least for a little while, because they'll have a utility beyond just insta-sell.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    To sum it up I really don't see the merit in giving 3, 4 and 5* tiers 100 added levels EACH. Especially when 5*'s already dominate and a single level added to a 5* means WAY more than a single level to a 4* or 3* character. I was really hoping this feature would bring a tighter balance between the tiers. Make it so 5*'s are still superior of course but close that gap significantly.

But with he amount of time or money needed to get one extra 5* cover you could get several extra 4*s, and so going down on each rarity tier. I think it will balance out (except for mega-insane whales, which as always are a tier removed from the rest.)
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    Someone in my group asked me if I had a different stance on all my dupes because of the feature. Easy answer, nope. I've got 3 usable SW's and IM40s, multiple 3* and 4* dupes (list in signature). I've underleveled all my 3* at 140, and plan to take my 4* to only 200. Championing 4* is something I will never choose to do. 3* is a possibility, and I will definitely be championing some 2*. I would definitely prefer a dupe than a championed 3* because of the immediate usefulness of the dupe (saving healthpacks in pve). Choice between a 1 cover dupe or a 167 champion, slowly gaining levels as covers come in, easy choice for me. Covers do take a while to come in, especially with 40 3* in rotation, so it will take a while for anyone not willing to buy out covers. I do like what I see so far, as it makes it seem like Demiurge is doing things with a long term goal in mind, which hopefully means that the game might be around for a lot longer.

Seeing the video and hearing them makes me miss the presence of Demiurge guys on the forums even more.
  • Raven
    Raven Posts: 12
    Does the ability to respect will include removing powers? It would be nice to have a streamlined team that would only use the powers you want on defense.