January Community Video: Champions Feature

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    The real question is how does Championing a character affect your PVP defensive team?
  • slidecage wrote:
    great feature but you missed the boat.. IT could of been great if only one thing was changed

YOU CAN PUSH EXTRA COVERS INTO ANY PERSON and get rewards even if you did not have them to 166.. I mean there are tons of players who do not have the ISO to push their people to 166. it seems this is once again geared toward VETS while the noobies are crushed to learn they can not play.

maybe allow people to add covers to anyone BUT not be able to make them a champion to 166 would of been a better fit. I mean someone who does not have 166 people this will not help them at all

I don't have any 166 people, and I'm excited for this, because of all the 2*s I have that'll be Champion'd soon, which will also make it easier to push the 3*s I do have (And the Iso I have stored up to do so) up to higher levels too.

And the 144 -> 166 jump is way less scary then the 94 -> 166 jump.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can champion a 5*???

EDIT: Upon reflection, this isn't as crazy as it sounds. While there'll be some marginal benefit, it'll really just be a badge of honor for the crazy spenders. Even the biggest spender is going to have at most, 20-30 covers on those poor masses who just have a maxed 5* and a bowl of gruel. It's non-zero utility, which is good for them, but not much beyond that, which is good for us.

Is there a typo? Because the video only says 2*,3* and 4* can be championed.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    great feature but you missed the boat.. IT could of been great if only one thing was changed

YOU CAN PUSH EXTRA COVERS INTO ANY PERSON and get rewards even if you did not have them to 166.. I mean there are tons of players who do not have the ISO to push their people to 166. it seems this is once again geared toward VETS while the noobies are crushed to learn they can not play.

maybe allow people to add covers to anyone BUT not be able to make them a champion to 166 would of been a better fit. I mean someone who does not have 166 people this will not help them at all

I don't have any 166 people, and I'm excited for this, because of all the 2*s I have that'll be Champion'd soon, which will also make it easier to push the 3*s I do have (And the Iso I have stored up to do so) up to higher levels too.

And the 144 -> 166 jump is way less scary then the 94 -> 166 jump.

its the 3 star 120 to 166 you should fear jump icon_e_smile.gif
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    "We're gonna start to see 2*s that are creeping up into the 3* range..."

Well, no, because the "3* range" will become level 266, while your poor 2*s are over a hundred levels lower at 144. If anything, once the dust settles, this will create even more of a disparity between the tiers.

Granted, the amount of players with viable level 266 3* teams is going to be very limited, but give it a few months...

I don't mean to sound cynical, I really don't. I think this is a great feature that will breathe some new life into the game. It's certainly gotten everyone very excited!

BTW, if you think the fees are too high, remember that you get 3700 ISO every day just for completing DDQ. It's not so unobtainable. The hard part will be balancing the urge to level your in-progress characters vs. championing one of your maxed characters, but that will plateau soon enough. We'll all get used to the new mechanic.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    In the long run, higher star characters are generally still going to be better than lower ones with higher levels, due to more powerful skills. See the difference between the two Captain Americas. The two star version will still stink even with 100 levels more than a nonboosted 3 star one.

Are you so sure about this statement? Lower tier characters scale fantastically well. Don't believe me I got a Juggy "headbutt" to show you.

But I'll take your statement at face value and say that, "I'll be really curious to see the stats on a champion 2* cap at (144), vs 166 3* cap.

First off, you can't champion 1 stars, so Juggy is a moot point. Second off, it isn't the stats, but the skills themselves which generally get better. There are exceptions, but in general, a 3 star will be better than a 2 star and a 4 star will be better than a 3 star. Obviously top tier ones will be different and worth championing. Honestly, I would rather a level 370 Hulkbuster than a level 266 Cyclops. It is a close one, but the extra health the championed 4 stars will have will overshadow the championed 3 stars. Of course, the reality is you won't be getting 100 extra Hulkbuster covers anytime in the next year. Even getting an extra 20 3 star characters of only worthwhile ones is going to take months.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    At level 144 OBW and Ares are no-brainers, maybe even Storm too. Level 266 Kamala, Clops, Mags, Steve, Thor, Cage and Fist...wow!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

Helps players transition to the next tier. I do not see that happening at all

ALSO say you play pvp now and fight pure 166 teams YET your people are not 166

the 166 push everyone to champs and get 20 covers in a few months

you now have a 140 team Against their 166 X 20 champ levels

Quality of life changes in the pipeline (most notably, event scaling).

love to know what that emans

They made this feature to force you to level your characters!
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I feel like i might be misunderstanding this, is each additional cover (once you champion a character) worth one solitary level?

If so, who is going to be able to actually get a tangible benefit out of it? I like the idea and it seems cool, but who ends up with 50 3 star.png covers of the same character just lying around?
  • Hayek
    Hayek Posts: 96 Match Maker
    From the designers:

"One of the reasons I'm excited about this feature is because it makes whenever I open a pack, everything in it is going to be useful to me."

Sadly that's not true for all players, or even most players I know. I currently don't need 47 out of the 72 possible 4* character/color combinations. Every champion 4* champion I make reduces that number by 3. With my current ISO hoard, I will be able to make 4 or (at most) 5 champions. 15/47 is a little less than 1/3. That means that even with 2 characters already at 270 and enough ISO to take 3 250s up to 270 (that's 270k ISO FYI), 2/3s of what would have been junk to me before will still be junk to me now. And I can't even consider spending ISO to bring 3*s up to 166 when I have such a huge ISO deficit already.
  • Loftus wrote:
    I feel like i might be misunderstanding this, is each additional cover (once you champion a character) worth one solitary level?

If so, who is going to be able to actually get a tangible benefit out of it? I like the idea and it seems cool, but who ends up with 50 3 star.png covers of the same character just lying around?

Yeah, that's what it seems like.

I don't think a lot of people are going to get Level 266 Iron Fists, but I do like it in the way that like, "Covers of maxed out characters are not useless". You don't get as mad when you draw the 50th Quicksilver Blue cover because you can at least use it for something other then 500 Iso.

I can't wait for the person showing off their Level 266 Ragarok because that is what the game won't stop shoving down their throat constantly. That's going to be a pretty amusing bell curve.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    "We're gonna start to see 2*s that are creeping up into the 3* range..."

Well, no, because the "3* range" will become level 266, while your poor 2*s are over a hundred levels lower at 144. If anything, once the dust settles, this will create even more of a disparity between the tiers.

Granted, the amount of players with viable level 266 3* teams is going to be very limited, but give it a few months...

But I think you miss the point that getting the covers to the next tier is hard. I remember how hard I had to fight for every single 3* cover.

So while I agree their will be some stratification, I think the developers intent was this

2-3 star transtion player
    "While I'm not quite strong enough enough to get four 3* per event, I can pretty consistent get 2* covers at will. So I will keep upgrading my 2*, until I can consistently win the next higher set of covers."

Really this is just blurring the lines between a high level 2* player and weak 3* player.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loftus wrote:

Now you have reason to grind for 3* covers during PVE.. they want us to play more PVE.. more grinding.. more healthpacks.. more, more, moreeeeeeeeeee.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Phumade wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    In the long run, higher star characters are generally still going to be better than lower ones with higher levels, due to more powerful skills. See the difference between the two Captain Americas. The two star version will still stink even with 100 levels more than a nonboosted 3 star one.

Are you so sure about this statement? Lower tier characters scale fantastically well. Don't believe me I got a Juggy "headbutt" to show you.

But I'll take your statement at face value and say that, "I'll be really curious to see the stats on a champion 2* cap at (144), vs 166 3* cap.

To add to this, what about when 2* Cap is buffed and 3* isnt? Isnt that a lvl 250 vs lvl 166? Lvl 250 OBW/Ares are SCARY.
  • I am curious about what the bonus prize for each level will be.

Like, it's mentioned that for every cover you put onto a Champion, you'll get something back.

Specific Covers was mentioned, and I can't imagine a 2* Champion getting anything less then a 2* Cover back, potentially a 3*.

I'd expect any Iso amount to be at least 250, since that seems to be a standard low Iso reward based on absolutely nothing.

Getting 1 CP and 25 HP every now and then would be a p. sweet deal too.

And I'd imagine you'd get stuff like 3* covers, 1K Iso, 50+ HP at deeper Champion levels too.

I want to know if it'll be worth it, darnit! Somebody get a Sandbox'd account and write out the Champion rewards, dangnabit.
  • I just hope the rewards are good. I would be completely happy if most of the rewards are ISO, but more than you would get from simply selling the cover.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Wondering if there will be a refocusing on rewards. Depending on the champion progression bonuses, people may want to go after the more accessible lower tier in order to grab the next higher of a character. 2* Wolverine will supposedly give Patch progressions, and Patch will give Xforce? That's what I think I heard anyway. Will be interesting to see what if any 4* progressions are inside the 3*'s that don't have an equivalent 4*.
  • Any insight on players with duplicate characters?

For instance, I have about 10 dup 3* and 4* characters, any chance I can merge them with my max covered/leveled characters?
    That's a great question. Otherwise, obviously I don't need a second Hood anymore.
  • Oh golly, I haven't even thought a ton about how to use the at-will respecing in fun ways.

Like, even on builds that are pretty predictable most of the time.

I can imagine that if fighting Carnage + Feeder Mooks like you are in the current Venom Bomb PVE, StormNeto would be pretty useful there.

The standard build for Storm is 5 greenflag.png 5 blueflag.png 3 yellowflag.png

However, if you're facing Carnage with some Red Feeders, you're probably going to eat some team-damaging Symbiote Scythes.

So, knowing you're probably going to get hit by those, maybe changing to 3 greenflag.png 5 blueflag.png 5 yellowflag.png , for a stronger Rising Tempest counter-attack would be better?

I know at 3 covers, that passive has saved my butt multiple times. Now, if you can set it up properly so that Scythes hits your team so they're all below 50%, but Storm lives, and you toss out 3 SuperRisingTempests? You just won the match, fast.

This is all pretty exciting!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    Wondering if there will be a refocusing on rewards. Depending on the champion progression bonuses, people may want to go after the more accessible lower tier in order to grab the next higher of a character. 2* Wolverine will supposedly give Patch progressions, and Patch will give Xforce? That's what I think I heard anyway. Will be interesting to see what if any 4* progressions are inside the 3*'s that don't have an equivalent 4*.
    They said that some will be thematically related. In the video, you could see a 4* Captain America (Sam Wilson) cover in 3* Cap (Steve Rogers') rewards. I wouldn't be surprised if 3* Black Widow gives you her boss, 4* Nick Fury.

Will 4* champions ever directly give out 5* covers, or only through Legendary Tokens? I expect the latter, at least for the next several months.