Championing info is starting to go live in the press!

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:
    It still sucks that this does nothing to help people that RNGesus hates and gives extra covers for a character you can't use. I had 4 LTs in a row give me two Fury blues (3/5/0) and Carnage greens (1/4/5). Which were 2 of the 4 4* covers I had maxed on characters at the time.

I do love grinding for 7 days for a 1000 iso8.png.

That's exactly the reason why I rarely grind pve for LT any more. It's a let down any time you win a useless cover from LT, but it's such a massive letdown to think that you ruined your life by playing this crazy game for 4+ hours a day, multiple days in a row, all for just 1000 iso. I hated needing to tune out those closest to me, especially when it was all for nothing.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quick note to the GSBW vs. KK detractors on the first page, that is not what Kabir said.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    woopie wrote:
    That said, we've made a big push to litter MPQ with obtainable Legendary Tokens to help the average player along the 4-star transition. If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault.

Does that really reflect D3's collective opinion of how easy it is to get Legendary tokens? Because if so... that's a pretty substantial disconnect from reality, from where I'm standing. I play MPQ daily, often far more than is reasonable, and I've never once gotten a Legendary from the PvE side. Not even close. Of course I also don't grind through a completion cycle every eight hours.

What's your idea of "often far more than is reasonable" ? I can do 3 clears per sub of a PvE and get the LT pretty easily. Maybe 1 grind down on a later sub.

Well, there's the rub. "Reasonable" is a completely subjective term, and it'll therefore be different for everyone. In the most general case, I'm maintaining that the amount of time required per day over an extended period of time in order to get a Legendary token out of PvP doesn't match the phrase "easily obtained". That's just my opinion. D3 has the real data, and if they show that 95% or even 50% of their players are picking up those tokens, then I'll go ahead and conclude that I'm an outlier. Until then, though, I'm going to rely on my intuition that Hemrajani's comments aren't a good reflection of reality.

As for me personally? I'll spend an hour or so a day on MPQ, split up into bits and chunks. Maybe more on some days, maybe less. To me that's a substantial chunk of time to spend playing a match-3 game on my phone. Somebody else out there (not necessarily you) might be spending three or six hours a day on this, and they might consider that "reasonable". Their opinion is not wrong. But I strongly suspect it's not representative.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    My favorite bit was in the closing:

"MPQ is currently available on iOS, Android and PC. A slightly different version is also available on PS3, PS4, and Xbox 360."

... my emphasis added icon_lol.gif

I know right?
    The original un-edited line from the interview makes it sound like the console/mobile versions are exactly the same.

At this rate, the console version is almost a year behind on content and bug/feature fixes.
    Glaring differences are no Goon Countdown ownership notification and some top tier 3 Star characters completely missing.
    It's a dangerous game to try and support multiple platforms when updating one version is very restrictive in how often it can be updated, and when it is updated they aren't free (hence the Hulk PVE event added as "DLC"). Many PC ports, especially of Micro-transaction heavy games, have this problem when trying to make a console version.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Without getting into specifics on the OP's play style, I will say this - if the deveoper is honest that the intent is for a consistent amount of regular play to lead to steady Legendary tokens in PvE, then they need to set the totals so that a consistent amount of regular play leads to steady LT's in PvE.

That's currently not the case, with some PvE's rquiring more play than others.

I wonder if they'd consider putting one of these new 4* tokens at a progression total closer to, say, two full clears per day, either in place of the LT at between just-under-3 clears and around 4 clears, or in addition to an LT placed at the 3+ clears level.

They could put a 20cp prize a little after the 3* cover, and change current LT progression to be another 5cp. That way people could choose how much grinding to do based on which kind of token they wanted.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Makes sense to me. If I'm playing PvE for the LT, I'm probably putting in 60-90 minutes a day on that (20-30 min a clear) on top of PvP and DDQ. PvP, I have a good enough roster to get to 1.1k in about 40-50 minutes (broken into 2 play sessions) and add another 10 minutes to do the last matches to hit 1300 all done in the last 24 hours of a PvP. So I'm probably averaging between 1-2 hours a day when I'm not skipping or grinding PvE.

I grinded for MM and Venom and let me tell you, 3 hours a day of just PvE (normal clears + 2 hour grind down) is definitely not reasonable...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, there's the rub. "Reasonable" is a completely subjective term, and it'll therefore be different for everyone. In the most general case, I'm maintaining that the amount of time required per day over an extended period of time in order to get a Legendary token out of PvP doesn't match the phrase "easily obtained". That's just my opinion. D3 has the real data, and if they show that 95% or even 50% of their players are picking up those tokens, then I'll go ahead and conclude that I'm an outlier. Until then, though, I'm going to rely on my intuition that Hemrajani's comments aren't a good reflection of reality.

As for me personally? I'll spend an hour or so a day on MPQ, split up into bits and chunks. Maybe more on some days, maybe less. To me that's a substantial chunk of time to spend playing a match-3 game on my phone. Somebody else out there (not necessarily you) might be spending three or six hours a day on this, and they might consider that "reasonable". Their opinion is not wrong. But I strongly suspect it's not representative.
    this was my point to a friend when I first heard:
    If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story event.
    a little misrepresented, depending on your definition of 'easily'. "daily play" could be as simple as ddq. pve LTs bump the total required playing time to ~3 hrs per day (if you include ddq and some pvp, which I have to), and that is still a ton just for a spin of the rng slot machine.
    the 20iso fix and older 3* buffs will be nice and they are at least getting lip service. not sure just how much the championing feature will actually help someone mid-transition like me. while I am hopeful, I'm not expecting this to help me much. it will likely help the unlucky older vets that have solid roster of 270s. will also help those with 166s starting their 4* transition. of course I could be wrong about it all and it help me a ton - no idea. all speculation still.
  • I didn't see a link to the Marvel.com article (apologies if it was posted already)

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/25590/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_champion_levels
  • Xerobu11
    Xerobu11 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    ISO commodities just went through the roof.
  • seth_is_OK wrote:
    I didn't see a link to the Marvel.com article (apologies if it was posted already)

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/25590/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_champion_levels
    The predictions of obscene cost to champion were only off by a little.
  • I am kinda excited about championing, because I see it as dividing the transistions into little half-steps.

Like, right now, going from 2-3*, you get a fully covered roster of 2*s, and you may have like, 6 cover 3*s or something.

As of right now, you can probably get a 3* cover to a higher level then a 2* cover, despite having very low covers and being way less useful. A level 110 3* is probably not as good as a Level 94 2*, despite the higher level, which is kinda wonky and weird.

So, you're at the 2* transistion, and seeing silver SHIELD logos on covers are pretty annoying, while you're hoping for that Gold. Either you're messing up your own scaling as you level 3*s before they're ready, or you're softcapping them until they are, being stuck at Level 94 for your guys for quite a while.

But now you're championing your 2*s. Seeing the 2* booby prize isn't as bad (for a while), and you're getting a few bonuses for leveling them up which is nice. Lets say the new Champion max is at 150, hypothetically.

Thus, if you were one of those people who were leveling your 3*s as you got them, they wouldn't be better then your Champion 2s until they had 11-13 covers, which is when they SHOULD be better anyways. You're also likely not soft capping them as you're making pretty decent progress with your 2*s up along the leveling line.

And when you got a full 3* roster maxed out, repeat this with 4*s.

Sounds like it could lead to more steady progress and less softcapping, which would be nice.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    seth_is_OK wrote:
    I didn't see a link to the Marvel.com article (apologies if it was posted already)

So... Joe quit like weeks ago. I think aesthetocyst's prediction that this was all "pre-recorded" in mid-December is probably accurate.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    seth_is_OK wrote:

The predictions of obscene cost to champion were only off by a little.

I like the last screenshot in that article, where the player has just short of a billion ISO to spend.

Why, that's almost fifty million PvP fights!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    a **** moment... from joe in the marvel.com link:
    2 stars can gain an extra 50 levels; 3, 4, and 5 stars can gain an extra 100 levels. This lets each tier get to nearly the next one with Champion Levels
    really? 5* can be 'championed'? wow. how fast until we see a level 550 oml?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    orionpeace wrote:
    morph3us wrote:
    It benefits Demi far more to release this information to a gaming website in terms of advertising and press, than it does for them to release it to the forums first. In addition, most press websites will demand an exclusive on news (which might have a period of exclusivity, be it several hours or a day or so), which Demi would violate by releasing it here first (officially or unofficially).

Sit tight, the reds should show soon with more details, now that the press have done their thing.

You are giving Demi far more credit than I do on their ability to communicate effectively and timely.

I have facts on my side.

I guess you have faith.

There you go. Facts.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37511
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    You'd need 100 OML covers for that. Even by whale standards, that will take a while.

5000 ISO for a 2* and 7500 for a 3* is quite reasonable, to be honest, when it's a one time fee that grants you a potential 50 or 100 extra levels. If you had to pay ISO for those levels too, I could see the ISO cost being a deal breaker, but they (wisely) chose not to do that.
  • CNash wrote:
    You'd need 100 OML covers for that. Even by whale standards, that will take a while.

5000 ISO for a 2* and 7500 for a 3* is quite reasonable, to be honest, when it's a one time fee that grants you a potential 50 or 100 extra levels. If you had to pay ISO for those levels too, I could see the ISO cost being a deal breaker, but they (wisely) chose not to do that.

To be fair, for a 2*, that's also 12.5K Iso in potential cover sales you need to max em out, and 50K for a 3* in cover sales.

But you also GET stuff for leveling them up, too. Just probably not 57.5K Iso.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    We don't have any plans for new 1-3 star characters, but there's a good reason for this. At each rarity tier, the powers and complexity of characters goes way up, which is why at higher tiers, your characters have much cooler abilities. At some point in each rarity tier, the available powers for each character start to saturate, and new characters aren't as interesting because there's an older character that does almost everything the new character does. At forty 3-star characters, this started coming up more often.

As a result, new 3-star characters were overlooked because they just aren't that different from someone you already have covered. One personal example of this for me is Kamala Khan and Grey Suit Black Widow, who both have purple and green powers with similar effects. As a result, as much as I love Kamala, she doesn't get nearly as much love in my roster as my fully leveled Grey Suit Black Widow.

We continue creating new powers that let our 4 and 5-stars do more varied and interesting things, which makes for a more interesting game as you progress, and means there's more to look forward to as you continue playing.

But continue to release "2 actives + 1 passive" characters, full of boring and unvaried powers. Come on Kabir, I know Joe made a tonne of gaffes when he did these kinds of interviews on marvel.com but he's gone now so you're really going to have to step up your game.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    We don't have any plans for new 1-3 star characters, but there's a good reason for this. At each rarity tier, the powers and complexity of characters goes way up, which is why at higher tiers, your characters have much cooler abilities. At some point in each rarity tier, the available powers for each character start to saturate, and new characters aren't as interesting because there's an older character that does almost everything the new character does. At forty 3-star characters, this started coming up more often.

As a result, new 3-star characters were overlooked because they just aren't that different from someone you already have covered. One personal example of this for me is Kamala Khan and Grey Suit Black Widow, who both have purple and green powers with similar effects. As a result, as much as I love Kamala, she doesn't get nearly as much love in my roster as my fully leveled Grey Suit Black Widow.

We continue creating new powers that let our 4 and 5-stars do more varied and interesting things, which makes for a more interesting game as you progress, and means there's more to look forward to as you continue playing.

But continue to release "2 actives + 1 passive" characters, full of boring and unvaried powers. Come on Kabir, I know Joe made a tonne of gaffes when he did these kinds of interviews on marvel.com but he's gone now so you're really going to have to step up your game.

I don't know, I think the Passives tend to be the most interesting, if not the most character-defining abilities a character can have, and have the most room for new flexibility compared to most actives.

Only issue is that the passives also tend to make characters more situational, for better or worse? Like, Doctor Octopus isn't a great character, unless you're messing with Dakens or Carnages. Then he's suddenly decently better, and junk.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:

Not only that, just from the snapshots of champion leveling rewards we've seen, it looks like over time you'll make back more ISO than you paid to promote them. Think of it as an investment. I don't know if you'll also earn back the lost ISO per cover you would have gotten, but I suspect that between the ISO, HP, CP, and other rewards, it will still be a net gain to champion characters... in the long run.