Championing info is starting to go live in the press!

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    20 CP "Legendary or better" could be a vault with new "5*" tokens like 20000 ISO or 2500 HP.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Kabir didn't say they're changing the Legendary Token's cost - he calls it a "new token". I'm guessing it's 4* or greater, but with odds skewed more towards 4*s compared to the LT.

Nice to see confirmation that Championing is basically the same as everyone said it was going to be...
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    You make a Champion by adding additional covers to a level capped character. So they have to be at 94/166/270 in addition to having 13 covers.
    Turning a character into a champion creates ISO/HP/CP/tokens, rather than costing it.

That is interesting. And it looks like soft-cappers will be SOL.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    Kabir didn't say they're changing the Legendary Token's cost - he calls it a "new token". I'm guessing it's 4* or greater, but with odds skewed more towards 4*s compared to the LT.

Nice to see confirmation that Championing is basically the same as everyone said it was going to be...
    Instead of a new token for 20 commandpointsbig.png , let me choose the specific 4☆ cover I want
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    I didn't interpret anything they said as being a nerf for JG/HB. What they seemed to imply was that a new awesome combo will drop during the year that will replace them entirely.

I kinda agree with your interpretation. You could already argue, that ICEman is already stronger than HB.

I'm sure this feels like a gut punch to everyone who's upgrade hB/JG in the last 2 weeks, but honestly high level play is probably gonna require HB /JG anyway.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    You make a Champion by adding additional covers to a level capped character. So they have to be at 94/166/270 in addition to having 13 covers.
    Turning a character into a champion creates ISO/HP/CP/tokens, rather than costing it.

This seems very much in line with what they were alluding to before with character leveling being what was desired and not soft capping.

However... Those soft cappers are probably sitting on a ton of Iso.. So they'll move up pretty quick.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    The biggest question I think is what they're going to call this 20-CP token. Legs-and-dairy Token? Mythical Token? 4*-skin Token?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Anyone got a few million iso i can bum? Looks like since the cover raises the level cap, i would think you have to level to new max to add another cover, so the cost is a cover, then iso to go further.

Not how I've been hearing it. My understanding is there is an initial cost (CP, HP or ISO) then each cover you apply after that adds a level, as well as progression rewards (i.e. 25 HP for going from 94-95, 250 ISO from 95-96, 1 CP from 99-100, etc etc)

dude we all be rich if it was 2 stars or better and every 3 covers give you 25HP icon_e_smile.gif

was really hoping that every cover u sold gave you a chance to earn HP or CP

hopefully they drop the ISO LEVEL UP cost
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards

For a lot of my 3* and 4* guys, they're cover-maxed, but not level-maxed due to a lack of ISO. So I can't champion them until I bring them up to level 166/270? Ugh.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:

What you should fear more is they use that token to replace the progression/reward one.

It would actually make sense to replace the PvE progression award with that one (and lower the total points required a little bit), and have the "real" legendary be only at the 1300 PvP progression level. Why? Because anyone with a 3* roster (or even a 2* roster) can hit the PvE progression fairly consistently just by playing a lot, but you need to have a well-developed 4* team to hit 1300 consistently in PvE. Swapping out that legendary provides somewhat of an incentive for top-end 4* teams to move to PvP and not play PvE, making the PvE rewards more achievable for transition teams, while still leaving an obtainable Legendary every 3-4 days for the high end players.

Well, selfishly, I'd like to see that happen because pve is mainly what I play and my 4* roster is still in diapers. A LT with better than 90% odds of a 4* cover is more useful to me right now than oopsing into a 5*.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:

For a lot of my 3* and 4* guys, they're cover-maxed, but not level-maxed due to a lack of ISO. So I can't champion them until I bring them up to level 166/270? Ugh.

Start with your 2* and champion your 3/4 as you get the ISO. Think of it as "New Game+"!
  • The biggest question I think is what they're going to call this 20-CP token. Legs-and-dairy Token? Mythical Token? 4*-skin Token?
    My biggest question is will the 20-CP token be heavily skewed towards the bottom tier 4*.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    The biggest question I think is what they're going to call this 20-CP token. Legs-and-dairy Token? Mythical Token? 4*-skin Token?
    My biggest question is will the 20-CP token be heavily skewed towards the bottom tier 4*.
    I took it as they are (or should) removing 5*s from the mix. That way transitioners don't screw up their scaling. They did say a fix was on the way. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor

90% chance to pull a baglady!
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    "If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault."

Surely he meant to say 3x a day, and almost never.

I think all we really wanted fixed was the randomness to progression. It seems we're just getting more pulls at the slots. Hopefully there's more details and I can eat my words later. I look forward to applying that 14th cover to Blade and receiving 250 iso as my reward icon_lol.gif.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    still no word on the cost involved in promoting?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Stony wrote:
    I took it as they are (or should) removing 5*s from the mix. That way transitioners don't screw up their scaling. They did say a fix was on the way. icon_e_biggrin.gif

And I'm sure just as soon as scientists finish breeding flying pigs we'll see it.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    "If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault."

Surely he meant to say 3x a day, and almost never.

I think all we really wanted fixed was the randomness to progression. It seems we're just getting more pulls at the slots. Hopefully there's more details and I can eat my words later. I look forward to applying that 14th cover to Blade and receiving 250 iso as my reward icon_lol.gif.

I caught that line regarding the Vault as well. I've been playing it from the beginning, have never missed a day, and I've never pulled a 4* cover out of there.

I'm not counting the mini-vaults. Much prefer those and have gotten some nice rewards from them. Whaled the anniversary one and now have a cover maxed Rulk for cheaper than outright buying the covers with HP.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    From their article:
    Q: At the moment, it seems like Jean Grey and Hulkbuster are on every high-level PVP team, making for a very tough combo to beat, as well as making play at that level quite boring since nearly all the competition is the same. Are there any plans to adjust their powers, or to ‘nerf' them as a way of leveling the playing field? What about nerfing anyone else? On the other hand, what about buffing characters? Beast and Star Lord still seem a bit on the underfed side...

A: It's been a while since our last round of character balancing. We have a few changes coming to 3-stars early next year, and I'm happy that they're all buffs. We definitely try to encourage more varied play at every tier, and we love seeing players use more characters. A year ago, at the high end, players were running into teams with Wolverine X-Force and Thor Goddess of Thunder, so I think we're succeeding at not letting one team dominate for too long.

All I see here is "only character changes are all 3* buffs"...nothing about Jean nerfs...

Agree with others here, and article Q: Jean/HB is everywhere, probably because it's older than other characters that aren't covered by everyone yet - and is not the strongest pairing any longer. That's what the article answer seems to say also: not that XF/GT were nerfed, but they were the most covered combo, and as more folks got other things covered you saw other options.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Most players are really happy with the addition of Command Points; it's hard to see a downside in adding a new way to get 4 and 5-star characters. The biggest pain point that we need to address is the random way you earn them as mission rewards, something we're certainly hoping to address this year.

Am I just optimistic in thinking they are actually going to address the 20 Iso reward problem? Makes it sound like they are going to make it easier to get them instead of grinding down past the 1 Iso point to finally get CP???