Championing info is starting to go live in the press!

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hopefully you can only champion each character once, and you can't then sell it and get all the prizes all over again. Well, who knows. We'll see.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Did they say when it goes live? Is it with the next update?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards

All signs point to yes, though this hasn't been explicitly stated.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    If you have a high expectation of what the mechanic *should* do, you're the most likely to be disappointed by its release.

I have an exceedingly low expectation already...and I'm almost positive this will somehow even disappoint me.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Uncletas wrote:
    Wondering how many people will still like it after they see all the top people just using champions and crushing everyone else. Also means the transition just got longer and harder for people as now you need more of everything. How may this turn off the more casual as it may be harder for them in pvp or placing in pve? Just a thought

That's the big question(s) - are Championing and the new token intended to narrow the competiive gap between 4* tranitioners and 5* transitioners, or widen it? And willl the actual effect be to narrow it or widen it?

I think there's a chance it may narrow it a little bit, and it all hinges on the fact that championing a 3* character will do more for a 4* transitioner than it will a 5* transitioner. If you've already got a stable of maxed L270's, having a L180 3* isn't going to help you in PvP. But if you're fighting maxed 270's, which is the position a lot of 4* transitioners are in in PvP, 15-20 extra levels on a maxed 166 will help quite a bit.

And since 3* covers come a lot faster than 4* ones, 3*'s will champion faster than 4*'s, so the gap between maxed 3* teams and max3d 4* teams will theoretically get smaller.

The biggest downside? There's no way championing a 3* cover is gonna net me 500 ISO per cover. It's gonna be less, on average. Which is going to reduce ISO intake and slow down leveling 4*'s in order to cover them faster (via CP rewards). So the ISO bottleneck will get bigger, and it'll be tougher for 4* transitioners to max their 4*'s.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sure there's got to be a limit on the level increase. Otherwise, OBW showing up in 4* land would be...scary.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    That said, we've made a big push to litter MPQ with obtainable Legendary Tokens to help the average player along the 4-star transition. If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault.

Does that really reflect D3's collective opinion of how easy it is to get Legendary tokens? Because if so... that's a pretty substantial disconnect from reality, from where I'm standing. I play MPQ daily, often far more than is reasonable, and I've never once gotten a Legendary from the PvE side. Not even close. Of course I also don't grind through a completion cycle every eight hours.

I have gotten a Legendary from the DDQ vault once, I think.

It's hard to place much confidence in the developers' ability to improve the game if their perception of where things stand now is so skewed. So am I off here, or are they? It seems to me the words "average player" and "litter[ed] with... Legendary Tokens" don't really belong in the same bookshelf, much less the same sentence.

No matter how good of a driver you are, it's going to be a hard drive to New York if you think you're starting in Chicago and you're actually in Sydney.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards

didnt they hint in the past they wanted to bring it all out at once. if the new 4 stars tokens are not coming til Mid jan i would not hold my breathe for this.. Hopefully sooner but doubt it
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Phumade wrote:
    http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/marvel-puzzle-quest-changes-to-the-game-for-2016#sthash.anIdYnBU.dpuf

This article has alot of updates.

1. cheaper LT style token, 4* or better for 20cp.
    2. No 3rd powers for 1*
    3. Implied nerf on jeanbuster?
    4. Apparently, KK is overlooked for GSBW hahahaha.

Mod Edit, Until we have an official, please use this thread, others will be merged

I'll be honest, I'm surprised no one has said it yet: it seems the no spoiler that applies to developers, too.

Really, how hard is it to release the same information to the players **on our own site** instead of to a journalist? It's tinypuppy that we get more information from some game site than from the developers.

I'm glad we can finally talk about it without getting smacked, but everything about this update prior o release has been player-unfriendly.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 473 Mover and Shaker
    blinktag wrote:
    I'll be honest, I'm surprised no one has said it yet: it seems the no spoiler that applies to developers, too.

Really, how hard is it to release the same information to the players **on our own site** instead of to a journalist? It's tinypuppy that we get more information from some game site than from the developers.

I'm glad we can finally talk about it without getting smacked, but everything about this update prior o release has been player-unfriendly.

Also worth noting, these tentative details look EXACTLY like the data-mined details we were told were no longer accurate and didn't reflect the current mechanisms. PR is not necessarily a strong suit here.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    That said, we've made a big push to litter MPQ with obtainable Legendary Tokens to help the average player along the 4-star transition. If you play daily, you'll easily be able to pick up a Legendary Token as the Progression reward in Story events. You'll also pull a few out of the Deadpool Daily Vault.

Does that really reflect D3's collective opinion of how easy it is to get Legendary tokens? Because if so... that's a pretty substantial disconnect from reality, from where I'm standing. I play MPQ daily, often far more than is reasonable, and I've never once gotten a Legendary from the PvE side. Not even close. Of course I also don't grind through a completion cycle every eight hours.

I have gotten a Legendary from the DDQ vault once, I think.

It's hard to place much confidence in the developers' ability to improve the game if their perception of where things stand now is so skewed. So am I off here, or are they? It seems to me the words "average player" and "litter[ed] with... Legendary Tokens" don't really belong in the same bookshelf, much less the same sentence.

No matter how good of a driver you are, it's going to be a hard drive to New York if you think you're starting in Chicago and you're actually in Sydney.

What's your idea of "often far more than is reasonable" ? I can do 3 clears per sub of a PvE and get the LT pretty easily. Maybe 1 grind down on a later sub.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this change. I already know which 3*s I have my eye on championing (3Cyc, KK, Hood, Switch, IF for starters) but it'll all depend on any additional costs on top of the required covers.
  • Captain_Carlman
    scottee wrote:
    I'm sure there's got to be a limit on the level increase. Otherwise, OBW showing up in 4* land would be...scary.

I personally can't wait to Champion the **** out of Juggernaut.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:

I personally can't wait to Champion the tinykitty out of Juggernaut.

They mentioned 2* or greater, so no 1*'s...
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    It benefits Demi far more to release this information to a gaming website in terms of advertising and press, than it does for them to release it to the forums first. In addition, most press websites will demand an exclusive on news (which might have a period of exclusivity, be it several hours or a day or so), which Demi would violate by releasing it here first (officially or unofficially).

Sit tight, the reds should show soon with more details, now that the press have done their thing.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 344 Mover and Shaker
    morph3us wrote:
    It benefits Demi far more to release this information to a gaming website in terms of advertising and press, than it does for them to release it to the forums first. In addition, most press websites will demand an exclusive on news (which might have a period of exclusivity, be it several hours or a day or so), which Demi would violate by releasing it here first (officially or unofficially).

Sit tight, the reds should show soon with more details, now that the press have done their thing.

You are giving Demi far more credit than I do on their ability to communicate effectively and timely.

I have facts on my side.

I guess you have faith.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    woopie wrote:
    What's your idea of "often far more than is reasonable" ? I can do 3 clears per sub of a PvE and get the LT pretty easily. Maybe 1 grind down on a later sub.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this change. I already know which 3*s I have my eye on championing (3Cyc, KK, Hood, Switch, IF for starters) but it'll all depend on any additional costs on top of the required covers.

Without getting into specifics on the OP's play style, I will say this - if the deveoper is honest that the intent is for a consistent amount of regular play to lead to steady Legendary tokens in PvE, then they need to set the totals so that a consistent amount of regular play leads to steady LT's in PvE.

That's currently not the case, with some PvE's rquiring more play than others.

I wonder if they'd consider putting one of these new 4* tokens at a progression total closer to, say, two full clears per day, either in place of the LT at between just-under-3 clears and around 4 clears, or in addition to an LT placed at the 3+ clears level.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    It still sucks that this does nothing to help people that RNGesus hates and gives extra covers for a character you can't use. I had 4 LTs in a row give me two Fury blues (3/5/0) and Carnage greens (1/4/5). Which were 2 of the 4 4* covers I had maxed on characters at the time.

I do love grinding for 7 days for a 1000 iso8.png.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    scottee wrote:

I personally can't wait to Champion the tinykitty out of Juggernaut.

They mentioned 2* or greater, so no 1*'s...

Awww. Well, Ares will work pretty well too.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    madok wrote:
    I do love grinding for 7 days for a 1000 iso8.png.

What I love even more is grinding for 5 days, then having something life-related interrupt, causing me to miss a day of clears, resulting in all that grinding netting me a fabulous 2* BW cover and 500 iso8.png...
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I can actually see fully Championed Ares, OBW and Cstorm getting a little PvP use on weeks they're boosted...Windstorm/Sunder at ~lvl 200 is SCARY, and OBW with 200 lvls worth of hit points is ANNOYING