GR black is sim 2k (was: Xfw yellow is sim 2k)

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    My X-Force could use the cover... but still, with so many new 4* coming out and sparse covers for them, I was expecting one of them to be the 2K reward. Heck... my Hulk Buster is still at 1/0/1. I have been sooo unlucky with his covers.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's designed to work with the new mechanic, it is aimed at vets.

Problem is, every time we hear talk about this new mechanic...it's talk that it has been pushed back (again). Knowing up-front that the XF would be useful, and up-front not to push for it early would be a little helpful, and not make this feel like such a kick to the groin.

Especially when there are so many 4*'s that haven't ever had a turn to be the Sim reward - but are still being required (despite very, very few chances to specifically earn them) for DDQ/PVE nodes!
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Some of the rolled-back cheaters may need an x-force yellow. But, yeah, no one else does...
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    I wonder how many people that legitimately need this cover are able to reach 2k in the sim
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:
    I wonder how many people that legitimately need this cover are able to reach 2k in the sim

I can hit 2k easily, and my 5/5/2 XFW will be the better for it!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dwarfsteel wrote:
    I realize this forum seems to be filled with veterans of the game, but it also seems that a lot of you forget that there are newer players in this game as well. I'm sure there are plenty of players who are just breaking into the 4* tier of play and/or just being able to break into the 2K level award that can make use of this cover. Maybe there's also plenty of players whom the yellow XFW has been that elusive cover they need.

They can't please everybody with every prize they offer. For every one that thinks this is a worthless prize I'm sure there are an equal number that think it's decent or great.
    Still reading through the thread so sorry if it's been said already...

This is a very valid stance, and I think often it is true that a lot of us who have been here for 1.5+ years, let alone 2+ years, often consider our own situations over those of newer players or even more casual players who have been around just as long. However, a newer 4* cover should be useful for EVERYONE regardless of what point in the game they are at (except the whales that insta-max everything), not to mention it is more likely to be even more useful for newer players due to the way release events work these days. Similar to the advice given to breaking into 3* land (do well in release event and then focus on getting those covers as much as possible), it is also the best way to break into 4* land. You can get up to 5 covers of a 4* in a release PvE. Add in a 6th from 1k in their release PvP and if there's one at 2k in sim, all of a sudden you've got 7 covers and with a little token luck you may have a usable 4* in just 2-3 months instead of the 9-12 months it's looking like it should take. XFW might be needed for some newer players for sure, but they have to start collecting him from 0 covers with no big boost at the beginning (although there are 3 covers in daily supply, so there is that).
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    If it's designed to work with the new mechanic, it is aimed at vets.

Problem is, every time we hear talk about this new mechanic...it's talk that it has been pushed back (again). Knowing up-front that the XF would be useful, and up-front not to push for it early would be a little helpful, and not make this feel like such a kick to the groin.

Especially when there are so many 4*'s that haven't ever had a turn to be the Sim reward - but are still being required (despite very, very few chances to specifically earn them) for DDQ/PVE nodes!

Honestly, I'm taking this Sim reward as soft confirmation that it's coming before the end of the season. Demiurge doesn't break reward patterns without a reason.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Dwarfsteel wrote:
    I realize this forum seems to be filled with veterans of the game, but it also seems that a lot of you forget that there are newer players in this game as well. I'm sure there are plenty of players who are just breaking into the 4* tier of play and/or just being able to break into the 2K level award that can make use of this cover. Maybe there's also plenty of players whom the yellow XFW has been that elusive cover they need.

They can't please everybody with every prize they offer. For every one that thinks this is a worthless prize I'm sure there are an equal number that think it's decent or great.
    Still reading through the thread so sorry if it's been said already...

This is a very valid stance, and I think often it is true that a lot of us who have been here for 1.5+ years, let alone 2+ years, often consider our own situations over those of newer players or even more casual players who have been around just as long. However, a newer 4* cover should be useful for EVERYONE regardless of what point in the game they are at (except the whales that insta-max everything), not to mention it is more likely to be even more useful for newer players due to the way release events work these days. Similar to the advice given to breaking into 3* land (do well in release event and then focus on getting those covers as much as possible), it is also the best way to break into 4* land. You can get up to 5 covers of a 4* in a release PvE. Add in a 6th from 1k in their release PvP and if there's one at 2k in sim, all of a sudden you've got 7 covers and with a little token luck you may have a usable 4* in just 2-3 months instead of the 9-12 months it's looking like it should take. XFW might be needed for some newer players for sure, but they have to start collecting him from 0 covers with no big boost at the beginning (although there are 3 covers in daily supply, so there is that).

No, this is not a valid point, and I will tell you why. If it was GR or Chulk the one featured then it would be good FOR EVERYBODY, not just for new players. Now we have a lot of people that have a maxed XForce and doesn't need this cover for anything, you have to think that he is possibly the most covered char in the 4 space.

If there were no new releases in the last weeks it would be different, but with two new 4s, and another one coming this week, the 2k in sim SHOULD ALWAYS BE FOR THE NEWEST CHARS RELEASED so the % of people that can use the cover is maximized (being just super whales the only ones that will not benefit from this cover).
    Mawtful wrote:
    An XF Yellow would be insanely useful if there was some new gameplay feature where I could somehow advance a fully covered character by feeding it additional covers.

Oh well, I guess that's not a feature currently in the game. A pity.

And if you were about to debut such a feature, it'd be a good idea to hand out a cover for a character lots of people have at 13/13 so they could try it out, right? Hypothetically, of course.

IF this is the case, then anybody with more than two neurons would debut the feature FIRST, then set the cover as a reward, so people don't complain for nothing.

And even more, is this new mythical feature going to debut in less than 12 days? Because if I win the cover today I will probably sell it, and if I do not sell it will just expire, and there is people that get to 2k really fast.
  • Dwarfsteel
    Dwarfsteel Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I think some on here may perhaps be onto something that this was a deliberate move and will actually be beneficial in some way to the larger player base. It will be beneficial to the "newer" players (not "new" as some interpreted by my previous post), it will be good for those whom XFW yellow has been that elusive cover, AND it will perhaps be beneficial in some way to those vets whom have had this guy fully covered and properly spec'd for quite some time. The last portion is based on the comments by Joe Fletcher in the latest interview:

"After the holidays, we’re planning on unveiling a new feature in the game that we’re excited to share. We’re still working out some of the final kinks now, so the wrapping paper won’t come off quite yet, but I’m definitely looking forward to using some of the heroes I hadn’t used in a while in new ways and team ups!"

Haven't seen anyone comment or speculate as to what this means, but I'll guess the two are related in some way.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Dwarfsteel wrote:

I can appreciate this, but if you want to help the new players, you give them a Hulkbuster, or a Jean Grey, or an Iceman.

If you're not covering these guys then you don't have any business getting into the 4 star game IMO.

I hold this opinion as someone trying to make the transition, who has room on his xforce wolvie for a yellow even. Its just, that cover doesn't matter to me regardless.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    After hearing from a few friends.. so far it is pretty split, only 1 didn't need the cover, 1 wanted it badly, and the others (3 more) all were glad it wasn't a newer char that would have to pony up HP to roster (they are not hardcore players), and since they had undercovered XFW's, they were glad to see it.

There is no way to make everyone happy, me, i would have gone with a cover that was not included in daily rewards, but, even that being said, i do need it, and fully expect to pull it from a token the day before i hit 2k.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way to make everyone happy would be a new character.

We can jump through all the ideas, but a new 4 star cover would have been superior.
    It's not like they'll change it
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Jathro wrote:

I can hit 2k easily, and my 5/5/2 XFW will be the better for it!

Ditto. Except mine's 5/2/2.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Dwarfsteel wrote:

I'm in this category. Although I wanted Ghost Rider (only 4* I currently lack thanks to a couple lucky DPD Vault pulls), my XFW is 3/4/2. He, Fury, and Sue Storm are my only 4* with more than about 5 covers each, although I'm nearing day 500.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:

I sold my fully covered Wolvie X-Force back when they nerfed him but increased his sell price (still not regretting my decision).
    I don't really need the cover but I'll take it anyway since I'm rebuilding him.

Don't forget he will also be due in 4* DDQ around the time when the season ends.

All that said, one of the new 4* should be there, climbing to 2000 is not super hard but it takes time and effort, the reward should be better than a nearly 2 year old cover.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    The way to make everyone happy would be a new character.

We can jump through all the ideas, but a new 4 star cover would have been superior.
    It's not like they'll change it
    I was not happy to see X-23 as the Shield Sim cover last season, and would not have been happy to see Chulk, Ghost Rider, Miles, or any of the other recent 4* additions for this season. One cover of any of these has no impact on their playability for me. XFW yellowflag.png brings him that much closer to seeing actual use for me. I realize a lot of people can "use" a single cover for a new dude, but most can't really use it. It'll just gather dust for months.

But hey, don't let me interrupt the wailing and gnashing of teeth over this, the 1* Venom nerf, Miles and Venom not taking the 4* meta by storm, etc.
  • I think the whole idea behind this is using this cover for the new feature they are bringing out where you use excess covers to do...something. The problem is that the earliest they would most likely do this would be January 4th if they stick the the January timeline (~1 week before the season ends). A big chunk of people will have already earned, and sold, this cover by then. Maybe it'll come out early? Maybe they'll announce the feature early so people hold off on earning the cover?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Knowing up-front that the XF would be useful, and up-front not to push for it early would be a little helpful, and not make this feel like such a kick to the groin.

I tried bring subtle, that clearly wasn't enough.
    I can't really be obtuse, because that would be frowned upon.

This season will end before the new feature arrives. If you push for the 2k prize late in the season, you should be able to babysit that XF Yellow for long enough. At that time, you may find it more useful than a stick in your eye.
  • As a guy that's trying to transition to 4* land, I need all the covers I can get. I do wish it was more of a power cover like Iceman or Jean, but I guess Wolvie yellow will do.

If this is for the transitioners, I would much prefer being able to bring a full team to DDQ4* if I have the one cover needed.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Garbage.Garbage.Garbage.