Next Tourney - Nefarious Foes - Feb 14-16

Options

Comments

• For double shot tourney, I noticed it took quite a few hours before I started getting hit for my tank team. Probably a combo of not everyone playing yet, especially those in your mmr range.
  • Man I was so pysched about this Tourney. Then it started and I seen the rewards.......... icon_cry.gif

Even with all my best characters being villians icon_twisted.gif, 300 points and I am tanking.

IMO getting ill gotten gains heroic rectruit tokens would have been much more attractive rewards then **** old Daredevil.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm curious why Original Black Widow isn't an option here. She was still a villain at that time, and isn't eligible in Avengers-only events.

On the other hand, if she were, you'd probably see her and Ares on *every* team that isn't pure 3* Lightning Round winners.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Is Ares confirmed as a villain? He never was in the stories.
    He's definitely an antagonist in some of the Hercules comics, at least.
  • Rorex wrote:
    IMO getting ill gotten gains heroic rectruit tokens would have been much more attractive rewards then **** old Daredevil.

It makes it a lot easier to swallow if you just think of him as +25 HP reward.
    icon_e_smile.gif
  • Ares was one of the Dark Avengers in comics so he fits. Beside that he also had some previous villain appearances.
  • Ares is allowed in the tourny. Since he's my only highly developped villain, I'm glad I can use him. Pairing him with lvl 40ish Daken and Doom whom I've poured all the iso from Simulator round 2 into. I don't expect to do very well in this one.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why isn't Modern Magneto considered a villain?
  • Why isn't Modern Magneto considered a villain?
    From what others have said (since I don't follow comics), Marvel NOW! Magneto is a part of the X-Men so he's technically not considered a villain. Someone else who has comic knowledge, feel free to chime in and elaborate!
  • This will be an interesting glimpse into the post Spidey-era. High level/health teams will be a bigger deterrent because there's no healers on the field. A lot of people are going to misplay this one. Seems like the best approach is to play one-off matches (not shielding till towards the end):

1. A slow climb will limit retaliations and attacks since you won't be worth as many points.
    2. You'll be able to manage health packs better.
    3. More opportunities for defensive wins (no stunlocking) to gain points without offering up retaliations.

Also means that the final stretch will be crazy as people make their push in the last hour or two (start any sooner, and you'll be out of health packs). I plan to lurk around 6-10, push up to 2-5 at the 3 hour mark, and then shield it out as everyone else beats each other up and dies.

The other interesting aspect will be the benefit for those who have a strong, diverse roster, to allow rotation. I've barely employed any rotation in my PvP lineups since the early days, mainly because of Spidey it has to be said. This weekend's event will be like a little step back in time I feel, and as you say, a glimpse into the future.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does anyone remember if Doom was buffed in the main event's nodes? (Implying that he'll be buffed in a later sub). I'm currently leaning towards Magneto over doom in terms of what character to pump iso into, especially since he's buffed for both events now. My main 3* roster now is 141 Punisher / 120 Hulk, and I feel like a high level Mags (even after the nerf) will probably synergize more with Punisher than the Doom will (Punisher's black conflicts with Doom's a ton). I trust d3 with nerfing/buffing stuff, so I'm not too worried about his viability post nerf. I can only level Mags to 77, so I'll probably spend the rest of the iso on doom after. Does this logic make sense? Ares is also a potential candidate, but pumping iso into him feels wasted given how I'm trying to get enough iso for the 2->3* transition.

VIllain Roster for reference:
    4/4/5 67 Ares
    5/5 L51 Doom
    5/5 L51 Rags
    5/5/1 L45 Hood
    5/5 L45 Daken
    4/1/2 L41 Mags (66 max)
    5/5/3 L31 Moonstone
    Loki, MN Mags, Bullseye whatever.
  • Doom and Hulk will be buffed and required in the remaining PVE rounds. I don't believe IceIX has said who will be round 3 and who who will be round 4, though.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    This will be an interesting glimpse into the post Spidey-era. High level/health teams will be a bigger deterrent because there's no healers on the field. A lot of people are going to misplay this one. Seems like the best approach is to play one-off matches (not shielding till towards the end):

1. A slow climb will limit retaliations and attacks since you won't be worth as many points.
    2. You'll be able to manage health packs better.
    3. More opportunities for defensive wins (no stunlocking) to gain points without offering up retaliations.

Also means that the final stretch will be crazy as people make their push in the last hour or two (start any sooner, and you'll be out of health packs). I plan to lurk around 6-10, push up to 2-5 at the 3 hour mark, and then shield it out as everyone else beats each other up and dies.

The other interesting aspect will be the benefit for those who have a strong, diverse roster, to allow rotation. I've barely employed any rotation in my PvP lineups since the early days, mainly because of Spidey it has to be said. This weekend's event will be like a little step back in time I feel, and as you say, a glimpse into the future.

I imagine anyone capable of running two strong teams will have a rather large advantage in this tournament because you usually have to use health packs very conservatively if you only have one team. That is, suppose you win a match and a member of your team A is down to 50%. If you stick with team A, you probably have to use a health pack on that guy, but if you can sub him out, you can save a health pack while waiting for him to regen to 80%. Time management will likely have a significant impact, which is never true when Spiderman is around.
  • So considering my highest level villain is a 65 Ares and everyone else is around 20-30, why am I getting nothing but maxed Daken's and lvl 90 magnetos? When does this MMR adjustment kick in?
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Rorex wrote:

icon_e_smile.gif

*tells gf to think of me as a +25 hp reward...what? V-day humor. I had to...

Plus side, I should hopefully finish daredevil off via this event unless I don't try for top 5 in the ironman event (I need to be "done" by about 5-6 pm time which is about when the event ends).

Also, told you ares would be included. With my 135k ISO saved part of me wants to top off my team of lvl 125 magneto, lvl 100 doom, lvl 75 ares. About 35k for magneto, 30k for doom, and maybe 20k for ares would leave me with about 50k ISO ...but...I must...save...for...xforce. hell...I probably won't even put it into xforce until I have enough red and yellow covers for him to top lvl 200. So I ask you d3 devs. Why you no give out red or yellow xforce? Seriously...every single xforce in the last month has been fricken green. I haven't even been trying because I don't care about iw and when it is wolvie its green. Ugg. ...is there a peanut's valentine's day movie? Pretty sure there is. Maybe ill go find it on tv later.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    I'm curious why Original Black Widow isn't an option here. She was still a villain at that time, and isn't eligible in Avengers-only events.

On the other hand, if she were, you'd probably see her and Ares on *every* team that isn't pure 3* Lightning Round winners.
    Prob'ly mostly just that people are at least almost as bored with her as they are with Spider-Man. Also TaT established that for MPQ continuity OBW isn't a different character than MBW by any reasonable yardstick so much as "our" Widow in a halloween costume. Similarly, Ares is certainly a Dark Avenger for MPQ purposes, whatever you consider him elsewhere. Venom shouldn't be a villain any more, either, should he?
    Mondo wrote:
    Why isn't Modern Magneto considered a villain?
    From what others have said (since I don't follow comics), Marvel NOW! Magneto is a part of the X-Men so he's technically not considered a villain. Someone else who has comic knowledge, feel free to chime in and elaborate!
    I don't keep up any more, either, especially since they went and brought Jeaannnn back again but there aren't any proper villains left in X-Men, really. Mystique, I s'pose. And SHIELD and the Avengers, depending who you ask. Magneto the White is still on Cyclops's X-Men terrorist crew, I think. Wolverine's everywhere, as ever.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Venom shouldn't be a villain any more, either, should he?
    The Venom in MPQ is Mac Gargan, who is a complete joke compared to Eddie Brock.
  • Does anyone remember if Doom was buffed in the main event's nodes? (Implying that he'll be buffed in a later sub).

Yep Dr. Doom was buffed in the simulator main event. Lots of people thought it was because of the lightning rounds and all the 3* villians were buffed but I can guarntee it wasn't as The Hood wasn't buffed. I am assuming hes next and have been spending ISO accordingly.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rorex wrote:
    Does anyone remember if Doom was buffed in the main event's nodes? (Implying that he'll be buffed in a later sub).

Yep Dr. Doom was buffed in the simulator main event. Lots of people thought it was because of the lightning rounds and all the 3* villians were buffed but I can guarntee it wasn't as The Hood wasn't buffed. I am assuming hes next and have been spending ISO accordingly.

Cool. I've pumped all of my current iso into getting Mags to 77, and am going to work on maxing out doom next. I think I might like Daken enough to consider maxing him out (he's 50 right now), but that iso is probably better spent on Ares/Doom I'm guessing.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Rorex wrote:

icon_e_smile.gif

I definetly considered looking at it that way. I mean there is the 50 Hp progression award as well. However given the other events currently going on I think I will pass and work on the Simulator. I can still use some more Patchs and who doesn't want a Psylocke. IMO Daredevil sucks their are plenty of better characters with much better red/blue/purple builds. Hell I think Modern Hawkeye is even better, not to mention both Mags. I am sure I will regret saying that as they will undoubtably do another DD neccesary event. Honestly though who's pumping Iso in DD? *crickets*

Maybe they should have made DD a 4*. Then at least he would be worht 50 HP and he would certianlly fit in better with pre-fix IW and 4* wolverine.