Stop giving 20 ISO rewards first, discussion and musings

Options

Comments

• bender
    bender Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Trying to get the CPs is as much fun as DPD4* with 1 cover -- and your reward is 1/25th of a legendary (if you get it).
    It's also just like Galactus I, round 4 and above -- I guess you're meant to lose.
    I play PVE a lot - and honestly if this stays the way it is, for my sanity I'm just going to ignore it completely.
    Please fix.
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bender wrote:
    ... I'm just going to ignore it completely.
    Please fix.

Hmm... Deadpool daily vault, ddq 4 star quest, most legendary token drops, and now cp drops in PvE nodes, anyone seeing a pattern? I just keep getting the feeling d3 likes adding functionally useless or impractical features into the game.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    The problem with the CP is that it's a 3* 1/4 reward so it's going to take much more grind just to win 1 CP.

I would rather if they made the CP nodes only reward 1 CP 1/1 Reward then I'll happily earn my measly 20 Iso for each completion after because winning a Critical Boost instead of the CP for 3/4 is beyond frustrating.

Completely agree. I missed out on the Crossfire cp in sub 1; kept getting 20 iso. icon_mad.gif

As you say, a simple 1/1 cp reward node will fix the problem. Please make the change for sub 3!!!
  • Varg138
    Varg138 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    +1

This isn't just a matter of being frustrating, this is a matter of not allowing players to play this game the way they want to.

PVE grinders expect to play these nodes over and over and will eventually get all of the rewards, now including CP. Grinders will also place well in all PVEs, ensuring them more CPs.

There is a large population of this game which only plays PVE seriously for new character PVEs. For old characters, many of those will skip altogether or just play for ISO. If you want those people who skip old character PVEs to play and raise your player engagement, while at the same time appealing to those who play off event JUST for ISO and now also CPs, then the 20 ISO before regular rewards needs to stop.

Fixing this problem helps everyone, including the developers. You cannot judge player engagement this week as everyone is trying to hoard as many CPs as they can, and are simply putting up with grinding the same node over and over to try to get just one CP. This is not sustainable as many players' time will not be worth it if this keeps happening
  • Ran out of time last night and didn't get the 2nd CP drop from the sub. That's frustrating for sure, and I only hit the node 5 or 6 times. I can only imagine people grinding it down to 1pt and still not getting it. I think I would run out of roster capable of defeating it before that happened.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sub 3 I ran each CP node eight times before I got the CP rewards. SIXTEEN GRIDS total on those stupid nodes, which completely used up all my health packs.

Still didn't get one of the ISO rewards on the KP node.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unpopular Opinion: I think that having an RNG is fine in this situation, but the RNG we have now is not good enough.

I've always viewed the node rewards as kind of a secondary, consolation reward -- generally speaking -- but getting some of the desirable rewards (Hero Points, Command Points, Covers in some cases) off of them is very frustrating. I would suggest them being weighed more favorable in the player's behalf.

So, PvE clears are once every eight hours iirc, so in theory you should be doing three clears a day, for a total of nine clears in a three day PvE. If you're grinding down on each node at the end, you're probably clearing them what....three or four extra times, sometimes more if you need to go to one?

I feel like that within that you should be able to get at least 3/4 rewards as a more or less promise. I think 20 ISO-8 needs to be changed to be more impactful too -- in my honest opinion it should scale up with your enemy scaling.
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    Sub 3 I ran each CP node eight times before I got the CP rewards. SIXTEEN GRIDS total on those stupid nodes, which completely used up all my health packs.

Still didn't get one of the ISO rewards on the KP node.

Too funny, I had the exact same experience, down to the remaining KP ISO.

Hit one node at least 5 times after hitting 1 point to get one CP, this morning I hit the CP on my second pass. Really, REALLY wish they would at least implement the "4/4 before the 20ISO consolation prize" change…

DBC
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Unpopular Opinion: I think that having an RNG is fine in this situation, but the RNG we have now is not good enough.

I've always viewed the node rewards as kind of a secondary, consolation reward -- generally speaking -- but getting some of the desirable rewards (Hero Points, Command Points, Covers in some cases) off of them is very frustrating. I would suggest them being weighed more favorable in the player's behalf.

So, PvE clears are once every eight hours iirc, so in theory you should be doing three clears a day, for a total of nine clears in a three day PvE. If you're grinding down on each node at the end, you're probably clearing them what....three or four extra times, sometimes more if you need to go to one?

I feel like that within that you should be able to get at least 3/4 rewards as a more or less promise. I think 20 ISO-8 needs to be changed to be more impactful too -- in my honest opinion it should scale up with your enemy scaling.

I agree with you about the RNG.

What I would prefer is a set first time completion award for the node and then RNG mixed in with 20 ISO after. The first time completion award should be the best of the four rewards because that would provide an added insensitive for someone to try and hit a node they may not think they can do. Failing several times on a difficult node to chase a random prize is a different emotional feeling than chasing the best of the four for example. That would leave three prizes left (so 1/4 chance of getting 20 ISO) and then scale from there. I understand that's basically how it works now, but since there's no guarantee of what that first prize is, pulling critical boosts and then having to hit a node 4 more times to try and get 500 ISO when you are getting 20 ISO each time, has a much different feel than if it was reversed.

By providing everyone with the same first time reward of the best prize for the node, I think you'd easily decrease a significant portion of the frustration.

I'd seep the node prize balance roughly the same as it is: The trivial nodes would have the "lower" value rewards (200 ISO, standard token, 100 ISO, 70 ISO), the harder would have the "higher" value rewards (500 ISO, 250 ISO, standard token, 100 ISO -- with the command point on the hardest node), and the essentials would use a middle ground reward system (500 ISO, 100 ISO, standard token, 70 ISO -- with the command point on either the 4 star or 3 star required node).
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the idea of top prize being first rewarded.

I can't tell you how many times I've just totally skipped a node because I didn't need the points and the rewards were ****.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see any reason the rewards shouldn't pay out before the 20 ISO booby prize.

Also, side rant - the randomness of the lucky or unlucky bracket. F them.

icon_e_smile.gif
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was just the 201st person to upvote the OP. How many active participants does this forum have, anyway? Whatever the answer, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's obvious that this is pretty important to the active forum base, if not the entire player base. Prolly more important to your valued customer than stuff like sparkly victory banners or different load screens...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3 full point passes into sub 3 and still 0/2 on comps. But I did get the crit boosts out of both nodes so I've got that going for me
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When desirable awards are in play, why is it fine? In other PvE's nodes that have a gold award, it's one-and-done. Every time. Why are CPs different? Until they change this 20 ISO nonsensical algorithm of theirs, CP should be one-and-done too. There's no reason why I should have to play lv395 opponents 12 times and MAYBE get the cp, while some other player can get it on their first try when they're only around lv300.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This never really bothered me before (I don't usually grind down to get all node rewards), but taking seven or eight tries on a tough node to get the command point rots (avg 4, mode 7, for four days).
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you haven't noticed by now, these guys don't ever like to give anything away easy. not their m.o.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,019 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They might of changed this or something weird happen to me

took me 4 times but i got the point each time i was given one of the rewards
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jredd wrote:
    If you haven't noticed by now, these guys don't ever like to give anything away easy. not their m.o.

Which is why the players should act in kind. What Marvel game got my last in app purchase? Hint: it wasn't MPQ.
  • Helen keller
    Helen keller Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, it's getting old
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I'm treating cps as a 50hp equivalent. I estimate if they let us buy LTs for hp they'd probably put a 1250 price tag on them (roughly half of a selected cover upgrade) and that would translate to 1cp being worth roughly 50hp. so you have to ask yourself, how much is 50hp worth? then allocate resources accordingly. don't go all out and spend premium boosts to do so - not worth it. is it worth iso boosts for 6-8 passes at it - I'd say probably so, but at least it gives you a worth/value to base decisions on. 1 cp is great, but not absolutely critical to your progress. by the same token, if you miss t50 in a pve sub (for 50 hp), not the end of the world, but is nice when you get it.

I read this, and it seemed reasonable, but I was reminded that I haven't yet farmed all the hp out of my prologue, so was doing a mission today, and won the 50hp from a particular node. That was a 2* prize. That got me thinking, and reminded me that the 3* hp prize in the taco vault is 250hp. So this is supposed to be in line with 250 hp.

Now consider that that would imply that a legendary token is 6250hp, 2-1/2 times what it costs to straight out buy a 4* cover. Or more than half the cost of a Heroic 40-pack.

Yeah, now I'm feeling that stingy is definitely the right word.