*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• I don't know why people keep on try to justify Psylocke being good. If you want to do anything cute with Daken you're better off running Falcon instead, and Daken and Psylocke can never show up on the same heroic since heroic roster do not include DAs. For builds the difference between 5/3/5 and anything else is pretty much pretty much sucks (5/3/5) or totally sucks. The extra damage done by red at level 5 is usually meaningless because Psychic Knife is extremely expensive to use on her own, and the extra attack tile damage on Psi-Katana level 5 usually doesn't matter much because Psi-Katana, ironically, is a pretty hard hitting move that does most of the damage through the initial damage. Of course Bewilderment probably sucks a bit more than the other two skills but the difference is small. In this recent heroic event you'd never use the red to begin with (Fireball is much better), and Inferno is generally better sustained damage than Psi-Katana and if you need an extra quick hit to take someone down you don't care about the sustained damage to begin with. Yes Psylocke/Falcon is probably borderline playable because Falcon is godlike in PvE, but a level 40 Daken with 5 in Phermone Rage and nothing else would still be way better than a 5/5/5 level 166 Psylocke if you want to bring Falcon. I guess you can hope for Falcon and Psylocke to both show up on a heroic roster, but so far the two appearances of Falcon on heroic roster had no usable 3* special tile user with him and I think this is done on purpose.

• Yeah, shes not bad in that team comp but she still just seems like an inferior torch (flame jets being green is huge since you get daken tiles and a tile outlet all in green, red is comparable in power if not better, black is worse but still an option) in that position. She reminds me of punisher where shes fine if you transition into 3* land, but once you have a developed roster, she gets obsoleted pretty quickly.

Punisher is way stronger than Psylocke, but you usually don't need 2 green users on the team since there's a lot of red/green/black or red/green/yellow combinations for the powerhouse characters so having two of those would leave you with a big hole in color coverage and a lot of redundant abilities that can hurt you on defense.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't know why people keep on try to justify Psylocke being good. If you want to do anything cute with Daken you're better off running Falcon instead, and Daken and Psylocke can never show up on the same heroic since heroic roster do not include DAs. For builds the difference between 5/3/5 and anything else is pretty much pretty much sucks (5/3/5) or totally sucks. The extra damage done by red at level 5 is usually meaningless because Psychic Knife is extremely expensive to use on her own, and the extra attack tile damage on Psi-Katana level 5 usually doesn't matter much because Psi-Katana, ironically, is a pretty hard hitting move that does most of the damage through the initial damage. Of course Bewilderment probably sucks a bit more than the other two skills but the difference is small. In this recent heroic event you'd never use the red to begin with (Fireball is much better), and Inferno is generally better sustained damage than Psi-Katana and if you need an extra quick hit to take someone down you don't care about the sustained damage to begin with. Yes Psylocke/Falcon is probably borderline playable because Falcon is godlike in PvE, but a level 40 Daken with 5 in Phermone Rage and nothing else would still be way better than a 5/5/5 level 166 Psylocke if you want to bring Falcon. I guess you can hope for Falcon and Psylocke to both show up on a heroic roster, but so far the two appearances of Falcon on heroic roster had no usable 3* special tile user with him and I think this is done on purpose.

I found that major boosted Psylocke is better than Torch by a wide margin in the current heroic (given X/X/1 IM40). My 210 Psylocke does 1.5k damage and puts out a 289 strike tile, which means I need ~ 8 instances of damage with the strike tile on board before it starts to overtake my minor boosted 166 Torch's fireball (the numbers probably look better on a max level Psylocke, does anyone have that in the PvE?). 8 instances of damage is pretty easy to do considering black activation is 1, and the attack tile gives you an extra instance per turn. My go-to strategy for the hard nodes is Psy / Torch / 1/0/1 IM40: go in with ry/gb boosts, match a yellow, recharge, match a black, and proceed to get extremely quick knifes / katanas with some flame jet support. This just wouldn't be possible without Psylocke: Torch's black is a good amount worse as a replacement for Katana: the fact that it costs 3 match-3s even after you go in boosted compared to the ONE of Psylocke means that you're not firing off the ability until on average 5/6 turns later, at which point hey, looks like you got the extra 5-6 instances of damage needed to make Psylocke's red better than Torch red. I will admit that this strategy hinges on being able to get Psylocke's red out early so that you can start stacking damage instances, which is what IM40 is for.

So given this extremely situational event and conditions (limited roster, IM40, major boosted), she can be good...?
  • Everyone is good when you throw that much AP at them.

The key to Psylocke is she is fast. Her powers cost 8 and 6 which can come down to 5 and 6 eventually. Fast high DPS characters will tear glass cannons to shreds. Bullseye, see ya, Yelena, sit down, Moonstone, fuggedaboutit. Fast high DPS characters run into problems taking on high health characters, double problematic when said high health characters have AP feeders to their Onslaught of doom or are Sentry and his low cost powers. There I would much rather have the damage up front from Torch. 8 activation is a minimum of 3 turns to achieve, and 3 turns can murder you when Ares gets 6 free greentile.png and Sentry has World Rupture out. Given the limited roster event you have both options anyway right now, but under normal circumstances I will take HT over Psylocke.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Everyone is good when you throw that much AP at them.

The key to Psylocke is she is fast. Her powers cost 8 and 6 which can come down to 5 and 6 eventually. Fast high DPS characters will tear glass cannons to shreds. Bullseye, see ya, Yelena, sit down, Moonstone, fuggedaboutit. Fast high DPS characters run into problems taking on high health characters, double problematic when said high health characters have AP feeders to their Onslaught of doom or are Sentry and his low cost powers. There I would much rather have the damage up front from Torch. 8 activation is a minimum of 3 turns to achieve, and 3 turns can murder you when Ares gets 6 free greentile.png and Sentry has World Rupture out. Given the limited roster event you have both options anyway right now, but under normal circumstances I will take HT over Psylocke.

Characters that make strike/attack tiles get significantly better with that much AP at the beginning of the match than characters without, because getting a tile out early has the potential of the tile surviving for longer in the match and dealing more damage. Throw a tile out turn 3, it might survive till the match ends at turn 15. Throw that same tile out on turn 8, and youve already missed out on 5 turns of potential damage. Use the AP on someone like Thor, and it's always just going to be the same damage, so it matters less if it happens turn 3 v turn 8 since its 6k damage either way.

At least in this PvE, Psylocke isn't about being fast and killing squishies as much as she is about sustained damage. Cast a Psychic Knife and Psi-katana on turn 3, all of the sudden you have 600 points of damage going at your opponent every single turn (along with the 3k burst damage). When Juggs/Ares has 10k health a piece, the game's typically going to last relatively long, at which point those strike / attack tiles you placed early will have accumulated you much more value than Torch's slow inferno and same speed fireball would have done. I would much rather have 2 Psychic knifes that will kill both juggs and sentry over the course of the next turns than downing Sentry immediately and then having to go through 10k Juggs hp without any special tiles on board.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I don't know why people keep on try to justify Psylocke being good. If you want to do anything cute with Daken you're better off running Falcon instead, and Daken and Psylocke can never show up on the same heroic since heroic roster do not include DAs. For builds the difference between 5/3/5 and anything else is pretty much pretty much sucks (5/3/5) or totally sucks. The extra damage done by red at level 5 is usually meaningless because Psychic Knife is extremely expensive to use on her own, and the extra attack tile damage on Psi-Katana level 5 usually doesn't matter much because Psi-Katana, ironically, is a pretty hard hitting move that does most of the damage through the initial damage. Of course Bewilderment probably sucks a bit more than the other two skills but the difference is small. In this recent heroic event you'd never use the red to begin with (Fireball is much better), and Inferno is generally better sustained damage than Psi-Katana and if you need an extra quick hit to take someone down you don't care about the sustained damage to begin with. Yes Psylocke/Falcon is probably borderline playable because Falcon is godlike in PvE, but a level 40 Daken with 5 in Phermone Rage and nothing else would still be way better than a 5/5/5 level 166 Psylocke if you want to bring Falcon. I guess you can hope for Falcon and Psylocke to both show up on a heroic roster, but so far the two appearances of Falcon on heroic roster had no usable 3* special tile user with him and I think this is done on purpose.

I found that major boosted Psylocke is better than Torch by a wide margin in the current heroic (given X/X/1 IM40). My 210 Psylocke does 1.5k damage and puts out a 289 strike tile, which means I need ~ 8 instances of damage with the strike tile on board before it starts to overtake my minor boosted 166 Torch's fireball (the numbers probably look better on a max level Psylocke, does anyone have that in the PvE?). 8 instances of damage is pretty easy to do considering black activation is 1, and the attack tile gives you an extra instance per turn. My go-to strategy for the hard nodes is Psy / Torch / 1/0/1 IM40: go in with ry/gb boosts, match a yellow, recharge, match a black, and proceed to get extremely quick knifes / katanas with some flame jet support. This just wouldn't be possible without Psylocke: Torch's black is a good amount worse as a replacement for Katana: the fact that it costs 3 match-3s even after you go in boosted compared to the ONE of Psylocke means that you're not firing off the ability until on average 5/6 turns later, at which point hey, looks like you got the extra 5-6 instances of damage needed to make Psylocke's red better than Torch red. I will admit that this strategy hinges on being able to get Psylocke's red out early so that you can start stacking damage instances, which is what IM40 is for.

So given this extremely situational event and conditions (limited roster, IM40, major boosted), she can be good...?

I forgot my Psylocke isn't maxed but she's still higher level than HT with the major boost and I was evaluating the character as if they're equal in level. But Fireball is effectively 6 AP while Psychic Knife is 8/7/6. There's also the problem that in this event you usually need to kill Daken from 100% to 0% so piling up extra strike tile damage doesn't help you much against Daken's regen. If you can do 2 Psychic Knives you also do 2 Fireballs and that'll do about 8000 damage straight up, which should always be enough to kill Daken, while Daken can last a while with his regen against 2 strike tiles from Psychic Knife and of course if he somehow destroyed them then you've wasted your AP for nothing.

Psi-Katana is decent and probably better than Inferno because it's easy to forget what tiles cannot be converted by Inferno, but if you get 8 of them out it'll always easily beat Psi-Katana.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Everyone is good when you throw that much AP at them.

It takes 21 red AP to get Psychic Knife down to 5 AP if you only have Psylocke. If you want to use Daken you're better off replacing Psylocke with Falcon instead, and besides with Daken a lot of the time you end up having too many strike tiles and Psychic Knife is very weak even for 5 red AP if it doesn't generate the strik etile.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I forgot my Psylocke isn't maxed but she's still higher level than HT with the major boost and I was evaluating the character as if they're equal in level. But Fireball is effectively 6 AP while Psychic Knife is 8/7/6. There's also the problem that in this event you usually need to kill Daken from 100% to 0% so piling up extra strike tile damage doesn't help you much against Daken's regen. If you can do 2 Psychic Knives you also do 2 Fireballs and that'll do about 8000 damage straight up, which should always be enough to kill Daken, while Daken can last a while with his regen against 2 strike tiles from Psychic Knife and of course if he somehow destroyed them then you've wasted your AP for nothing.

Psi-Katana is decent and probably better than Inferno because it's easy to forget what tiles cannot be converted by Inferno, but if you get 8 of them out it'll always easily beat Psi-Katana.

I bursted down Daken with 2 knifes + 1 psi-katana, which you can get off of 1 yellow match, 1 red match, and 1 black match with the help of IM40, This deals 6.3k damage in initial burst, and leaves 600 strike tiles + a 350 attack tile out on a 135 Psylocke major boosted. I'd imagine that a 166 gets closer to 7-8k damage in burst, in which case this easily becomes better than anything Torch can offer this heroic. The tiles don't even have to be out for that long in order to outdps fireball:3-4 turns is the cutoff point with an attack + strike, and the fact that you can get those tiles out in typically a safe board spot makes major boosted Psy the way to go.

Obviously dependent on a 5/5/1 IM40 and in this heroic only giving Psylocke an extra however many levels, but she is superior to Torch here.
  • I've messed around with torch and psylock maxed in this heroic and quite frankly psylock is infinitely better because of speed. The sustained damage burst damage and obw purple make her much much faster. This character should probably be Thor or storm if you don't have im40 with 1 yellow however.

I might add she's also better on the required nodes because, well, she's required icon_e_smile.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    I've messed around with torch and psylock maxed in this heroic and quite frankly psylock is infinitely better because of speed. The sustained damage burst damage and obw purple make her much much faster. This character should probably be Thor or storm if you don't have im40 with 1 yellow however.

I might add she's also better on the required nodes because, well, she's required icon_e_smile.gif

I've been using Torch over OBW with Psylocke and IM40 because an active green is incredibly useful when you have to deny green from juggs/ares. Flame jets is also yet another ability that gives you extra strike tile instances: seems more useful than OBW in non-goon nodes.
  • IM40's Recharge benefits Fireball as well so I don't see his presence changes anything. The expected damage of Psychic Knife is slightly higher than Fireball but 'on average' doesn't work well against The Hood or Daken who are likely the strongest opponents in the DA lineup.

Against Daken the lower level version (low 100s, 4K range HP) can usually be killed by a Fireball plus a good match chain, or Fireball plus attack tile from Psi Katana. He will definitely always die to a Fireball + Psi-Katana. Psylocke, on the other hand, needs 2 Psychic Knives and maybe even something extra. The higher level Daken has around 8000 HP, which can be killed by 2 Fireballs but 2 Psychic Knives won't make much of a dent on his HP and yes you have some pretty good strike tiles on but you better hope they don't get destroyed because then Daken is just going to leisurely heal back up.

On the other hand against The Hood you really need him dead ASAP and Fireball is much better at getting things dead now as opposed to later. If there's a dangerous color pump goon (usually Analyst in this event) again Fireball does the job at getting rid of the low HP Analysts as fast as possible.

Psychic Knife is better if the goons are Maggia (they all have a ton of HP so bursting down with Fireball is rarely an option) and the villians do not contain Daken or The Hood, though I find nodes that qualify this tend to be easier. You'd have to have something like Juggernaut + Sentry + (not Daken not The Hood not Analyst not Soldier), and D3 seems to always remember to include one of those guys to with those 2.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're comparing two Psychic Knives, you're doing it wrong. One Psychic Knives and one Psi Katana are far better and easier to collect the AP for, both from being slightly cheaper and from being two different colors. People still don't understand how to play her, but that's ok, I'll just keep to myself and keep murdering the Heroic.
  • scottee wrote:
    If you're comparing two Psychic Knives, you're doing it wrong. One Psychic Knives and one Psi Katana are far better and easier to collect the AP for, both from being slightly cheaper and from being two different colors. People still don't understand how to play her, but that's ok, I'll just keep to myself and keep murdering the Heroic.

Fireball + Psi-Katana does way more damage on one guy than Psychic Knife + Psi-Katana.

The Daken on the hard node needs 2 Fireballs to be taken down since he has about 8000 HP which puts him easily outside of the burst range of Psylocke. The one on the essential can be killed with Fireball + Psi-Katana and sometimes less if you setup a really good chain, while Psychic Knife + Psi-Katana is not close to enough to knock him down from full heatlh and you run the risk of having the strike tile destroyed before he's downed.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    IM40's Recharge benefits Fireball as well so I don't see his presence changes anything. The expected damage of Psychic Knife is slightly higher than Fireball but 'on average' doesn't work well against The Hood or Daken who are likely the strongest opponents in the DA lineup.

Against Daken the lower level version (low 100s, 4K range HP) can usually be killed by a Fireball plus a good match chain, or Fireball plus attack tile from Psi Katana. He will definitely always die to a Fireball + Psi-Katana. Psylocke, on the other hand, needs 2 Psychic Knives and maybe even something extra. The higher level Daken has around 8000 HP, which can be killed by 2 Fireballs but 2 Psychic Knives won't make much of a dent on his HP and yes you have some pretty good strike tiles on but you better hope they don't get destroyed because then Daken is just going to leisurely heal back up.

On the other hand against The Hood you really need him dead ASAP and Fireball is much better at getting things dead now as opposed to later. If there's a dangerous color pump goon (usually Analyst in this event) again Fireball does the job at getting rid of the low HP Analysts as fast as possible.

Psychic Knife is better if the goons are Maggia (they all have a ton of HP so bursting down with Fireball is rarely an option) and the villians do not contain Daken or The Hood, though I find nodes that qualify this tend to be easier. You'd have to have something like Juggernaut + Sentry + (not Daken not The Hood not Analyst not Soldier), and D3 seems to always remember to include one of those guys to with those 2.

Recharge does actually change a lot of things. I think we both agree that Psyhcic Knife does more damage than Fireball in a longish game (honestly any game that lasts 4 turns after it's cast, since 8ish instances of damage is when it starts to overtake fireball's damage, so your main argument is that fireball is better at bursting the important targets (Daken / Hood).

Vs Hood, sure. One fireball to the face is generally a done deal, and its better to get him off the table ASAP.
    Vs Daken, you do need to burst him down in one shot.

Now, if you're bursting him down, if you had the choice between 2 knifes + katanaing him to death vs 2 fireballs, you would much rather cast the knifes if it's early in the game. We've already established that knives do more damage in a longer game. Here's the thing: IM40 accelerates you past the awkward ap phases where 2 fireballs kills but 2 knives doesnt. . This decision isn't about "Oh, I just got 14 red AP after 7 turns, should I double fireball or wait more turns to get Psylocke going", this decision is more like "Oh I jumped from 6 red AP and 6 black AP on turn 2 to 15 red AP and 6 black AP on turn 3 because of recharge and boosts, should I double fireball Daken down and psi katana the next guy or should I combo Daken and get more sustained damage". If all that matters is killing Daken, the Psylocke combo makes far more sense in that spot as it will deal significantly more damage over the course of the next 5 turns even though it deals less initial damage on the guy you're targetting after Daken (which doesn't really matter right now). And again, the fact that you get the strike tiles a lot earlier than you would have otherwise gives the tiles the potential to be used on more turns throughout the game, since a turn 3 strike tile that lasts to the end (say turn 15) will be in effect for 12 turns, whereas a strike tile cast on turn 7 because you don't have recharge will only be in effect for 5 turns.

Also, does anyone have the stats for Psy's red/black in the PvE at max level? My analysis is all based off of a 135 Psylocke, I'd imagine a 166 Psylocke boosted has her abilities even more beefed up.
  • I don't think a character should be balanced around always boosting and always have certain gimmick support character (X/X/1 IM40) because that clearly isn't something you commonly see used for a good reason. You need 15 red AP to do 2 Psychic Knives, and when you're in that range you can be just do double Fireballs or a Star Spangled Avenger, and you're not beating that in burst damage in the former or sustained damage in the latter and both characters bring more to the table than Psylocke. Yes in this particular event you can't use Captain America so you have to improvise but in general there are much stronger characters for sustained damage than Psylocke.

I do find that in this event, if you don't boost, you often end up with a situation where someone like Hood or Bullseye is sitting at 2K HP when you finally got 8 red AP, so using a Fireball (4K damage) would be overkill but you don't really want to just Fireball another guy instead, so you might as well use Psychic Knife for the sustained damage even though it takes one turn longer to kill him this way. However with boosts you'd just leave guy you want to kill quickly at 4K HP and then immediately Fireball him when you have enough. It's only when you're not quite sure when you'll get your AP this scenario comes into play.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't think a character should be balanced around always boosting and always have certain gimmick support character (X/X/1 IM40) because that clearly isn't something you commonly see used for a good reason. You need 15 red AP to do 2 Psychic Knives, and when you're in that range you can be just do double Fireballs or a Star Spangled Avenger, and you're not beating that in burst damage in the former or sustained damage in the latter and both characters bring more to the table than Psylocke. Yes in this particular event you can't use Captain America so you have to improvise but in general there are much stronger characters for sustained damage than Psylocke.

I do find that in this event, if you don't boost, you often end up with a situation where someone like Hood or Bullseye is sitting at 2K HP when you finally got 8 red AP, so using a Fireball (4K damage) would be overkill but you don't really want to just Fireball another guy instead, so you might as well use Psychic Knife for the sustained damage even though it takes one turn longer to kill him this way. However with boosts you'd just leave guy you want to kill quickly at 4K HP and then immediately Fireball him when you have enough. It's only when you're not quite sure when you'll get your AP this scenario comes into play.

Like i said before,i was solely talking about psylocke being better than torch in the optimal team comp of this specific, roster restricted pve. Red is obviously poor in pretty much any other situation, but major boosted psy + a x/x/1 im40 is one of those super niche situations where it outperforms fireball. Just gos to show you how bad the ability is if it needs +70 levels and a feeder im to be better than torchys.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Also, does anyone have the stats for Psy's red/black in the PvE at max level? My analysis is all based off of a 135 Psylocke, I'd imagine a 166 Psylocke boosted has her abilities even more beefed up.
    Not sure on the max stats but I can tell you that at L150 (so boosted to 240) she's doing 1602 damage with both attacks - the strike tile is 320 and the attack tile is 385.
  • Demolira
    Demolira Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Options
    The level 256 Psylocke has 1721 damage from red with a 343 strike, and 1721 damage from black with a 413 attack tile.
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    I've messed around with torch and psylock maxed in this heroic and quite frankly psylock is infinitely better because of speed. The sustained damage burst damage and obw purple make her much much faster. This character should probably be Thor or storm if you don't have im40 with 1 yellow however.

Not really a fair comparison because Psylocke has the big boost in the current event, compared to torch's little one.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    LoreNYC wrote:

Not really a fair comparison because Psylocke has the big boost in the current event, compared to torch's little one.

Which really says a lot for the power of her Red vs Torch's Red. The fact that Psylocke has the big boost, and I'm still weighing using her Red or Torch's is not a good sign for when they are on even footing. At least she is better at tanking than Torch is.