*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    First off, change it to purpleflag.png like many others have suggested, because Psylocke is purple.

Um...perhaps you should look a little closer at her costume... you know the BLUE one she's wearing. Granted her hair is usually depicted as a very dark purple, and prerelease, I was betting on purpleflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png for her colors. I just don't think that blue is going anywhere.

Though I do have to say, your idea for changing how it actually works would make it a petty awesome move. I'd even consider respecing from my current 5/3/5 to 4/5/4.
  • I see what you are saying. But I think he means her hair. Betsy's hair is purple. Her outfit prior to the Siege Perilous was also purple. Purple has always been her jam, even after the blue unitard.
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    First off, change it to purpleflag.png like many others have suggested, because Psylocke is purple.

Um...perhaps you should look a little closer at her costume... you know the BLUE one she's wearing. Granted her hair is usually depicted as a very dark purple, and prerelease, I was betting on purpleflag.pngblueflag.pngblackflag.png for her colors. I just don't think that blue is going anywhere.

Though I do have to say, your idea for changing how it actually works would make it a petty awesome move. I'd even consider respecing from my current 5/3/5 to 4/5/4.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    I just had an interesting idea for Bewilder while sitting here playing Psylocke along side Daken because her blueflag.png is terrible. (and will always BE terrible, no matter the current meta game)First off, change it to purpleflag.png like many others have suggested, because Psylocke is purple. Second, have it target a color by use of a chosen countdown tile on a basic tile.
      Bewilder - Purple 10 AP
      Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, reaching into the minds of the enemy to disrupt their attack. Converts a chosen basic tile to a 3 turn Countdown tile that steals up to 6AP from the chosen tile color of the enemies color pool.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Steals 8 AP. Level 3: 2 turn CD. Level 4: Steals 10 AP. Level 5: 1 turn CD.

This is your basic "convert one color to another color" power, except it drains it from the enemy. Targeted AP acquisition makes it go from most horrible power ever to reasonably useful as an AP denial tool and AP boost to yourself. Hell, I'd use this power even if all it did was destroy AP. The CD can't reliably be hidden in a corner either, because the chosen color affects what you steal.

Love the idea but it would be way overpowered, it would essentially be, pay 10 purple and then cast x skill once it resolves. If you could place it and steal 10 AP you would have to leave the CD at 3 for sake of balance
    • ronin_san
      ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
      Options
      I'm sure it's been said, but her red is why I was underwhelmed with Gamora's red. I know it takes a while to make Psylocke's cheaper, but that additional strike tile means she is helping anyone do more dmg.

And with characters like Cyclops, generating red isn't that difficult.
    • Phaserhawk
      Options
      ronin-san wrote:
      I'm sure it's been said, but her red is why I was underwhelmed with Gamora's red. I know it takes a while to make Psylocke's cheaper, but that additional strike tile means she is helping anyone do more dmg.

And with characters like Cyclops, generating red isn't that difficult.

True, but let's assume you are against 3 Goons

Psylocke to get to 5 cost red actually takes you

8+7+6+5=26

1131+226+226+226+(1131+226)+(226*2)+(226*2)+(1131+226*2)+(226*3)+(226*3) + (1131+226*3)=9044

Gamora could have done 5 Razor's in that time for 8595. It's only on that 4th use of Psylocke's red does the damage finally outstrip Razor. Now this is best case scenario where you always have Psylocke's red strike tiles out. If you pair her with Daken then she doesnt' get her strike tile and Gamora is clearly better then.

You will never cast 4 Psychic Knifes without losing at least 1 strike tile if you aren't going against goons, and without her strike tiles, the skill pales to Gamora's Razor
    • I know everyone likes to bash poor Betsy, poor man's Punisher, blah blah, but there's a few ways to get good use out of her. The name of the game is speed. She's good at fast clears of easy nodes because her moves are two match moves, not three match moves which the board won't always give you.

The sweet spot for her red is getting two quick red matches then making one green match (or letting the AI do it for you). Daken poops out two red strike tiles and you get to fire off her red for 6 and still get the benefit of her big strike tile. I mean, you are running her with Daken, right?

Alternately you can ignore red entirely if the board isn't favorable and go straight for black. Make those two quick matches, poop out an attack tile, and start doubling up on whatever strike tiles you get off Daken. I mean, you are running her with Daken, right?

For a slightly longer game approach, run her with Patch. Stockpile red and black while you build toward Patch's green. Rage away then unload her cheap powers and enjoy the carnage. Red is probably down to 5 cost at this point, because you are running her with Daken, right?
    • turul
      turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Her cheap abilities are also now favorable for profX
    • Phaserhawk
      Options
      turul wrote:

Only black is cheap, red is quite expensive without Daken.

I'm thinking Devil Dino/Star Lord ftw as I spam tiny arms for 1 AP
    • Aidonis
      Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
      Options
      So back in the olden days, if you used her with daken, his strike tiles would count against her red strike tiles coming out (which was a major bummer). Last week when she was buffed, her tiles only counted against her tiles!! I had a board full of Daken tiles and hers fired out just fine. Did I miss this in a patch? Certainly a much needed change.

A slight change to her blue and a 10-20% damage boost and she'd be in business (unboosted that is, I love her in booted events!)
    • john1620b
      john1620b Posts: 367
      Options
      I think it worked the same for me, so maybe you were imagining things. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    • Vhailorx
      Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      as far as i could tell, red strike tiles still blocked her red when I used her in her pvp event. strike tiles on other colors do not lock out her red.
    • dkffiv
      dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Phaserhawk wrote:
      turul wrote:

Only black is cheap, red is quite expensive without Daken.

I'm thinking Devil Dino/Star Lord ftw as I spam tiny arms for 1 AP

Psylocke is excellent for Prof X, abilities on 3 colors (no purple overlap) and 2 of her abilities leave additional special tiles (5 cover PX needs 4 targets and a single ability is only 3).
    • TheHood
      TheHood Posts: 107
      Options
      Beyond in a pair with Patch, in which teams Psylocke works best?
    • Unknown
      Options
      TheHood wrote:
      Beyond in a pair with Patch, in which teams Psylocke works best?

She is definitely one of the harder characters to build a team around due to her unique color combination. I try to make sure that that any team featuring Psylocke can spend AP in every color so Bewilder is less likely to be useless.

IMO she's alright with Sentry and Falcon, but few people want to use Sentry.

Psylocke/Nick Fury/Hulk also lets you spend ap of every color. Works best if Hulk tanks black.

I want to eventually try her with Scarlett Witch plus a yellow user (Spiderman?), but my Wanda doesn't have enough covers yet.
    • Unknown
      Options
      It's just a fact Bewilder is going to be useless, trying to build around that will be frustrating.

That said, Psylocke, Groot, Professor X has all match damage colors and actives on 5 colors. And with Psylocke boosted you can get Red from PX's blue which would be nice.

Psylocke/Daken is this weird combo where you can match Green once, and then use Psy's red for 6 to get a stronger strike tile out while she still can before the board is over run with Daken tiles. Psy/Daken/KK would be pretty great. 3 cheap powers for KK heals plus purple into green AoE plus green for strike.png .
    • Unknown
      Options
      Lerysh wrote:
      It's just a fact Bewilder is going to be useless, trying to build around that will be frustrating.

I think most people on these forums would agree with you, but I haven't found this to be true for me. It's frustrating at times, but really satisfying when it works. I built my Psylocke with 5 in blue to reduce the countdown to 2, and it usually goes off as long as I wait until there are no blue matches on the board. Granted it's only good in situations where the enemy has lots of ap in at least one color, but that's pretty common, especially in story mode.
    • Unknown
      Options
      Lerysh wrote:

I think most people on these forums would agree with you, but I haven't found this to be true for me. It's frustrating at times, but really satisfying when it works. I built my Psylocke with 5 in blue to reduce the countdown to 2, and it usually goes off as long as I wait until there are no blue matches on the board. Granted it's only good in situations where the enemy has lots of ap in at least one color, but that's pretty common, especially in story mode.

A thing that is totally amazing 1% of the time and a waste of 10 AP you could be doing damage with (*cough*Daken*cough) 99% of the time is still totally useless.
    • Unknown
      Options
      Lerysh wrote:
      A thing that is totally amazing 1% of the time and a waste of 10 AP you could be doing damage with (*cough*Daken*cough) 99% of the time is still totally useless.

It's not a waste of 10 ap 99% of the time, that's ridiculous hyperbole.

Another point is that team composition obviously matters. Daken's blue might be a better use of AP by your reckoning, but maybe my team needs an active black user. Not to mention that sometimes other characters are injured, or Psylocke is buffed, or she's the required character, or you're in the mood for an x-man themed team, or you just feel like mixing it up, etc, etc...
    • Ebolamonkey84
      Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
      Options
      Lerysh wrote:

Another point is that team composition obviously matters. Daken's blue might be a better use of AP by your reckoning, but maybe my team needs an active black user. Not to mention that sometimes other characters are injured, or Psylocke is buffed, or she's the required character, or you're in the mood for an x-man themed team, or you just feel like mixing it up, etc, etc...

Bewilder has two purposes: Prevent the AI from firing a power while also fueling your own abilities. You can make sure the AP gained is useful by running a rainbow team. Unfortunately, the PVE enemy teams are rarely rainbow teams, so more often than not you will end up stealing a color completely useless to the AI.
    • Unknown
      Options
      Lerysh wrote:

Somewhere around here there is a post mathmatically justifying Bewilder as hands down the "worst power ever". I tried to search for it but I couldn't find it.

The argument goes something like this: Bewilder will almost always steal a color the enemy isn't using. As the meta shifts between colors (I.E. current meta is Black == dead) what the AI has in available AP and what you can use as available AP will almost never line up, because even if we shifted over to say, awesome yellow powers, then the AI is likely to have very little yellow AP and you are unlikely to have a use for all the purple AP you just stole.

They phrased it better, but the key lies in the fact you steal from their largest AP pool, which is almost by necessity one they are not using. I will give you it's a lot easier to make a rainbow team (but Psylocke's weird color distribution does make it difficult for her particularly) than it use to be, but if your sole blue power is Bewilder, and the enemy doesn't have a blue power, then you are just committing AP for the sake of committing AP to steal blue.

Maybe 99% useless is a stretch, but 75% probably isn't. And a power that is 75% worthless is worthless. Not worth building a team around.