*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• dfields3710
    dfields3710 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    I love using Psylocke 5/3/5. Her red can half an enemy life in an instant. Her blue is best with another ap stealer like hood keeping all the enemies ap down enough so you can get the most useful colors. Her black helps her end in dealing 1000+ match damage with 1000+ attack tile damage quickly dropping a lot of enemies. She also helps my PvP climb with her low-cost, mild damage abilities. Making matches end quicker.
  • dfields3710
    dfields3710 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Hi, I'm NoGimmicks in the StampCollectors alliance. I was passing time on the forums and started looking at characters and reading the comments when they are released and so forth. I was wondering why doesn't anybody like psylocke's blue skill and/or her in general. Now I know there are way worser characters like bagman, elektra, sentry, etc. But she is probably one of the fastest characters to activate a skill and down her opponents like gamora and human torch. Now my preferred build is 5/3/5 do to damage at max.

Now in the red department, human torch does 3x as much at 8ap then return 2ap. But he doesn't add strike tiles lowering the cost to 5ap at max with 3 strike tiles adding extra damage. Didn't add anyone with passives cause their passives and any 4*s because their 4*s.

Her blue is kinda like Nick Fury but she steals from the largest color pool.OBW does better cause her black help fuel her purple and steals 3ap from most of the colors. If you keep the enemies ap low or go against people with high ap cost(LCap, Luke, GSBW, etc.) Psylockes's blue can keep you or teammate fueled with ap. Didn't list any passives cause their passives and any 4*s cause thair 4*s.

Her black helps her red and helps put the strike tiles to use. The hood's black only really helps countdowns, Gamora's cost too much but pays big. Human torch does about the same damage but is too situational, Luke Cage is high but does extraordinary damage, and Black Panther does 4x as much for four more ap to the whole team. I didn't list any that where passive cause their passives and didn't list any 4*s cause their 4*s.

Now I did list people that have better and high damage. I understand there are better and faster but she is pretty fast and pretty tough. Now I dont have her maxed or fully covered on my account cause I'm fairly new(180+ days) but my brother does so I use his. I have her doing 1000+ match damage with 1000+ attack tile damage while piling on her ability damage. I've dropped Luke cage, iron fist, rocket and Groot, Patch, Daken, even hulk do to her damage/ap steal build. And her health keeps her alive to at least kill someone. I don't know maybe its because the new characters are beginning to overshadow her *sigh*
    Agree or disagree. Comment below.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Psylocke is not bad. But she's not very good either. She's middle ground for me.

I do like using her though. I team her with Daken and Falcon for some PVE nodes or when she's buffed. But other than that, i don't usually use her.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blade does everything she does better.

And her blue is way too random to be of any use - She-Hulk's green is how a skill like that should work.

Psyduck is annoying when boosted because you're guaranteed to eat some 1000s of damage, but she's mid-tier at best.
  • From what i read, she is outclassed, like some other old 3*s. I think she would be fine with just some quality of life changes?

Like, her redflag.png not being capped, or if capped, it could boost existing tiles.

Her blueflag.png needs some tweaking. Instead of stealing 20 AP, when the countdown tile resolves, the enemy can't use abilities from their strongest color for the next 2 or 3 turns or you choose a color at 5 covers. Maybe switch the power to purpleflag.png ?

Her blackflag.png seems pretty good.
  • Psylocke is sluggish and lame. She is not worth sinking the ISO into, because no matter what role she plays, other characters play it better. Even if you desperately need to cover red and black for some reason, you're still better off with Blade, Luke Cage, Cyclops, Torch, Punisher, or Captain Marvel (in that order, and yes, I know that two of them don't actually have active reds, but they're still better at covering the color!). Neither of her skills do enough damage fast enough - sure, it adds up over time, but by the time it's knocked off half of, say, Thor's health, he's hit you with Thunder Strike and Call The Storm and killed half your team. She neither has great passives or utility like other low-damage characters, and her health isn't high enough to really stick around that long. And then there's her blue. I have written ESSAYS about why Bewilder is the worst skill in the game.
    Yeah, honestly, Psylocke's blue is just so bad that it's hard to even get your head around. At first, stealing up to 19AP seems decent. Hell, even attached to a 10-AP price tag and a 2-turn countdown. But let's think about it for a moment. Why is AP steal good? Well, it gives you resources, and it robs the enemy of resources. Two problems.

1. Robbing the enemy of resources is meaningless if the enemy has no use for those resources. If I'm running Patch/Cap/Daken, for instance, and the opponent uses bewilder on me, 9/10 times it's going to hit purple. I don't care if I lose my purple with that team; it's AP I can never use anyways. She could have stolen my red AP or my blue AP or my Green AP... But by the time Bewilder comes online, I almost always have had time to, yanno, spend it. On skills I want to use. And if not, then there's hardly going to be enough there to justify stealing 19 of it.
    2. Giving me resources is meaningless if I have no use for those resources. This gets into the metagame a bit, but... The fact that I picked a team up there that has no active purple skill? Not a coincidence. The fact is that with almost any solid team you pick, purple is going to be a dead color. There are almost no active purple skills, and all of the characters with active purple skills are either somewhere between mediocre and terrible (Loki, Falcon, GSBW, Daredevil) or incredibly difficult to get (Deadpool, Fury). Name me a solid or top-tier 3* team, and the dead color is almost always going to be purple. And you're probably not running purple either, for exactly the same reason! Indeed, this is the paradox inherent in Bewilder - the more likely you are to snag a certain color, the less likely it is that anyone on your team can do anything with it. In the 2* range you at least mitigate this problem; there, the "rare color" is usually Black, and Psylocke has an awesome black. But in the 3* range, where you'll usually be using the character? No. This theory is borne out again and again in practice.

This would make the skill hard to use even without the minimum 2-turn counter. With the countdown, the enemy can explicitly seek out purple, or any other color they think can protect their most important colors, to cockblock you. Almost every time I use the skill, I spend 10 AP and get nothing in return. Bewilder could be a decent skill. But the restriction of "color with most AP", which would seem to make it get the most bang for its buck, in reality just makes it completely unplayable on a fundamental level. And I don't just mean "bad now", I mean "bad regardless of what they do". Like, what if they add a whole bunch of really decent purple passives? Well, simple - the meta would shift, and suddenly yellow would be the "weak" color. The color that's rare. The color that most teams don't cover. There is no good way around this. Not without the balance between powers being far, far better than they are now.

Granted, my complaint about purple has subsided somewhat now that Iron Fist, Blade, Doom's 3rd cover, Kamala came out and Daredevil and GSBW are actually worth using now, but the problem still remains - whatever color you steal is one that is useless to your opponent, and you have to hope that it'll be useful to your team. And given that you've already wasted a spot on an ostensible DPS character who does damage the way Carlos Mencia does comedy (almost offensively badly), those odds are not that great.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love using Psylocke 5/3/5. Her red can half an enemy life in an instant. Her blue is best with another ap stealer like hood keeping all the enemies ap down enough so you can get the most useful colors. Her black helps her end in dealing 1000+ match damage with 1000+ attack tile damage quickly dropping a lot of enemies. She also helps my PvP climb with her low-cost, mild damage abilities. Making matches end quicker.

I like Psylocke a lot recently but you're completely wrong. Red only deals 1131 damage so 2 casts isn't even enough to halve Hood, most characters have 10k+ HP now. You're limited to 3 strike tiles so 678 + 246 (82 x 3, 4* max match damage) = 924 match damage. You need 4 attack tiles to cross 1k but I guess we're assuming you have some strike tiles out.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally like Psylock, and use her sometimes in PVE. Here is her problem. Red costs too much for what it does. If it was just 6AP she would be much stronger. Since there is no red AP accelerator if you bring her on her own her red is slow. If you bring Daken (I do) you **** her red power to 0-1 strike tiles.
    Her black becomes her best ability to pair with other people's strike tiles, but there are so many more characters with either better attack tiles, or better black powers. IF gives a free bigger attack tile and feeds black for instance.
    If psylock's red cost 6 AP always and gave a strike tile always, and her blue took either the other teams strongest color or your teams strongest color then she would be much better. As of now she is unfortunately out classed. She can be fun, but has to have the right team around her, and that team to help her is no longer good In PVP, or hard nodes in PVE.
    I will use her with Daken and Patch. The only hard node I would bring this team too is a goon only node, and only if blade was down and I was out of health packs.
  • I think Psylocke, Punisher and Sentry really need some big changes because of how much the game changed and the power of new characters being released.

Until they do that, they could make some quality of life changes since they are pretty easy and fast to do.

Psylocke --> Don't cap her redflag.png . Black Panther, Iron Fist and Gamora don't have a cap and their attack tiles are better. Daken and Blade do it passively without a cap as well.
    Her blueflag.png should at least let me choose a color, since i need to collect 10 Blue (pretty much 4 matches) and still wait 2-3 turns.
    Her blackflag.png needs more damage, after all we have Blade's purple that scales with attack tiles and IF always have one on board for free AND for more damage.

Punisher ---> Can he get the Beast treatment and have his greenflag.png not destroy friendly special tiles? Really annoying when you destroy your own Molotov or the other attack tiles... His attack tiles also need some boost since the health changes, the same for his blackflag.png
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Lanko8 wrote:
    I think Psylocke, Punisher and Sentry really need some big changes because of how much the game changed and the power of new characters being released.

Until they do that, they could make some quality of life changes since they are pretty easy and fast to do.

Psylocke --> Don't cap her redflag.png . Black Panther, Iron Fist and Gamora don't have a cap and their attack tiles are better. Daken and Blade do it passively without a cap as well.
    Her blueflag.png should at least let me choose a color, since i need to collect 10 Blue (pretty much 4 matches) and still wait 2-3 turns.
    Her blackflag.png needs more damage, after all we have Blade's purple that scales with attack tiles and IF always have one on board for free AND for more damage.

Punisher ---> Can he get the Beast treatment and have his greenflag.png not destroy friendly special tiles? Really annoying when you destroy your own Molotov or the other attack tiles... His attack tiles also need some boost since the health changes, the same for his blackflag.png

Punisher when buffed is actually good. His red is still awsome with downing a character under 40%. If his green just did 1500 damage as well it would be much better. Also have molar ove cocktail give 1 attack tile to start. This would make his black much better.

For Psylock just make her red 6 ap no cap on strike tiles. Her blue just choose the strongest color for either the player or opponent, and her black can get a slight bump. Just remember if you buff her red then her black gets a buff because it uses the strike tiles. Having a massive strike tile makes any attack tile much better.
  • She's a worse version of Luke Cage

But she has a place on team Girl Power, so you don't have to fret over what folks think
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    Lanko8 wrote:

It'd be awesome if his Judgment was a targeted attack - like a cheap version of Twin Pistols. That by itself would probably be a good enough power tweak to bring Frank Castle back into my must-use list instead of him being stuck in novelty land.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Psylocke, even though she's pretty much been obsoleted by the evolving power creep. I think with a few changes she could be a worthy asset. Just for fun, let's evolve her into a faster killing machine, with steady damage, minor AP drain, and a bit of protection (and no real nuke - just consistent cuts, whittling the opponent down.) She'd be a DDQ all-star when paired with Falcon.

Psychic Knife - 6 redtile.png
    Psylocke gains momentum, fluidly chaining attacks together. Deals 59 damage and creates a strength 14 Red Strike tile.
    Level 2: Deals 94 damage
    Level 3: Increases Strike tile damage to 22
    Level 4: 153 damage
    Level 5: Increase strike tile damage to 36
    Max Level: Deals 1131 damage, creates a 270 strength red strike tile.

Telepathic Shield - 6 purpletile.png
    Psylocke steadies and channels her telepathic power, disrupting her enemy's concentration and protecting her allies. Steals 1 AP in a random color from the enemy, and converts a basic purple tile to a strength 14 protect tile.
    Level 2: Increases protect tile strength to 22
    Level 3: Steals 2 random AP.
    Level 4: Increases protect tile strength to 31
    Level 5: Steals 3 random AP
    Max Level: Steals a total of 3 AP from random selected colors, creates a 270 strength purple Protect tile.

Psi-Katana - 6 blacktile.png
    Psylocke carves the enemy up with her psionic katana. Deals 59 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding, converting a basic Black tile to an Attack tile that deals 14 damage to the current target each turn.
    Level 2: Deals 94 damage
    Level 3: Increases attack tile damage to 22
    Level 4: 153 damage
    Level 5: Increases attack tile damage to 36
    Max Level: Deals 1131 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converts a black tile into a 270 attack tile that damages the current opponent each turn.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2015
    The best use of her telepathy is against robots. Seriously.

Try using her blueflag.png against the Ultron Sentries in the upcoming Event. They have no actives and quickly accumulate AP until they hit the 30 AP cap. You can easily bring in the max AP that Bewilder allows vs these goons.

Bring a rainbow team! I like Psy/LC/KK|gsBW.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    And then there's her blue. I have written ESSAYS about why Bewilder is the worst skill in the game.

My vote still goes to Deadpool's Black, aka, "Oh, you want to use Whales? Well let me just jump in front of this Righteous Uppercut first!"

Bewilder is mostly useless, but at least it won't actively seek to mess up your gameplan.
  • Psylocke was good for like a week and then she got outclassed by several other heroes. Now her damage just doesn't justify her health.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    My vote still goes to Deadpool's Black, aka, "Oh, you want to use Whales? Well let me just jump in front of this Righteous Uppercut first!"

This is truth... I wonder if we can petition to get Life of the Party renamed to "What, me worry?" and get D3Go to photoshop Alfred E. Neuman onto Deadpool when it triggers...
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I agree, she is underestimated. She isn't bad at all when considering who is worse than her. I ranked her in the higher echelons of mid tier in my character guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30187&p=374330#p374330
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Her buffed stats need to be her normal stats.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    To be frank I'm thinking using unbuffed hulkbuster over super-buffed (to 290) psylocke in women of marvel.