*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Can someone explain her red ability in plain english?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Can someone explain her red ability in plain english?

If there are less than 3 red strike tiles on board (i.e. 0/1/2 red strike tiles on board pre cast), create one red strike tile. When there are 3 or more red strike tiles on board, create no more strike tiles.

AP cost (auto update in skill panel):
    8 - no red strike tiles on board
    7 - 1 red strike tile on board
    6 - 2 red strike tiles on board
    5 - 3 or more red strike tiles on board
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Baltias wrote:

If there are less than 3 red strike tiles on board (i.e. 0/1/2 red strike tiles on board pre cast), create one red strike tile. When there are 3 or more red strike tiles on board, create no more strike tiles.

so her ability gets cheaper (5AP min) the more strike tiles that she created are on the board. I get it now
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Baltias wrote:

so her ability gets cheaper (5AP min) the more strike tiles that she created are on the board. I get it now

Specifically, it's red strike tiles and it isn't limited to the ones she created. To see the difference, pair her with Daken.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    And once there's three on the board, Psy won't create anymore.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doesn't help her usefulness in 3* land, but I had a lot of success with Bewilder + Ares.

Cast Bewilder - wait til 1 turn left, cast Onslaught to feed them green, immediately steal it back. That's with the 3CD counter too, I didn't see many issues getting it to launch.

I could see it having similar synergy with Panther, though the color then isn't necessarily controlled as well.
  • HairyDave wrote:

This is why I think she's terrible with Daken. His strike tiles are about 4-5 times weaker than Psylocke's. And also, in order to gain more red to set of her 5AP red you need to (probably) eliminate a few strike tiles by matching reds.

I much prefer having Psylocke strike tiles over Daken's.

I think running Psylocke is good against heroes with expensive abilities such as IM40 and GSBW. What it comes down to is that you have to analyse the colour coverage of each battle you are heading in to. If LThor is the only green user then using Bewilder is likely to steal green/yellow or maybe purple. Same if BP is the only black user on the opposite team.

I'm starting to regret down-grading my Bewilder from 5. I now have BP and Falcon almost maxed and AP denial is a rare skill.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Milkrain wrote:
    HairyDave wrote:

This is why I think she's terrible with Daken. His strike tiles are about 4-5 times weaker than Psylocke's. And also, in order to gain more red to set of her 5AP red you need to (probably) eliminate a few strike tiles by matching reds.

I much prefer having Psylocke strike tiles over Daken's.

I think running Psylocke is good against heroes with expensive abilities such as IM40 and GSBW. What it comes down to is that you have to analyse the colour coverage of each battle you are heading in to. If LThor is the only green user then using Bewilder is likely to steal green/yellow or maybe purple. Same if BP is the only black user on the opposite team.

I'm starting to regret down-grading my Bewilder from 5. I now have BP and Falcon almost maxed and AP denial is a rare skill.

The problem is, then you need 8 red to cast, and her red is not very good at 8. He red is decent at 5. But one plays Psy for the black and nothing else. But assuming you have 3 Daken tiles out, that's 204 worth of strike tiles, and Psy puts out one at 226 so sure you can't put out a 226 strike tile, but you're only out 22 dmg. Otherwise if she can put one out, it means you probably had to spend 6,7 or 8 red and that's just not cost effective.
  • Psylocke isn't very good with Daken because she isn't very good, not because there's any conflict between her ability and Daken's. People are too fixiated in the extremely lucky case where you can get a Psychic Knife for 6 red AP, and even if you're lucky enough to pull that off it doesn't have any meaningful impact on the game. It's more like a cool party trick but it's not a reason to use the character if you've better options.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think 5/3/5 Psylocke actually works really well with Daken/Falcon. It's super fast. Here's why:

Green- lays Daken's strike tiles
    Yellow- buffs strike tiles
    Black- for 6AP, deal an attack that utilizes strike tiles, then lays the cheapest attack tile in the game to double tap the strike tiles
    Red- once Daken's tiles are out, a 5AP attack that again taps strike tiles
    Purple- Falcon's protect tiles that can be buffed
    Blue- Save for Chem Reaction as the finisher

Basically, it revolves around Daken's strike tiles, not Psy's. The point of Psy is to use two super cheap attacks that take advantage of said buffed strike tiles. Getting 6 Black is also key, because just one attack tile doubles the strike tile damage each turn. And Psy has the cheapest attack tile in the game, that ALSO deals damage when cast.

So four colors increase your damage per turn, and they're cumulative, so it ramps up super quickly.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I think 5/3/5 Psylocke actually works really well with Daken/Falcon. It's super fast. Here's why:

Green- lays Daken's strike tiles
    Yellow- buffs strike tiles
    Black- for 6AP, deal an attack that utilizes strike tiles, then lays the cheapest attack tile in the game to double tap the strike tiles
    Red- once Daken's tiles are out, a 5AP attack that again taps strike tiles
    Purple- Falcon's protect tiles that can be buffed
    Blue- Save for Chem Reaction as the finisher

Basically, it revolves around Daken's strike tiles, not Psy's. The point of Psy is to use two super cheap attacks that take advantage of said buffed strike tiles. Getting 6 Black is also key, because just one attack tile doubles the strike tile damage each turn. And Psy has the cheapest attack tile in the game, that ALSO deals damage when cast.

So four colors increase your damage per turn, and they're cumulative, so it ramps up super quickly.

Yeah, shes not bad in that team comp but she still just seems like an inferior torch (flame jets being green is huge since you get daken tiles and a tile outlet all in green, red is comparable in power if not better, black is worse but still an option) in that position. She reminds me of punisher where shes fine if you transition into 3* land, but once you have a developed roster, she gets obsoleted pretty quickly.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ... on the other hand, after being forced to use her in PvE, I like that laying down a quick attack tile with Berserker Rage gets me past the goons twice as fast...
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I think 5/3/5 Psylocke actually works really well with Daken/Falcon.
    The biggest problem with that team is you don't have any active green or yellow users. You're collecting all this AP and there's no where to put it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After using Psylocke in PVE I think LDaken is her best friend. Getting red strike tiles out means for 5 red AP she does 1k damage plus strike tile damage. She then sends out attack tiles for 6 black. You just need to pair her with a strong Green to go along with this pairing. I think she would more versitale if they just dropped the cost of her red to 6 red AP. If you look at Torches red it does close to 3k damage and generates 2 red AP, and Deadpool can do a little over 3k damage for 6 red. for 1k damage and a strike tile I think 6 red would make her play much better with other characters. As is if I am not running her with Daken black is the only color I really use her for becuase there are better red's and Blue is not a priority color.
  • yes.. psylocke can be quite scary at higher levels as it scales. Her black is really very damaging too. Moreover with the changes to daken (both versions) now in patch R60, maybe its good to use them together. I am more yearning to try out 2* daken with psylocke, now that daken has Chemical Reaction (Blue skill).
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hannybal wrote:
    yes.. psylocke can be quite scary at higher levels as it scales. Her black is really very damaging too. Moreover with the changes to daken (both versions) now in patch R60, maybe its good to use them together. I am more yearning to try out 2* daken with psylocke, now that daken has Chemical Reaction (Blue skill).

I sold my 2* and I am going to rebuild him. The 450 HP was too good not too. I was only using him in BOP anyway. Now I can rebuild him an open a roster slot for Colossus!!
  • So os Psylocke 5-3-5 supposed to be the optimum? I have her at 5-4-4 right now, and finishing the Gauntlet so I can resec seems so...
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, 5-3-5 is optimal. Blue is too unreliable and black is good.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Yes, 5-3-5 is optimal. Blue is too unreliable and black is good.

Thanks. I think I have the last two Sims and last set of Essentials to do, and I dunno if I wanna use up my remaining Deadpool points on that. A couple tries at Sim 41 ended in utter failure.

Then again, my only other use for healthpacks is the Hulk event right now, so we'll see.
  • Just leveled Pslocke to max level. She is surprisingly versatile. Psy/LThor/Falcon was a very solid combination. I played around with Psy/LDaken - it's decent but the lack of active abilities is a bit too much. I also used Patch/LDaken/Psylocke - this team disintigrated enemies. I doesn't still doesn't cover yellow/purple. However, it has a very strong "go for green/red/black" color set. When leveled up in special events, Psylocke is a monster. She doesn't do too well at low levels - really needs 5-3-5 to shine.