4* DDQ: Professer X vs Carnage Edition

Comments

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Does Scythes' main target damage not go through invis? I was so sad when Carnage reached 7 red, but he never used it.
  • Bwahahaha! My PX is 1/0/0 - and the 1 cover I have is gold! But, hey, I always try. It was the most civil and calm match with Carnage ever.

All he we did was match tiles he never fired a power and he slaughtered me.

I like to think that the AI saw my situation and decided no to rub it in. icon_lol.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    535 professor here, beat it first try. Went invis, and all but one friendly attack tile got matched, so it just slooowly got built up until it was hitting Carnage for 1k+.

I like to imagine this as Carnage repeatedly getting punched in the face with his own tendril while Chuck shouts "STOP HITTING YOURSELF! STOP HITTING YOURSELF!"
  • Took me about 6 tries with my 1/1/0 lvl 74 Prof due to unwanted destruction of my invisibility tile (or lack of pinks to make initial invisibility), but I got it.

Probably gonna wait till tomorrow to open my pack. Want a chance at Phoenix.
  • Sidlon
    Sidlon Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Really confused by the Carnage AI this round. My first 3 tries, he'd freeze me with the IM40 TU, then he could wipe me out with his red.

Beat him on the 4th try, when for some reason his TU never fired even though he had 30 TU AP. (and 15 red)
  • Easiest 4* DDQ yet.

Go invis and carnage will kill himself with attack tiles.
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    anzalover wrote:

...I really wish I'd thought of that.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    I almost feel bad for how one sided that fight was with my level 74 1/1/0 PX...I think he got off two whole matches worth of damage before I spent the next 15 minutes bringing him down with the death of a thousand cuts. Pretty anti climactic.

And then I got my first icon_cyclops.png cover. Hooray, another character to add to the list of ones I will maybe be finished collecting in two years.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easy win. Went invisible on the third turn, grabbed all the red I could, and he never got a power off (although I killed him right after he got 12 green, so Carnage Rules would have happened if I hadn't been quite so quick). He even matched away my invis tile somewhere in there and I never noticed because he wasn't doing anything except match damage and two attack tiles.

My prize: icon_invisiblewoman.pngyellowflag.png . My sixth. Easy come, easy go.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    stryke wrote:
    anzalover wrote:

...I really wish I'd thought of that.

I think it is not tomorrow. Tomorrow we got the CPs, Phoenix I think it will be the 12th or the 15th (second week of november they said).

I on the other hand will open all legendaries ASAP, I have both SS and OML with 3 covers, so another one could be big for them (bring them to usable). One Phoenix is completely useless.
    Polares wrote:
    Thing is red needs a target, it is like Call the Storm, so if he doesnt have a target he cant cast the ability. This makes this fight so much easier (but if you loose your invis tile then you are done).

So does CTS function like Symbiote Scythes, in that it cannot hit invisible opponents? Cos CTS says that it hits the enemy team first, and then hits the target for extra damage

I am not 100% sure but I think so. I remember somebody saying that he could not cast CTS against an invisible ProfX.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Took me two tries with my 1 2 0 Level 90 Prof X.

My first attempt he got some **** Match-4 Red on his first turn, and I got one-shotted about 6 turns in.
    My 2nd attempt with + 2 B/U, +2 all, + 100% Crit was victorious. But even in that run, he matched away my invisible tile, but I was able to send out another. He also got off a green, but it missed my invisible tile. The turn I killed him he had enough red to one-shot me next turn, and his own attack tiles did him in. So a good amount of luck in this fight.

icon_kingpin.pngblackflag.png from the token, which makes mine now a measly 1 1 0, so anything will help!

I could actually see this one being oddly fun with a higher leveled Prof X.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    This was a super nice surprise. I always like to play through once with no boosts to see what happens, so I put in my Lvl 90 1/2/0 Prof. X for a laugh. Got enough purple to cast Invisibility on the third round, and ... the end! Holy ****, it was amazing. Casting Invis got me a yellow attack tile that my purple boosted every turn, and since I was lucky enough not to have it or my Invis tile matched, the attack tile was punching for 1200 a turn by the end. I even had enough purple banked to go invisible again if I wanted to (it helps that it's not one of Carnage's colors)!

Again, this was a huge relief after the Gamora/Star Lord bloodbath - first time I've ever won it on the first try! I even like the reasoning for why my puny Prof. X won - Carnage is a hideous bruiser, but he's dumb as hell, so the perfesser can easily hang back and wait for him to kill himself with raw aggression.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    2/1/1 lvl 94 here. Went invisible relatively quickly, Invisibility tile got nicely tucked in a corner, but I kept matching away any purple that headed that way, and tried to keep any match 4's out of those row/columns.

Only had 2 Match 5's that match, but it was nice to finally be able to win one again. It's been a while since I won one. I just couldn't beat the IW one since I didn't have her green cover to actually do damage, but this one was much easier.

Got a greenflag.pngicon_carnage.png for the effort, putting Carnage at 4/2/5.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Won on the first try with lvl 111 1/2/2 Prof. X, B/P and all AP boosted. The board was kind to me for once and gave me 3 match-5s in a row right at the start, followed by enough purple to go invisible two turns later. Had a close call midway, when Carnage green destroyed my invisibility tile, but I got another one up in two turns, and hung on until he went down.

Token got me Ice-Man purple, so my reward for winning was having to buy a roster slot. icon_razz.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    Got it on my first try with 5/2/1 PX... and got my first Surfer off the LToken!!

Thanks, devs! After the ridiculous unfairness of the Star-lord battle (which I still attribute more to the weakness of SL than his opponent), today's battle is... well.....

63820119.jpg
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    I had noted that Carnage wasn't firing off his "Symbiote Scythes" when I was invisible - he had enough AP for it for two or three turns and I was worried - a direct hit would have ended the fight for me. I think what was going on there is that while it is an AoE, it is still technically targetted, and since Professor X was invisible he can't target the character and so cannot fire it off. I imagine Call the Storm would have the same problem. The Devs may fix this (allow it to go off, but treat the opponent as not the primary target,) but since this is a pretty unique circumstance I suspect they won't.

I have a 5/4/2 153 Professor X. I was down to about 4500 damage when I got my invisibility tile up - Carnage never managed to match or destroy it (he only got off one "Carnage Rules," though.) On the flip side, I only got one match 5 and there were rarely more than two or three attack tiles on either side. It was slow, but not bad. If I lost, I would have definitely just tried again.

Pulled icon_redhulk.pngpurpleflag.png so that's pretty good, too.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    1/1/1 L78 px won on second try. First board was purple starved band the ai got 7 red on turn 2. Needless to say that ended quickly. Second time I got a purple heavy board, was invisible by turn 4 and watched as carnage did as carnage does. Seriously, the only way to lose this is via a bad cascade when the ai is ready to spam abilities or by not having a purple cover.
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Beat node 1st try with lvl 104 1/1/4, boost b/p + all + match damage. Basically stayed invis the whole time with 1 recasts. Easy peasy. A nice change after the phone breaking star lord node.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Gave it the old Xavier Institute try with my 1/0/0 Prof X. Yeah, it was competitive for about 45 seconds.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    0/1/0. 5 tries. ate a ton of boosts but worth it.

Got a red Thing.