***** Jean Grey (Phoenix) *****

Comments

• Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I've always thought a character that decreases enemy special tile values instead of outright destroying them would be useful against characters that produce a limited number of special tiles like Cage, Iron Fist, and Spider-man. Its just unfortunate that you have to make a match 5 to trigger it.
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    I think so far everyone is under-valuing her purple. Not only will it generate red, it will generate 5-matches, which will mitigate the bad part of her red power while fueling it again. I can see that cycle repeating to deadly effect, especially paired with another red tile generator or a purple generator.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrDoMe wrote:
    I think so far everyone is under-valuing her purple. Not only will it generate red, it will generate 5-matches
    Not often enough to be useful. How often does one cast of Iron Fist's purple give you a match5? You really need to double it up to have a good chance of getting one, and her purple is too expensive to save up for a double. And this assumes you have purple at 5, which doesn't seem like it'd be her best build.
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    "Best build" for a 5-star is largely academic, but I agree it's not ideal. Maybe two hits of her purple is to expensive, but I can see firing it with Mutant Revolutionary or Hulk Proof to good effect.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    In a world with 5*'s who have 40K+ health I think it is pretty reasonable to save for a double cast purple and should cause at least 1 match 5
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    SangFroid wrote:
    In a world with 5*'s who have 40K+ health I think it is pretty reasonable to save for a double cast purple and should cause at least 1 match 5
    But this is also a world with 5*s that can do 35k damage in one shot.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    https://youtu.be/WWQaIv7KjIs

Video analysis up.
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    On my sandbox account, I have now played a fair bit of Phoenix. She is FAR more ferocious than either OML or SS, because her skills are immediately available (except for her green, of course). The cascades of purple into red are absolutely deadly (I HIGHLY recommend 5 covers in purple). If you pair her with 3* cyclops, you get cyclops' yellow power plus phoenix's purple cascading into red. I have finished many fights in 4* land with that combo in a very few moves. The added benefit of pairing her even with a 3* cyclops (especially if you also have OML with her) is that cyclops will hardly ever get hit, since Phoenix and OML will tank almost every color. Now, you talk about an unbeatable combination, that is it: OML, Phoenix, and 3* cyclops.

Also, she just doesn't get killed that often. Even fighting 2 4*'s with one OML fairly well built, she only died about once every 8 fights or so. I don't think that the green will be abused much. At any rate, 5 covers in green is not a good idea. My recommended optimal build is 454.
  • Chenpion
    Chenpion Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    If green isn't that critical, why not 3/5/5?
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Chenpion wrote:

I'm thinking 4/5/4 maybe. Going from 4 to 5 red gets you:
      No damage increase 1 extra Strike tile No Strike tile strength increase 1 extra enemy Attack tile Increased enemy Attack tile strength

So, minimal damage increase, with a large increase to the drawbacks.
  • notamutant
    Chenpion wrote:

I strongly disagree with anyone that doesn't go 5 in green. It absolutely is essential to have it activate right away to benefit from it. On defense it might be useless, but on offense it is the best skill to have in the game. It makes dying meaningless.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    Chenpion wrote:

I strongly disagree with anyone that doesn't go 5 in green. It absolutely is essential to have it activate right away to benefit from it. On defense it might be useless, but on offense it is the best skill to have in the game. It makes dying meaningless.

Well, it is obvious green is the defining ability of Phoenix, but I am wondering which is her best config, 5/4/4 or 4/5/4.

From 5 to 4 green the difference is having to wait a turn, and from 4 to 5 in purple is one more red tile converted and one more special tile improved and each by a little bit more. For purple, the match-5 part can be ignored, the important part is how much likely of getting a cascade is going from 6 to 7 tiles converted, and If I remember it correctly the difference is not that big (it is not that there is not a difference, it is that 7 tiles converted is not that much). I guess If you wait to cast it twice then it can be a big difference, but 16 AP is a lot. One turn on the other hand can be A LOT of time, BUT this is just when you are on offence, because in defence Phoenix will likely be killed last.

So, I guess maybe 5/4/4 but If my covers would fall 4/5/4 it wouldn't be that bad.
  • notamutant
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    Chenpion wrote:

Well, it is obvious green is the defining ability of Phoenix, but I am wondering which is her best config, 5/4/4 or 4/5/4.

From 5 to 4 green the difference is having to wait a turn, and from 4 to 5 in purple is one more red tile converted and one more special tile improved and each by a little bit more. For purple, the match-5 part can be ignored, the important part is how much likely of getting a cascade is going from 6 to 7 tiles converted, and If I remember it correctly the difference is not that big (it is not that there is not a difference, it is that 7 tiles converted is not that much). I guess If you wait to cast it twice then it can be a big difference, but 16 AP is a lot. One turn on the other hand can be A LOT of time, BUT this is just when you are on offence, because in defence Phoenix will likely be killed last.

So, I guess maybe 5/4/4 but If my covers would fall 4/5/4 it wouldn't be that bad.

I find it funny how we do all this analysis when only the richest players will actually have any control over cover setup. I wouldn't mind just having a 5/0/0 Phoenix.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    Chenpion wrote:

I find it funny how we do all this analysis when only the richest players will actually have any control over cover setup. I wouldn't mind just having a 5/0/0 Phoenix.

Well, in fact I am assuming that by the time I have a maxed Phoenix there would be other ways of covering 5s icon_razz.gif

In any case I think 5/4/4, 4/5/4, 5/5/3 are good, probably 3/5/5 and 4/4/5 are the worst, but as you said, right now any maxed 5 is a God in this game and by the time when we will be able to max them everything could be different...
  • Chenpion
    Chenpion Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Polares wrote:
    Well, in fact I am assuming that by the time I have a maxed Phoenix there would be other ways of covering 5s icon_razz.gif
    Uberwhaling.
  • DrLemniscate
    Apparently her ap costs change when she is reborn.

Purple: 7ap to start, 8ap when reborn.

Red: 9ap to start, 6ap when reborn.

http://m.imgur.com/a/zzwLN

Guessing it's intended, just wasn't mentioned. She starts to lose her sense of self, making it harder to use her natural psychic abilities, and easier to turn to the Phoenix force.
  • Polares

Guessing it's intended, just wasn't mentioned. She starts to lose her sense of self, making it harder to use her natural psychic abilities, and easier to turn to the Phoenix force.

This is an important piece of information! 6 for red is VERY good, not OML transformed good, but very good.

Then I guess 5/4/4 is the way to go. Aaaaand start all matches at 1/3 of life icon_razz.gif

Ps: And I think it is obvious now both her and OML are far better than SS icon_e_sad.gif
  • DrLemniscate
    Polares wrote:

This is an important piece of information! 6 for red is VERY good, not OML transformed good, but very good.

Then I guess 5/4/4 is the way to go. Aaaaand start all matches at 1/3 of life icon_razz.gif

Ps: And I think it is obvious now both her and OML are far better than SS icon_e_sad.gif

Agree on the 5/4/4. Of course, there are some new considerations such as 5 red can get her killed faster. Maybe even 5/5/3, using Phoenix red when OML red is not available
  • To be honest, its really hard to get jean grey (phoenix) i've already spending much money and wishing to get this 5 stars character but in results i only get 4 stars ,and every time I opened this legendary tokens the results is 4stars again, again, and again... It's makes me exhausting!!! I really speanding much money, but no 5 stars characters appears.
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    To be honest, its really hard to get jean grey (phoenix) i've already spending much money and wishing to get this 5 stars character but in results i only get 4 stars ,and every time I opened this legendary tokens the results is 4stars again, again, and again... It's makes me exhausting!!! I really speanding much money, but no 5 stars characters appears.

Oh well maybe the devs will give you some free 5 star.png after your whine post!!?