The greatest flaw of Legendary Tokens

123457»

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    All right icon_thor.pngblueflag.png@1k today, needed 5th cover, keep going to 1300 for token_legendary.png which pulls.... icon_thor.pngblueflag.png

Sure feels good to trade a few hundred imcoin.png for 1k iso8.png
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Selling 4*s for 1000 iso is an absolute joke. You can get half of that playing a PVE node once. They could kill 2 birds with one stone by selling 4*s for 13 CP. This would allow those who are getting bad luck/good rosters a boost while not affecting those with weaker rosters who usually get good pulls.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're all under the assumption that the devs actually want to make it easier to progress.

Hint: They don't.

Ever since they removed the guaranteed featured cover from ten packs it's clear they're going the gashapon route.
    Removing the set cover at 1300 and replacing it with a lottery ticket was the next logical step.

The point is to frustrate you enough that you eventually buy those missing 4* covers.

So forget about having an easier time to transition, ever.
    Maybe we'll finally have 4* covers for t50 placements in PVP, then we'll be able to make meaningful progress again.

Until then, forget about less RNG.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle wrote:
    You're all under the assumption that the devs actually want to make it easier to progress.

Ever since they removed the guaranteed featured cover from ten packs it's clear they're going the gashapon route.
    Removing the set cover at 1300 and replacing it with a lottery ticket was the next logical step.

The point is to frustrate you enough that you eventually buy those missing 4* covers.

Maybe we'll finally have 4* covers for t50 placements in PVP, then we'll be able to make meaningful progress again.

Hit the nail on the head. I've been getting tired of the game and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that aside from Mr. Fantastic (who I won't be leveling), I haven't been able to fully spec a 4* the way I wanted without using HP since XFW. I have a bunch of useless 4*s sitting with either a handful of covers of sub optimal covers and no way to improve them but luck. Luck is not fun and at 2500 HP per cover, it's just not worth it for a game that's beginning to bore me.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Out of 42 tokens, I pulled 6 5* characters (4 SS and 2 Phoenix).Out of the first 10 tokens I opened, only 1 was usable.

22 tokens were "usable":
    Antman (Purple)
    Cyclops (Red)
    Cyclops (Red)
    Fanatstic (Yellow)
    Fantastic (Yellow)
    Flaptain (Red)
    Flaptain (Yellow)
    Iceman (Green)
    Iceman (green)
    Jean Grey (Blue)
    Jean Grey (Green)
    Sam Wilson (Yellow)
    Silver Surfer (Black)
    Silver Surfer (black)
    Silver Surfer (Blue)
    Silver Surfer (blue)
    Thing (Red)
    X-23 (Red)
    X-23 (Red)
    X-Deadpool (Black)
    Phoenix (Purple)
    Phoenix (red)

Non-usable duplicates:
    Antman (Yellow)
    Carnage (Black)
    Carnage (Red)
    Elektra (black)
    HB (blue)
    HB (Red)
    HB (Red)
    Invisible Woman (yellow)
    Jean Grey (Green)
    Kingpin (purple)
    Kingpin (Yellow)
    Nick Fury (Yellow)
    Nick Fury (yellow)
    Nick Fury (Yellow)
    Thor (Blue)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    X-Deadpool (Black)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    moogles85 wrote:
    Out of 42 tokens

Cyclops (Red)
    Cyclops (Red)

Fanatstic (Yellow)
    Fantastic (Yellow)

HB (Red)
    HB (Red)

Iceman (Green)
    Iceman (green)

Jean Grey (Green)
    Jean Grey (Green)

Nick Fury (Yellow)
    Nick Fury (yellow)
    Nick Fury (Yellow)

Silver Surfer (Black)
    Silver Surfer (black)

Silver Surfer (Blue)
    Silver Surfer (blue)

X-23 (Red)
    X-23 (Red)

X-Deadpool (Black)
    X-Deadpool (Black)

Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Congrats on being the latest person to confound the odds with your excessively paired-up token pulls.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    moogles85 wrote:
    Out of 42 tokens

Cyclops (Red)
    Cyclops (Red)

Fanatstic (Yellow)
    Fantastic (Yellow)

HB (Red)
    HB (Red)

Iceman (Green)
    Iceman (green)

Jean Grey (Green)
    Jean Grey (Green)

Nick Fury (Yellow)
    Nick Fury (yellow)
    Nick Fury (Yellow)

Silver Surfer (Black)
    Silver Surfer (black)

Silver Surfer (Blue)
    Silver Surfer (blue)

X-23 (Red)
    X-23 (Red)

X-Deadpool (Black)
    X-Deadpool (Black)

Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Thor (Yellow)
    Congrats on being the latest person to confound the odds with your excessively paired-up token pulls.

What were the other 17 pulls?

Also, remember, 2 random portions to each pull, 1 is the character, 2 is the color.. each determined separately. This is why the % is listed by char, not each char listed 3 times, once for each cover... The color is 33% .. so getting the same color cover for a char is actually going to be pretty common.. the % for the individual chars is smaller.. So far your list is showing 10 different chars out of 25 tokens (beating the odds , less dupes than you would imagine), and 4 5* pulls out of those 25 as well (way above the average) ...

Would need to know the other 17 pulls for this to actually help.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    After all the discussion going on the other thread, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about Legendary Tokens and I think that I have identified the source of problems, which is what makes of randomness, an otherwise serviceable feature of the game, such a big negative deal:

Legendary Tokens lack direction and identity. Who are they meant for? If you ask any player, they'll tell you that a Legendary Token is an inferior reward to a certain 4* cover, by quite a bit. However, the devs clearly think otherwise, putting the certain 4* cover at 1k progression and the LT at 1.3k. Why is that? Because LTs are the only tokens with a chance of opening 5*s. Understandably, you don't want those covers falling on the hands of 3* and below players (however, this is subverted by the LT at the last progression point in PVE, but that's a discussion for another day).

5* are meant almost entirely for players who have reached (or are about to reach) the end of their 4* transition and need a clear path of progression laid in front of them. So LTs are for them, right? Well, no, since most of the times (more exactly, 90% of times) they'll be drawing a random 4*, which in most cases will be only 1000 Iso, as they have most of the 4*s max-covered. 1k Iso at that level is not even peanuts. Soooo, LTs are meant to exist for 3*-4* transitioners, then? The ones that more often will benefit from a random 4*? Yes!... is what I'd like to say. However, going back to my initial point, due the restriction of availability of LTs caused by the included 5*, LTs are not as abundant, nor as easy to get as they should be to support the 3*-4* transition. (In the way that Heroic, Taco and Event tokens support the 2*-3* transition.)

My suggestion? Create another tier of tokens. It was always strange that they never released a tier of tokens above the Heroic level, and when they did, they created one two steps removed above. Also, make everything vaults. Make "Legendary Tokens" the 3*-4* transition support token, opening a vault (30-50 items) filled with 3* and 4*s and maybe one 5* and some HP and Iso. Remove Taco Tokens and Event Tokens. Make the "underwater level" in DDQ give a heroic token and "that required character", a legendary token. Similarly, replace many of the top progression and placement rewards that give Heroic tokens with Legendary ones (for example, the 900 points progression reward in PVP and the placement rewards in PVE subs). Finally, create the last tier of tokens, "Epic" (or whatnot), aimed at the 4*-5* transition, opening in a really small vault with a few 4*s, a good chance of 5*s and significant amounts of HP and Iso, and reward them pretty much at every point where Legendary Tokens are right now, so those players will draw useful stuff even when they fail to draw a 5*.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    He already listed them all in the message I was quoting from.

And you're missing the point. Sure, if I tell you I got 3 of character x, there's a good chance there'll be a color dupe. But we're not starting from "Given you got 3 of character x". Out of 42 "random" pulls, the chances of getting 11 or more dupes is only 13%. So I don't know where your "less dupes than you would imagine" is coming from.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    He already listed them all in the message I was quoting from..

Wait, you expect me to READ before i post? Where do you think we are?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:

Agree with you here Bow - they are trying to prevent progression. HOWEVER, to encourage folks to buy, they need to get folks -close- to progression. Obviously no-one can buy a 5/5/3 when they are 0/1/1....events should open getting folks an easier path to 1/1/1.

But also, They should get you to 3/2/3 within a decent amount of time. When people are close to their characters but short of them...that's when they should be most tempted to buy.

Every release gets you farther and farther from your desired covers that you can get only in 1K PVP (unless you can somehow "win" the events, I've done that....once in almost two years?). Every release gets more 4*'s put into rotation of DDQ Legendary, these new ones which most won't have covered and can't win LT's there to even try to get them more covered.

Of course, every release puts more characters into the tokens - making it less and less likely to pull any specific cover you want/need.

Like you argue, and I've argued, and many, -MANY- have argued...PVP rewards need to change. T50 for 4* would be fine. Specific 4* added into progression at 1150 would be fine. I'd still love to see the PVP we have but no boosted 4* and no 5* allowed, and a 2nd PVP that has the upcoming higher boosted 4* and gives out T100 personal -and- alliance specific 4*'s.

CP and LT is not the "quicker progression" answer....and until you get that quicker progression to -specific characters- (not RNG), non-whales (casual buyers) aren't going to be buying those "last few covers" because they will be so far from getting covered.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me, token_legendary.png primarily convert a few hundred imcoin.png into 1k iso8.png
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    For me, token_legendary.png primarily convert a few hundred imcoin.png into 1k iso8.png

This has happened to me only once so far because my 4* still need a lot of coverage. Moving forward, knowing that this is going happen much more frequently is depressing and even terrifying.