The greatest flaw of Legendary Tokens

Comments

• Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Here are some more of my views on a somewhat related topic that I've been told to post here instead.

Apparently the moderators can't understand that:

-The way that 5*s are obtained vs how they should be obtained

is a different topic than

-How often people pull useful things from Legendary tokens

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=34639&p=437241#p437241

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=34640
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    Here are some more of my views on a somewhat related topic that I've been told to post here instead.

I agree. Modding has gotten too overzealous. Your thread was a perfect fit for the stats forum. Just because a post uses the word "legendary" doesn't mean it belongs here.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Why go for 1300 or PVE progression? No reason to spend anything when you aren't actually rewarded for it.

Ditto. 50% of my legendaries have been IW or XFW, mostly IW, - the two 4*'s I have, that are fully already covered. I'm on a bit of a break right now due to burnout from this, only playing DDQ's, but when I come back I'm done with 7 day PVE's, they just aren't worth the week's effort to to see Sue Storm give me another 1000 ISO. If I do PVP it will just be for the 1K reward and even that has been a chore lately.

Something is seriously wrong with those IW pull ratios. When i'm longing for a Elektra, a Devil Dinosaur, or a Starlord - ANYTHING but IW - something is very wrong. I have nightmares that for Christmas I'll open my presents and they'll all be that IW yellow cover.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    simonsez wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:

I agree. Modding has gotten too overzealous. Your thread was a perfect fit for the stats forum. Just because a post uses the word "legendary" doesn't mean it belongs here.

When I complained, I was told to read both this thread and the "5* effect on PVE/PVP" thread. I'd already read them, but I re-read just to humor the request.

One was about the the amount of useful pulls from Legendaries, one was about the effects of 5* characters on the game (focusing mostly on scaling/mmr), and my separate thread was about how the randomness in obtaining 5*s is a bad thing.

I think overzealous is putting it lightly :/ Let's just put everything in one thread and we'll call it "MPQ Stuff" (but wait, what subforum would that thread get moved to?!)
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I think it's sad that there's so much hate for the Legendary Tokens, because I'm loving them.
    Of course, that's probably because the most covers I have for a 4* is 8 and the most of a single cover is 4.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    30 legendary tokens opened so far, with 17 useful covers pulled (including 1 each for the 5*'s).

The irony of Legendaries is that the better your roster, the better your chances of obtaining them, but your chances of pulling anything useful become much smaller.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    DAC169 wrote:
    I think it's sad that there's so much hate for the Legendary Tokens, because I'm loving them.
    Of course, that's probably because the most covers I have for a 4* is 8 and the most of a single cover is 4.

That's mostly what this thread is about. They are a great tool for entry into the 4* tier, but an inadequate tool for completing a specific character. The further you get into the 4* transition the less useful they are. Money overwhelmingly seems to be the only effective tool to build/complete 4*'s right now. It's always been the case that money was more effective (which is fine and as it should be), but the gap between the f2p crowd and the money crowd is widening. And it gets worse with each new release.

Hopefully this command point thingy presents a mechanic to bring a little more control back into the player's hands over their progression in the game.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    It's always been the case that money was more effective (which is fine and as it should be), but the gap between the f2p crowd and the money crowd is widening. And it gets worse with each new release.

I should point out that there is a distinction between the whales and the super whales. The super whales tend to purchase stark salaries as if they're peanuts or bubble gum and max out all their 4s. Compare that to what I call "casual" spenders who buy an occasional 10 pk, daily token, slot, and perhaps even one or two covers directly to max cover a useful 4*. The gap between these two groups is also getting worse, particularly since the release of 5s.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am more than a bit baffled by the change of title. Not only it was not created to talk about any "pros" about LTs, it also has not come around (except by the few people blessed with great luck). There are no "pros" about LTs other than their existence is somewhat better than their non-existence (except for the people who used to mill for a specific cover at 1.3k in PVP... so yeah, even the one good thing about them has a corollary.

I have always been one for keeping discourse in the forums polite and positive, but when titles of threads start being changed to look positive when they are not, it's not only a cynical PR move, it also shows worrying levels of denial. If there are things in the game for which players are genuinely feeling disgruntled, trying to cover their disgruntlement only is going to make things worse.
  • Tatercat wrote:
    . I have nightmares that for Christmas I'll open my presents and they'll all be that IW yellow cover.

Fine, we will return the present we were going to give you. Hope you enjoy a 2*dak in its place.
  • Got a px yellow for the pull this morning. Happy with that, needed it.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    got icon_invisiblewoman.pnggreenflag.png from my EoTS token... brings her to 1/3/2 .. why is she one of the hardest to cover for me... everyone else seems to pull her like candy.
  • Der_Lex wrote:
    30 legendary tokens opened so far, with 17 useful covers pulled (including 1 each for the 5*'s).

The irony of Legendaries is that the better your roster, the better your chances of obtaining them, but your chances of pulling anything useful become much smaller.[/quote]

And sadly, that's the way it is with D3 and MPQ, unlike most other games I've played...

Essentially requiring 4*s to compete for 4*s? And even further, not actually 4*s, but a relateively infinitesimal chance of getting a usable 4*? Uhm, thanks?

DBC
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    got icon_invisiblewoman.pnggreenflag.png from my EoTS token... brings her to 1/3/2 .. why is she one of the hardest to cover for me... everyone else seems to pull her like candy.
    i'll trade either other color for a green. mine is 4/4/- and that green sure would have helped me not take so many tries against QS.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the people having the easiest time getting the tokens don't like them and complain. The people who need them most have a hard time getting them and complain. The 2* crowd grinding them out of pve events mess up their scaling and complain. Mission accomplished?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the people having the easiest time getting the tokens don't like them and complain. The people who need them most have a hard time getting them and complain. The 2* crowd grinding them out of pve events mess up their scaling and complain. Mission accomplished?

This is the internet after all, what else is there to do? (Queue Avenue Q song)
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    As expected, after having the title sanitised, the thread died a swift death, which hadn't happened while the thread had a "more ambiguous" name. However, as much as mods will like to quickly throw sand over the poop on the litter tray, that doesn't remove the problem, only temporarily hides it while further infuriating those that are already disgruntled. So, I have changed the title again to, this time, truly reflects the content.

Case in point, today I opened my 16th Legendary token, which contained... the 4th Invisible Woman I've opened from them! Let's see how bad does this look...

Tokens opened: 16
    Characters opened 5 times: X-Force (already completed a year ago.)
    Characters opened 4 times: Invisible Woman (completed half a year ago.)
    Other superfluous covers from old 4*s that I already had: 3
    Covers that were actually of use to me: 4
    Characters never opened: 15 (out of a pool of 21, coincidentally the 15 4*s that most need covers.)

and my favourite contrast to show how ridiculous this is:

Number of covers maxed to 5 (or 3, if I have the build I want): 15
    Number of covers with 1 or 0 covers: 22

My 16th legendary cover came from PVE. That's almost 4 days of grinding to receive... 1000 Iso!!...? To re-state what I've said in the past: do NOT allow luck to screw over the players that play and play for the highest possible reward. Luck has a place in the game, but that place is not the premium, most difficult to achieve reward.

So no, this thread was not made to discuss "pros" about LTs. Hell, not even to discuss "cons", because this is not a "con", it is an inherent design flaw that is causing endless frustration to some of your most enfranchised player-base, the ones that have stayed with you all the way to the 4* transition. SOLVE THIS.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

X-Force has been one of the hardest for me, relatively speaking. Until recently when I had a run of good luck, he was stuck at 1/3/5 for over a year. Now he's 1/5/5. I've lucked into about 8 yellow covers in the two years I've played the game.

Legendary tokens for me have been kinda eh. I've yet to get a red Hulkbuster or a blue Professor X. Hell, I don't think I've had anything more recent than Ant Man from a legendary.
    I was lucky enough to get an Elektra and Professor X from the 10-pack in this season, but that's about it.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I pulled a green Thing today. I've been "fortunate" with Legendary tokens pulling about 75% useful (I have 7 max cover 4* and 7 more with 8-11 covers). Still not enough to keep me engaged with the game. Seems like a lot of apathy setting in across the forums.
  • I waited until I had 37 of them before opening them a week or so ago, once the new season had started and 4clops and Rhulk went in.

Out of 37 tokens I pulled 20 "usable" covers. Some of those usable covers got applied but will eventually go away when I can respec properly. I pulled 4 yellow covers for Faptain. He had 2 or 3 yellow already. He's now 5/5/2, when I'd ideally like 3/5/5. Pulled 3 purples for Creepsicle, bringing his purple to 5. I applied these covers knowing that I don't really want them there, solely for the purpose of being able to boost their levels when their 4* DPDQ day shows up. So that I can earn another L'token.

Some were good. Pulled the last black cover for Carnage finishing him at 5/3/5, and was able to max him out. Got a few useful covers for XFool, a Rhulk cover. Overall some decent stuff. Covers that I would have played to get at 1300, or as the final progression in a PVE where I didn't really need any other rewards.

Since then I've gotten a lucky taco pull for a token, hit the 1300 in each PVP, luckily beat the DPDQ with my 120 Starlord, and hit the PVE progressions. So now I have another 10 now I think, and will be doing the same thing, waiting to open them.
    Why? Because it's horribly disappointing to play that hard for something you don't need.

I would not have played some of those PVEs (maybe at all) if the only thing I really got out of it was a useless Elektra cover (mine has been cover maxed for ages).

That's the part that needs to change. There are a few good ideas out there for how that could be fixed.

Would a custom vault help? Absolutely. If you could pick covers you wanted (say... three 5* and 20 4* covers, and then it fills in with 17 random 4/5*) to fill the vault, and then pull from there, that would be a lot more useful.

Or if the cover was colorless and you could apply it as you wished. Then those extra covers from some of my unused 17* covers would have been helpful. And on top of that, some of the ones that were "useful", would have actually been useful.

But I definitely agree that it feels bad to play EotS for a week and get a cover you don't need. So that's why I hoard them, so that if I get a good cover, I can say it was from that, and the useless one must have come from a PVP where I got to 1300 before shielding.