**** X-23 (All New Wolverine) ****

Options

Comments

• Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd go with IM40 to get you over X-23's red hump more easily (plus you'll actually have an active red power).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    can we get a spec/build poll here? thanks.
  • Jorit
    Jorit Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can we get a poll for build or what is everyone's view on the best build?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jorit wrote:
    5/X/X IMO. 5 green is a given for me as that is her most reliable power. Then it depends on whether I think I will have more use of red or purple. At the moment she's 5/5/3, but when she was boosted 5/3/5 provided more than enough healing for my purposes.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Jorit wrote:
    5/X/X IMO. 5 green is a given for me as that is her most reliable power. Then it depends on whether I think I will have more use of red or purple. At the moment she's 5/5/3, but when she was boosted 5/3/5 provided more than enough healing for my purposes.

I occasionally run her at 544 if she's not boosted.
    Enough healing and damage on possible pink match.
    I may even switch her build during clears, if she's low health got to healing mode. When she's back up at full strength then something more destructive
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Jorit wrote:

I may even switch her build during clears, if she's low health got to healing mode. When she's back up at full strength then something more destructive
    I tend to run her with X-force Deadpool and use his Purple instead, but I Think I'll try out a 5/4/4 build and see how I like it...
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I understand that her purple has a ridiculously high AP ratio but it really should be a placed tile. Far to often I find myself not even using her pink because it will never get matched.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I understand that her purple has a ridiculously high AP ratio but it really should be a placed tile. Far to often I find myself not even using her pink because it will never get matched.

I'd say 7 out of 10 times it lands where it can be matched for me.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you're just dropping it as soon as you have the AP, then that'll happen a lot - you need to throw it down when there is at least one purple match available so that you've got a decent chance of landing it somewhere matchable.

Obviously, sometimes you'll still get hosed, but I think that's fair for a tile that potentially costs 6 AP and does a ludicrous amount of damage.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I always wait but often times it gets put in a random corner never to be used
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Jorit wrote:

Depends on team for me. If she's tanking 2-3 of her colors, 5/3/5. If only one, 5/5/3. None? Use someone else.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/1/5 X-23 for almost a year. More like 10/1/7 honestly. I'm almost tempted to save up CP to get her Red so I can champ and respec her.

RNG, y u do dis?
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was in the exact same boat for that long as well, then finally magic happened. Got her red from a Heroic draw. Soon after, I got the 3rd red from an event progress (or placement). 
    Ragnarok will soon hit lvl 223 to put her at 10/3/8, well 5/3/5 +1... so I need to be ready to champ her when that happens. 
    Good Luck!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So with all the X-23 covers pouring in (Apocalypse, next PvE progression) I had to champ her so they don't all go to waste (had her sitting at 13 for a while now).

Does she really stink, or am I missing something? Her green is underwhelming, her purple is hard to trigger, and she has to tank her colors in order to heal with passive red. Is X-23 just the 4-star version of Vision and not worth my time?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    So with all the X-23 covers pouring in (Apocalypse, next PvE progression) I had to champ her so they don't all go to waste (had her sitting at 13 for a while now).

Does she really stink, or am I missing something? Her green is underwhelming, her purple is hard to trigger, and she has to tank her colors in order to heal with passive red. Is X-23 just the 4-star version of Vision and not worth my time?
    She's not bad at all, but far from the best.

Green is decent and cheap but its single target whereas most green abilities are AOE, I guess it comes down to preference. You can basically forget she even makes strike tiles if you have 9 red AP, its way too clunky and by the time you got the (16) green & (9) red, the match is halfway done.

Savage healing is pretty strong, she does have to tank her colors but it heals a lot. She`s basically immortal if you put 5 covers in red.

Purple is pretty strong, it costs a lot but can be lowered to 6 AP if you bring someone else to make strike tiles. If you trigger it yourself you still get great damage and a 500 strenght strike tile for your trouble. It still remains a trap power though so its not incredible (and traps were nerfed in general with the match-4 destroying them not triggering anymore).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:

X-23 is one of my favorites just because I’m a health pack miser and love true heal. Her active abilities aren’t stellar but I use her mostly for Savage Healing when she can tank for others.  She’s a good person to climb with. She can be a good sponge to soak up some damage while you try and match away opponent Grocket strikes or a third for a Carndusa team (though not my first choice). I think there are uses for a high quality damage sponge with a decent single target green. She’s far from bottom tier IMO and was weirdly one of the toon I was most excited to champ back when I broke into the tier. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:

X-23 is one of my favorites just because I’m a health pack miser and love true heal. Her active abilities aren’t stellar but I use her mostly for Savage Healing when she can tank for others.  She’s a good person to climb with. She can be a good sponge to soak up some damage while you try and match away opponent Grocket strikes or a third for a Carndusa team (though not my first choice). I think there are uses for a high quality damage sponge with a decent single target green. She’s far from bottom tier IMO and was weirdly one of the toon I was most excited to champ back when I broke into the tier. 
    Yes, I was also excited to champ her. She was my initial champing target before vaulting ruined my strategy.

She is a very good tank, and it should be used exclusively for that. She is increadible hard to take down when boosted. Her purple seems ok on paper, but very unreliable. Green is cheap & reliable. She is not a character to play alone (like Carol), but she can shine as a tank. 
  • Dormammu
    Options
    She doesn't seem like a good tank to me. Yeah, her healing is great and all, but the condition that she needs to make the match on her colors is very limiting. You really have to hunt to find teams to work in her in on. (I imagine this gets easier when she's boosted.)

Her green isn't that cheap for the amount of damage it does. For 8AP mine does 4.6k damage. As a comparison, Invisible Woman's green does 2x that damage for just 2 more AP. Moon Knight does 3x that damage for 12 AP (which is just one more match than X-23 needs). Turning it into Berserker Fury adds a little utility in the form of strikes, but requires 9 red AP in the bank so triggering it is going to be uncommon.

Her purple is just bad, as are most trap powers. By the time you have 12 purple you've cleaned it all off the board, which means there's probably a purple tile or two buried in a corner that the trap will fall onto and rarely get matched away. Sure - great damage, but completely unreliable. Good thing X-23 can heal all the damage she's taking while waiting for that to happen.

So, in other words X-23 is just a reusable meat bag. That doesn't really interest me, unfortunately. I have enough disposable meat bags that have more utility than her.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I recently champed her as well, and she can be amazing in certain circumstances (as others have mentioned). 
    X-23 can be incredible if she is one of your first 4* champs among your 3* roster, meaning she will usually be tanking (most of) her colors.
    You really need to use her with another strike tile producer to lower the cost of her purple. Once you get this down to cost 8 or fewer it is a really good power. That said, the recent trap tile nerf was totally uncalled for and does hurt her usability. 
    Among a general 4* roster, you will probably only use her when boosted. BUT, this happens to MOST 4*'s once you get to the point of  25+ champs in this tier (yes except Carol, Medusa, blah blah. Do you still use Peggy all the time?).  

Besides a strike producer, it's good to plan for a green accelerator as well if you can. Most of these characters also use purple though so it can be tough. 
    A surprisingly good team I found recently was X-23, Yondu, and Mockingbird. He makes very cheap strikes to reduce the cost of purple for X-23. Bobbi can be great for getting you 'free' powers when the enemy team makes a match-4+, so you may get Holding Back fired early on. If you have 9 red at that point, that power will become Berserker Fury for you.  You can then use Bobbi's red since you no longer need to hold onto it. And wow, once you have Yondu's blue running with X-23's big strikes out, it's over.

• Dormammu
    Options
    Do you still use Peggy all the time?

Yes.

But I get what you mean. I have several champed 4-stars I only use when boosted. I guess I just expected X-23 to be better than one of those.