**** X-23 (All New Wolverine) ****

Options
14567810»

Comments

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just used boosted X-23 in Surfer's req node (clear 3 & 4) and she did a very good job. In first game (clear 3) I used her with IM40 and undercover Surfer (0/2/1 or something like that). Not only that she could soke the damage of symbiotes, but by the end of the game I had the board filled with her black strike tiles.

Second game (clear 4) I switched IM40 with Khamala and again X-23 made the game (with no acceleration this time).

So again, I think X-23 is a great tank, especially when boosted. Granted, she has to tank at least 2 of her colors and she won't be good in any team. But in those where she's good, she will make the difference.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As I posted earlier, my X-23 is 5/2/5 (been 5/1/5 for practically a year) and now I finally have a chance to champ her. I love the character and while her abilities may be a bit quirky, she's far from bad. Mist will view 5/3/5 as her best build, but I'm gunning for 5/5/3. I just need to hit 23500 in this event, pony up ~200k and I'll be good. Can't wait!
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anon said:
    As I posted earlier, my X-23 is 5/2/5 (been 5/1/5 for practically a year) and now I finally have a chance to champ her. I love the character and while her abilities may be a bit quirky, she's far from bad. Mist will view 5/3/5 as her best build, but I'm gunning for 5/5/3. I just need to hit 23500 in this event, pony up ~200k and I'll be good. Can't wait!
    I think 5-5-3 is her best build. Her purple is very unreliable, while the heal can come 2-3 times per turn sometimes by matching smart. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Anon said:
    5/3/5 until you run low on health, then 5/5/3 for one fight to let her heal up.

The traps are crazy good, use them.

Unless there's no tile movers, of course.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle said:

Also less than stellar if the AI has reliable ways to make Purple special tiles.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, X-23 is the featured boosted 4-star for the current PvE event and she definitely fits into the category of 'use when boosted' - which so many 4-stars fall into. That's not a bad thing; with almost 50 4-stars they can't all be first team all-stars. But it also doesn't elevate her from the lower half of the 4-star tier, in my opinion. She's definitely better than characters like Winter Soldier, who I struggle to use even when boosted, but still below that second tier of good 4-stars like Hulkbuster and Maxpun.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    So, X-23 is the featured boosted 4-star for the current PvE event and she definitely fits into the category of 'use when boosted' - which so many 4-stars fall into. That's not a bad thing; with almost 50 4-stars they can't all be first team all-stars. But it also doesn't elevate her from the lower half of the 4-star tier, in my opinion. She's definitely better than characters like Winter Soldier, who I struggle to use even when boosted, but still below that second tier of good 4-stars like Hulkbuster and Maxpun.
    Ooooh don't underestimate Winter Soldier.
    He needs a lot of champ levels to shine but is WAY better than you think.
    He surprised me last time he was boosted, even at a humble 315 he was very very good.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Ooooh don't underestimate Winter Soldier.
    You're right - he can do a fair bit of damage, even unboosted. He can also be frustratingly impotent depending on luck and trap tile placement. I don't like unreliable characters because for every time they shine there's going to be a match where they burn you. X-23 is a bit like that. You can rely on her green but not her purple.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bowgentle said:
    Anon said:

Agree. Traps are crazy, especially when boosted. All traps took a bit of a nerf recently, and that has probably shifted X-23 down a little bit in the 4* standing.

Right now, I'd say her worst crime is having kind of powers that are very reactionary. Green wants you to chase a second colour before it becomes really useful, healing is based off matching her own icon (so it also limits team composition), and her trap is powerful enough, but the recent nerf to traps has taken a bit of the sting out of it. She doesn't have anything that hooks into the current meta and is mostly lacking anything that builds synergy with other characters. There's the cost reduction on Purple based on existing friendly Strikes, but lemme tell you that every character synergises with "friendly strike tiles on the board". The countdown meta is still fairly prominent right now - if there was a character introduced that interacted with friendly trap tiles (either on destruction or resolution, etc.) then she might regain some favour.

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She really needs to create those strikes on the first cast of green. OR, create a strike each round you have 9+ red AP. That way, once you qualify the 9 red, you can wait a round or two for strikes to add up and reduce the cost of her unreliable purple. Then, cast green whenever it makes sense, repeatedly.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    *Sigh*

Every time X-23 is boosted I am reminded about how good she almost is. If her purple was simply straight damage, or even damage on a countdown, she'd be one of my favorite 4-stars. Anything but the horribly expensive trap tile (12AP!) that she currently has. I mean, after you finally manage to gather that much purple AP there isn't a shred of purple left on the board except some unmatchable tile buried in the corner, making her purple one of the most useless powers in the game.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Exactly. You just have to play her with a strike tile maker, or a TU that accomplishes it for you. Which should be a glaring issue for the dev's to notice and rework her. 
    One of her abilities or color-matches should create strikes (even small ones i.e. create small strike on each red match). 
    She only creates strikes on the 2nd cast of green? Really? Or if you match the trap at lower damage. Not logical.

Partners or TU's I like to use with her: Carol black, gr4cket, Nova, Ant-Man yellow, and I actually love Yondu black for a cheap and functional option. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In the current meta her purple is not too bad what really killed her is the match-4 nurf to traps, she is still a great tank.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah, right now she isn't doing much other than being a great tank when I have to face Gamora/Medusa/RocketGroot team. I miss using her purple. The only thing they need to do to fix it is to just changing from "on matched"  to "on destroyed". It shouldn't be that difficult :( 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    *Sigh*

Every time X-23 is boosted I am reminded about how good she almost is. If her purple was simply straight damage, or even damage on a countdown, she'd be one of my favorite 4-stars. Anything but the horribly expensive trap tile (12AP!) that she currently has. I mean, after you finally manage to gather that much purple AP there isn't a shred of purple left on the board except some unmatchable tile buried in the corner, making her purple one of the most useless powers in the game.
    In the "Character Rebalance" thread, my initial suggestion was that the purple do damage right away and not be a trap.  TPF Alexis also suggested that green turn to Berzerker Rage when you hit 9 red AP without having to fire the green first, which I also liked a lot.

But she was doing major tanking on the Ultron/Doc Ock/Carnage node for me.  My America is only LVL 111, so those attack tiles would have eaten her alive.  X-23 champed, boosted, and 5/5/3 was healing up to nearly full health every time I made a match for her, no matter how many enemy tiles were on the board.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Yeah, she's almost a good tank, too. If you can fit her into a team where she can carry a couple of her colors, which really limits team composition. (It's the same reason Vision gets ignored.) I wanted to use X-23 with my Chavez as well, but my Chavez is champed and X-23 would only tank purple because of it.

Rogue is really the 1st effective tank in this game, despite several tries before her (X-23, Vision, Colossus...)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Rogue is really the 1st effective tank in this game, despite several tries before her (X-23, Vision, Colossus...)
    Isn't Luke Cage (both versions) a fairly effective tank?
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Yes, how could I forget Luke???   :#
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Vulture yet-- obviously lots of characters like being fed by Vulture, that's not that noteworthy. But he really helps not just her green switching to Berserker Fury, but also her tanking-- not only will he normally not take green from her to begin with, but he usually spends most of the match being away flying anyway, so even if you have a much higher level Vulture who would take green away, it's no issue.

I like 4* Black Panther as a third, since his yellow is cheap (good, since you aren't prioritising his colours), it helps make strike tiles, his red costs 10 AP so you can fire it nicely after triggering Laura's green and he takes no colours from her. He's not a fast strike tile generator though, so there's always the option of trading some colour overlap for faster strike tiles and going with someone like Nova. I enjoy Panther allowing her to tank all the things though.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5* X-23 at lv450:
    Green at 3 covers: 12820 damage, plus 2 x 668 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury
    Green at 4 covers: 14956 damage, plus 2 x 785 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury
    Green at 5 covers: 19229 damage, plus 2 x 1010 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury

Red at 3 covers: Heals 4273 health
    Red at 4 covers: Heals 4985 health
    Red at 5 covers: Heals 6410 health

Purple at 3 covers: 32050 damage OR 21366 damage + strength 1261 Strike tile
    Purple at 4 covers: 37391 damage OR 24927 damage + strength 1482 Strike tile
    Purple at 5 covers: 48074 damage OR 32049 damage + strength 1902 Strike tile

5* X-23 at lv570:
    Green at 3 covers: 32324 damage, plus 2 x 1683 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury
    Green at 4 covers: 37712 damage, plus 2 x 1980 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury
    Green at 5 covers: 48487 damage, plus 2 x 2545 Strike tiles if Berserker Fury

Red at 3 covers: Heals 10775 health
    Red at 4 covers: Heals 12571 health
    Red at 5 covers: Heals 16162 health

Purple at 3 covers: 80813 damage OR 53875 damage + strength 3179 Strike tile
    Purple at 4 covers: 94282 damage OR 62854 damage + strength 3735 Strike tile
    Purple at 5 covers: 121219 damage OR 80813 damage + strength 4795 Strike tile