4* DDQ, a debate

Relatively simple idea:

Make the health bar for the 4* node in Deadpool Daily persistent between matches so players with lower-covered 4*'s can whittle it down slowly over a number of matches and still have a decent shot at beating it by playing it multiple times. Moderately to fully covered heroes would still have a much easier time with it and require fewer matches to win, but this would make it more accessible and inclusive like the other DPD nodes are.

[EDIT] Additionally, they should increase the frequency to once every 2 days instead of every 5 days.

The economic case for this:
As a player, I only came back because 3* DPD allowed me to start filling out my 3* roster without a huge time commitment. I actually dropped a fair chunk of cash on roster slots when I came back (and again around Ultron). I still like to play PvE's and PvP's sometimes when I have time, and I enjoy special events with upped rewards, but I can't do that on a regular basis.

I have put money into this game (mostly for roster slots, but also a bunch of covers to transition to 3* back before 4*'s were a thing, though that just pushed me into death brackets at the time). To have any chance at obtaining rewards in PvE you need at least 1 of all the featured characters. I'm far more likely to shell out for a cover if it's the last one I need to complete a hero vs. if I'm expected to drop $100 covering a single 4. I'm also plain not willing to shell out anything for covers or roster slots if I don't feel there's an obtainable progression path. I enjoy this game, but I'm not interested in putting myself under the same amount of stress that I had to go through for the OLD 2-3* transition (they've improved this part of the game substantially), which is what the 3-4* transition now is. That's where I'm at right now.

2nd Mod Note: changing title, since this has become a debate on the 4* DDQ node, keep it civil please

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great idea. I would be happy if they have 3 "lives" to try to win
  • If they do this, I also vote for "Make the enemy like level 500 too"

If the way to win is by slowly whittling away the enemy's health, I want it to be a huge grind.

It needs to be hard enough that a good amount of players don't finish it and all.

...that'd probably be way more frustrating for more people then the current format, though, even if more people would win.
  • colwag wrote:
    If they do this, I also vote for "Make the enemy like level 500 too"

If the way to win is by slowly whittling away the enemy's health, I want it to be a huge grind.

It needs to be hard enough that a good amount of players don't finish it and all.

...that'd probably be way more frustrating for more people then the current format, though, even if more people would win.

...Or they could just have one node every 5 days that yields a legendary token without insane amounts of grind. Whittling down an overscaled opponent with a low covered 4* already is an insane grind, period. Beating with a lvl 70 already would take a huge amount of grinding, whereas a max covered 4* usually is < 5 tries. So scaling it up to make it just as annoying would defeat the purpose of trying to tweak it so it's actually an enjoyable experience that aids in the 3-4* transition.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why does everyone think they are entitled to these?
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I'm one of the weird ones, I know. I actually like the fights. If the legendary tokens didn't have a chance to give a 5*, the fight probably wouldn't be that difficult.

I think what they actually need is a node, every 5 days, that gives a guaranteed featured 4* cover. It should be challenging mostly to people in 3*, but 2* may be able to pull it off.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let people form a team of only three stars to aid the four star and level up the three star a bit harder to compensate.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Something needs to be done. I have most 3* fully covered (Luke, IF, Vision, Bullseye the least covered. A few that I need 1-2 covers). Enough that almost all 3* I draw is useless to me.

The ways I (theoretically) can get more 4* cover is:

PVP - no way I can make 1k points / event. The season legendary is similary out of reach.

PVE - The top progression reward I can make, but with work and family it is a pretty big time investment, I have to do one clear in the evening (the 6PM works best for me), one in the morning before work and one after work (before 6PM, have to hurry to make that). The only clear that is not stressful is the one in the evening, that means I probably will burn out if I try to get that legendary most of the times.

DDQ4* - Beat three of them. Probably wont make any more with the possilbe exception of Elektra. If you dont have a well covered character then it is too much of a game of luck.

Progress for me is very slow now compared to when DDQ3* came. I can make PVE legendary but I have to spend more than I really want of my free time on this game.

I don't understand why DDQ4* wasn't made more like DDQ3*, you need to have at least one cover but then you can use your 3*s to beat the node.

At least then I would have felt that I made some progress.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    herm1978 wrote:

PVP - no way I can make 1k points / event. The season legendary is similary out of reach.

Serious, friendly question (adding this because it could be interpreted as snark): what is keeping you from getting that 1k per pvp? Because with weekly buffs and a solid 3* roster this is definitely achievable, even ifyou might need a 3-hour shield to get there.

I don't think 4* DDQ will be changed much, because it does serve more or less the same purpose as 3* DDQ: to help people with 8-10+ covers in a certain character get those final covers (although with random pulls it does a much crummier job at that than 3* DDQ). It's never going to be a tool for starting 3-4* transitioners to build their 4* roster.

That being said, the game really does need a tool for beginning 3-4* transitioners to build their 4* roster. There are simply too many 4*s out there now for the 1000 prog reward and the random egendary tokens to be sufficient. The devs have hinted at this in the past, and I think the time has come for it to be implemented.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    The problem here is that the matches then become a basically guaranteed win if you have just 1-2 covers, especially with +damage boosts.

It isn't meant to be that way, victory is supposed to be very difficult unless you have invested in the chosen character.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    colwag wrote:
    If they do this, I also vote for "Make the enemy like level 500 too"

Please give colwag what he wished for. A huge grind and level 500 opponents. The rest of us are fine as is icon_e_wink.gif
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Der_Lex wrote:
    I don't think 4* DDQ will be changed much, because it does serve more or less the same purpose as 3* DDQ: to help people with 8-10+ covers in a certain character get those final covers (although with random pulls it does a much crummier job at that than 3* DDQ). It's never going to be a tool for starting 3-4* transitioners to build their 4* roster.

It's doesn't serve the same purpose as 3* DDQ at all.

"to help people with 8-10+ covers" : 3* DDQ helps as soon as you have your first cover, you can even win the fight with 2*

"It's never going to be a tool for starting 3-4* transitioners" : which 3* DDQ is.

That' s the basic disconnect between 3* DDQ and it's 4* node.
  • herm1978
    herm1978 Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Der_Lex wrote:
    herm1978 wrote:

Serious, friendly question (adding this because it could be interpreted as snark): what is keeping you from getting that 1k per pvp? Because with weekly buffs and a solid 3* roster this is definitely achievable, even ifyou might need a 3-hour shield to get there.

That being said, the game really does need a tool for beginning 3-4* transitioners to build their 4* roster. There are simply too many 4*s out there now for the 1000 prog reward and the random egendary tokens to be sufficient. The devs have hinted at this in the past, and I think the time has come for it to be implemented.

Well, I have only Cyclops, Patch and Daken at 166 so far. The rest of my mostly covered 3* is scattered between 125 and about 150 (sadly IF and Luke Cage is among the four 3* that doesnt have enough covers for even level 120). I have focused on getting a versatile roster because I find it is fun to play with different setups. If all it took was the HP for a 3 hour shield to get to 1000 then I'd be all over it but I guess I would have to use health packs and boosts for most of the matches above 500 points (I mostly get maxed 3* teams and worse after the seed teams). And that is without thinking about the time it would take.

I'm sure many competetive players that like PVP (I really don't enjoy that as much as PVE) would easily break 1k points with my roster, but I can't. Thats why I was hoping for DDQ4* to be a little more like DDQ3*.

DDQ3* lets you build your 3* roster as long as you have gotten one cover of the 3*s, because you only really need maxed 2*s to beat the node if you can unlock it. And even if you need more than maxed 2*s you only need to level three 3* and you can use them over and over again.

DDQ4* gives 4*s if you already have pretty well covered 4*s. I mean, against Cyclops even my XF at 3/3/3 (and max level for the covers) only managed to win with lots of luck and boosts. And, just as against Galactus, the fun was not to be seen. Making an event that locks the opponent and limits you to one specific character is just not well designed. The managed to take out a lot of what makes this game interesting (trying different combination of characters together).
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    4* DPD isn't broken. So how would it need a fix?
  • Why does everyone think they are entitled to these?

Yeah, I know. Why does everyone feel entitled to be able to progress at all in a video game. We should make all aspects of our lives inequality simulators to reflect the harsh nature of life instead of allowing people a reprieve when they want to play a fun match-3 for recreation.
    Der_Lex wrote:
    ... will be changed much, because it does serve more or less the same purpose as 3* DDQ: to help people with 8-10+ covers in a certain character get those final covers (although with random pulls it does a much crummier job at that than 3* DDQ). It's never going to be a tool for starting 3-4* transitioners to build their 4* roster.

Well DPD was introduced as a tool for 3* players with at least a single cover of a hero to earn more covers, so it's not unreasonable that people would expect the 4* DPD to serve the same purpose. The fact is that presently there's no other method besides grinding like all hell in PvE for a single legendary progression cover. PvP may be possible with shields, but this assumes you enjoy PvP / grinding for hours and hours, only to be beaten back down all the time.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    brisashi wrote:
    The problem here is that the matches then become a basically guaranteed win if you have just 1-2 covers, especially with +damage boosts.

It isn't meant to be that way, victory is supposed to be very difficult unless you have invested in the chosen character.

And why must it be that way? It is an anathema to why DDQ existed in the first place. It was too help people transition, not to further reward people who had already transitioned.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who often enjoys taking on the challenge of going undercover I don't see it as a big issue. The point of the 4*DDQ is that you need a character who covered well enough and levelled enough to do it. Yes that makes it fairly inaccessible for early 4* transitioners but it's supposed to be that way. The fights are not unfair in any way at all, I've attempted every single one with no more than 2 covers and felt that with a couple more covers I would've done them no sweat so I don't think this needs to be changed at all.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think OP and like minded posters are missing the point.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png DDQ is NOT for you. It's for players with established, but still lacking, 4* rosters to help them fill out their 4* characters and progress to 5*.

I'd hate to see how much whining you would come up with if you actually had to progress at the rate that the veteran players have. When I made the transition to star.pngstar.pngstar.png there was so many fewer ways to do so. Be thankful for what you have.
  • The current 4* DDQ node is awesome, and should not be changed.

Here is what I think they could do to make it more like what they said it was intended to be.....

Every 5 days add a "Sweet/Savory Triumph" node that only unlocks after you earn 75,000 points in that DDQ (beat all 5 nodes all 5 days). This node requires a 4* character, allows any other characters to be used as well (or maybe other 3* characters only?), and has a cover from the required 4* character as a reward. This node is considerably more challenging than The Big Enchilada. Beating this node unlocks the final Crash of Titans node (or maybe they are separate, whatever).
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why does everyone think they are entitled to these?
    Why do the top tier of players think that having one Legendary token made available every five days to us mere mortals absent the ludicrous grind that is the PvE Legendary token is 'entitlement'? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    herm1978 wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    herm1978 wrote:

Well, I have only Cyclops, Patch and Daken at 166 so far. The rest of my mostly covered 3* is scattered between 125 and about 150 (sadly IF and Luke Cage is among the four 3* that doesnt have enough covers for even level 120). I have focused on getting a versatile roster because I find it is fun to play with different setups. If all it took was the HP for a 3 hour shield to get to 1000 then I'd be all over it but I guess I would have to use health packs and boosts for most of the matches above 500 points (I mostly get maxed 3* teams and worse after the seed teams). And that is without thinking about the time it would take.
    Keep slugging it out. Once you get a few more maxed 3* (and can play around with the weekly boosted characters!) 1000 points should be within reach. Heck, it doesn't even take that long to reach it any more when 60+ point matches are available...