Victory Bonus - Upcoming Feature Discussion

Options

Comments

• greggray24 wrote:
    So what happens if you don't like your matchups but you are too cheap to spend 10iso and put in some low level guys and abort the game? Suspect that would reset your bonus counter. I guess if you are willing to work that hard to avoid spending 10iso then more power to you...
    You don't get the bonus if you lose but yes, sounds like a match completed either way resets it back to max, so "grind up the Yelena clone army for sale overseas labeled 'beef'" may have just migrated from TaT to be the new cheapskate skip button. Obviously applies only during ISO grinding sessions, not rating pushes.
  • mouser wrote:
    Question: If I pay to skip an opponent will they still end up back in my queue a few skips later?

One thing that concerns me is I frequently find my battle options are rotating among a small pool of 4-8 other players as available opponents. If players are going to have to pay to skip an opponent it would make sense that they stay skipped, at least until you've battled someone else.

There's no note about the MMR system changing, so yeah probably will be back in your pool. Your risk for skipping.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Veracity wrote:
    You don't get the bonus if you lose but yes, sounds like a match completed either way resets it back to max, so "grind up the Yelena clone army for sale overseas labeled 'beef'" may have just migrated from TaT to be the new cheapskate skip button. Obviously applies only during ISO grinding sessions, not rating pushes.
    An abort won't reset the bonus so you'd have to actually finish the match and as a result would have Yelena and Bag-Man sitting in your front lines for everyone else to beat on till you finished another match with your A Team. That's a pretty risky proposition...
  • DecoyDuck
    Options
    Bugpop wrote:
    If you want to maximize ISO gain, don't skip. Rank points, skip.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't skip because the opponents are difficult, but because they are worth little points (and retaliation exposure).
  • Do retaliations count towards the skip cost? If it does, does it mean when I wake up in the morning and have been attacked by 5+ people that are either too high level or worthless in points I'll end up paying ISO every time? On top of the lost 150 rank points?
  • IceIX wrote:
    Veracity wrote:
    An abort won't reset the bonus so you'd have to actually finish the match and as a result would have Yelena and Bag-Man sitting in your front lines for everyone else to beat on till you finished another match with your A Team. That's a pretty risky proposition...

But what about the problem he is talking about. The matchmaking system does in fact send you the same pool of 4-5 players all the time. Maybe after cycling these players 3-4 times you might get a new player thrown in.

If you are in this situation do you just quit the tournament?
  • IceIX wrote:
    Ah, that'll do it. It's not something you'd be doing to begin with if you were worried about maintaining rating at the time, but actually having to go through the motions of getting throwaway characters defeated is more than anyone sane is going to bother with over 10 ISO.
  • The only difference between this and the previous skip tax is that you earn an average of 135 without skipping instead of 127.5. I guess that's better but you're still hugekittyed if you get a series of 3 point opponents.
  • I skip a ton, but I still like because it is incentive rather than punishment. And if it encourages people to be riskier with their attempts, we can gain rank points by beating their team when they fail against us.

The one remaining problem, however, is when you get in a run of enemies where the whole team is 100+ characters, and the match is still only worth like 16 points. It seems there should also be an amount of ranking based on enemy level.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mouser wrote:
    Question: If I pay to skip an opponent will they still end up back in my queue a few skips later?

One thing that concerns me is I frequently find my battle options are rotating among a small pool of 4-8 other players as available opponents. If players are going to have to pay to skip an opponent it would make sense that they stay skipped, at least until you've battled someone else.
    Yeah, there was no mention of fixing MMR, just the theory that people will lose more to lower their MMR.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the case of Blind Justice I was repetitively matched with opponents with level 15 DD and the other two maxed out ** characters like OBW, C Storm, Thor, Wolverine etc. I had no choice but to keep on skipping as my C Storm is the only high level I have, at level 70. Please fix MMR. Doesn't feel great that I keep on losing even with non-maxed opponents and my MMR doesn't go down to more reasonable opponents. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Since when does skipping cost? I know the game is free to play, but seriously. They keep making things harder and harder that eventually you have to pay to play at all really....
  • Looks like you boys finally hired some PR.

Victory Bonus is a lot more palatable than Skip Tax.

Well Played...
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TLDR,
    What did Mechgoki complain about? I did not read the posts but he had to complain about something.

+1
  • The only concern I have is that I don't skip based on their composition/levels, I skip because I get strings of opponents worth <15 points. The risk of attacking these opponents and being retalliated against in a pvp setting is far greater than 30 bonus iso. I realize that this could be the same for everyone grinding the ladders, but this puts another element of randomness into the ladder climb.

I think the only thing that would completely satisfy me, though, is some way to "fix" the matchmaking algorithm with similarly rated players?

I don't know how difficult this is, and I haven't researched how matchmaking particularly works with this game, but I'm hoping there was some better way to balance a players match-making rating to their current rating in the tournament pools.

Either way, a change in the better direction for sure.
  • The only concern I have is that I don't skip based on their composition/levels, I skip because I get strings of opponents worth <15 points. The risk of attacking these opponents and being retalliated against in a pvp setting is far greater than 30 bonus iso. I realize that this could be the same for everyone grinding the ladders, but this puts another element of randomness into the ladder climb.
    That's kind of the point I think. Demiurge are saying 'here is a way to grind some extra ISO, but there are risks. If you want to waylay those risks for something else, that's OK too.'
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    abuelo wrote:
    The only concern I have is that I don't skip based on their composition/levels, I skip because I get strings of opponents worth <15 points. The risk of attacking these opponents and being retalliated against in a pvp setting is far greater than 30 bonus iso. I realize that this could be the same for everyone grinding the ladders, but this puts another element of randomness into the ladder climb.
    That's kind of the point I think. Demiurge are saying 'here is a way to grind some extra ISO, but there are risks. If you want to waylay those risks for something else, that's OK too.'

More of a trade off: ISO vs covers

You'll pay the same sort of penalty for skipping in PVP that boosters pay in PvE.
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for the communication AND explanation of the intent of the patch... All good here Sir. Thanks to you and the team.
  • Sounds good.

I'm a bit confused on the tax aspect. After the 3rd skip, do you lose 10 ISO for everytime you press skip, or is it just your next singular match ISO reward gets reduced by 10?
  • I don't know if it's been asked, but will we still get the new ISO rewards? (200, 140, 100, 70)