Victory Bonus - Upcoming Feature Discussion

Options

Comments

• Not to be a debbie downer (But I'm going to be), but this sounds like it is in lieu of having the increased ISO rewards for winning a match. If I remember correctly, the ISO rewards were gonna be 70/100/140/200 which was a 30 iso increase in average per match. Oh hey, the exact amount that we get now for not skipping.

Basically this is the identical system we were going to have before, but it looks better because it looks like the community suggested it. Honestly that's a great move by the developers, I applaud you all icon_e_smile.gif
  • Great idea and great timing to ease the masses. When will this take affect, today (07-Feb)? Would be great if it was a cumulative effect, so if you play 10 matches without a skip the bonus increases by 5 iso (or something along those lines). Just a suggestion, like the change.
  • Thanks devs!
  • I really think they need to guarantee that we get an opponent worth more than 25 points to go along with this - I skip sometimes to avoid a tough team, mainly early on in a tournament, but more often to avoid a retaliation that will result in a points loss. This doesn't really address that, and I suspect I'll skip just as often as I do now.
  • great news
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Heavyd wrote:
    Great idea and great timing to ease the masses. When will this take affect, today (07-Feb)? Would be great if it was a cumulative effect, so if you play 10 matches without a skip the bonus increases by 5 iso (or something along those lines). Just a suggestion, like the change.
    It's a change for R48, it requires client side code to function. So once all that's ready and in place, it'll be out for next main update.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The intended effects of this change:
    - Being attacked multiple times by other Agents will decrease as Agents are incentivized to fight who they're matched against instead of picking someone "below" them, which multiple attack recipients often are.

A attacks C instead of B, but sum is still the same icon_e_smile.gif The most-lowest will have a bit less attacks with this logic.
    What would decrease incoming attacks, is enabling us to see shielded people with a greater chance.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Heavyd wrote:
    Great idea and great timing to ease the masses. When will this take affect, today (07-Feb)? Would be great if it was a cumulative effect, so if you play 10 matches without a skip the bonus increases by 5 iso (or something along those lines). Just a suggestion, like the change.
    It's a change for R48, it requires client side code to function. So once all that's ready and in place, it'll be out for next main update.

The only problem I can see is people exploiting it like some do with the time clock.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I applaud this, I also suggested this somewhere in one of those threads.

Question.

You can skip down to the -10 on one node. Then can you go to a different node then do the same, or does it carry to the others as well? Does it reset on all nodes after the match?

Just looking for what to expect.

Does it persist until the end of a tourney or reset after a while. If you have no ISO I assume you do not go into the negatives.
  • turul wrote:
    Its still better to skip guys, if you can complete the new one in a shorter time icon_e_smile.gif

If you want to maximize ISO gain, don't skip. Rank points, skip.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Does skipping a retaliation count as a skip
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    cjshrader wrote:
    Not to be a debbie downer (But I'm going to be), but this sounds like it is in lieu of having the increased ISO rewards for winning a match. If I remember correctly, the ISO rewards were gonna be 70/100/140/200 which was a 30 iso increase in average per match. Oh hey, the exact amount that we get now for not skipping.

Basically this is the identical system we were going to have before, but it looks better because it looks like the community suggested it. Honestly that's a great move by the developers, I applaud you all icon_e_smile.gif

Assuming no skipping, this is actually better -

Current average iso = (70+140)/2 = 105
    Adjusted rewards average iso = (70+100+140+200)/4 = 127.5
    New iso rewards w/out skipping = (100+170)/2 = 135

Yay devs!
  • Now, THIS is good news. After the events of the past couple weeks, it's cheering to find that at least some of our concerns have registered.
  • Phantron wrote:
    This is basically like WoW having rest XP going from 100% XP and 50% penalty outside, to rest XP worth 200% XP and 100% normal and then double the XP needed period, but if people are happy, who am I to complain?
    They're trying to nudge player behavior where they want it, but "here's some free stuff if you do that" rather than "stop playing it wrong, I'm taking your stuff" makes most people a lot happier, even if it's functionally identical to increasing the base reward and taking some of it back for the undesired action. It might seem daft if you're an ultra-rational sort, but I'm sure there's any number of essays you could wade through on gamasutra showing it works, possibly with graphs. Just disabling skips would be a solution, but I'm sure it'd cause a lot more annoyance, especially from people being required to take matches they don't think they can win.

Immediate thought, especially with the instant reset, is that a more forceful nudge might be in order, as I'd guess a lot of people will still skip anything low value as they don't see what's in it for them, but we'll see. Overall reaction definitely positive, though. I've given up doing anything but taking whatever matches it sticks in front of me unless I'm about to break/lose a shield, so there is quite some self-interest there.

Does it include retaliations, or is skipping those free?
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Bugpop wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Its still better to skip guys, if you can complete the new one in a shorter time icon_e_smile.gif

Doing 3 easy targets in 10 mins: 3*105 (AVG) + some no-skip bonus probably = 315+
    Doing non-skipped 2 medium targets in 10 mins: 210+60=265

edit: a bit bad math icon_e_smile.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    I applaud this, I also suggested this somewhere in one of those threads.

Question.

You can skip down to the -10 on one node. Then can you go to a different node then do the same, or does it carry to the others as well? Does it reset on all nodes after the match?

Just looking for what to expect.

Does it persist until the end of a tourney or reset after a while. If you have no ISO I assume you do not go into the negatives.
    That's two questions really, but one didn't have a question mark. icon_e_smile.gif In any case, the bonus is per event, not per node. Skipping one node in an event lowers the bonus overall until a battle is completed. It persists until a battle is completed at which time it pops back up to 30 again. At no Iso, you just couldn't skip at a -10 cost.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    turul wrote:
    Bugpop wrote:
    turul wrote:

Doing 3 easy targets in 10 mins: 3*105 (AVG) + some no-skip bonus probably = 415+
    Doing non-skipped 2 medium targets in 10 mins: 210+60=265

You are assuming some no skip probability as in easy targets but are assuming medium targets and no chance at easy in your second secenario. Also finding 3 easy targets takes time and 3 wins increases your MMR more than 2 which means harder to find easy targets.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    I have to agree this actually sounds like a fair idea :3

I really hope itll work as well as everyone imagines ^^
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cjshrader wrote:
    Not to be a debbie downer (But I'm going to be), but this sounds like it is in lieu of having the increased ISO rewards for winning a match. If I remember correctly, the ISO rewards were gonna be 70/100/140/200 which was a 30 iso increase in average per match. Oh hey, the exact amount that we get now for not skipping.

Its better because it makes the player feel rewarded specifically for not skipping. The old system was "were going to penalize you for skipping, but well increase iso across the board to compensate, whereas the new system is "here is a 30 iso bonus specifically for not skipping". Functionally theyre identical, but they have different feels for the player, and this one probably feels a lot better for most people.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm concerned with how this will impact defense. It is better than always charging since you can still be intimidating enough that a player will sacrifice earning bonus iso but will be interesting to see how it works out. Perhaps it will cause more people to lose to a team with strong defense but i suspect folks that are not used to getting attacked are going to start getting hit a lot more. It is also extra incentive to shield but I've been stubborn so far and have refused to pay HP to remove myself from the game. Hate to see spending HP in the tournaments become required to have a chance to win.

Also, agree with cjshrader that it is a much better presentation of the same plan. Rather than raise rewards and punish skips we see same rewards with a bonus reduced. Same thing much better spin. Brilliant!