Anniversary tokens have GREATLY REDUCED 4* odds - not cool!

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    It's still possible there are Anniversary lightning rounds on Tuesday. We don't know yet because...it's not Tuesday.

Also, I find it ironic that by giving out more tokens with lesser odds, they essentially made it harder for whales to buy a huge advantage. So of course the forum is complaining that they can't pay-to-win.

I don't necessarily think it's a good strategy for them, because they probably would have made more money having it like last year's event, but I still think it's funny.

They confirmed no lightning rounds. I don't feel like digging it up, but you can check IceIX's posts if you want.

Ah, yeah, then the number of tokens is significantly reduced.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can I send these guys my intro to statistics textbook to show them why their excuse I'd a complete load of horse ****?
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    It's still possible there are Anniversary lightning rounds on Tuesday. We don't know yet because...it's not Tuesday.

Also, I find it ironic that by giving out more tokens with lesser odds, they essentially made it harder for whales to buy a huge advantage. So of course the forum is complaining that they can't pay-to-win.

I don't necessarily think it's a good strategy for them, because they probably would have made more money having it like last year's event, but I still think it's funny.

Say there is a lightning round, 2 extra tokens for a few pvps does not even compare to being able to get 1-3 every two hours. It's a drop in the bucket.

I feel bad for the new players, they won't know what it's like to farm double ISO from lightning rounds while getting anniversary tokens with great odds. You could farm all day if you wanted and make huge gains. Now that thar was an anniversary bash! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    I got an answer on why the tokens are different this year over on Reddit. They decreased the odds because they are giving a lot more out in PVP rewards. So while buying one is not as smart of a move as last year, they are giving more away for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/3o0eez/anniversary_tokens_are_a_lot_worse_this_year_here/cvsy3g3

Which, again, would have made more sense if the tokens were vault style. As it stands, the low chance of pulling a 4* (2.5% wasn't it?) doesn't get any better just because we're getting more opportunities to roll the dice.

Trying to roll ten 6s in a row is a lot harder than trying to roll five.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    i could get behind the "quantity over quality" if they went with a vault.

but odds don't increase with quantity. **** odds are **** odds.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    They could of just gave us standard tokens! Atleast take the 2*'s out.
  • Jam_Adams wrote:
    i could get behind the "quantity over quality" if they went with a vault.

but odds don't increase with quantity. **** odds are **** odds.

It's not even like we are getting quantity. We had 20 man lightning rounds where it was easy for even two to three star transitioners to get 8+ tokens a day without too much effort.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    their words, not mine
  • TCell
    TCell Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Totally anecdotal, but I splurged on a Stark and before looking at the odds, I bought an anniversary 40-pack. I got a Surfer blue from the Legendary, Dino red, PX blue, KP purple and 600HP. That seems worth it for the Surfer, but if I had gotten a 4* I didn't need from the Legendary instead, I'm not so sure. I was pretty surprised I only got one Dino. Interestingly, I got the 600HP first, the legendary token second and then the rest of the covers.
  • TCell
    TCell Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    In terms of value:

Big HP (2900 x .002) +
    Small HP (600 x .003) +
    Dino (2500 x .03) +
    Others (2500 x .016)
    = 122.6 HP

So, really the daily deal is worth the gamble at 50HP, but non-discounted purchases are not.

(Note: The value you place on Dino and/or random 4* may not be = to 2500, but I also haven't assigned the big ISO rewards value either.)
  • So far, all **** for me. I was really looking forward to a chance at Dino covers, and then this happened. I was going to drop money to buy more, but not for this.
    I did get a needed 3* cover out of one of my Galactus tokens, but nothing super exciting thus far.
  • I'll be playing the events to their fullest, but not dropping the $100USD I was prepared to. Unlike what one of the previous posters mentioned, I won't purchase HP unless there is a reason to do it. The bonus HP is great, but if there's no outlet for it, then it's wasted money. I certainly won't gamble that deals in the future will be better than the big yearly event. So I'll fall back into my F2P shell and continue the slow 3* transition. icon_cry.gif
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    By the way, this is a reddit post from one of their employees:

"Hey guys, I can see why this is confusing. The difference between this year and last is that we are handing out a LOT more Anniversary tokens when you play. Check the Black Vortex PVP Progression Rewards, we more than doubled the number of tokens you can earn. Odds went down, but you will more than make up for it by playing."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQu ... re/cvsy3g3

So far my 250 ISO per 2* pull doesn't feel anything like "more than making it up."
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    TCell wrote:
    In terms of value:

Big HP (2900 x .002) +
    Small HP (600 x .003) +
    Dino (2500 x .03) +
    Others (2500 x .016)
    = 122.6 HP

So, really the daily deal is worth the gamble at 50HP, but non-discounted purchases are not.

(Note: The value you place on Dino and/or random 4* may not be = to 2500, but I also haven't assigned the big ISO rewards value either.)
    That's an extremely generous way of doing the math, making both the assumption that a 4* you get will be useful to you (not already maxed) and that it would be worth "whaling" -- buying with HP. And drop it back down if it's a new 4* that you need to buy a roster slot for.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    So yeah, none of this makes sense.

Anniversary tokens are worse than standard heroics, and definitely worse than last year by a mile.

They say "PvP" is the reason but they're only giving out 2 more tokens per event, one of which will never be hit by most people, and they aren't doing lightning rounds. So the total number of tokens actually getting opened is way, WAY lower.

So it's just worse all around.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    loroku wrote:
    So yeah, none of this makes sense.

Anniversary tokens are worse than standard heroics, and definitely worse than last year by a mile.

They say "PvP" is the reason but they're only giving out 2 more tokens per event, one of which will never be hit by most people, and they aren't doing lightning rounds. So the total number of tokens actually getting opened is way, WAY lower.

So it's just worse all around.
    Also, the only comment any dev made on the issue was over on reddit, not the official forums.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    And that comment was based on the premise that 5 > 6.
  • Green83
    Green83 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Dauthi wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Say there is a lightning round, 2 extra tokens for a few pvps does not even compare to being able to get 1-3 every two hours. It's a drop in the bucket.

I feel bad for the new players, they won't know what it's like to farm double ISO from lightning rounds while getting anniversary tokens with great odds. You could farm all day if you wanted and make huge gains. Now that thar was an anniversary bash! icon_e_wink.gif

That indeed sounds really nice, shame I won't get to witness it, been playing this game a lot the past two month and feel like I made great steps as a new player. These rounds would really be the icing on the cake.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow there really are people willing to drop 100$ on a mobile game? You could buy 3 console games for that. Or just for extra emphasis I bought a very lovely Alfa Romeo with full leather interior and only 89k on the clock for £600 (roughly $1100). Some people seriously spend one 11th of the value of my car on a mobile/steam game? and I thought console games were expensive
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Wait, there are tokens in this game that give covers that are over 2*? Wow, it's been so long I forgot that was possible