Anniversary tokens have GREATLY REDUCED 4* odds - not cool!

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    I got an answer on why the tokens are different this year over on Reddit. They decreased the odds because they are giving a lot more out in PVP rewards. So while buying one is not as smart of a move as last year, they are giving more away for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/3o0eez/anniversary_tokens_are_a_lot_worse_this_year_here/cvsy3g3

That is an idiotic excuse for them to be making for making them worse than heroic tokens in almost every way though and completely **** on the people who actually puts their hand in their pocket and buys HP in order to buy packs.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    mindsuckr wrote:
    I got an answer on why the tokens are different this year over on Reddit. They decreased the odds because they are giving a lot more out in PVP rewards. So while buying one is not as smart of a move as last year, they are giving more away for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/3o0eez/anniversary_tokens_are_a_lot_worse_this_year_here/cvsy3g3

The PvP rewards are, admittedly, a lot more generous. (If you haven't looked -- basically, a token every 50 points.) In other words, the anniversary PvP awards have been raised to the level that regular PvP awards should already have been at.....
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    The PvP rewards are, admittedly, a lot more generous. (If you haven't looked -- basically, a token every 50 points.) In other words, the anniversary PvP awards have been raised to the level that regular PvP awards should already have been at.....

Swap that moonstone cover for another token and that would be a lot better. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    But if you mainly want 4* pulls, which is a good chunk of the player base at this point, you need three anniversary tokens to equal one regular event or heroic token. Adding two extra per event doesn't even come close to a wash -- it still leaves us worse off.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    florida92 wrote:
    I did a 10 pack and got Dino and 3 bullseye with 6 tinykitty ** Johnny storms

Jeez. If I drew 6 Johnny Storms from a 10-pack, I'd scoop my eyes out with a grapefruit spoon.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the dev team literally thinks that two times three is five. That is a thing that Reddit post says.

Shut this whole thing down.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the dev team literally thinks that two times three is five. That is a thing that Reddit post says.

Shut this whole thing down.

I didn't think it looked like double, but didn't want to look up a recent pvp to count them. Thanks for verifying the math for me. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • PvP has an Anniversary token at 50/300/450/650/900 points. Everyone will be able to get the 50pt off of the seed teams, and I'd say the majority of the player base can get the 300, but 450-900 is out of reach for an awful lot of people off-season anyway, especially people who just dabble in PvP to try get to 300 for a chance at a 3*.

If the anniversary PvPs are played by more people than normal PvP events, all pushing to get their shot at extra tokens, aren't more of the 'average' roster players going to feel like they're having a harder time securing rewards than they normally would, taking all the 'fun' out of the celebrations?

It's possible I'm just feeling jaded by the whole anniversary so far, and will feel less let down tomorrow... Either way, it's been eye-opening. I really just assumed there would be something for everyone - for the die-hard vets with already maxed out Dinos, for the up-and-comers just covering their first 4*s, and for the new kids, rocking around on a freshly 94'd StormNeto team and looking for their way into the 3* world. Maybe next year!
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    I'd rather have a good, few tokens, than plenty of absolutely terrible tokens. I can't speak for the majority, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people would agree.

I'm absolutely baffled that they have actually thought making tokens worse than heroics for the anniversary was a good idea.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Yeah, more in the pvp events, but significantly less earned overall because they got rid of the 20 man bracket lightning rounds. ****
  • Even if the amount of tokens will make the odds roughly the same as last year, that still seems to missing that those were last years odds. 4* transition is much more of a thing now, and these tokens don't help at all with that.
  • Just don't buy any, I bet they will change it.

I imagine they are expecting to make a lot of money for this anniversary but none of it seems appealing financially.
  • BumpoTheClown
    BumpoTheClown Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I can sort of see the argument that since they're distributing the tokens more liberally they ought to be each worth a little less....

But how can they then charge almost twice as much for them in the store? I think the average non-forum-reading player might instinctively jump at these Anniversary Tokens as being somehow premium goods, available for only a limited time. It seems like D3 is fairly cynically making money off of the backs of folks like that. True, the percentages are there in the app to look over, but the knowledge that Devil Dinosaur is sort of a useless prestige item is hidden information.

If they really wanted to go this way, then they could have special Anniversary Tokens that they can throw around like beads at Mardi Gras and just not sell them in the store at all. You could give one away free to everyone once a day, like they did for Taco Day, instead of doing the once a day 50HP sale.
  • barrok wrote:
    Just don't buy any, I bet they will change it.

I imagine they are expecting to make a lot of money for this anniversary but none of it seems appealing financially.

Except for the fact that HP is offering a 30% bonus. That will bring in the cash no matter what the circumstances are, good token odds or not.

Here's my take, I don't think that there was a real plan to do an anniversary thing. I think that the amount of hype up on the forums created a demand for it and the devs responded with a slapped together thing. Pure speculation, but it sure seems to have had a lot less planning than it should have gotten.

Man, I miss that Ant-Man event. Easily the best conceived and executed event that this company has ever put out. Can we please, please, please have more of those?
  • With the 2900 and 600 HP prizes, the "real" cost of any one token is reduced by 9.4 HP. While that's a sizable portion of a 50 HP daily deal, it's obviously still not very good.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    mindsuckr wrote:

As the last person there states, this is by far untrue. Last anniversary they had 4* Thor lightning rounds going constantly handing them out. I easily maxed out my Dino during that one by getting 1-3 anniversary tokens every 2 hours.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was tempted to chuck some money their way in the sale, would've been the first time in ages.

Glad I didn't.
  • By the way, this is a reddit post from one of their employees:

"Hey guys, I can see why this is confusing. The difference between this year and last is that we are handing out a LOT more Anniversary tokens when you play. Check the Black Vortex PVP Progression Rewards, we more than doubled the number of tokens you can earn. Odds went down, but you will more than make up for it by playing."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQu ... re/cvsy3g3
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's still possible there are Anniversary lightning rounds on Tuesday. We don't know yet because...it's not Tuesday.

Also, I find it ironic that by giving out more tokens with lesser odds, they essentially made it harder for whales to buy a huge advantage. So of course the forum is complaining that they can't pay-to-win.

I don't necessarily think it's a good strategy for them, because they probably would have made more money having it like last year's event, but I still think it's funny.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    scottee wrote:
    It's still possible there are Anniversary lightning rounds on Tuesday. We don't know yet because...it's not Tuesday.

Also, I find it ironic that by giving out more tokens with lesser odds, they essentially made it harder for whales to buy a huge advantage. So of course the forum is complaining that they can't pay-to-win.

I don't necessarily think it's a good strategy for them, because they probably would have made more money having it like last year's event, but I still think it's funny.

They confirmed no lightning rounds. I don't feel like digging it up, but you can check IceIX's posts if you want.