Iron Man Hulkbuster's 4* nodeHow did you do?

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    My 454 level 175 HB took out greenie on the first try. Punch, 2 overdrives, punch again. Goodnite! icon_lol.gif

I wish all the weekly nodes are as easy to finish. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    8 wipeouts so far with a 3/3/0 HB ( I forget the exact level, but it's the max for those covers, 120-130 i think). Don't think this one is going to be doable for me this time. Tried denying green and red, but I swear the game practically feeds red to him, as every match I make drops down another red right near other reds. It feels like I'm always one match behind him. It happened in each of my tries, he'd have Smash ready in turn four in half of them.

There's a pattern I'm starting to notice with these "rivals" in these challenges. They have two matching colors with your 4*, and it's 3rd different color that is the difference maker, at least for the under 200 leveled characters. Last week it was the yellowflag.png that Quicksilver didn't have that made the difference for IW in that challenge, and this week it's the blueflag.png blue. Without the protect tiles laid down, a 150ish level HB is just going to be worn down by the time they've got a decent red amount built up, plus there's nothing to mitigate the blackflag.png Overdrive damage. I tried building up up 30 red before firing Overdrive then Repulser Punch, but by that point Overdrive would outright kill me and the red (at this level) isn't enough.

Firing off every time I get 9 red doesn't work either as the green cascades and the Thunderclap follow up take my HB apart. (he's only 8000-9000 health).

So, it looks like no win for me for me on a 4* challenge for the first (and looking at the rest of my roster, it won't be the last) but that's ok. I got the Thieves PVE legendary this morning already, so I can burn health packs tonight when I get off work, throwing HB against the green wall over and over again in the hopes I get lucky.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a level 111 HB covered 0/3/1. I don't hold out much hope on surviving this. I'll see how it goes.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Beat it first go w 5/5/3 lvl 210. My first easy one and only the second I've been able to beat. Wxf took me 20 goes or so.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    So, for us lower folk - is "deny and pray" what we're looking at, or are there any other strategies I haven't seen/thought of?

(Not a whine, legit question. I know it's supposed to be difficult)
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just for a laugh I attempted with my recently won 1/0/0 lvl 70 HB. Matched all the greens and reds for a long, long time. My idea was just AP denial to see how far I could go, then used Punch once...then anger happened and two claps later I was dead. I didn't do too bad considering though, got him down to 7.5k health with a single cover and lvl 70, if I had one more cover I'm pretty sure I'd beat this no sweat.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bobbyfish wrote:
    I do just about have the HP to buy a second red cover, but I don't know if it's worth it, especially as I'm all out of ISO to do any levelling anyway
    I think there are better ways to spend your HP. There will be more chances for legendary tokens down the road.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    bobbyfish wrote:
    I do just about have the HP to buy a second red cover, but I don't know if it's worth it, especially as I'm all out of ISO to do any levelling anyway
    I think there are better ways to spend your HP. There will be more chances for legendary tokens down the road.
    Thanks for the voice of reason. I'm sure I wouldn't have done anyway, but I'll resist. Might need to pick up some boosts though, they've made this node so temptingly close to being doable! I'll raid the prologue and see if I've left any there...
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 1/1/0 is worthless. Even with perfect green and red denial, was dead from match damage before putting a dent in Hulk.

Not even going to bother any more of these. I don't think any of my remaining 4*s have a chance in hell. Excluding xforce, Fury, and iw, my next strongest has 4 covers.

But, fun to see people with fully covered Hulkbusters are having no problems, and D3's plan to make the gap between haves and have nots even wider is working. Yippee and huzzah icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Tatercat wrote:
    8 wipeouts so far with a 3/3/0 HB ( I forget the exact level, but it's the max for those covers, 120-130 i think). Don't think this one is going to be doable for me this time. Tried denying green and red, but I swear the game practically feeds red to him, as every match I make drops down another red right near other reds. It feels like I'm always one match behind him. It happened in each of my tries, he'd have Smash ready in turn four in half of them.

There's a pattern I'm starting to notice with these "rivals" in these challenges. They have two matching colors with your 4*, and it's 3rd different color that is the difference maker, at least for the under 200 leveled characters. Last week it was the yellowflag.png that Quicksilver didn't have that made the difference for IW in that challenge, and this week it's the blueflag.png blue. Without the protect tiles laid down, a 150ish level HB is just going to be worn down by the time they've got a decent red amount built up, plus there's nothing to mitigate the blackflag.png Overdrive damage. I tried building up up 30 red before firing Overdrive then Repulser Punch, but by that point Overdrive would outright kill me and the red (at this level) isn't enough.

Firing off every time I get 9 red doesn't work either as the green cascades and the Thunderclap follow up take my HB apart. (he's only 8000-9000 health).

So, it looks like no win for me for me on a 4* challenge for the first (and looking at the rest of my roster, it won't be the last) but that's ok. I got the Thieves PVE legendary this morning already, so I can burn health packs tonight when I get off work, throwing HB against the green wall over and over again in the hopes I get lucky.

Same for me. I success for the previous but this one will be hard. HB is 1/1/3 lvl 115 and I get him to around 8000 (but with no boost for the moment). So, don't let him get the 10 green AP. Preparing my pool Red blast...

Hard defi icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tried once with my 1/2/1 level 94 HB and no boosts. A 22 AP repulser punch did less than 2k of damage. Yeah, I'm not gonna try again unless I start seeing some "wow, it's possible after all!" stories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad -- this is the first of these I haven't been able to win. For all I know there's a bunch of HB covers in my harder legendary tokens, but I'm waiting for the second 5* release.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Tried once with my 1/2/1 level 94 HB and no boosts. A 22 AP repulser punch did less than 2k of damage. Yeah, I'm not gonna try again unless I start seeing some "wow, it's possible after all!" stories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad -- this is the first of these I haven't been able to win. For all I know there's a bunch of HB covers in my harder legendary tokens, but I'm waiting for the second 5* release.

I opened 5 of mine and get no HB icon_mrgreen.gif .

I success take down to 4000HP remaining with my little HB 1/1/3 using boosts.

near impossible icon_lol.gif
  • I have a 0/3/2 HB.

Do i have a chance at playing and winning? I wiped 3 times, seems without red you are severely handicapped according to what I've read.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3 220, one shot of course.
    Pulled XFD purple.
    Win win
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    I have a 0/3/2 HB.

Do i have a chance at playing and winning? I wiped 3 times, seems without red you are severely handicapped according to what I've read.

Yes it will be much harder to succeed without a red nuke. But I think it should be possible since hulk is so weak (relatively speaking). Deny red and green as much as possible. Blue should help you prevent too much green from lying on the board, and the protect tiles will also help you last longer against his match damage. You should be able to cast black one or twice without strike the tiles triggering hulk's anger.

It will take time since you will have to whittle him down slowly, but I think it should be possible.

5/5/3 @202 IMHB here, and it was ridiculously easy (first try, lost about 3k health). Hulk is such a pushover compared to some of the other opponents *cough*Cyclops and cMags*cough*. As someone else suggested, She-hulk would have been a much more interesting challenge. Not intended to belittle anyone, as I am sure this matchup is a challenge for undercovered IMHB's. Just observing that I think it would be quite hard to lose this match with a 5/5/3 IMHB at 166 or higher, whereas is was relatively easy to lose the XFW node even with a 5/5/3/ @270.
  • What boosts should I use?
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Took me 8 tries, but I finally won with my level 152 2/4/1 HB. Denied green and red as much as I could, and kept whittling away. Used match damage boosts, since extra AP wasn't going to help much. I had 342 health left when I won and he had enough for a clap that would have been serious overkill.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am curious to see if anyone wins by Smash self-damage (or even Anger)
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    What boosts should I use?

Match damage boosts are the way to go, since you are going to be heavily reliant on match damage to whittle down hulk.

The trick is going to be figuring out how to generate as much damage as possible per match without triggering anger. (at 19k health, it should take about 950 damage to trigger anger). So match damage for red and green, and then firing black once (or maybe twice depending upon how strong your strike tiles will be).

After that it's just waiting for a polite board that gives you lots of blue and black and keeps hulk away from red and green.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    2/2/0 HB. It ain't happening.

Finally, I feel the extreme unfairness of the AI's TU. When you're playing so much against the odds already, it really feels intolerable to suffer insult from an arbitrary disadvantage like this.