so this guy is 3 covers from god mode

Comments

• _M4ru_
    _M4ru_ Posts: 91 Match Maker
    Is this http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-ow ... -producer/ what MPQ makers are striving for?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2015
    _M4ru_ wrote:
    Is this http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-ow ... -producer/ what MPQ makers are striving for?
    ^^ This is really why I'm not freaking out about Legendary tokens and SS "breaking the game." It's completely expected in the F2P paradigm.

10 royal princes and a few extraordinarily lucky people with high level SS's aren't going have a measurable impact on my enjoyment of MPQ, but it might fund the game a bit beyond my $5. The Devs care about game balance, but only secondarily to revenue/player engagement. Who cares how well balanced a game is if no one plays it or the severs shut down?

Other people will freak out about SS to the extent that they start buying more 40-packs and "engage" more to get those free Legendary tokens. They won't be lucky enough to obtain maxed 5*'s, but Roster Slots and other small purchases will be good for the bottom line. In the meantime, the vast majority of the player base will slowly earn SS and other 5* characters at a nice, slow pace on average. Because he's OP, we'll actually pair him with 4* characters at 2/2/2, which will happen about a year from now (for most of us).

Why would the Devs change anything in this scenario? I mean, they designed that 1 vs 3 node to show how powerful SS is, right? The intent was to awe/freak out players. They know he's over-powered; that was the point! If the point of this thread is to wake up the Devs to a flaw, then I think the OP is severely underestimating them.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    _M4ru_ wrote:

You better believe it - I'm sure all the people who attempted to whale SS are on their radar - but it's not just MPQ. Have you ever read the permissions on the "Line" app that's popular here? It can collect all your data off your phone and send it home.

Just checked the permissions for MPQ on Android - they're not terrible. You give MPQ access to all your photos / media / files, but it looks like it may need that to install to an SD card. You give it your wifi information (to connect, I assume - not sure why Android doesn't just handle that though), identity (to associate with your profile), and call information (which looks like it allows it to let you answer phone calls during the game - again, probably something Android should just handle).

I'm sure the developers could do something nefarious if they wanted with this information, but I've definitely seen way worse requirements on applications that should need less information than MPQ does.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    10 royal princes and a few extraordinarily lucky people with high level SS's aren't going have a measurable impact on my enjoyment of MPQ, but it might fund the game a bit beyond my $5. The Devs care about game balance, but only secondarily to revenue/player engagement. Who cares how well balanced a game is if no one plays it or the severs shut down?

Other people will freak out about SS to the extent that they start buying more 40-packs and "engage" more to get those free Legendary tokens. They won't be lucky enough to obtain maxed 5*'s, but Roster Slots and other small purchases will be good for the bottom line.

I hope the whales spend so much that the Devs can make every slot after you hit the 1K slots (70 or so?) free. Or cap them all at 500HP, whatever it takes to fix that madness. Roster spot pricing is what will keep ftp out of the game, but without ftp you won't have whales.

I see you have the 270 Iceman now KD, gratz and thanks for supporting the rest of us (or perhaps sorry you haven't pulled another SS yet!)
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    I'd like to hear what SS does to the guys scaling in pve, if it has no/little effect, it'd definitely make his clears much faster squeezing out more points, and reducing health pack usage by bringing a team that ss tanks for, because ss has a decently strong true heal, and his match damage alone is nothing to sneeze at either.

What you should worry more about is how the PvE scaling level cap relates to the maximum level a player-owned 5* can achieve:

Either those that own 5*s are going to be able to match (or even out-level) the PvE opponents in raw power and for all practical intents and purposes grind PvEs for maximum, guaranteed rewards;
    or the maximum level-cap for PvE opponents has also been moved up and now, for those players that don't own a well-covered 5*, is in danger of scaling well beyond what those players can conceivably handle.

Thank your lucky stars that community-scaling has been done away with, or the second case would've spelled certain doom for the game, period.
    (As an aside: now we know the real reason that community-scaling had to go, don't we?)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    _RiO_ wrote:
    What you should worry more about is how the PvE scaling level cap relates to the maximum level a player-owned 5* can achieve:

Either those that own 5*s are going to be able to match (or even out-level) the PvE opponents in raw power and for all practical intents and purposes grind PvEs for maximum, guaranteed rewards;
    or the maximum level-cap for PvE opponents has also been moved up and now, for those players that don't own a well-covered 5*, is in danger of scaling well beyond what those players can conceivably handle.
    Or, they could just lock out 5*s from PvE, for the health of the game...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:
    Again I will restate that token_legendary.png being the only way to obtain an OP 5* seemed like a good idea on paper and would've been a good way for the player base to obtain him at a steady rate so a few people weren't dominating, but that's clearly not the reality and needs to be addressed sooner than later.

This wasn't a bad plan. They just never should've been available in the 40 pack. They left a window to whale it, so of course someone was going to.

With no whaling, it'd be a race to who can earn it first. That's a fine goal as an end game, especially since he's mostly a match damage tank at low covers.

Sad part is I assume he's the one (because how many 2/2/5's could there be?) that was on FB complaining $5k wasn't enough to finish it. So he's come in well under what was projected to have to spend.
  • mjh wrote:
    Again I will restate that token_legendary.png being the only way to obtain an OP 5* seemed like a good idea on paper and would've been a good way for the player base to obtain him at a steady rate so a few people weren't dominating, but that's clearly not the reality and needs to be addressed sooner than later.

This wasn't a bad plan. They just never should've been available in the 40 pack. They left a window to whale it, so of course someone was going to.

With no whaling, it'd be a race to who can earn it first. That's a fine goal as an end game, especially since he's mostly a match damage tank at low covers.

Sad part is I assume he's the one (because how many 2/2/5's could there be?) that was on FB complaining $5k wasn't enough to finish it. So he's come in well under what was projected to have to spend.

Why would the devs not give players a small option to whale? At the end of the day MPQ is a "product" "sold" to the public. It's a business. Why would D3 not want people to spend money? Why does the playerbase not want others to spend money?

It might be going to an extreme but this right now is like saying a Bugatti shouldn't have a price tag cause someone might actually buy it with his/her money... the entire world should be able to obtain it just by completing daily check ins or something

I say all the power to him. Hopefully i'll start making the money he/she is in the near future! Keep it up KD
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:
    Why would the devs not give players a small option to whale? At the end of the day MPQ is a "product" "sold" to the public. It's a business. Why would D3 not want people to spend money? Why does the playerbase not want others to spend money?

I'll rephrase. I don't have a problem with them making money, but it shouldn't make a player invinicible as a result.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:

I'll rephrase. I don't have a problem with them making money, but it shouldn't make a player invinicible as a result.

The only place you would really notice it, is in PVP, and shield makes you as invincible as a 5*!
  • TCell
    TCell Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Hey KingDreadnaught,

Just wiped to you in Sim, but thanks. No sarcasm, that was super fun trying to figure out a way to take you down without using SuperWhales. I got through Iceman and almost all of JG before going down. Maybe next time I'll try a different team or get a luckier board.

Also, thanks for spending money on the game. I appreciate that you support the game financially, so many can play for free.

Cheers, T Cell (Ampersand)
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    So who else has attacked him (and has anyone actually beat his team)?

He's in my Red Shift slice just sitting there unshielded the whole time....but I don't dare icon_lol.gif
  • Malcrof
    evil panda wrote:
    So who else has attacked him (and has anyone actually beat his team)?

He's in my Red Shift slice just sitting there unshielded the whole time....but I don't dare icon_lol.gif

Dare!! Right now with Boosted SW, try Charlies Angels (thats how i took down a surfer) or SW/IF/Cage if you have them maxed, you get quite a feeling of accomplishment when you win.. and if you lose, you lose maybe 3-5pts at most.
  • God mod is planned with 6*... Wait...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koko81 wrote:

That's my problem with this character as well. In LR just saw an all 3* player (no 4* above 166) running their one-cover SS out there - and why not? It's pretty much their best character! Have to focus on it because with one cover it does incredible amount of match damage (maybe at level 270 it should do 270 amount of match damage?)

Which is what many have been warning of. I'm willing to take on that 270 - but pretty soon 2*'s will be able to pull three covers out of PVE legendary tokens, and they will never have to worry about 3* at all, they'll barely have to worry about 4*. But this game will be very, very boring for them - instead of 2*/3*/4* progression they'll be going SS from now until....whenever they get bored with playing the game and quit.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I said when it was announced that a maxed 5* would rule versus events, thus ensuring top placements and the ability to hoard legendary tokens ready for the next 5* and then it just snowballs.
    Very interesting this is said here when it's more or less the same when it comes to 4 stars.

I'd like to hear what SS does to the guys scaling in pve, if it has no/little effect, it'd definitely make his clears much faster squeezing out more points, and reducing health pack usage by bringing a team that ss tanks for, because ss has a decently strong true heal, and his match damage alone is nothing to sneeze at either.

Not even sure scaling would matter. Have you tried the Season demo node? Sheesh. SS is a beast. Just pick two one-stars to tag along and get murdered. Even if Surfer goes down, or you can't pull off a true heal, you'd only need one med pack per node like that. Just leave the one-stars bloated corpses in the background.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Spencer75 wrote:
    I think it's way more likely that you spent more on this game than you're comfortable admitting.
    Why would anyone anonymous be ashamed of how much they used. I mean, we don't know this guy - he might be an Arab prince with a 1000 servants, a dozen private jets and his hobbies include collecting castles in Europe (a colleague of mine once met a fellow like this). Or someone who spends $10,000 on a night out drinking and partying. Or he won the lottery or whatever.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Screenshot_2015_09_22_22_01_22.png

So when do I get my much needed skip cost refund from the devs?
  • Malcrof
    turul wrote:
    Screenshot_2015_09_22_22_01_22.png

So when do I get my much needed skip cost refund from the devs?

The level is a bug, they are fixing it.. Give it a try!
  • Vladdy
    Vladdy Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Nevertheless a skip that costs iso icon_e_smile.gif

(And he keeps appearing in my nodes all the time.)
This discussion has been closed.