so this guy is 3 covers from god mode

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    This too shall pass.

I believe that there is a chance that 5*'s will ruin the game, but it's not guaranteed. The fact is that 5*'s are powerful, significantly more powerful than 4*'s to the point that Silver Surfer invalidates about 90% of the characters with a single ability. And the next 5* looks to do about the same. The fact that Hulkbuster and Yelena may as well be interchangeable in terms of the challenge they pose indicates where the new meta can be found.

Demiurge's challenge will be getting enough 5* covers into enough player's rosters. If one person has a fully covered Silver Surfer, it's only a problem when no one else does. If they can get enough people with a bunch of covers, it'll make the playing field appear to be more level. The anniversary event might be a good chance for this.

Of course, if they can't manage this correctly, it will blow up in their faces. Spectacularly.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    One idea I had at nerfing 5* is to make it so health packs cannot be used on them (not sure what the rate of heal is since I don't have him). This will limit the time they can be used (if they are taking damage) and makes more sense story wise. These cosmic beings should not be simply healed from an earthly health pack. Sort of like an opposite deadpool whale points, call it Silver surfer hit points, they regenerate slowly over time and regardless of pve, pvp (offensive or defensive team) this is the health of silver surfer for the match. This means a failed attempt against him isn't all for nothing. Also allows for team work to bring him down. Question is, if multiple people are going against the same silver surfer, what should be his health point at the start? The same for both matches and afterwards it goes down by damage from both or just one?
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    limonade wrote:
    Now that's commitment to the game and devs.

That's one way of looking at it, I guess.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    The 5*s were OPed for this game at launch, I think in an effort to make them valuable when they were only half covered. A huge mistake on the part of the creators of this game. He should have been 30K health at 15 covers with a match damage of 155 max.

I don't think that was the mistake. The mistake was allowing 5-star covers to be purchased using real money through any means and assuming the high cost would deter people from spending money. As powerful as that character is, it should only be available through gameplay. That means no legendary tokens in the DDQ vault, in 40-packs, or otherwise available through HP expenditure.

On an entirely related topic, I've just lost 99% of my desire to play this game. I already get hammered by anyone with a maxed 4-star in PvP and now someone out there can simply stomp my entire roster at a whim because they plunked down a bunch of cash? They may have themselves a very shiny new toy, but they're going to find themselves playing with it alone in very short order.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    TaoSpoons wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    They may have themselves a very shiny new toy, but they're going to find themselves playing with it alone in very short order.
    As I said, it gets lonely at the top. Thats why I'm, personally, not too bothered about it.

I'm likely never going to be an attractive sum of points for them to fight, I'm unlikely to lose that many against them, and I can just use them as a free skip-node.
    The literal worst case scenario is I'm unlikely to get top 1-5 again.

Oh well.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    TaoSpoons wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    The 5*s were OPed for this game at launch, I think in an effort to make them valuable when they were only half covered. A huge mistake on the part of the creators of this game. He should have been 30K health at 15 covers with a match damage of 155 max.

I don't think that was the mistake. The mistake was allowing 5-star covers to be purchased using real money through any means and assuming the high cost would deter people from spending money. As powerful as that character is, it should only be available through gameplay. That means no legendary tokens in the DDQ vault, in 40-packs, or otherwise available through HP expenditure.

But the suits wouldn't like that.
    Invariably although this is F2P, it's still a business. While it is one, the underlying emphasis is on how to make money. They may not have expected mega-whales to attack, or more likely it was considered and the benefit to demiurge was worth it. They could have limited the amount of covers on offer, but mega-whales attack icon_lol.gif
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    I can only imagine the outrage when the inevitable silver surfer nerf happens. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I don't see how one 2/2/5 SS demonstrates that the game is over for the rest of us. If anything, the game is over for that person.

As far as I'm concerned, if you spend $15,000 on MPQ, then whole game should just unlock for you. Forever. That said, I'm not sure how long I'd want to play with "god mode" on.

I'd rather play the game in which you play the game to get there.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I never for a second thought op was being critical of the player. **** on the devs who thought nobody would pull it off, sure, but not the player. Kudos for him or her. Be skipping them in PvP for sure.
  • I don't see how one 2/2/5 SS demonstrates that the game is over for the rest of us. If anything, the game is over for that person.

As far as I'm concerned, if you spend $15,000 on MPQ, then whole game should just unlock for you. Forever. That said, I'm not sure how long I'd want to play with "god mode" on.

I'd rather play the game in which you play the game to get there.

Well, if you're in a PVP bracket with this person, you can just give up on trying to get the top rank, if you cared about that at least.

Probably a similar case for PVE too, if this person grinds alright. There's no node they cannot clear.

I wonder if they have a complete collection of, well, every other character. I know if I hit that power level, I'd be looking to see how far I can expand my roster and have everybody ready for every situation.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Guys just FYI he spent lots of time earning the tokens from rewards and also splashing the $$$ for the tokens. I'm hoping he max it soon so that more hardcore players can give it a go at a full covered and maxed Silver Surfer in PVP.
  • Unknown
    edited September 2015
    double post, but twice the meaning. @ KD...come find me bro.

easy...marc
  • mjh wrote:
    was looking for that poll-thread on how long it will take for someone to max a icon_silversurfer.png but couldn't find it.

I think I found who will win that in the near future, he's already at almost 3k pts for season before the first event has even ended.

What happened to the "long term game"?

21387795618_4bd03a99df_c.jpg

Who? Never heard of him

easy..marc
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    And I am here. Thanks for calling me out to this. My apologies if I happened to hit someone but I was just enjoying the game. I might have a lot of covers for SS but that doesn't mean I can't be defeated. I lost several times today and someone keep hitting me which I was okay with it. Further info please let me know. As well I don't think this is the end game, the character has its weakness and the up coming 5* will make a different strategy, as well of how to kill SS
  • kensterr wrote:
    Guys just FYI he spent lots of time earning the tokens from rewards and also splashing the $$$ for the tokens.

Earning the tokens from rewards? He's drawn at least 9 SS covers (ignoring the possibility of duplicate reds) and I don't think there's been 9 Legendary tokens on offer as rewards. So far, Legendary tokens have been available in 2 PvEs, 2 DDQs, one DDQ vault (not counting current one as it went live after the screenshot) and I think about 3 PvPs?

...Pretty confident that the bulk of this was from 40 packs with max 1 or 2 covers from directly earned legendary tokens.

Having said that, it's possible he bought the 40packs with HP earned in game rather than spending $$. Unlikely, but definitely possible.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    And I am here. Thanks for calling me out to this. My apologies if I happened to hit someone but I was just enjoying the game. I might have a lot of covers for SS but that doesn't mean I can't be defeated. I lost several times today and someone keep hitting me which I was okay with it. Further info please let me know. As well I don't think this is the end game, the character has its weakness and the up coming 5* will make a different strategy, as well of how to kill SS

First off, congrats on the SS.. i will take a shot at you if i see you in the SQ PVP icon_e_biggrin.gif

Secondly, as you can see by his post, SS did not end the game.. he is taking losses just like any other team. There is no as of yet, undefeatable team.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grantosium wrote:
    Having said that, it's possible he bought the 40packs with HP earned in game rather than spending $$. Unlikely, but definitely possible.
    No, it's definitely not. He had to have opened 180 tokens, give or take. That's over 2mil HP in 40packs. You can't earn anything close that via in-game rewards.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Grantosium wrote:
    No, it's definitely not. He had to have opened 180 tokens, give or take. That's over 2mil HP in 40packs. You can't earn anything close that via in-game rewards.
    Ok, "unlikely"may have been an understatement, but it is possible. All we can guarantee is that he opened 9 tokens. Yes, I've seen the maths thread that places it at a stupidly small percentage but the possibility is there!

More possible than getting 9 covers from 8 tokens anyway!
  • razput1n
    razput1n Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Not a lot of people will spend the 15k it takes to full cover him, this guy/gal did and now he/she gets to rule us all, not a big deal. Someone estimated about 85k ppl participate on pvps 20 or 30 of them spending 15k to be invincible wont make much of a difference.

If like me you have a strong 3* roster and no usable 4* nothing really changed, instead of getting dominated by HB/IF now you get dominated by SS.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I said when it was announced that a maxed 5* would rule versus events, thus ensuring top placements and the ability to hoard legendary tokens ready for the next 5* and then it just snowballs.
    Very interesting this is said here when it's more or less the same when it comes to 4 stars.
    as many have said here, 3*s can compete with 4*s because the gap in power is some, but not overwhelming. I can beat fistbusters with fist/cage and in divine champs I took down a hb/thing/xpool team with thor/loki/hood (might have had mags in there - don't remember), so...less. not more, for that argument. panther event I ran fist and mags, neither of which were boosted (at 166 for the event) and the only thing that that kept me from 1300 was my own managing of my time. ended with 1250. are 4*s more powerful? yes, a little but not much. can they be taken down by 3*s, absolutely. all about how you use what you have. my 2 wipes in the panther event were not from 4*s, but from a boosted RotP. I used to have a mental block about taking on 4*s and maxed this and that - once you get over that it becomes fun to figure out how to attack and overcome obstacles rather than just complaining because you haven't been able to yet.
This discussion has been closed.