**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) ****

Options

Comments

• Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kcwei83 wrote:
    raziel777 wrote:
    But this is new balance for the 4* tier, just one more to go (X-F) and D3 can start with 5* icon_e_ugeek.gif

I have to disagree with this, d3 nerf all the 4* because they want to avoid another transition level. By the time all players transition to 4*, what will happen? New 5* coming soon. They did this to avoid 5* from happening real soon. I have to say they thought about this.

But couldn't they simply keep 4 stars as they are and not move into the 5 star tier? Why the necessity?
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For 19 AP (5thor blue then red) you can do about as much damage with Mystique- purple then black - her purple only stuns for 2 rounds though
  • ayatorahxephon
    ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    shame on the developers really. most of my heroes got nerfed but not til useless tier of nerf but thoress' from a top tier to junk now
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ludaa wrote:

I highly doubt they'll change her again. I bet Demiurge_Miles regrets ever saying, "They're still fun." Considering their limited discussion on the topic, and the recent plans for buffed Versus events, it's clear to me they wanted the 270 wall brought down. That couldn't happen with pre-nerf GT running around. For better or worse, they definitely hurt their rep in a lot of vet's eyes. Plenty of people went out and bought Prof. X covers though, so not much reason for them to change! Kind of like the DLC/pre-order problem with video games.

Well, shes still "fun" is relative to the person in question, so it was a very safe thing to say and smart as a PR guy. It avoids saying "strong" which can actually be measured.
  • From reading the OP's comparison, she sounds fairly balanced against Star-Lord and Fury.

I think 4*Thor's lower damage is expected based on these conditions:
    - Instant damage instead of trap / countdown damage.
    - She has more base HP.

Just by looking at Star-Lord and Fury's attack output, I would say they are more attacker and less supporter. If this game is a fantasy RPG they definitely look more like black mages than white mages. If 4*Thor is a tank, then wouldn't you expect her to have less damage than the black mages?
  • Even if you gave Thor 10,000 damage for Power Smite, it's still less than Star Lord or Nick Fury's Demolition. It costs 19 friggin AP, it can do 10,000 damage, even on a tank.
  • I'm guessing that devs are trying to account for some of the snowballing benefits that 4*Thor gains by having charged tiles on board. Once there is only one enemy left, 4*Thor's stun becomes many times more valuable. I can see the situation being sort of opposite for Fury's blue, because when there is only one enemy left, that enemy will typically only aim for 3 colors and TU, so there's more chances of you getting unlucky and the traps are on colors that are ignored, and if you do stun the remaining enemy, the enemy won't be matching any of the traps while the enemy is stunned.

Basically, Power Smite would become more efficient over the course of a fight, where as Fury's blue would become less efficient (you can't double cast it for double the damage due to overkill). That said, I don't have these characters covered well enough to make an accurate assessment, but I think there's a lot of hidden penalties and counters to Fury's blue (tile destruction skills, Fury dying causing all traps to disarm) that should be taken into consideration when thinking about the balance of these skills.
  • ayatorahxephon
    Options
    Rebuff 4hor damnamit
  • ayatorahxephon
    Options
    Well, take a look at 3* thor, a tank, a damager and his skill can feed one another. Using a buffed up 3hor at the same level as 4thor is way stronger. Why do these developers keep overnerf characters?
  • Also, and I can't stress this enough...the precedent is awful. If TGT can only be better than a 3* because of her health, then why should we assume that that same restriction doesn't also apply to the other 4* characters? And so how long before X-Force gets neutered and Fury is the peak of 4* performance? I mean, when Fury debuted he was the only 4* character worth building. That was a very boring time to have an established roster. You felt, once you put your ideal 3* teams together, that there was no real progress left to make. That's not an exciting meta to create.

I don't care if they buff her back to teddybonkers levels. I fought her then without any real difficulty (and without access to the mirror), and I'll fight her again. But 4* status needs to matter, or there will be nowhere left to go in this game.
  • Oh, and I almost forgot: charged tiles just can't be worth what the developers seem to think they're worth. It's a mathematical impossibility. Because for an ability like Lightning Rod to even exist on a 3* character, they must think those things are as precious as gold. Consider: if you immediately use your turn to match the 3 charged green tiles that lightning rod creates, you'll deal an extra 500 damage (that's generous) and gain 6 extra green AP. If Lightning Rod read, "burst heal your allies, deal 700 damage to your target, gain 9 green ap, end your turn" people probably still wouldn't play it. And that is realistically the best possible outcome to using that ability and then taking your turn.

So whatever value they think charged tiles have, they're wrong. They need to recost them from the ground up before they follow up underwhelming TGT and underwhelming Rags blue with underwhelming Gambit...because underwhelming Gambit will cause an absolute riot.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Davyx wrote:
    I'm guessing that devs are trying to account for some of the snowballing benefits that 4*Thor gains by having charged tiles on board. Once there is only one enemy left, 4*Thor's stun becomes many times more valuable. I can see the situation being sort of opposite for Fury's blue, because when there is only one enemy left, that enemy will typically only aim for 3 colors and TU, so there's more chances of you getting unlucky and the traps are on colors that are ignored, and if you do stun the remaining enemy, the enemy won't be matching any of the traps while the enemy is stunned.

Basically, Power Smite would become more efficient over the course of a fight, where as Fury's blue would become less efficient (you can't double cast it for double the damage due to overkill). That said, I don't have these characters covered well enough to make an accurate assessment, but I think there's a lot of hidden penalties and counters to Fury's blue (tile destruction skills, Fury dying causing all traps to disarm) that should be taken into consideration when thinking about the balance of these skills.

There's such an easy fix for the snowballing, though. Don't make it a sliding scale. Just change Smite to:

"Deals 3409 damage and places 3 charged tiles on the board. If there are 5 or more charged tiles on the board, Smite deals 12109 damage."

Those numbers are based on Smite's old damage with the new charged tile numbers, but the devs could change either one as appropriate. It means they don't have to worry about escalating smite values giving you 20K smites after a double blue, and the lower charged tiles makes it less sustainable for multiple smites/stuns, but it means it still hits like a truck after you get a bunch of AP.
  • Wow, so a couple days in now and 4THOR is completely useless.

She went from instant win in PVE (forget PVP), to completely useless in this gauntlet. Wow, just wow MPQ.

All that $$$$$$ you guys made from her and then you turn her into complete ****. Crooks!
  • ayatorahxephon
    Options
    That's why it turns me from an active player to semi retiring now. I agree with nerfs but this is way over. And whichever character you think is strong now will get nerfed or overnerfed sooner or later. So far Iron Fist, hood, Mystique and C Mags are the only ones that has the proper or decent nerf . Spiderman, Ragnarok, 4hor, 2* mag all fell from their glory days to the bottom of the food chain useless tier now... Especially 4hor.. yeah fun indeed
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been playing with her in Simulator a bit and there are no friggin charged tiles on the board. I'd say with a blue match lined up about 66% of the time none of them change colors after a blue + red combo. Frequently noticing a weird charge tile stuck in the corner (usually yellow) that doesn't get touched for the rest of the match. No damage, low utility, next to no AP acceleration. She's just an HP soak.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She should get better once other characters get some useful charge tile abilities. Rags's isn't useful.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've played for awhile have witenessed all the ups and downs and as a whole this last set of character changes was good.

Iron Fist--This was just the right thing to do, he is still top tier 3*, just not **** crazy now.

MnMags--I actually like him more, I did play with him before I sold him for the HP, but will quickly put him back together, I like his purple more. You can easily get 1 or 2 match 5's from the blue and I have been getting awesome cascades with red, which helps you use his own red faster, overall this was a good fix

Mystique--Meh, I think the AP increase would have been enough, the loss of a tile didn't do a whole lot, but unless they end up making her purple placeable, trade off woudl be shorter CD tile, she's not much use outside the winfinite combo which is there but slower.

Rags--Ugh, this guy is a mess, I actually liked his weak spammable skills better, he needs a relook, a quick quality of life for him would be to drop his green to 12 and then have blue create 5 charged tiles

Thor--just bump blue to 8 tiles and your done, if they are dead set against it, then Smite needs to place the charged tiles first, then do the damage, yellow just needs to go back to normal, seriously that skill needed a boost not a nerf
  • I was just thinking, what if they tweaked her a bit to make her better but without making her a powerhouse again? My idea is to make her redflag.png work in two ways: if it is the first thing you use (and you shouldnt be doing this), it deals damage and creates the charged tiles; but if there are alredy 5 or more (and this is important as it is the number of tiles made by max level blueflag.png or after at least two uses of her powers) then she instead creates the charged tiles BEFORE doing damage with redflag.png , making so those few tiles also deal the damage bonus on her redflag.png .
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    I was just thinking, what if they tweaked her a bit to make her better but without making her a powerhouse again? My idea is to make her redflag.png work in two ways: if it is the first thing you use (and you shouldnt be doing this), it deals damage and creates the charged tiles; but if there are alredy 5 or more (and this is important as it is the number of tiles made by max level blueflag.png or after at least two uses of her powers) then she instead creates the charged tiles BEFORE doing damage with redflag.png , making so those few tiles also deal the damage bonus on her redflag.png .

I think you mean that if there were fewer than 5, she creates them THEN does damage.

Has anyone changed her to 3/5/5 for PVE? As a damage sponge plus able to deal with countdowns....
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MarvelMan wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    I was just thinking, what if they tweaked her a bit to make her better but without making her a powerhouse again? My idea is to make her redflag.png work in two ways: if it is the first thing you use (and you shouldnt be doing this), it deals damage and creates the charged tiles; but if there are alredy 5 or more (and this is important as it is the number of tiles made by max level blueflag.png or after at least two uses of her powers) then she instead creates the charged tiles BEFORE doing damage with redflag.png , making so those few tiles also deal the damage bonus on her redflag.png .

I think you mean that if there were fewer than 5, she creates them THEN does damage.

Has anyone changed her to 3/5/5 for PVE? As a damage sponge plus able to deal with countdowns....

Yellow is garbage, you're better off just downing them with red and blue. Yellow is too expensive and doesn't do enough for its cost. Its damage is so low its not even proccing Anger on a 290 Hulk.