**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) ****

JamieMadrox
JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in Character Details
[anchor=thor4]Thor (Goddess of Thunder)[/anchor] icon_thor.png
4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 17262 Tile damage: 73/82/64/10/11/11/3.5
    Smite - Red 10 AP redtile.png
    The gathering lightning strikes Mjolnir as Thor brings the hammer down onto her enemy. Deals 630 damage to the enemy and an additional 137 damage for each Charged tile on the board.
      Level 2: Deals 886 damage plus 183 per charged tile. Level 3: Deals 1023 damage plus 219 per charged tile. Makes 1 charged tile. Level 4: Deals 1324 damage plus 292 per charged tile. Makes 2 charged tiles. Level 5: Deals 2027 damage plus 365 per charged tile. Makes 3 charged tiles.
    MAX Level 5: Deals 4025 damage plus 725 per charged tile. Makes 3 charged tiles.
      Striking Distance - Yellow 12 AP yellowtile.png
      Thor flings Mjolnir at an impossible speed towards her enemies, the impact dashing their plan of attack. Deals 356 damage to the enemy team and converts 1 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tile into a charged tile.
        Level 2: Deals 402 team damage. Turns 2 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles Level 3: Deals 402 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles Level 4: Deals 739 team damage. Turns 3 enemy Strike, Protect, or Attack tiles into charged tiles Level 5: Deals 1086 team damage. Turns 3 Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.
      MAX Level 5: Deals 2157 team damage. Turns 3 Strike, Protect, Attack, or Countdown tiles into charged tiles.
        Power Surge - Blue 9 AP bluetile.png
        Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 2 random Red, Blue, or Yellow basic tiles into Charged tiles.
          Level 2 - Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 3 charged tiles. Level 3: Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 4 charged tiles. Level 4: Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 4 charged tiles. Level 5: Stuns for 3 turns. Makes 5 charged tiles.

Last Major Update: 2015-03 / Earlier Discussion

Original post:
        Updated topic post with current power-set for changes made on March 23, 2015.
        Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• She's dead, Jim
        • Raffoon
          Raffoon Posts: 884
          Nerfs are live. Game just got a lot less fun icon_e_sad.gif
        • Arondite
          Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
          Raffoon wrote:
          Nerfs are live. Game just got a lot less fun icon_e_sad.gif

Odd, it's been more enjoyable for me.
        • Clamoe100
          Clamoe100 Posts: 53
          Yup. They killed her. There is a BIG difference in her playability. I am someone that has spent money on this game. I never will again. It's obvious they nerfed her so players would spend money for the next hot character. I suppose X-Force is next. They say you get what you pay for. In this case, not so. Now many would argue about all I got for having a powered up and fully functional Goddess for a few months, but to me, I paid for a character and now it's taken away. To any that would consider spending a dime on this game I say " buyer beware"....you may end up with nothing to show for it.
        • Clamoe100 wrote:
          Yup. They killed her. There is a BIG difference in her playability. I am someone that has spent money on this game. I never will again. It's obvious they nerfed her so players would spend money for the next hot character. I suppose X-Force is next. They say you get what you pay for. In this case, not so. Now many would argue about all I got for having a powered up and fully functional Goddess for a few months, but to me, I paid for a character and now it's taken away. To any that would consider spending a dime on this game I say " buyer beware"....you may end up with nothing to show for it.

Sadly, I agree with this sentiment. Therf's playability went way down.

You can have a lot of fun with this game, and ironically the enjoyment goes up as your money invested goes down -- maximal enjoyment being free 2 play. Investing money for purposes of ascending the power curve is a recipe for heartbreak and monetary loss. It's sad such a good game is incompatible with my happiness to put money into it to support it. It's the best F2P game I've ever seen.
        • Raffoon wrote:
          So far, 2 of 28 votes are for what the devs are actually doing...... pretty sad icon_e_sad.gif

Chances are if you check their rosters if you could, neither of them have 4thor. And to top that off the poll has way too many votes per person
        • What if we disassociated the stun from the charge tile generation? Let power surge keep 9-12 charge tiles, but make that all that it does. Move the stun to yellow or something.

A cost 4 4turn stun with charge tiles makes the last opponent a function of time, not risk. Let her keep her power but give the opponent a chance to fight back. Plus if yellow gains the stun, people might actually debate what the best build for her is and consider yellow worthy.
        • simonsez
          simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
          Well, the good thing is that they'll fix her quick once they see no one's using her anymore. Like when the nerfs on Sentry and Spidey went way too far... ummmm... no wait, they'll fix her because they can't have 4*s that suck that no one wants to use... ummmm... ah fk it, we're screwed...
        • ayatorahxephon
          ayatorahxephon Posts: 94 Match Maker
          too bad the developers don't give a damn about our opinion. the 4nerf thor is really really bad. Don't deserve a title as a legendary. the game is really boring and insecure
        • Polares
          Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
          Power surge as an accelerator is dead because in general you are collecting red and blue, but allmost all power charges created are yellow. With the nerf Power Surge always charges the tiles you don't need because you are collecting the colors you need and then you leave a bigger number of tiles of the color you don't need in the board, before It was biased to this color but because you were creating 12 tiles this was not that important. Now Power Surge doesn't accelerate any of the abilities you need to use. I have used Power Surge more than 20 times and in general it generally creates 3 yellow, 1 blue and 1 red (because I am using Power Surge and Smite). So one Power Surge doesn't help me to get another Smite or Power Surge. And It is going to be the same for 3/5/5 or 5/5/3, it is going to geneate more tiles for the one color where you have 3 covers.

Please Devs, this is clearly too much, I know you are not going to listen, but raise the number to at least 7 icon_e_sad.gif
        • Polares
          Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
          As I said in another post : (yeah I am cheap icon_razz.gif)

Well, the devs said wait until you have played with the new versions and now I have played with the new 4hor and I have to say that she is now just good, she has lost her spark, and now a lot of other chars are far better (the list is long XForce, 3* Thor, BP, IF, Captain America, Cyclops, Luke Cage, Fury, DevilDino, Hood, Loki and Daken are clearly better and some others are better for some type of event like ProfX, Falcon or Blade). Her only advantage is her number of hps, she will still be used as a tank because a lot of us have already invested into her.

Now you need to use two Power Surges or one Power Surge and two Smites to really do some damage. Her only advantage is that in the long run, in long matches, she can still do some damage (in Deadpool survival node is where she has been most useful), but in PvP you need to be fast and she no longer is, so now she is clearly a PvE char.

But the worst of all is that now, because you are collecting red and blue, allmost all power charges created are yellow, AND THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM. With the nerf Power Surge always charges the tiles you don't need because you are collecting the colors you need and then you leave a bigger number of tiles of the color you don't need in the board, before It was biased to this color but because you were creating 12 tiles this was not that important. Now Power Surge doesn't accelerate any of the abilities you need to use. I have used Power Surge more than 20 times and in general it generally creates 3 yellow, 1 blue and 1 red (because I am using Power Surge and Smite). So one Power Surge doesn't help me to get another Smite or Power Surge. And It is going to be the same for 3/5/5 or 5/5/3, it is going to geneate more tiles for the one color where you have 3 covers.

Please Devs, this is clearly too much, I know you are not going to listen, but raise the number to at least 7 icon_e_sad.gif

PS: I have already invested into her, but for people who still doesn't have her covered or leveled, don't do it, she is no longer worth the work or iso
        • Phaserhawk
          Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
          yeah, she defintely lost a lot of power. I used to be able to power surge Thor and Smite X-Force, now X-Force still has close to 3k worth of health left.

Final Summation.

Overnerf.

She needs to be creating 8 charged tiles

Ragnarok needs to be creating 5

I really, really hope they quickly buff these 2 because currently they are very weak, Rags especially.

I do like the 3 turn stun nerf though,that actually feels right, 4 was just ridicuolous, powerful and helpful, but too much.
        • Trisul
          Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
          She's much weaker than she was against big HP targets. But she's my only viable partner for XF at the moment, so I've been using her a lot in this past PvP.

For my situation, she's still really good. (Of course, perhaps if I had more leveled alternatives I could better judge if she starts or gets the bench for the vets.)

I've had to XF or SS big targets to get them in range for 4hor combo. Since blue --> red doesn't one-shot big targets anymore, I generally save it until there's a decent amount of blue and red on the board. But 10 charged tiles on the board still leave decent amount of acceleration options. You actually have to consider the state of the board (gasp).

The stun is still amazing, you basically guaranteed the win when one opponent is left.
        • You could always collect the 9 blue, wait for a more blue board, and then use it. Which devalues the stun ability portion.

I only voted for one option because that's all I assumed I could vote for. The poll is useless if you allow so many selections.

I really like KrazyKeylime's idea of just adding damage to Power Surge. At 5 covers I would have it to 3 turn stun 6 charge tiles and ~3000 damage. Then it is less important that you are generating more yellow than not yellow tiles since you've recovered a bit of damage anyway.
        • Unknown
          edited March 2015
          It's time. I was one of the minority that agreed with MPQ balancing 4or because she was OP. However, I also told people I would join the push to buff 4or if the changes did not work as promised. I tried her, and she is not good enough. Fury, SL, and xforce are heads and shoulders above her.

4or is now more on par with dino, who is supposed to be a novelty. When you compare health and damage per ap, this is the best comparison.

The problem is determining how strong she needs to be. She does not need a major boost to reach the same level as other 4*'s, but at the same time, she is clearly not good enough the way she is.

MPQ seems to view producing charged tiles as a primary ability, and not just the byproduct of using her abilities. The value tied between charged tiles and her attack is where the disconnect is. Honestly, charged tiles after PS feels like finding Waldo right now.

And I'll say this, I do not want to wait like Sentry or IW in terms of the buff being implemented. Please, take the time to tweak her. I'm no math expert, but PS making 7 or 8 charged tiles should provide the balance MPQ was originally looking for.

TL; DR: original 4or was not balanced for 4* tier because she was OP. Post-season 4or is still not balanced for 4* tier because she is UP.

Edit 1 - Decided to correct my phone's auto-corrections.

Edit 2 - Comparative Analysis

4or Blue 10 AP - 3 turn stun; 5 Charged Tiles (the tiles power up her Smite, but allows either team to match for greater damage and triple AP (only red, blue, and yellow).
          SL Yellow - 7 AP - lowers all ability cost (except for black) by 2. Cheaper and has similar effect of charged tiles, but only for user and only for more than just red, blue, and yellow
          Fury - Yellow - 12 AP (with appropriate colors, which players will usually have 4 of 5 at least) - 3 turn stun; 2 critical tiles, creates two 163 strength Protect tiles, deals 2720 damage to one character, and 1360 AOE.

Winner - Fury. Not a significant difference between SL and 4or.

4or Yellow 12 AP - Deals 2157 AOE and converts 3 special tiles into charged tiles.
          Fury Purple 12 AP - 3809 damage, 2 turn CD stealing 3-9 AP, and 634 strike tile
          SL Purple - 10 AP - Replace any tile; 4973 damage to character and 1451 aoe

Winner - SL Puprle; 2nd - Fury Purple; Last - 4or Yellow

4or Red 10 AP - 4025 damage plus 725 per charged tile; makes 3 charged tiles.
          Fury Blue 10 AP - 10,535 to one character if matched by AI with all traps still there; 10,535 twice if two traps matched at once
          SL Red 8 AP - Random placement - AI Red, Yellow, Green, Black and Blue ability costs increased by 2; 6998 at end of CD

This is the hardest one since the damage for Fury and SL are situational to various degrees. If not taken into account, Fury and SL would easily be 1st and 2nd. Taken into account, you would say it's a three way tie at best.

Regardless if one agrees with the ranking of abilities, StarLord and and Fury are supposed to be support type characters; however, ability wise, they are just as strong or stronger in inflicting damage than 4or who is supposed to be a tank-attacker type of character.

I'll reiterate one last time. 4or does not need a huge buff back to where she used to be; however, she should at least be on the same level as Fury and StarLord ability wise.
        • I propose we ask for the metrics on how many times goddess is used in the pvp pre nerf and post nerf, and if they consider it fair that a maxed goddess be redeemable for the price of one of her covers.
        • JamieMadrox
          JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
          Also yellow could be fixed too. If you want to balance her then make it an ability that people will WANT to use. Rather than making yet another character with two obvious choices for 5 cover abilities, make one where any combination of 4 and 5 covers is viable in the game.
        • I should have put in OP. Her other skills are nice. But at the end of the day, 4or should be able to kick tiny kitty. The priority should be to allow her to inflict top 4* tier damage, then fit in other abilities for her. She is still Thor. Just because she's female doesn't mean she should have black widow skill set with tank health.
        • While I agree she needs more damage, damage is not the only thing about her. The charge tiles were a bit much, I've conceded this fact a few times arguing for a lesser nerf. I mean just the jump from 7 to 12 for 5 covers was crazy strong. Now I think they've gone too far the other way, over weighting their creation in terms of power balance. It's not like a tile placement power where casting it results in an instant AP gain, it just makes the board more AP rich and then you have to collect it. I agree she needs more damage, but I'm not sure more charge tiles is the way to do it.

Here is what I would do: Change Power Surge so that at 5 covers you get 3 turn stun, 6 charge tiles, ~3,000 damage. It's always bugged me that 4Thor had a non damaging power to begin with, I just got use to it since Power Smite was a thing. Now it's much less a thing, and someone mentioned why not just put the missing charge tiles damage directly onto Power Surge and I instantly loved the idea. That's it. One change, and her damage becomes reasonable, not crazy or sustainable levels of 10k damage for 10 red but able to go Power Smite for ~10k damage still.

Also also wik, why would Thor kick the kitties? That's just mean. Also **** isn't on the list so she is free to kick ****.
        • Also yellow could be fixed too. If you want to balance her then make it an ability that people will WANT to use. Rather than making yet another character with two obvious choices for 5 cover abilities, make one where any combination of 4 and 5 covers is viable in the game.

Given her current skill set I've seriously contemplated a 5/5/3 build so.... take that for what you will. Yellow could use more damage, because conditional charge tiles are conditional, but it's technically not a BAD power. Power Surge into Smite was just more reliable.