** Hawkeye (Modern) **

Comments

• MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    yeah im not really seeing much good out of these changes other than the cheaper cost + placement on blue/red, they gutted the hell out of the blue and the new purple passive is junky and gimmicky. yeah yeah purple can do 3788 if all 4 go off but its really not reliable enough to me for something that requires a 5 match to happen, I'd rather keep avoid for a defensive passive.

if these are going to be the changes then i'm going to toss him in the trash, hawkeye was at least moderately scary and cool with avoid keeping him from being targeted right away and the threat of a blue arrow slamming one of your guys for 2456 and stunning them or a red arrow really denting your whole team for 4935 total damage. now if I ever see him in a PvP team i'm not hesitating even a little bit because i'm going to turn his face inside out before he can do anything (not there would be much he could do with the new junk).

not happy with the changes and think he will be overall weaker and quickly forgotten for ISO fuel once again for better 2 star choices, we just needed the 1 cost cheaper red/blue +placement and he would of been just fine for 2 star.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple is laughable. I may get a 5-match maybe once a month, and so this passive ability will RARELY trigger..
    if that's true... I'm sorry but you are just bad at the core game here. I tend to get at least one match-5 per match.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    DayvBang wrote:
    Purple is laughable. I may get a 5-match maybe once a month, and so this passive ability will RARELY trigger..
    if that's true... I'm sorry but you are just bad at the core game here. I tend to get at least one match-5 per match.
    I don't believe him either but was that petty jab really necessary?
  • I sorta liked him better before. If he could target special tiles this would be good. As it is now I don't really like how they nerfed his blue and his purple will rarely go off, plus the reduction of damage on his red was unnecessary.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I appreciate seeing changes before they go live, and I don't think any input we have on these will make a difference. I thought I'd put in two cents about this one anyway. He's a 2* and less talked about (less used I suppose).

Previously in purple: Hawkeye was the first 2* I had maxed, and really helped me get the rest of the 2*'s. I found I could hide him behind the given character in PVP, allowing that character to take all damage first and getting me to the 400/500 point level I needed to get those 2* covers at the time. Even now, it would allow a player to keep playing without taking to much damage - he was a nice 2* possibility. I never found it a confusing mechanic, rather it taught me how placement of characters (who tanks for who) mattered! Future: He won't allow players to play more by taking no damage, so he'll see much less play. I know he has more health - but not enough for this non-hiding to matter.

Previously in red: I still see Hawkeye hiding behind Hulk or Daken as a defensive team in the PVP's (especially current), and it crosses my mind how he's going to be a pain by possibly hitting my team for a fair amount of damage with a red countdown. If the matchup isn't worth much, I often won't bother. Future: I don't think I'll ever see him as a defensive possibility again, as he can't hide. The red is much less effective defensively (less damage, same poor placement), and not as good of an option offensively.

Previously in blue: I still use Hawkeye occasionally as a Hulk or Storm buster. They can't retaliate when I stun them, it stuns them for a long time, and that massive damage takes out the most dangerous option quickly. Future: the stun isn't as long, but the missing damage is a huge downside. The purple "offset" with potential damage isn't worth the loss of the guaranteed blue damage, and the lowered red damage. The storm Stun is the only viable stun left for 2*'s (if Moonstone's cost was halved it might be effective), which was a reason I still occasionally played Hawkeye.

I was playing Hawkeye in one of the heroics recently and just had to stop, he was so worthless. I kept thinking: if only the cost was 9 for Blue/Red, he would be really nice. I like that change! I also like targeting! If both (or maybe either) of those changes had been made and the character was left alone, I think he would be a nice option for a viable 2* to be played. As is I agree with many others: this was not a buff, it was a horizontal move. He was a middling option before, and it's a shame that the good mechanics were discarded while keeping it a poor option for offense, and a worse option than before for defense.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I would welcome a 3* Hawkeye if as you said he could place tiles and nothing else, but that would essential just be another version of Captain America, so I have a feeling they will do a little bit more with him. My thought is they will allow tile placement but there will be no CD tiles, but his dmg goes way down.

I think it's more likely that he would only be able to target any Basic color tile, not like Cap who is a wonderful counter to overwrite special tiles. The other factor to consider is that Hawkeye has his damage coming from when the countdown tile goes off, Cap's damage (or effect in Blue) is up-front for lower power but IF it goes off recovers almost enough AP to recast.
  • DayvBang wrote:

Yes?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I was playing Hawkeye in one of the heroics recently and just had to stop, he was so worthless. I kept thinking: if only the cost was 9 for Blue/Red, he would be really nice. I like that change! I also like targeting! If both (or maybe either) of those changes had been made and the character was left alone, I think he would be a nice option for a viable 2* to be played. As is I agree with many others: this was not a buff, it was a horizontal move. He was a middling option before, and it's a shame that the good mechanics were discarded while keeping it a poor option for offense, and a worse option than before for defense.

I honestly don't believe the development reasons given for changing his purple and blue. bare with me as I put my tinfoil hat on but what I think happened was during testing of his new cost red/blue + selectable placement he must of been railing stuff hard to the point where he was lowering the need to use health packs or something.

when you read the changes to them it really doesn't make sense:
    -so wait you made my stun arrow with the tasty close to adamantium claw damage (eh like 400ish damage off from it)...lose the sweet damage for AP reduction because it can function now, huh?

-wait what, you're taking away my nice defensive passive with pretty reliable conditions that kept people from blowing my face up right away so my countdown timer abilities can actually happen so i can have....this funky countdown timer damage passive...ew
  • IceIX wrote:
    And Hawkeye firing "randomly" just isn't a thing that happens.
      Electric Arrow - Blue 9 AP Hawkeye fires an arrow that delivers a high-voltage electric shock when it hits. Changes a chosen basic Blue tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile. When it activates, stuns the target for 2 turns and reduces enemy AP in a
    random color by 4.

Then lose the random. Enemy loses strongest ap color or highest quantity ap color.
  • IceIX wrote:
    but since he's got a Blue color strength, you may as well use Storm for her better Blue AoE. which also locks off his nicely damaging Electric Arrow because you'll use that Blue to stun and damage the whole enemy team instead of a nasty shock to one enemy instead.

However, we also want to keep Hawkeye out of the line of fire while still allowing him to shoot from the back,

Since storm is the better stunner, and you want Hawkeye to not get hit, then make the blue the "avoid" ability. He will have 2 passives, which I know sounds bad for Hawkeye at first, BUT......

Red gives him a damage arrow.....totally Hawkeye

Blue give his speed dodging.......totally Hawkeye

Purple gives him the precision flavor.....(nail a match 5 for uber damage hawkeye style)

So although he would have 2 passives, he would still have 2 skills doing damage.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only given this topic a brief skim read past the first page and didn't see it mentioned, so here's my thoughts:

I agree that this does feel more like a sideways shift rather than a complete outright buff. As a result, I can't help but feel that this is paving the way for an eventual Lazy Hawkeye. Otheriwse, not surprised to see Blue lose the damage. In the 2* tier, there are only 2 or 3 characters that you're going to be able to stun after that much damage. Red is still nothing special, especially compared to the new Purple.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    It wasn't nice, but it wasn't meant as a petty jab. It was meant as a counterpoint, saying that he's seriously underestimating the usefulness of the new purple.
  • DayvBang wrote:

I'm sorry that you felt the need to attack me personally, considering that I'm a commander of a top 100 alliance (top 50 in pve/pvp this season so far) and I actually know how to play the game and enjoy experimenting w/ various teams and styles of play.

All I did was make the observation that I haven't been getting 5 matches frequently. I get plenty of 4 matches. I get plenty of "Ls" and extra turns. I get double 3 color matches. Unfortunately, lady luck has not blessed me w/ five single color matches. Not getting 5 matches of a single color has zero bearing on my skills as a player. Please learn to distinguish between luck and skill icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • DayvBang wrote:

I'm sorry that you felt the need to attack me personally, considering that I'm a commander of a top 100 alliance (top 50 in pve/pvp this season so far) and I actually know how to play the game and enjoy experimenting w/ various teams and styles of play.

All I did was make the observation that I haven't been getting 5 matches frequently. I get plenty of 4 matches. I get plenty of "Ls" and extra turns. I get double 3 color matches. Unfortunately, lady luck has not blessed me w/ five single color matches. Not getting 5 matches of a single color has zero bearing on my skills as a player. Please learn to distinguish between luck and skill icon_e_ugeek.gif
    The Ls are match 5s. They don't have to be in a straight line, as long as you get the critical tile it counts
  • DayvBang wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    It wasn't nice, but it wasn't meant as a petty jab. It was meant as a counterpoint, saying that he's seriously underestimating the usefulness of the new purple.

I certainly took it as a jab. And no, I am not underestimating the usefulness of new purple. You and I obviously disagree how on how easy this ability is to set off. So let's do this instead---the next time you make MHawk's new purple passive ability go off, please post a link to a youtube video here. Let's see how long it takes for a super duper skilled 5 match gamer to actually accomplish this feat. Let us bow before your 5 match awesomeness! icon_twisted.gif
  • Typhon13 wrote:
    The Ls are match 5s. They don't have to be in a straight line, as long as you get the critical tile it counts

Does the issue of making 5 matches justify being attacked personally? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I'm just so glad they improved his passive move, avoiding damage when it takes him a while to deal it out with his countdowns. Not my fav character but might rank him up more now
  • Typhon13 wrote:

Does the issue of making 5 matches justify being attacked personally? icon_rolleyes.gif
    No, I was just pointing something out. From your post you made it seem as if you didn't know that. I don't want any part of the catfight going on.
  • Meh. Shocking as it may be, I actually liked Hawkeye as he was. His red ability dealt a lot of damage, and having him on 5/5/3 meant the tile rarely got cleared by my opponent. I also liked the stun / damage combo of his blue ability. This way he's my go-to character whenever I don't have Storm with me. And his purple made him the one character I could use multiple rounds without wasting health packs. (Side node: I am almost convinced this is exactly why his purple ability was changed.)
    Now I probably won't use him anymore unless I have to. I can't see him being useful unless combined with Magneto, and I only pair Mags and Storm - meaning they'll usually both be low on health at the same time = non-playable for a while. Too bad I don't have any other blue/purple damage dealing character to play. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Unknown
    edited September 2014
    I've had time to think about it now. I'm not sure this was a buff, aside from choosing placement of the arrows and lowering of AP costs.

The blue went from having an awesome stun and damage to a weaker stun and the enemy loses AP. Winner previous blue.

The red at max does less damage, but with placement shoud go off more often. Winner current red.

Purple went from avoid to damage when you make a mtach 5 or larger. Went from an avoid that was pretty much active every turn, to a damage inflicter that barely gets activated. Many lower rosters would use his purple with daken to be able to play well in PVP. This ability is now totally gone. Winner previous puple.

To me, at the least, it's a draw. The reason is because although the AP cost went down and players can now place the tiles (which is how it should have been to begin with), the blue is weaker and the purple is going to be rare to activate. I think the blue either needs to deal damage or "steal" AP from the enemy for this to be a buff overall. I think if the blue stole AP he would be much more useful. I'm not sure why he does not. We're not talking about a lot of AP, and the AP color is random

FYI - The update has not gone through, it's not too late to do a minor tweak *hint, hint*.

Edit - Red less damage.