** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) **

Options

Comments

• ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He was worth 350 HP at level 62. If I drop a few covers in PVP before the "refund" I'll level him up to 25 or so and sell him again (for 100, or whatever it is).

I'm excited to level him up again because he's one of the more enjoyable characters that I never used during the 2* tier... he'll be fun to use at 190 in the new PvP format.
  • daibar wrote:
    After polarity shift, I generally have enough for a windstorm but not 2. MNMags/CStorm is still usable, but not as OP as before. The red generation has made him decently useful with other characters including 3*s.

I've been putting in work on SHIELD and in the DP Daily with MNMags/CStorm/Ares. With the red tile generation of of Polarity, I now have a clean-up sweep for the 1900-2700 hp crowd the CStorm would miss on her own.
  • I sold MMN. I'll update here if I regret it later. My calculation is that 34k ISO + 550HP + ~800HP cost for the next roster slot sets his market value for me around 34k ISO and 1350HP.

He was a niche character for Storm/Mags (I never relied on winfinite) this being diminished, he is now a "nice to have character" in a roster. Also, I've gone more casual and only play PVE for fun. MMN is not and I'm wagering not likely to become a top tier in PVP.

The future is set: The character release train will keep rolling increasingly diminishing the value of his marginal utility and other niche/"nice to have" chars for the foreseeable future. His covers can be regained with relatively negligible effort. So for me, he is increasingly becoming a luxury item in an increasingly contracting economy of roster slots and HP, and now that I've gone F2P, he's a goner. And he's not the first, and won't be the last. Another 4-5 chars are on the chopping block (TU chars, duplicates, non-essential 1*/2*).

Thanks for the memories MMN, a hail and farewell. Maybe we'll cross paths again one day. Until then, I will be stomping you in any node we happen to cross paths.
  • I like this update to him. His purple now works well at feeding Moonstone for that added damage for her red and Cyclops for that extra damage trigger on his black. And if you're in the mood for epic Goon-Pounding...Hood and MNMags is great for that instantaneous Magnetic Flux 'sound-off'.
  • With the recent nerf on him, is there a new better build for 2* Mags or is 3-5-5 still the preferred build?
  • The Gunslinger
    Options
    dw316 wrote:
    With the recent nerf on him, is there a new better build for 2* Mags or is 3-5-5 still the preferred build?
    It still has to be 3/5/5. As others have pointed out, this really didn't turn out to be a nerf, just an update. Polarity Shift is still his best power, and there are definitely better blues to use in 2* land (Wind Storm, Anti-Gravity Device, Chemical Reaction w/ attack tiles). This didn't change my build for him at all.

That being said, it had been so long since I've seen an Iron Hammer with 5 covers that I completely forgot it wiped the entire board. I was quite surprised when I was hit with one during the gauntlet. That could be useful in niche situations.
  • Brochacho wrote:
    I like this update to him. His purple now works well at feeding Moonstone for that added damage for her red and Cyclops for that extra damage trigger on his black. And if you're in the mood for epic Goon-Pounding...Hood and MNMags is great for that instantaneous Magnetic Flux 'sound-off'.

Was going to downvote you but seeing you say moonstone and your sig, it's obvious it was a trap
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    What do you guys think about comparing OBW to MNM?
    1) As long as OBW tanks, she will accelerate your blue/purple if your opponent has any AP in those colours.
    2) For 8 Purple, she can steal 3 of each colour.
    I have ended up selling my MNM for the HP, and was initially going to rebuild him, but now I feel like getting him back is marginally at best (as I have transitioned to 3*)
  • It's the "As long as she tanks" that is hard for OBW. In 2* land she's great. In 3* land she will almost always only tank Purple, which you want for 2 match Agg Recon, but her health is bad.

MNM has advantage in that he accelerates blue much faster than any other character, even now. I plan on selling mine after I see the layout on the new PvE, but I will rebuild him.
  • mpiter
    mpiter Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    The MagStorm combo still seems very effective to me for long fights in PVE. I have used it for a while since Mag update with Mag at 3/5/5. I can often trigger red soon after purple despite the 14 cost. Then the 9 to 25 AP generation is often sufficient to trigger Storm's green for more AP generation for purple and red. Having those 3 AP generators can usually start a fast succession of attacks that quickly end the fight. Even when Strom is down, Mag can end a fight alone with his purple/red combo.

The main drawback I have experienced since Mag update is against characters that can increase counters and prevent his red counter to trigger. Beside that weakness I am still happy with Mag today. Of course, he is still a very poor defender because the AI cannot properly exploit Polarity Shift. But I think he is still an efficient fighter in PVE.
  • I am new to the boards and have a quick question about Magneto. why is it that my level 94 magneto sells for 34,000 ISO And 550 hero points but all of my other level 94s only 12500 ISO and no hero points?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    J3NN3R wrote:
    I am new to the boards and have a quick question about Magneto. why is it that my level 94 magneto sells for 34,000 ISO And 550 hero points but all of my other level 94s only 12500 ISO and no hero points?
    They only offer HP buybacks when they change a character
  • Understood. Thank you kind sir.
  • I'm finding MNMags new polarity shift much harder to use. Instead of looking for a board that's optimized on blue placement, now I'm waiting on a board that has both decent red and blue placement so I can do more than just feed the enemy red. AP generation is about half what it used to be.

I'm trying to find teams where red is not a priority color (so I can leave it on board) and yet is useful, but that's a little hard to do with 2* combinations. I'm ready to classify this change as a pretty hard nerf, even if it does up his compatibility with red users. The change has moved him from being lower top-tier 2* to lower mid-tier 2* for me.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm finding the opposite. I love the change, it has made him a stronger stand alone character as you can generate red on a faster basis. I've been doing Polarity Shift's into Storm and dropping a red CD tile. If you don't get enough blue many times you get enough red to drop the tile and get the rest of the AP you need from that. Purple feeds red which feeds purple again, it's very nice.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm finding the opposite. I love the change, it has made him a stronger stand alone character as you can generate red on a faster basis. I've been doing Polarity Shift's into Storm and dropping a red CD tile. If you don't get enough blue many times you get enough red to drop the tile and get the rest of the AP you need from that. Purple feeds red which feeds purple again, it's very nice.

He can't be a standalone character till his red gets placable and blue is non-trash
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I used magneto ONLY for StormNeto, should I still use him
    Or nah?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm a little confused by the wiki for 2* Magneto. It says that he creates 4 red tiles at level 3, but that at level four he changes 3 selected tiles to blue and creates 3 random reds. At level 5, I know because that's where my Polarity Shift was, he changes 3 to blue and creates 5 random reds. I had guessed that the level 4 description was a typo, and that it was actually change 3 tiles to blue and create 4 random reds (adding the extra blue).

Got a magnetic flux cover, respec'ed to 5/4/4 from 5/5/3, and...nope, the wiki description for level 4 was accurate.

So what's going on at level 3, then?

And on a tangent, when you opt to trade levels, the displayed text still only shows you what you're dropping from, not what you're dropping to. You're trading blind if you don't use the wiki or another source. Is there any way we can get a change to that so when level trading is going on, we know exactly what we're in for? I might have kept that level of polarity shift if I had realized that, nope, not a typo.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    If I used magneto ONLY for StormNeto, should I still use him
    Or nah?

It's less of a derp team, but it's more consistent imo. You're not going to double Windstorm anytime soon (except maybe in Survival Nodes), but with Magnetic Flux and Lightning Storm keeping the board fresh, it seems to be relatively easy to keep the singular Wind Storm part going while dishing out some really good targeted damage.

The way I see it now, Stormneto has a standalone (as in PvP) is probably pretty lackluster, and is likely overshadowed now by Ares/oBW or Wolverine/Daken, however, I still think they can make a powerful trio in PvE with some other folks.

Hawkeye plays about the same - Polarity Shift into Speed Shot, Hawkeye covers Purple for Magneto, and his Red is useful in some situations (maybe even moreso now).

Daken tanks Purple for Mags (and covers black so he can meat shield), so that makes the team a lot more sustainable. Strike Tiles aren't really a go-to for this team, but they're certainly nice, but Chemical Reaction can be pretty clutch sometimes. The biggest issue here being the lack of active abilities.

Thor is my favorite right now. Polarity Shift is now a battery for Mjolnir's Might and Windstorm. Great team for Survival Nodes, since you can just save up Green and Blue and nuke the Hell out of the character waves with Windstorm and/or Call of the Storm. Thor also brings along some much needed meat, while tanking Red for Magneto and Yellow for Storm. The best thing, though, imo, is that Thor is an island. What I mean by this is that is he self-sustaining and capable of pulling a match by himself if Mags and Storm die.

One other person I wanna try but haven't yet as Ares. He'll cover Green and Yellow for Storm (while Blue is being covered by Magneto, so she's completely safe) and cover Red for Mageneto (so he's only on Purple and Blue). The problem with Ares (and Thor) is the color overlap, but generally speaking, I just think of it as flexibility, since the only color not covered with an active ability is Black. I almost want to think of this has a more direct version of Hawkeye, since Ares' Red is an AoE, so you still have that on the table, but you're exchanging Speed Shot for Onslaught (which, granted, might be outclassed by Lightning Storm in this team comp) and Sunder.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The easiest thing to do since you're on the forums is just to check the Character Discussions sub-forum here; viewforum.php?f=14

But I agree, it's pretty unintuitive to show just what the ability does now when potentially downgrading it for another.