** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) **

Options

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    smoq84 wrote:
    Stormneto could work better with Ragnarok:
    Polarity Shift creates 3 Blue & 5 Red then 6xRed AP makes Thunderclap which creates another 4 Blue.

Exactly! I was agnostic on the MMN changes. I wanted to see how they played. I used Stormneto on the Rags essentials in the Gauntlet, and was like, oh, wait, this is awesome. Plus, MMN's red has long been underrated. When the enemy is stunned, or they're just goons, or you can use Hood. . . it's very, very good.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've used his new polarity exactly 10 times, I have gotten match 5's from his red every single time. Apparently mine must be coded, place all red tiles next to other red tiles.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MMN also now has good synergy with other red users thanks to the random red tiles.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wait!!! You don't need 5(!) placed tiles to create a match-5!?! Futile as it was, many people argued these points (including Miles) many times last week.
  • no one will believe anything until given the chance to test drive it apparently
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My MNMags is 4/5/4 (I like the cheaper red), but with all this red generation it probably makes 5 in red better now than 4.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait!!! You don't need 5(!) placed tiles to create a match-5!?! Futile as it was, many people argued these points (including Miles) many times last week.

Well, you'll need to wait for a better board sometimes if you're depending on those match 5s - three is almost always enough but you need two tiles close together. Heck, back before they nerfed CMags he could turn any three blue tiles close together to a match 5. You're definitely generating a lot less blue, though - unless you get ridiculously lucky you're never going to get two "wind storms" out of it.

On the flip side, MnMags is now one of the two characters who create red, so that's something. The other being "look at my butt" Cyclops.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options

I've been doing 5-match w/ CapA's liberty shield for the longest time, so I already knew 3 select tiles can still give you 5-match if you're lucky. icon_e_ugeek.gif

The problem is that most players don't have a full, every-in-game-characters roster like me, and haven't experienced many styles of play. Hence, they lack the insight to new possibilities.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    On the flip side, MnMags is now one of the two characters who create red, so that's something. The other being "look at my butt" Cyclops.

Speaking of Cyclops, when Combined Arms comes around again and you need to field a team of 1, 2, 3 stars, a really enticing combo now is 1* jug, 2* mnmag, and 3* cyclops. That's a rainbow team w/ heavy red tile generation for major red damage from every team member. icon_cool.gif
  • People gain insight into new possibilities by trying stuff. They will try stuff, and either find new strategies...or ragequit(?) I dunno what the second choice is really. Never underestimate a mob's ability to figure out and optimize a system with enough time to test it out. It may alter past combos but thankfully they haven't killed him completely, and we now have an new red generator to try to break the system with.
  • puppychow wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

Speaking of Cyclops, when Combined Arms comes around again and you need to field a team of 1, 2, 3 stars, a really enticing combo now is 1* jug, 2* mnmag, and 3* cyclops. That's a rainbow team w/ heavy red tile generation for major red damage from every team member. icon_cool.gif

I was thinking daredevil, cyclops, mnMags. Drop ambush, flood board with red, match the trap a few times and you have enough to drop another one and things get really silly if you can get it going.
  • With this new nerf, just from reading what has been posted "hawkeye" seems to be at more value now, and here I was putting him last to level up in my level 94 core teams of 2* heros, which for me is OBW/Ares/Thor/ Daken, and Wolvie.

I guess my next priority will be Mmags/Cstorm/Hawkeye to level up to 94 and then proceed with the last 2* teams which are Cap Amer/ Johnny/ Ms Marvel. Thanks for all the tips in here.

I still use Stormneto, but I find it really depends if the board is in your favor a lot of times. It still works, but I find it more "iffy" and more towards dependent upon what the board will look like, so for me it becomes more upon the situation of how can I manipulate the board if it doesn't help my stormneto. The pre-nerf stormneto addiction is hard to let go. Can someone start a " Pre-nerf Stormneto anonymous" withdrawal thread. icon_lol.gif j/k

Still, it gives me new perspectives on revising my strategies for roster building. I know now I'll never invest real money on characters because they will always be a target for nerfing. Lesson learned, money saved. Even if I take the forever slow route of leveling up or waiting for cover drops, at least I won't get heartbroken if they nerf a character I love. Speaking of which I wonder what would be the tone in here if x-force was nerfed sometime soon...
  • For some reason this makes me sad. Maybe it is because players feel the need to use the same 2* team again and again to beat enemies that their 3* heroes can't defeat. There is something seriously wrong with this game. They should change the scaling to be unaffected by what the community does. If some want to fight 300+ enemies all day, let them. I just don't want to deal with them myself.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    Eh, just tried it with a very pronounced Red board state and it wasn't very good. Does it still work? Yeah, but it's not as strong as it use to be. Sold him and added a new roster slot. I can put him back on as I open him a lot, but I'd rather have an extra roster slot in addition to filling his space up right now.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmmm, what if MagsMN random 5 red tile generation turns one of the existing blue to red - breaking a potential match. Can that happen?

It won't. I made sure.

Does it never convert to red from blue tiles, or is it something more complicated?
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Does it never convert to red from blue tiles, or is it something more complicated?
    From the character update video thread: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25816&start=60#p318736
    DFiPL wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    To clarify, the random Red tiles will never overwrite the Blue tiles you place. Getting a 5-match out of the ability at level 5 is very reliable.

But can they overwrite the other blue tiles you are trying to match with?

Much more succinct way of putting what I was trying to say. Thanks.

No. Only basic Yellow, Green, Purple, Black, and Team-Up tiles have a chance of turning Red.
  • The Gunslinger
    Options
    I've been playing with him a decent amount since the change, and from what I've experienced, a blue has never been changed to a red. It's kind of hard to keep track since the animation gets in the way, but I'm pretty confident blue always stays the same. Polarity Shift is still a really good skill, and it enables more play out of one of the more under-appreciated 2* powers (Magnetic Flux). Thumbs up from me.
  • Would it be worth it to sell my 94 MNmags for the HP and then just rebuild a new one?
  • Would it be worth it to sell my 94 MNmags for the HP and then just rebuild a new one?

Why not just update the skills when you get the appropriate cover?
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Options
    tybayv1 wrote:
    Would it be worth it to sell my 94 MNmags for the HP and then just rebuild a new one?
    This is what I did, it's basically a free roster slot with how often I pull MnMags. Granted I'll have to re-invest Iso, but I'm ok with that. It's easier to get Iso than HP for me anyway.