** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) **

Options

Comments

• They did say it is designed to not do that. I havent seen it in action yet but it shouldn't be hard to make it a two step process so your blues resolve then reds are added. Hopefully they at the very least got this part right...we will see for sure once it is live.

Edit: Here is the quote from the main thread, ironically out of everything this is one of the two questions they actually commented on.
    Hmmm, what if MagsMN random 5 red tile generation turns one of the existing blue to red - breaking a potential match. Can that happen?

It won't. I made sure.
  • I can see several possibilities:
    1. Can blue tiles be overwritten?
    2. Can enemy tiles be overwritten?
    3. Can team-ups be overwritten?
    4. Can friendly tiles be overwritten?

I'm hoping it's only non-blue, non-friendly tiles can get overwritten. (eg, include team-up overwrites). Am assuming by default that red tiles won't get overwritten by new reds, but may be assuming too much.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    it's very simple, he will not change any blue tiles to red. done.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Discussions of this nature are better suited to the character's thread in the "Character Discussion" forum. Please continue to discuss changes to this character at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=501
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see this as more of a lateral move for Magneto, a nerf for Storm and a boost to Hawkeye. Creating three blue tiles is still enough to get you a match 5 on most boards, it just won't collect 11 blue in one go. So Speed Shot synergy is still there, and now the move fuels Blast Arrow too. If you have a good LCap it also accelerates him dramatically, but that won't help 2* players.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New version will fit well with daredevil.

Generates both colors - Helps collecting red and creating match4s can blow up traps, or the red generation too...
  • While I'm unhappy with the proposed change to Magneto, the fact is you're likely to go through with it anyway. However, I'd like to address two issues with the proposed change and offer an alternative.

5 levels of purple = 4 blue tiles which you can select, and 4 red random tiles that change yellow, green and black tiles (or as an alternative replace Team Up tiles).

The reasoning is two fold. Besides all the benefits of building up blue Action Points, controlling the board and Match-5 making, arguable one fundamental value of being able to select tiles to change, is the ability to target Count Down tiles. This is a fundamental defensive strategy of Magneto's that can stop a Grenadier, a Pyro or a Sniper's shot from going off. With the proposed limit of 3 tiles, a player is now forced to rely more so on luck in already having a single blue tile already in place in the row or column in which the CD tile is located.

Secondly, with random red tile creation. The point is self sustaining Magneto's other abilities. But if a purple or blue tiles can be randomly selected to change to red, this is only hampering the supposed value of this ability.

Please consider the importance of 4 blue tiles as a 5th level ability versus the current 3 tile limit. As the ability of taking out potential party wiping attacks is a fundamental value of Magneto's.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With the nerf is 355 / 454 still the best option.
    Finally get a fully covered mMags and they nerf him before i can sample the fun ... apart from the current PVE.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    MMN blue is pretty terrible, so 3/5/5 is going to stay his best build, even more so now that his slower red could be charged more reliably.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    locked wrote:
    MMN blue is pretty terrible, so 3/5/5 is going to stay his best build, even more so now that his slower red could be charged more reliably.
    You only really go 4 blue because of the AP discount on his red.

Personally, I like 4 red > 5 red, as the damage is roughly the same. Sure, the AP gained in the expanded area is nice, but I like actually casting it once in a while. If MNMags purple's red gen turns out to be really good, maybe that'll change.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I see this as more of a lateral move for Magneto, a nerf for Storm and a boost to Hawkeye.
    How is it a boost to Hawkeye, when before you had the chance to produce 2 crits, and now you can only produce one?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Because two criticals rarely produces four extra speed shot tiles anyway thanks to cascades and a lack of purple tiles to turn into countdowns, while the extra red will accelerate his better active power.
  • john1620b
    john1620b Posts: 367
    Options
    With the nerf is 355 / 454 still the best option.
    Finally get a fully covered mMags and they nerf him before i can sample the fun ... apart from the current PVE.
    Yes, 355 / 454 are still the best options.

Go with 355 if you use red for AP generation. Go with 454 if you use red for damage (cause 11 AP is way faster than 14 AP) or if you use a lot of special tiles that you don't want to destroy.

I wrote a longer post earlier in the thread, but I recommend 454 when you're in the 2* -> 3* phase, and 355 once your other characters eclipse his red damage.
  • Mavrek32 wrote:
    Is there any point in pumping ISO into Hawkeye now?

Maybe work w/Dr.Doom's Blue? Idk, I've already got him maxed, guess I'll be selling him for ISO unless I can keep him around for IF I ever GSBW...he WOULD work the same w/her Purple...
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shayne78 wrote:
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    Is there any point in pumping ISO into Hawkeye now?

Maybe work w/Dr.Doom's Blue? Idk, I've already got him maxed, guess I'll be selling him for ISO unless I can keep him around for IF I ever GSBW...he WOULD work the same w/her Purple...
    mHawkeye is also still semi-useable with 2* Ms. Marvel if she is at -/-/5 to generate randomly placed TUP tiles.
    Since it is random, there is no guarantee.
    I'm personally not putting anymore iso in him now since Speed Shot was the only really good power he had going for him.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    More like "Fixed". It was a silly to have a combo like that in the game.

MNMags seems like he'll still be decent. There aren't many red generators in the game.

Mystique is now fairly bad for a 3*. Above Beast/Ock, though.
    But it is fine to have IF + X-F combo running through, right?

And we just got Cyke to generate red for thoress.

MQ is basically the same, they just hit the 2* partner. Still wrecks if you pair with IF.

They only nerfed the combo for PvE players on the 2* realm, so they took the best combo for the newer players have even less chance on PvE.

Cyke and IF don't allow you to place 5 tiles wherever you want. Apples to oranges. But I agree, they took away the best tool for transitioning players.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The AI has been saving up its Deadpool points for just this moment. If you don't Surgical Stirke Deadpool during this turn: it's game over. Survive to the next turn.
    Magneto (Marvel Now!)'s new Polarity Shift is too unpredictable to solve this puzzle. But by using his old Polarity Shift, Surgical Strike can be guaranteed.

Using the board below, show how the old Polarity Shift could earn at least 11 blacktile.png AP for X-Force's Surgical Strike and prevent Deadpool from Whaling on you.

Go ahead and assume all characters are built to 5/5/5 and at max level.
    The best answer is one that guarantees Surgical Strike to be used this turn. Describe where you would place Magneto's blue tiles, any other abilities that you would use, and any board movements you would make to solve the puzzle.

icon_magneto.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_wolverine.png with 9 purpletile.png AP Vs. icon_deadpool.png with 14 purpletile.png AP
    ==A==B==C==D==E==F==G==H
    1 greentile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.pnggreentile.pngtutile.pnggreentile.pngtutile.pngbluetile.png
    2 blacktile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngtutile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png
    3 yellowtile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.pngblacktile.pngtutile.pngtutile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.png
    4 redtile.pnggreentile.pngblacktile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngyellowtile.png
    5 yellowtile.pngyellowtile.pngblacktile.pngtutile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.pngtutile.pngblacktile.png
    6 yellowtile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngtutile.pngblacktile.pngtutile.pnggreentile.pngbluetile.png
    7 redtile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.pnggreentile.png
    8 bluetile.pngbluetile.pngyellowtile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngyellowtile.pngtutile.pngblacktile.png

Stats for your available abilities are hidden below:
    :magneto:
    Polarity Shift - Old - Cost: 9
    Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
    MAX Level 5: Changes 5 selected tiles.
    Iron Hammer - N/A; You'll be dead before it goes off.
    Magnetic Flux - N/A; You'll be dead before it goes off.

icon_doctordoom.png
    Summon Demons - N/A; You'll be dead before it goes off.
    Technopathic Strike - Blue 9 AP
    Doctor Doom lashes out with his sinister inventions, swaying the battle in his favor. Transforms 6 basic Blue tiles to Black tiles.
    Level 5: Transforms all basic Blue tiles.
    Diabolical Plot - Purple 10 AP
    Max Level: Doom deals 1131 damage plus 1131 damage for each of his Traps.

icon_wolverine.png
    X-Force - Green 8 AP
    Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 164 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3×3 X-shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
    Level 5: Deals 1731, then destroys 15 tiles in three 3×3 X-shaped patterns.
    Max Level: 3441 damage
    Surgical Strike - Black 11 AP
    Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy's ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team's strongest color, dealing 32 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
    Max Level: 522 damage per tile
    Recovery - Yellow 9 AP
    Wolverine's healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 damage when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 32 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
    Max Level: Heals for 9989 or destroys 9 tiles and deals 164 damage per tile.

icon_deadpool.png
    Whales! Whales! Whales! - Purple 14 AP
    You've gotta help me get rid of all these whales (don't ask) before they go bad! I'll hit the enemy team with a Beluga, dealing 493 damage, but if you spend your Deadpool Points (the Money With The Mouth) I'll hit 'em with every whale I've got. I'm practically giving these whales away!
    Max Level: (dealing 4069 damage)
    Edit: Using all Deadpool points will kill the entire enemy team regardless of skill level.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Abilities that guarantee preventing damage have historically not had a long life time.
    The devs really want you to take damage and get knocked out so that you cannot play until 2.5hrs later (assuming you're not stupid enough to buy health packs).
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The best answer is one that guarantees Surgical Strike to be used this turn.

Given the fact that any cascade causes random tiles to fill in from the top and that resolution of tile matches is currently still bugged to resolve 'in mid flight' incase of critical tiles and starts resolving from the top (where said random tiles start dropping) I don't think you can guarantee anything...
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    The best answer is one that guarantees Surgical Strike to be used this turn.

Given the fact that any cascade causes random tiles to fill in from the top and that resolution of tile matches is currently still bugged to resolve 'in mid flight' incase of critical tiles and starts resolving from the top (where said random tiles start dropping) I don't think you can guarantee anything...
    That's a good hint! Assume that 'in mid flight' critical tiles aren't bugged and won't wreck the top or sides of the board. And definitely don't cause any unpredictable cascades until you know you have your 11 blacktile.png AP. There is at least one reasonable solution.