** Magneto (Marvel NOW!) **

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2015 in Character Details
icon_magneto.pngMagneto (Marvel NOW!) - 2*
Damage, Health and Other Statistics

Iron Hammer
Power Cost - 6 bluetile.png

Magneto forms a mass of shrapnel to hurl at his enemies.

Power Level 1 - Changes a random basic bluetile.png into a 1 turn countdown.png that destroys the surrounding 8 tiles. Does not generate AP.
    Power Level 2 - Surrounding 12 tiles. Costs 1 bluetile.png more.
    Power Level 3 - Surrounding 20 tiles. 2 turn countdown.png. Costs 2 bluetile.png more.
    Power Level 4 - Surrounding 28 tiles. 3 turn countdown.png.
    Power Level 5 - Destroys entire board. 4 turn countdown.png. Costs 4 bluetile.png more.

Polarity Shift
    Power Cost - 9 purpletile.png

Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield.

Power Level 1 - Changes 1 selected basic color tile into bluetile.png and 3 random basic color tiles into redtile.png.
      Power Level 2 - 2 selected basic color tiles to bluetile.png.
      Power Level 3 - 4 random basic color tiles into redtile.png.
      Power Level 4 - 3 selected basic color tiles into bluetile.png and 3 random basic color tiles into redtile.png.
      Power Level 5 - 5 random basic color tiles into redtile.png.

Magnetic Flux
      Power Cost - 8 redtile.png

Magneto creates an unstable magnetic field.

Character Level 15:
        Power Level 1 - Turns a random basic redtile.png into a 3 turn countdown.png that deals 347 damage to the current target.
        Power Level 2 - 2 turn countdown.png . Costs 1 redtile.png more.
        Power Level 3 - Destroys a 3x3 block around the countdown.png tile. Costs 2 redtile.png more.
        Power Level 4 - 1 turn countdown.png.
        Power Level 5 - Destroys a 5x5 block around the countdown.png tile and 413 damage. Costs 3 redtile.png more.

Character Level 94:
          Power Level 3 - Turns a random basic redtile.png into a 2 turn countdown.png that destroys a 3x3 block and deals 1954 damage to the current target.
          Power Level 4 - 1 turn countdown.png and 2042 damage.
          Power Level 5 - Destroys a 5x5 block and 2131 damage. Costs 3 redtile.png more.

Last Major Update: 2015-03 / Earlier Discussion

Earlier post:
          Hey All

Miles from Demiurge here to let you know about some new character updates that are coming soon to Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Magneto (Marvel NOW) - Coming 3/23/15

Our next character update is to Magneto (Marvel NOW). Magneto has been in the game since we launched and has been part of a lot of powerful combos in that time. Recently he’s been the key to an infinite-turn combo with Mystique, which we don’t think is a good thing to have in the game. As a result we decided to update his Purple ability: Polarity Shift to make infinite turn combos harder to achieve, while preserving the unique strategy of the power, carefully choosing a bunch of tiles to convert.

Polarity Shift - Old - Cost: 11 (9 at level 5)
          Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
          Level 2 - Costs 1 AP less.
          Level 3 - Changes 4 selected tiles.
          Level 4 - Costs 1 AP less.
          Level 5 - Changes 5 selected tiles.
          MAX Level 5: Changes 5 selected tiles.

Polarity Shift - New - Cost: 9
          Magneto uses the sheer force of magnetism to reconfigure the battlefield. Changes 1 selected basic color tile to Blue, and creates 3 Red tiles.
          Level 2 - Changes 2 selected basic color tiles to Blue.
          Level 3 - Creates 4 Red tiles.
          Level 4 - Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue, and creates 3 Red tiles.
          Level 5 - Creates 5 Red tiles.
          MAX Level 5: Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue, and creates 5 Red tiles.

Changes to Magneto are slated to land in game on Monday 3/23.

[Extracted from original post. It and further discussion on the change can be found here].
          Original post:

This new update seems to me to have a pretty big effect on those still in 2* land and new players. Mags/Storm combo isn't nearly as quick now. I still used them in the daily DeadPool with Ares for two of the nodes. At least those aren't very hard to begin with.
          Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• ynglink
            ynglink Posts: 195
            I find it really odd, from my understanding you still get to place the blue tiles, meaning that it'll still be a useable ability. But with the Red being random, and putting more tiles on board than the blue, should one still keep him around to fuel other characters like a weird Thor - damage?
          • jquin94
            jquin94 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
            I feel like his purple power is even weaker now since you cant guarantee a cascade 100% of the time. Sure, you can get the 3 blue tiles to align with 2 blue tiles that are somewhat close to each other, but those 2 blue tiles are still subject to be turned into a red tile in the same process. If they were worried about the winfinite combo being a thing, why not just let it go from seleting 5 blue tiles to selecting 5 red tiles instead?
          • elwhiteninja
            elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
            jquin94 wrote:
            why not just let it go from seleting 5 blue tiles to selecting 5 red tiles instead?
            because then we would just have turn 1-2 cap throwing out 2 shields for infinite 8k damages
          • cletus1985
            cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
            Honestly this change just kills 2* teams, the stormneto combo was one of the best available to deal with high level opponents and they're taking that away to fix winfinite? It's been posted before and should be noted by the devs that the obvious solution to solve this "problem" wasn't nerfing either character, but instead just flipping Mystique's blue and purple abilities ("Problem" Solved!). That is of course way too rational and simple though (sigh).
          • TazFTW
            TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
            It is a buff to the partnership with mHawkeye (mostly by nerfing Stormneto). Polarity Shift can get Speed Shot to generate and potentially charge both arrows.

Maybe (turul's Upcoming Characters Spoiler thread spoilers incoming)
            the 2* Sharpshooter plays really well with this new Mags?
          • Unknown
            edited March 2015
            I for one am not thrilled with the Mags (MN) rework. For some the S/M combo is the only way we have the ability to compete. It's hard enough to transition from 2* to a viable 3* roster when faced with so many battles pitted against level 100+ opponents. This combo allows players to at least have a modicum of a chance to complete PVE events, which are/were the main/easiest source of 3* characters. Personally it's the only way I have to be able to earn enough points (barely) to be able to win the seasonal 10 pack reward, and to be able to complete 98% of the PVE's thus getting the 3*'s I do have. It's hard enough trying to put a decent 3* combo and/or roster together as is. Taking away about the only combo available that lends to the capability to earn the 3* necessary to transition. At least without pouring money into packs to be able to.
            I myself have a decently sized roster, but not enough 3*s at competitive level powers and/or life wise.
            I've noticed a lot of players remarking that the 2* transitioning players will be fine because they can now use the "New and Improved" Rags...
            1. We have to be able to compete in PVE'S Which with the scaling system is next to impossible causing us to be faced with 150+ foes(which was stated that it's our fault because we win battles using boosts)which are necessary to be able to defeat 80% of our opponents..
            2.Competing in PvP once I personally reach 350 am faced with the 200+ XF wall (I know veterans state that it depends on when you enter) thus I can't even reach the HP reward level..
            3. Out of 9 mos. of play I've not seen 1 Rags token (that includes $ I've spent on 10 packs) the Seasonal 10 pack rewards I'm lucky to get 1-2 gold tokens..
            So how am I/we supposed to get "Rags" to use the only combo that allows us any chance of transitioning to 3* ?
            4* players have taken a hard hit..
            3* players suffer a bruise..
            2* players have been completely neutered..
            Play for free has been effectively taken off the table for transitioning 2*-3* players..
            With our inability to compete and earn rewards what chance do we have of making it to a viable 3* roster?
            We're left with no option but to dump $ in and cross our fingers..
            They may have cost themselves $ from the 3 & 4* Players but they've forged a new $ pipeline from all 2*-3* players and any newcomers..
            I agree with what one player suggested Everyone should go to place of download and leave negative feedback and down rate them..
            Who knows? In a perfect world it might make them take notice....
            Anyways before everyone starts condemning me and tossing insults my way I'll add the disclaimer icon_razz.gifersonal Vent
          • Not axed as much as elongated. Takes a few more blue matches or purple matches to pull off. Or maybe a MNM Red tile or a Storm greenflag.png use. They still have synergy, they just don't have turn 3 Wind Storm power anymore.
          • OzarkBoatswain
            OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
            More like "Fixed". It was a silly to have a combo like that in the game.

MNMags seems like he'll still be decent. There aren't many red generators in the game.

Mystique is now fairly bad for a 3*. Above Beast/Ock, though.
          • More like "Fixed". It was a silly to have a combo like that in the game.

MNMags seems like he'll still be decent. There aren't many red generators in the game.

Mystique is now fairly bad for a 3*. Above Beast/Ock, though.
            But it is fine to have IF + X-F combo running through, right?

And we just got Cyke to generate red for thoress.

MQ is basically the same, they just hit the 2* partner. Still wrecks if you pair with IF.

They only nerfed the combo for PvE players on the 2* realm, so they took the best combo for the newer players have even less chance on PvE.
          • Now he has more synnergy with himself and no combo with storm. They tinikittied it up.
          • OnyxSnake
            OnyxSnake Posts: 78 Match Maker
            All they had to change was MQ and left Mags alone. If it takes 2 for the combo then changing one solves the issue.
            Being that Mags is a 2* character it is fairer to leave him and change the 3* as people in 2-3 transition (like myself ) need him as he is.
            Either leave him alone or tone down the scaling because I can't beat any nodes over easy without Mags and Storm.
          • Is there any point in pumping ISO into Hawkeye now?
          • Nylarx
            Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
            The random red tiles that are produced from Polarity are going to be really annoying.

I know I will be truly annoyed when trying to place those 3 pitiful blue tiles to make a single Match 5 only to see that the critical blue tile on the board had been replaced with a red one.
          • ShanePHallam
            ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
            Will said that won't happen. Maybe blues won't turn to red.
          • Cstorm/Mags was a glass cannon that no one uses once they transition out of 2* noob land. Granted we all use it on DPD, but those are going to be cake walks for ppl with developed rosters by then. It's still forcing us to keep 2* on a well developed roster = more roster slot buying.

It tinykitty's over noobs, the future...give them DPD and then kick them in the teeth LOL God forbid noobs actually get something out of the hard work and HOURS put into the game. Maxing a 3* still takes 8+ months ftp...now you took away one of the only decent 2* synergy teams. Yikes.
          • T_REZ5000
            T_REZ5000 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
            The only good thing about this change is that now I don't have to grind like crazy to get prof x (MN mags purple was the only thing He had going for him IMO).

Thanks for giving me the weekend off D3P!
          • konannfriends
            konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
            Switchman wrote:
            Cstorm/Mags was a glass cannon that no one uses once they transition out of 2* noob land. Granted we all use it on DPD, but those are going to be cake walks for ppl with developed rosters by then. It's still forcing us to keep 2* on a well developed roster = more roster slot buying.

It tinykitty's over noobs, the future...give them DPD and then kick them in the teeth LOL God forbid noobs actually get something out of the hard work and HOURS put into the game. Maxing a 3* still takes 8+ months ftp...now you took away one of the only decent 2* synergy teams. Yikes.

Wait. i dont see any changes. and also why they nerfing characters when moonstone ans sentry are in they wheelchairs
          • TLCstormz
            TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
            ONE OF THE STUPIDEST DECISIONS EVER! Truly.
          • TLCstormz
            TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
            This is BY FAR one of the dumbest decisions I have EVER heard.

Nice job killing one of the ONLY good strategic combos in the 2* realm.

Un-freaking-believable.
          • Hello everybody.
            I can't keep up with all heated discussion lately so please forgive me if someone already asked this question.
            I want some clarification on Magneto's update. It says
            MAX Level 5: Changes 3 selected basic color tiles to Blue, and creates 5 Red tiles.
            and it looks 5 red tiles were meant to compensate for reducing blue tiles to 3. But if they're completely random they can override the blue tiles you are trying to match. For example you have
            bluetile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngbluetile.png
            and putting in 2 blue
            bluetile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.png
            and then red overrides one of them
            bluetile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.pngbluetile.png
            TA-DA! You've just been screwed. If that's the possible case than these 5 red look more like a handicap and he might be better off with just plain cut of his ability to 3 blue tiles without any red "compensation".
            Can please someone informed comment on it?