**** Ant-Man (Scott Lang) ****

Options

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    It's very difficult to predict the best build yet. You really want to have 5 in either (or both) Blue and Purple to make sure that Grow will deal 10k damage, but Yellow is his more spammable ability and the one putting the hurt earlier and at faster pace, especially at 5 covers. 5/3/5 initially sounds like the best idea since his blue is only conditionally good against special tiles generators (though he's GREAT at that). OTOH, the blue tiles are the ones that you'd be happier to sacrifice to Grow and having such a strong weapon against certain characters like Daken, Blade, Storm or Carnage is definitely an asset.

If only there was a decent way to produce blue tiles. Where's Namor when you need him?

2* Mags isn't going to work because he consumes purple to produce blue, and not a ton of it.
    Could be Mystique's buddy too, with infiltration, but you're going to end up chewing up those purple strike tiles to get Grow.
  • Buret0
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    notamutant wrote:
    I find the chances of the AI getting and using the purple or blue moves twice before they expire unlikely
    I'm not sure I agree. The AI doesn't seem to focus on one particular color; it tends to acquire all colors somewhat randomly. So the chances that it will get 9 purple and 9 blue within a couple moves of each other, don't seem all that remote.

That won't trigger Grow. Use purple, purple turns to grow, blue stays the same. If I read it correctly.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    It's very difficult to predict the best build yet. You really want to have 5 in either (or both) Blue and Purple to make sure that Grow will deal 10k damage, but Yellow is his more spammable ability and the one putting the hurt earlier and at faster pace, especially at 5 covers. 5/3/5 initially sounds like the best idea since his blue is only conditionally good against special tiles generators (though he's GREAT at that). OTOH, the blue tiles are the ones that you'd be happier to sacrifice to Grow and having such a strong weapon against certain characters like Daken, Blade, Storm or Carnage is definitely an asset.

If only there was a decent way to produce blue tiles. Where's Namor when you need him?

2* Mags isn't going to work because he consumes purple to produce blue, and not a ton of it.
    Could be Mystique's buddy too, with infiltration, but you're going to end up chewing up those purple strike tiles to get Grow.

Don't forget about ol' Rags right???

Right?

/crickets
    //crickets are overrun by ants
  • Unknown
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    After reading his powers I cant help thinking in how 4hor was hit too hard with the nerf bat. ....

I can't help thinking Ant-Man's 10K punch will get a pre-release nerf. Sure sounds like the type of pre-release power hype that has been posted this year only to get nerfed right before the initial event............
  • Buret0
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    After reading his powers I cant help thinking in how 4hor was hit too hard with the nerf bat. ....

I can't help thinking Ant-Man's 10K punch will get a pre-release nerf. Sure sounds like the type of pre-release power hype that has been posted this year only to get nerfed right before the initial event............

Since it requires 18 AP to activate, it is really 570 damage per AP, which isn't bad for an ability that requires 18 AP to use AND which can be stopped by matching away the trap or CD tile if you don't use them back to back.

(Though, to be fair, that first 9 AP is also going to boost the damage... especially if you get Purple out before you get yellow).
  • Unknown
    Options
    Polares wrote:

I am not arguing with you, but I'd compare it to IMHB red and XF Black. If Antman hits harder than IMHB, then it needs to be brought down...similarily to XF...though not to the same extent due to cost and conditions.

Only one should hit harder than IMHB, he's the strongest there is...The Worldbreaker! (come on devs, you know you want to)
    - Unreall
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    5/5/3 for since ill be using him a ton with carnage
    Same here. I don't understand the thinking that his blue is a waste in the wrong situation. Just use him in the right situation.

and against muscle goons you're gonna want that third strike tile since the strikes they put out are so uber powerful.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Since it requires 18 AP to activate, it is really 570 damage per AP, which isn't bad for an ability that requires 18 AP to use AND which can be stopped by matching away the trap or CD tile if you don't use them back to back.

(Though, to be fair, that first 9 AP is also going to boost the damage... especially if you get Purple out before you get yellow).
    And comparing it to IMHB at if I read right - 630 per - that's not too out of line. Might bring it down a tad more since he throws around strike tiles like She-Hulk does her puddin', but all in all, I think it's fair at its cost, and unlike IMHB, he doesn't generate AP...he has to build it, so he only has like one quality accelerator right now in Wanda...and she's debatable as 'quality'.
    - Unreall
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Polares wrote:

And comparing it to IMHB at if I read right - 630 per - that's not too out of line. Might bring it down a tad more since he throws around strike tiles like She-Hulk does her puddin', but all in all, I think it's fair at its cost, and unlike IMHB, he doesn't generate AP...he has to build it, so he only has like one quality accelerator right now in Wanda...and she's debatable as 'quality'.
    - Unreall

Not only does it cost 18 ap but you also must either have it all at once or your must be able to get it before the tiles expire or are matched meaning you have to hoard for a long time. 10k is not that crazy anymore with the HP increase. Cyclops does almost 8k for 13ap, Hulkbuster can one shot anyone with enough ap. 630 damage per AP when you have to hoard that much sounds right. Although I cant wait to execute people with it.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have to say in theory Ant-man looks very strong.

5/3/5 seems to be the way to go.

Yellow at 5 seems to be a must. If all CD tiles run their course and the strike tiles stay out is 8k damage for 7 ap not to mention all the extra damage from matching and if you have a purple going then you will be doing crazy damage every turn.

Purple being a trap.png could be fantastic or terrible and presents the best chance of getting a grow off.

Blue is very much situational so I would imagine that 3 will be the most that are needed although having a blue damage source sounds really nice.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think damage per AP calculations for Grow don't reflect that you already get a pretty good return on investment for the first 9 ap regardless of Grow use. The last 9 AP gets over 1K per AP; the first 9 is highly variable, but could often net more than 1K per AP as well over a few turns.
  • mrcheddar
    mrcheddar Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Options
    I might be missing something here but nowhere on the character pages in game does it explain what 'grow' does.

Seems a bit strange to have to come to the forums to find out what it does. I'm sure there must be lots of players looking at it in game, scratching their heads and thinking "what is this grow you speak of?".
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mrcheddar wrote:
    I might be missing something here but nowhere on the character pages in game does it explain what 'grow' does.

Seems a bit strange to have to come to the forums to find out what it does. I'm sure there must be lots of players looking at it in game, scratching their heads and thinking "what is this grow you speak of?".

Says it at the bottom of the description:
      Grow - 9 purpletile.png or bluetile.png AP Dev Notes: This replaces either Pym Particles and/or Small Time Crooks as long as that ability's special tile is out. So if it replaced Pym Particles, it costs purpletile.png and if it replaced Small Time Crooks, it costs bluetile.png. This ability's level is equal to whichever ability is being replaced.
      Ant-Man leaps towards his enemy, restoring himself to full-size in midair to deliver a haymaker. Remove all Pym Particles & Small Time Crooks tiles and deal 1233 damage to the target. This power returns to its previous ability.
        Level 2: 1726 damage Level 3: 2219 damage Level 4: 3206 damage Level 5: 5179 damage
      Max Level
        Level 3: 4397 damage Level 4: 6352 damage Level 5: 10261 damage
    • mrcheddar
      mrcheddar Posts: 58 Match Maker
      Options
      Cabol wrote:
      mrcheddar wrote:

Grow - 9 purpletile.png or bluetile.png AP Dev Notes: This replaces either Pym Particles and/or Small Time Crooks as long as that ability's special tile is out. So if it replaced Pym Particles, it costs purpletile.png and if it replaced Small Time Crooks, it costs bluetile.png. This ability's level is equal to whichever ability is being replaced.
        Ant-Man leaps towards his enemy, restoring himself to full-size in midair to deliver a haymaker. Remove all Pym Particles & Small Time Crooks tiles and deal 1233 damage to the target. This power returns to its previous ability.
          Level 2: 1726 damage Level 3: 2219 damage Level 4: 3206 damage Level 5: 5179 damage
        Max Level

Yes I has to come here to the forum to find that. That was kinda my point.
        nowhere on the character pages in game does it explain what 'grow' does.

I can't see that info in the game.
      • Punisher5784
        Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
        Options
        Cabol wrote:
        mrcheddar wrote:

Max Level

He is referring to the fact that the Grow info is not in the game itself. Many players do not use the forum. Read his post before you start copying and pasting unnecessary info.
        • Malcrof
          Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
          Options
          Well, looks like we will all be begging for Bagman Snarky Remark team-ups from our alliances!
        • Unknown
          Options
          How is anticipated man a 4 star character I believe he should bebe 3 star
        • Unknown
          Options
          Scooby305 wrote:
          How is Ant Man a 4 star character I believe he should be 3 star
          Someone said he's the founder of the Avengers.

He also has a movie...everyone with their own movie has a 4*...Wolverine, Thor, Ironman, OK CapA doesn't...yet, but FalCap is most likely coming.
          - Unreall
        • Unknown
          Options
          Scooby305 wrote:
          How is Ant Man a 4 star character I believe he should be 3 star
          Someone said he's the founder of the Avengers.

He's not. Hank Pym was a co-founder (along with Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Wasp). Scott Lang wasn't introduced as a character until the late 1970s.

I think we can safely stop looking for an explanation of why people are 4*s now. They're 4*s because the devs decided they were.
        • JVReal
          JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
          Options
          Haven't read much about Ant Man, he was a novelty when I was a kid but too young to understand much about the comics at the time... and when I did get into comics, he wasn't popular.

From my understanding he hits harder when he's smaller... so why does Grow imply he does more damage by growing to regular size at the moment of impact?