**** Ant-Man (Scott Lang) ****

Options

Comments

• spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Go 5/3/5. Purple combine with SW means you get grow out once or twice every match. Blue on the other hand is alot worse than it sounds. It takes 3 blue matches to setup and then another turn before it starts stealing tiles. Usually you would have already taken quite a bit of damage from the special tiles already. About the only time I have seen blue be actually useful is fighting against Luke cage and Iron Fist.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    Go 5/3/5. Purple combine with SW means you get grow out once or twice every match. Blue on the other hand is alot worse than it sounds. It takes 3 blue matches to setup and then another turn before it starts stealing tiles. Usually you would have already taken quite a bit of damage from the special tiles already. About the only time I have seen blue be actually useful is fighting against Luke cage and Iron Fist.
    I don't like to assume I'll play two characters together, I prefer to build my characters to stand on their own. Plus I really like to use Reality Crush, so Witch will likely hog all the Purple herself
    On the other hand, it's a lot easier to use Grow with Purple than with blue...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guess I can just make Ant-man a Champion now and use whatever build fits the situation best. icon_e_smile.gif That's going to require quite a bit of ISO though...
    Also a little mad I accidentally sold the second blue cover I pulled on Sunday. Oh well, there will be others.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Guess I can just make Ant-man a Champion now and use whatever build fits the situation best. icon_e_smile.gif That's going to require quite a bit of ISO though...
    Also a little mad I accidentally sold the second blue cover I pulled on Sunday. Oh well, there will be others.

Yeah, it feels like Ant-Man gets a buff here, along with a bunch of other characters. Re-spec to situation fits him really well.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My ant-man was 4/4/4 going into civil war. So I now have one cover of each color sitting in my queue. Can't imagine that he will be a champ'ing priority any time soon, so I want to pick the best 5/4/4 build in the interim. Any advice?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to champ him. But I have 5 4*s cover-maxed and all asking for 270-340k iso. And several more at 10+ covers. I like ant man just fine, and see the value of respecing him. But I don't think I can justify prioritizing him. Even boosted his PvP value is limited because he is so slow. It's too bad, as I enjoy his quirky mechanics, but with the iso shortage just getting worse and worse, the mid tier 4*s are casualties.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    My ant-man was 4/4/4 going into civil war. So I now have one cover of each color sitting in my queue. Can't imagine that he will be a champ'ing priority any time soon, so I want to pick the best 5/4/4 build in the interim. Any advice?

I haver also max covered him in CW (at long last!!! I couldn't get the third blue cover, I have pulled like 12 Antman, all purple or yellow), and he is a tricky one to max. Thing is, I think his best build if we are thinking about him as an individual characer (like for his DDQ4) is probably 5/3/5 BUT his most useful build I think is 3/5/5. In the end Antman is great for stealing OML/Phoenix or Muscle strike tiles and also to use his yellow with a lot of strike tiles on the board, this is when you are really going to use him, so 3/5/5 makes much more sense and it is the build I will recommend for anyone.

I have also like 13 max covered 4s I can't level. In my queue now I have Phoenix, SS, Thing with max priority, and then maybe him, Miles, Carnage or Kingpin (I still have to cover max Nova/Quake/Punisher). I know Antman plays really well with OML and Phoenix so I may champ him even before Thing. I may finishing leveling all of them by 2019 (or most likely never icon_razz.gif)
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I haver also max covered him in CW (at long last!!! I couldn't get the third blue cover, I have pulled like 12 Antman, all purple or yellow), and he is a tricky one to max. Thing is, I think his best build if we are thinking about him as an individual characer (like for his DDQ4) is probably 5/3/5 BUT his most useful build I think is 3/5/5. In the end Antman is great for stealing OML/Phoenix or Muscle strike tiles and also to use his yellow with a lot of strike tiles on the board, this is when you are really going to use him, so 3/5/5 makes much more sense and it is the build I will recommend for anyone.

I have also like 13 max covered 4s I can't level. In my queue now I have Phoenix, SS, Thing with max priority, and then maybe him, Miles, Carnage or Kingpin (I still have to cover max Nova/Quake/Punisher). I know Antman plays really well with OML and Phoenix so I may champ him even before Thing. I may finishing leveling all of them by 2019 (or most likely never icon_razz.gif)

I pair antman with my OML, and I like his build to be 5/5/3.

Why 3 yellow? Because the strike tiles it generate is much less powerful than the OML red. And when you cast antman yellow at 5 covers, it clots up 5 red tiles and eventually removing it. My oml is unable to have sufficient red tiles for his red passive.

3 yellow is still good as it double tap on the oml strike tiles.
  • Polares
    edited May 2016
    Options
    atomzed wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

I pair antman with my OML, and I like his build to be 5/5/3.

Why 3 yellow? Because the strike tiles it generate is much less powerful than the OML red. And when you cast antman yellow at 5 covers, it clots up 5 red tiles and eventually removing it. My oml is unable to have sufficient red tiles for his red passive.

3 yellow is still good as it double tap on the oml strike tiles.

Edit: Comment deleted because It looks like I was wrong and it doesnt add the strike tiles for every countdown...
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Each countdown can easily do around 2.5k - 3k damage, so if you have 5 countdowns that is around 15k a turn.

Wait, is this actually how it works? I thought attack tiles (or in this case these ant countdowns) only proc the strike tiles as a group. I think the amount of damage per turn is actually 3k + ant damage no?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you want titantic damage from Grow punches, you need 5 in blue or purple. Paired with switch or IM40, Ant-Man can down most opponents with one 5-cover Grow.
  • Polares
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Each countdown can easily do around 2.5k - 3k damage, so if you have 5 countdowns that is around 15k a turn.

Wait, is this actually how it works? I thought attack tiles (or in this case these ant countdowns) only proc the strike tiles as a group. I think the amount of damage per turn is actually 3k + ant damage no?

Well looks like I was wrong and you were right, I just tested it because I was super sure it worked like Word Rapture but it looks like it doesn't and it just adds all strike tiles once. So forget my last comment.

PS: This of course makes me wonder, Why does it work like that?!?!? It should work like Sentry or Rhulk or any other countdown creator.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It works like Squirrel Girl. The countdowns only do something when they hit zero, and that's just creating a strike tile. Ant-Man has a passive ability that deals damage at the start of the turn for each Ants countdown on the board.
  • laughingMAN
    Options
    Unfortunately I think it's because Antman's countdowns proc all at once rather than one at a time. However, I agree that it's weird that these specific countdowns are coded differently from all the others.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unfortunately I think it's because Antman's countdowns proc all at once rather than one at a time. However, I agree that it's weird that these specific countdowns are coded differently from all the others.

Just to clarify, they proc all at once while counting down, but one at a time when hitting zero.
  • laughingMAN
    Options
    Just to clarify, they proc all at once while counting down, but one at a time when hitting zero.

Yeah I think Blacksheep basically solved the mystery. It's not actually the countdowns doing the attacking but rather Antman's passive. So really these countdowns work exactly the same as all other countdowns.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ant man with 5 in purple + switch + Falcap = a lot of grow punches and gives you a red nuke as well. And because you'll be matching blue for Falcap passive you'll likely also be able to grow punch with blue as well.

This team works particularly well
  • Polares
    Options

Yeah I think Blacksheep basically solved the mystery. It's not actually the countdowns doing the attacking but rather Antman's passive. So really these countdowns work exactly the same as all other countdowns.

Ah of course, you are both right, when It goes down it does all of them at the same time because it is the passive not the countdown, but when they reach 0 they go out one by one. A real pity that it is the passive and not each of the countdowns the one doing the damage, it would make his yellow so much better...
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So Ant Man is boosted in the PvP event and by the gods is he overscaled when boosted.

Yellow does 7.5k over 3 turns for 7 yellow, and leaves behind like 1.2k in strike tiles
    Purple drops about 1000 in attack tiles every turn for 9 purple
    Blue does what it always does for 9 blue which is anywhere from stealing one to three tiles (though with how overdone purple/yellow is, why would you take 3?)

Grow does 21k. Jeeeeeeesus.

Actually ran him with boosted Switch and cage because I was losing damage having Drax nuke 3 countdowns and slowing down the game is great. My god.

If the meta ever slows down enough for whatever reason, and even if it doesn't, Ant Man is a monster.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Against opponent oml, bring IM40 and antman, set to 5 purple and blue. Recharge to ridiculous amounts of blue, wait for opponent to collect enough black for living legend, precast small time crook, steal tiles, grow and smack in the face icon_e_smile.gif