MPQ Community Video - New! 'Season XVI' June, 2015

Comments

• Let me get this straight. You don't think their successful? They've kept you all this time. They probably deserve a trophy just for that.

Ironically, they supposedly lost phantron. I still think he was just an alias of one of the developers.

There's no glory to keep me as a customer or a player. I am quite loyal and monomaniac.

They lost me as a paying customer, as I've been F2P for nearly a couple of seasons now. I've only paid for roster slots so to say.

And it's going to stay this way so long as it's a nightmare to get all 3 colours for new characters.

All changes are for the most part baby steps. Better than nothing, of course. But still...

Why are we grinding The Hunt for The Thing when we could have gotten it with Avengers vs Ultron ? 4 hours per day to get a new character ? 20 hours of grinding ?

Am I bedazzled because we don't have 2 subsequent subs every 12 hours ?

No, because it should never have happened in the past.

The devs would have known that a long time ago, had they played the game the way they expect us to play it.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Oh come on you negative nancies.

It's a first iteration, and a conservative one at that, but it will be tweaked, Ice already said as much.

Some chance at 4*s is better than none, it's a step in the right direction.

If this is the response when they make improvements in the players' favor, I'd hate to see the reaction if they had made the system worse.

It's like some people don't realize we're talking about tokens, not covers. Covers have certainty about them. You get them for beating a certain node, reaching a certain score, or attaining a certain rank.

Tokens are by their very nature a lottery system. They're the opposite of covers. A lottery system is supposed to have much tougher odds. Essentially, they've switched from a powerball system (feel free to look up those odds) to a raffle with only 300 entries. It's a huge upgrade. However, it is still a system for tokens.

People keep saying less items in the Vault would be even better. Well, if they just let you pick out the exact cover you wanted every time you redeemed a token that would even be better than less items in the Vault. That would be the betterest system.

In fact people (who aren't me) should hoard their tokens til that happens, after all that system would be better than the new vault that is not better enough. I'll go ahead and use my tokens as punishment for not initially being sickened by the new vault system. I know it's a harsh penalty I place upon myself, but it's the only way I'll learn.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    arktos1971 wrote:

Let me get this straight. You don't think their successful? They've kept you all this time. They probably deserve a trophy just for that.

Ironically, they supposedly lost phantron. I still think he was just an alias of one of the developers.

There's no glory to keep me as a customer or a player. I am quite loyal and monomaniac.

They lost me as a paying customer, as I've been F2P for nearly a couple of seasons now. I've only paid for roster slots so to say.

And it's going to stay this way so long as it's a nightmare to get all 3 colours for new characters.

All changes are for the most part baby steps. Better than nothing, of course. But still...

Why are we grinding The Hunt for The Thing when we could have gotten it with Avengers vs Ultron ? 4 hours per day to get a new character ? 20 hours of grinding ?

Am I bedazzled because we don't have 2 subsequent subs every 12 hours ?

No, because it should never have happened in the past.

The devs would have known that a long time ago, had they played the game the way they expect us to play it.

I have other responses, but I did not want them to detract for the genuineness of what I'm going to say to you. I'm actually very proud that you aren't buying covers (well 9+ per character). I mean that with all sincerity. I'm really proud of you.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    It's great that they added a chance to get 4*s.

It's not great that they're hyping up this new feature that increases your chances to pull the thing that you want as you pull more tokens, but then the actual increase as you pull tokens is tiny.

Here have a brand new wonderful cookie. It has chocolate and will taste wonderful. The cookie is actually only half of a single chocolate chip, though. What a great new cookie feature!

If you stockpile your tokens and cash them together the increase in chances of pulling something good is actually quite great as someone posted in the previous page (hoarding tokens for a month gives you almost a 50% chance of opening a 4*).

Hoarding tokens for a month (60 tokens) and then opening them all at once gives roughly the same chance to open a 4* as if they'd just added 4* tokens to DDQ tokens.

Hoarding for 2.5 months (150 tokens) will allow you to increase the chance per token of drawing a 4* from exactly 1% (3/300) to exactly 2% (150/300) if you draw no 4*s in those first 150 tokens.
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Oh come on you negative nancies.

It's a first iteration, and a conservative one at that, but it will be tweaked, Ice already said as much.

Some chance at 4*s is better than none, it's a step in the right direction.

People keep saying less items in the Vault would be even better. Well, if they just let you pick out the exact cover you wanted every time you redeemed a token that would even be better than less items in the Vault. That would be the betterest system.

If you eat no salt, you will die. If you eat a pound of salt in one day, you will die. Obviously, since I would like to eat some salt, I must be in favor of eating a pound of it at once!

Surely there is a balance, and surely that balance involves a meaningful increase in the chance to pull what you want with each additional pull. Instead, we can double our odds (from 1% to 2%!) by pulling 150 tokens.

I think it's a great idea, but like most great ideas in this game, the actual implementation is very lacking, leaving what could have been great as instead just disappointing.

Based on your arguments, I assume that you'd like my life saving drug that I referred to earlier, right? It'll increase your lifespan! By 1.5 seconds and you can only take it once. Oh, and I forgot that we had thousands of doctors working on it for years, it's a few thousand dollars, and the treatment takes a painful hour. But it's a great idea, right? A life-extending drug!!!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    You guys realize you are not "entitled" to anything right? It is a game, they make it, you play it. 4*'s are supposed to be hard to get. If everyone got all of them all the time, it would be no fun, and everyone would just stop playing.

When i first started playing, those taco tokens are how i built my 2* roster! Then as i got 3*'s i started to hoard and build 3*'s.. 4*'s should never be a gimme. NEVER. It is currently the endgame, and HAS to be difficult, or what is the point?
  • It's been a long time since I stopped instamaxing the characters right after release.

I was buying the remaining 3-4 after the end of the featured PvP.

I decided to spend my money in Marvel Comics instead, and reading them is real fun and pleasure. I understand now why so many players love the Marvel Universe.

To be honest, I'd love to spend money again in the game, because this is the way I am. But I don't find reasons to do so anymore.

I'm also glad (not proud) to enjoy the game the way quite many players are enjoying it, the most known are in DjangoUnbuffed.

I FINALLY understood Locked's philosophy, after struggling fiercely against it.

We will all be proud (as you say), when Colognoisseur becomes F2P also. It will mean a lot...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Because who doesn't like math in the morning. Odds based on 10 tokens, and distribution from Ice earlier in thread:

Chances of drawing a 4* - 9.7017% (up from 0%)
    Chances of drawing 1000HP - 3.33% (up from 2.96%)
    Chances of drawing ANY HP - 36.23% (up from 35.57%)
    Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 65.13%)
    Chances of drawing ANY 3* - 42.87%
    Chances of drawing 10x2* = 0.72% (down from 18.6%)
    Chances of drawing 2* or Health only - 5.86%
    Chances of drawing 10x Featured 3* - 0.00000000002% (down from 0.00000310585%)

Edit:
    One more:

61 tokens is break even point for 4* (better than 50% to draw)
    Here's a graph:

73YuSIg.jpg
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Because who doesn't like math in the morning. Odds based on 10 tokens, and distribution from Ice earlier in thread:

Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 69.51%)

And the amount that this differs from if they'd just changed the odds on DDQ tokens is minuscule.

The point is not whether the current odds are better than before. The point is that pulling a thing out of the vault barely changes the odds when there are 300 things in the vault and it resets every 5 days. That makes it so the main feature of the vault might as well not even be there.
  • Malcrof

Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 69.51%)

The problem with Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 69.51%) is that in the taco tokens, that is incorrect. Each token was only a small %, opening 10 didn't increase that at all, you could open 40 and get all 2*'s. In the new system, your chances go UP each token you open

increases for 10 and 40 packs not included.
  • The problem in the whole thing is the statistics.

I wonder if "player's enjoyment" is a variable taken into account ?

What's the probability of getting a happy player when the packs are not so **** ?

What's the probability of retaining a player if you make him win without losing sleep ?

What's the probability of building a sane playing environment if your playerbase have a life besides MPQ ?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Malcrof wrote:

The problem with Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 65.13%) is that in the taco tokens, that is incorrect. Each token was only a small %, opening 10 didn't increase that at all, you could open 40 and get all 2*'s. In the new system, your chances go UP each token you open

Math isn't incorrect (on single tokens, I didn't think people gave a care about 10/42 packs).

Opening 10 tokens @ .100 (current 3* odds, accounting for .858 2* and .042 HP). 1 - (.112^10) = 69.51% of at least one 3*

10 tokens in this system - 1- (285/300*284/299*283/298....etc) = 40.61% odds of at least one 3*

Edit
    actually scratch that, IceIX has the odds wrong, he quoted 84.5%, it's more than that since it's 6.6% in game. So 65.13%. I'll edit other post.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:

The problem with Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 69.51%) is that in the taco tokens, that is incorrect. Each token was only a small %, opening 10 didn't increase that at all, you could open 40 and get all 2*'s. In the new system, your chances go UP each token you open

Math isn't incorrect (on single tokens, I didn't think people gave a care about 10/42 packs).

Opening 10 tokens @ .112 (current 3* odds, accounting for .845 2* and .043 HP). 1 - (.112^10) = 69.51% of at least one 3*

10 tokens in this system - 1- (285/300*284/299*283/298....etc) = 40.61% odds of at least one 3*

I was thinking you were comparing it to the old system.. in the old system, each token is the same odds no matter how many you open, opening more does not increase your chances at anything at all. I opened 20 yesterday, got 1 3* and 0 HP.. 18 2* magneto and an ares. So no, in the old system number of tokens had nothing to do with odds or percentages, each token is a separate entity with the identical odds as the one before it.

New system, get a bad draw, odds increase, so number of tokens is actually helpful now.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    edited June 2015
    Raffoon wrote:

And the amount that this differs from if they'd just changed the odds on DDQ tokens is minuscule.

The point is not whether the current odds are better than before. The point is that pulling a thing out of the vault barely changes the odds when there are 300 things in the vault and it resets every 5 days. That makes it so the main feature of the vault might as well not even be there.

It's a first iteration. With framework in place, it's easier to expand/contract the model as required. Just tweaking the tokens (like they've done with Heroics a few times now) doesn't really resonate.

And don't sell short the impulse of people (not forumites) buying more DDQ tokens when they see a (miniscule) increase in odds of something they really want.

But yeah we get it, the game sucks, don't put money in it, blah blah.
  • Malcrof
    Raffoon wrote:

It's a first iteration. With framework in place, it's easier to expand/contract the model as required. Just tweaking the tokens (like they've done with Heroics a few times now) doesn't really resonate.

And don't sell short the impulse of people (not forumites) buying more DDQ tokens when they see a (miniscule) increase in odds of something they really want.

But yeah we get it, the game sucks, don't put money in it, blah blah.

and i totally plan on buying a token pack or 2 when a 4* i really want is in there. I do plan on tracking it though, just for you math peeps.. the one thing i am very excited about though, are the 3 health packs.. if i can snag an extra 20 or so health packs, that 2k progression PX blue in shield sim will be mine!!! (only cover i do not have for him)
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chances of drawing ANY Featured 3* - 40.61% (down from 65.13%)
    Speaking as a 2* -> 3* transitioner...

OUCH! icon_e_sad.gif

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I never wanted to see 4* in the DDQ tokens. I hate pulling the damn things. I don't roster them, I don't chase them. My 3* roster isn't nearly complete, so I really can't waste slots on poorly-covered 4* characters. Heck, I sold the 2/1/1 XForce I had when he was worth 1000 spideycoin.png, because that unlocked two slots, and that was far more useful to me than a character I might fully cover in, oh, 12 months? If that.

So my chances to get usable 3* covers from these tokens just took a MAJOR hit, all so the elite players can get more 4*. I don't even get a significant improvement in the odds of getting HP in compensation. No, I get a chance to pull health packs instead! Be still my beating heart icon_rolleyes.gif

Bah.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    So my chances to get usable 3* covers from these tokens just took a MAJOR hit, all so the elite players can get more 4*. I don't even get a significant improvement in the odds of getting HP in compensation. No, I get a chance to pull health packs instead! Be still my beating heart.

For the people just starting out, where almost every single 3* cover is useful, this might be a downgrade.

But it doesn't take long before people start getting 5 covers in some colors for characters (or 3 covers in their weakest color). At that point, those 3* covers are no longer useful except as ISO.

When you know what 3* covers are available, you can make a much more informed decision about when to spend your tokens. For someone who's well along in the 2*-->3* transition, the system is better, because you can wait to pull until a large portion of the available 3* tokens are useful to you.

For most people, this will be an improvement. If it isn't currently an improvement for you, wait a couple months and it will be. Long-term, you'll benefit.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think a lot of the disappointment here comes from the excitement they seemed to show in the videos when talking about it. They made us feel like it was this awesome new thing that was coming and then we saw it and said "ok, I guess that's a little better than the old one". It's better than it was, but not by any means the exciting or awesome new toy we thought was coming.

That said, I think one thing being overlooked here is just how easy it is to obtain the tokens you'll be using for the vault. You can get your 2 tokens per day for what, 5 minutes of effort? If that.

I've never had the patience for hoarding, this is really going to be a test for me. icon_lol.gif
  • Another one of the consequences is that if you get a good draw off the bat, you're probably better hoarding the rest. With this system there's at most 40 tokens I'm interested in:
    3x random 4* covers (completely random characters/abilities)
    3x random 3* Featured Character 1
    3x random 3* Featured Character 2
    3x random 3* Featured Character 3
    3x random 3* Featured Character 4
    3x random 3* Featured Character 5
    9x random 3* covers
    1x 1000 Hero Points
    12x 250 Hero Points

Realistically, at least 10+ of those will be 500 iso for me, so that's down to 30 desired tokens per 300.
    If I draw a 4*, I definitely have to hoard the rest.

For the real long term player, it might get down to <16 of 300:
    3x random 4* covers
    1x 1000 Hero Points
    12x 250 Hero Points

Also does any other old-timer find it confusing that heroes used to get put in "the Vault" meaning you could no longer get them, and now heroes are getting put in "the Vault" meaning that you can get them more easily?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    daibar wrote:
    Another one of the consequences is that if you get a good draw off the bat, you're probably better hoarding the rest. With this system there's at most 40 tokens I'm interested in:
    3x random 4* covers (completely random characters/abilities)
    3x random 3* Featured Character 1
    3x random 3* Featured Character 2
    3x random 3* Featured Character 3
    3x random 3* Featured Character 4
    3x random 3* Featured Character 5
    9x random 3* covers
    1x 1000 Hero Points
    12x 250 Hero Points

Realistically, at least 10+ of those will be 500 iso for me, so that's down to 30 desired tokens per 300.
    If I draw a 4*, I definitely have to hoard the rest.

For the real long term player, it might get down to <16 of 300:
    3x random 4* covers
    1x 1000 Hero Points
    12x 250 Hero Points

Also does any other old-timer find it confusing that heroes used to get put in "the Vault" meaning you could no longer get them, and now heroes are getting put in "the Vault" meaning that you can get them more easily?

I would add the 10, 5, and 1.5k ISO to the mix, all are definitely more desirable than 92.5% of the 3* for me at this point, since as you said the 3* are 500iso. That puts it at 49/300.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    1:58 in the video you explain that goon match damage would be corrected. I think you forgot that
    GBrho6K.png