**** The Thing (Classic) ****

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Square wrote:
    Will this put an end to the "Marvel is forcing D3 not to use FF characters claims"? Unlikely.
    Tin foil is as tin foil does. We can, in theory, use any character in the Marvel universe. Some are just more difficult to manage rights on than others. (Lookin' at you, Namor!)
    Yeah, I was thinking
    "They need a 4* Hulk, that should be World War Hulk"
    "If they do WWH, they already have Sentry, PX, Black Panther, and Iron Man, they just need Namor, Black Bolt and Doc Strange."

Get us Doc Strange and Black Bolt while waiting on Namor!(Sorry WWH is most likely my favorite Marvel Arc)
    - Unreall
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Square wrote:
    Will this put an end to the "Marvel is forcing D3 not to use FF characters claims"? Unlikely.
    Tin foil is as tin foil does. We can, in theory, use any character in the Marvel universe. Some are just more difficult to manage rights on than others. (Lookin' at you, Namor!)

I'm just accepting that something has changed. This is the first Fantastic Four related anything I've seen released in the last year, and it doesn't change the fact that Marvel is editing FF and X-Men characters out of existing artwork and leaving them out of the character poster. I'm still not sure whether it's a one-off or whether it represents an actual change at Marvel.

Not true, they did buff Invisible Woman again.

On a side note: Why does Thing's logo have the "4" ? What are you going to use for Mr. Fantastic, a 4 as well? I know we have multiple X variations for X-Men, just curious.
  • Unknown
    Options

That's not a new release. They added Doom's third skill during that time too, for that matter.

One of two things happened:
    1. Marvel/Disney's changed their policies and is allowing new stuff
    2. D3 got an exception either because their contract doesn't allow Marvel to block characters or something along those lines

If other stuff starts coming out it's 1, if this remains the only exception during a big sea of no-new-stuff then it's 2.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

That's not a new release. They added Doom's third skill during that time too, for that matter.

One of two things happened:
    1. Marvel/Disney's changed their policies and is allowing new stuff
    2. D3 got an exception either because their contract doesn't allow Marvel to block characters or something along those lines

If other stuff starts coming out it's 1, if this remains the only exception during a big sea of no-new-stuff then it's 2.

to be fair you did not state "F4 releases" you said "F4 related anything" icon_e_wink.gif. Good point on the 3rd Doom skill as well.

I agree, I am sure Marvel/Disney changed their policy on specific things such as mobile games. Thing added to MPQ does not promote the upcoming Fox movie. I still think QS's skills were supposed to be Mr. Fantastic but regardless I am sure he'll be in the game by the end of the year.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doom was just added to MH like a month ago....
  • binarypillbug
    binarypillbug Posts: 106
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If anyone wants to know what The Things green power currently looks like in-game, here it is:

POWER COST 12
    The Thing wallops his target so hard they go crashing through the battlefield. Deals 466 damage and destroys a random 3x3 block of tiles on the game board. Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP.

Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: Deals 531 damage.
    Level 3: Deals 603 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern).
    Level 4: Deals 1014 damage.
    Level 5: Deals 1882 damage and destroys 16 tiles (4x4 pattern).

At Max Level:
    Level 3: Deals 1194 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern)
    Level 4: Deals 2008 damage and destroys 13 tiles (Diamond pattern)
    Level 5: Deals 3728 damage and destroys 16 tiles (4x4 pattern)

edit: gosh darn it ice
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Angel was also just released as a Team-Up in Marvel Heroes.

Obviously, I'm not a lawyer, nor can I know what's in any other game's contract, but I can say that we're not specifically locked out of any families. Just that getting some characters in game requires a lot or a little legwork with rights negotiations and the like. Which, depending on the character may well just make it not worth the time/money involved in a release as a result.

More on topic, confirmed that the Yancy Street Special damage as written in-game is a bug, it's using the wrong scalar. We'll be pushing a fix Soon(tm).
  • Unknown
    Options
    I do not know why they made the Thing a 4 star character, and the HULK 3 star, when he HULK is stronger than the thing. It would be nice if the made the Grey HULK and make him a legendary character.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Scooby305 wrote:
    I do not know why they made the Thing a 4 star character, and the HULK 3 star, when he HULK is stronger than the thing. It would be nice if the made the Grey HULK and make him a legendary character.
    you're right, squirrel girl should be a google-star character.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Scooby305 wrote:
    you're right, squirrel girl should be a google-star character.
    The math term is actually spelled Googol, unlike the search engine company. But I agree about Squirrel Girl. icon_e_smile.gif
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    And IW's logo could be redesigned into a 4 surrounded by bubbles

Uhhh... like it is already? icon_invisiblewoman.png
  • Unknown
    Options

no he said FOUR bubbles surrounding it, much different
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

I thought he wanted the bubbles to be in the shape of a 4
  • ProfessorGumby
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

"... a 4 surrounded by bubbles" <> "FOUR bubbles surrounding it"
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

There's already a 4 surrounded by bubbles, zoom in
  • ProfessorGumby
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    BlackBoltRocks "And IW's logo could be redesigned into a 4 surrounded by bubbles"

There's already a 4 surrounded by bubbles, zoom in

Are you intentionally being obtuse? The series of nested quotes here are clear.

BBR - IW's logo could be a 4 surrounded by bubbles
    PG - It already is
    RBM - He said FOUR bubbles surrounding it
    PG - No... what he said and what you said are not the same thing
    RBM - It already is

I KNOW! I pointed that out three posts ago.

Now... if you want to get particular and say that the bubbles aren't "surrounding" the 4, but are actually "overlaying" the 4... fine. That could be what BBR intended in his post... but I doubt it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My plan, I think:

As I've mentioned before, I have a big pile of HP (~29k now that I've opened a slot for my namesake) because I've never bought a cover, partly because I was waiting for The Thing. Obviously, now is when I spend it.

Him being a 4* complicates it a bit. If he had a clear build, I'd be more comfortable spending HP on covers, but I'm going to have to figure out how I use him first. I don't want to spend 2500 HP on a cover I respec away.

So my plan is to get him so that he's 3/3/3 following the PVP where he's the progression award (i.e., raise him to 3/3/2 with the 2 as the 1000 award in his inaugural PVP). I think his soft cap will be lower than the 180 my 4*s are at right now (and I have ~350k ISO in reserve) so I'll take him to his soft cap. And then I'll figure out the rest of the way. If I'm lucky, I might only have to buy 6-7 covers total.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My plan, I think:

As I've mentioned before, I have a big pile of HP (~29k now that I've opened a slot for my namesake) because I've never bought a cover, partly because I was waiting for The Thing. Obviously, now is when I spend it.

Him being a 4* complicates it a bit. If he had a clear build, I'd be more comfortable spending HP on covers, but I'm going to have to figure out how I use him first. I don't want to spend 2500 HP on a cover I respec away.

So my plan is to get him so that he's 3/3/3 following the PVP where he's the progression award (i.e., raise him to 3/3/2 with the 2 as the 1000 award in his inaugural PVP). I think his soft cap will be lower than the 180 my 4*s are at right now (and I have ~350k ISO in reserve) so I'll take him to his soft cap. And then I'll figure out the rest of the way. If I'm lucky, I might only have to buy 6-7 covers total.

I would go 5 yellows, and pair him with a support character like professor X or Hood, they will never get 1 shot unless The Thing gets taken down first, and by that time, you will probably have too many protect tiles, while professor strengthens them, or hood will steal enough for you to kill the enemy team.

Ideally, The Thing, HB, Professor X would be a great team.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    MPQ fans - It's Clobberin' Time!

Ben Grimm, aka the Thing, has blasted his way into Marvel Puzzle Quest and you can uncover character details at Marvel.com. In today's chat, MPQ Producer, Joe Fletcher outlines the Thing's hearty playstyle and rock-crushing abilities. A look at the new Vault feature is also on-tap. Tasty screenshots are included.

You can read all of the "smashy goodness" RIGHT HERE.

PIECING TOGETHER MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST: THE THING
    Quote:
    "Marvel.com: I have to admit, I’m more excited for the ever-lovin’ blue-eyed Thing, than I have any real right to be. Why is Ben Grimm so awesome and why do we need him in “Puzzle Quest”?

Joe Fletcher: He’s a living hunk of orange rock that can punch you through a wall, but won’t because he’s a nice guy. What’s not to like?! Really though, he’s a great addition to the higher end metagame that’s a lot of fun to play. He provides a lot of defense with a ton of hit points and an ability that makes it difficult for opponents to get at his weaker teammates."
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sagapo wrote:
    Ideally, The Thing, HB, Professor X would be a great team.
    I'm not seeing it. There's nothing to accelerate HB's black or red, there's nothing to generate match5s for PX, there are no spammy attacks to trigger PX's yellow. If the idea is just to annoy people who attack you, there are way more annoying combos than this, and your battles would end up taking longer than those of the people you're trying to annoy.