**** The Thing (Classic) ****

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    And when you hit him on the next move, he'll fire off more protects
    That's NOT how he works. And yet I still get hassled for asking people, "Do you not understand how this ability works?"
  • simonsez
    Malcrof wrote:
    And for anyone bringing loki, realize, he can one shot loki at will.
    Why would I put loki in front of him if he has enough AP to launch something?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    And for anyone bringing loki, realize, he can one shot loki at will.
    Why would I put loki in front of him if he has enough AP to launch something?

Was thinking about on defense. If i have this char, and you do not, and you have loki to counter his tiles, guess what, loki doesn't have a prayer.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    So you aim berserk rage at someone else, he jumps to take it, creates protect tiles, you use trickery and now you have 3k worth strike tiles and 1200 worth in protect tiles. Nice.
    And when you hit him on the next move, he'll fire off more protects that will most likely start to match and cancel out those strike tiles that you made, then on your next attack, there is a good chance he'll fire off AGAIN, leaving him with possibly somewhere around 2k-3k of protect tiles, and you without the strike tiles to truly chews through it. All you get out of the transaction is some protect tiles that you could have gotten by better means, and maybe 5k of dmg, which is good, don't get me wrong, but looking at almost 18k of health...is ONLY A DENT., and to do that you've consumed a TON of black and most likely your green, you won't be doing again anytime soon...so you'll be doing NO dmg while the whole time he's been building AP and will continue to do so to use himself *meh* or for whom ever he's protecting to use it (IMHB for instance).

I'm not saying it's a totally flawed approach, but Patch/Loki is not some mystical 'iWin' button against this guy. I'd rather bring high dmg and massive board shake-up to just erase the tiles, since he will STILL get hit at full cost initially.
    - Unreall
    With 3k in strike tiles I would aim this thing first and make sure no other protect tiles will pop-up, and this would take only a few turns.
    daibar wrote:
    Definitely think people are underestimating his yellow. Nearly 18k health is nothing to laugh at when you're trying to take down a support behind him. When he's boosted?! Trying to use only match damage to take down a support is just too slow.

This guy takes away much of the Daken vs Hood strategy because you can't use Chemical Reaction to finish.
    What about IF attack tile and match damage together, dealing about 700 damage per turn on Hood? IF is someone I would bring in anyway, no need to a specific strat against this thing and Hood.
  • simonsez
    Malcrof wrote:
    Was thinking about on defense
    The AI wouldn't know how to properly use trickery in this scenario, and Loki will never be part of my defensive team anyway. Let's face it, defense was never a huge part of PvP, and after the points adjustment, it's completely irrelevant now. So whether someone hits me with this, or with HB/Fist, it doesn't matter, because 95% of the time, I'm going to lose 55 points either way. What matters is, what I'm going to use against this guy, and I'm not seeing much mystery or difficulty.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Was thinking about on defense
    The AI wouldn't know how to properly use trickery in this scenario, and Loki will never be part of my defensive team anyway. Let's face it, defense was never a huge part of PvP, and after the points adjustment, it's completely irrelevant now. So whether someone hits me with this, or with HB/Fist, it doesn't matter, because 95% of the time, I'm going to lose 55 points either way. What matters is, what I'm going to use against this guy, and I'm not seeing much mystery or difficulty.
    I have to disagree. A +0 is much better than a -50. Loki buffed is a pain, you focus him and takes more time or leave him be to focus the other problem (the big hitter) and he screws you.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    And when you hit him on the next move, he'll fire off more protects
    That's NOT how he works. And yet I still get hassled for asking people, "Do you not understand how this ability works?"

STILL

Dude. This conversation isn't a week old, and you are acting like you wrote a book 50 years ago. "Thing strategies in Marvel Puzzle Quest"

"Still". Be serious.
  • simonsez
    ronin-san wrote:
    STILL
    Yes. See definition 2, not 1. And thanks for helping the conversation.

adverb
    up to and including the present or the time mentioned; even now (or then) as formerly.
    "he still lives with his mother"
    synonyms: up to this time, up to the present time, until now, even now, yet
    "she's still running in circles"
    nevertheless; all the same.
    "I'm afraid he's crazy. Still, he's harmless"
    synonyms: nevertheless, nonetheless, regardless, all the same, just the same, anyway, anyhow, even so, yet, but, however, notwithstanding, despite that, in spite of that, for all that, be that as it may, in any event, at any rate; More
    verb
  • The reason we're discussing defense is because this guy doesn't look great on offense. Sure, you could talk red accelerators like Cyclops (exchange 1 row destruction for 600 dmg and 2 turn stun) , or green accelerators like Khan (her Green is still more damaging), but it's still unimpressive. He's not going to unseat Fistbuster. His yellow is the only thing that's purely stronger than any other skill of the same type.

On defense, his yellow will never go off unless the person attacking you is careless or a crit cascade happens, especially if they're using 4Thor with a charged tile+crit. It's like Loki's mischief, kind of like a really obvious trap that forces you to play differently to side step it: not the end of the world if it goes off, but certainly annoying.

At full strength, his yellow shields completely counters Gamora's Razor's Edge (unboosted).
  • simonsez
    daibar wrote:
    this guy doesn't look great on offense. On defense, his yellow will never go off unless the person attacking you is careless or a crit cascade happens
    Best summary so far...
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    What I'm hearing is that his yellow needs to be changed to, when X damage is being dealt:

1) If he is not in front and he has more health, then jump in front to take the hit;
    2) If he takes a hit that causes X damage, poop out some protect tiles.

You need to make the protect tiles weaker if he is going to pump them out even without jumping in front.

Maybe make it so that he drops the regular strength protect tiles if he jumps in front, and drops 1/8th strength protect tiles if he's already out front (or drops one regular strength protect tile instead of 3-5, so as not to fill the board with garbage tiles).

Again, on D, this guy is going to be extremely easy to beat with a Loki/Patch combo (Berserker Rage to trigger the protect tiles, Loki to steal the strike and protect tiles) or just Loki. Obviously it means that any other basic match damage is going to trigger the protect tiles again, which means you just need to target [Thing] with your super powered match damage until he's dead.

What would be interesting is (if he is indeed Thing) to have strike tiles "break" when they hit him. Hitting the rock monster breaks your weapon... every time Thing is attacked, it destroys an enemy strike tile. In this way, his own ability wouldn't be able to be used against him as easily.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:
    What would be interesting is (if he is indeed Thing) to have strike tiles "break" when they hit him. Hitting the rock monster breaks your weapon... every time Thing is attacked, it destroys an enemy strike tile. In this way, his own ability wouldn't be able to be used against him as easily.

I love this idea.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    this guy doesn't look great on offense. On defense, his yellow will never go off unless the person attacking you is careless or a crit cascade happens
    Best summary so far...

I can't count the number of times I forgot that Deadpool was on the enemy team and went to hit a weaker team member and got surprised by LotP. I can definitely see that happening with this character too.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    He is a tank, Tanks historically in MMO's deal less damage, but can take a pounding. I think these abilities are just about perfect.. And for anyone bringing loki, realize, he can one shot loki at will.
    but this isn't a MMO.

Typically tanks can do as much damage as DPS(Damage?Carry?Fragile?) characters, take a beating, and still die to strike tiles in MPQ

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
    mjh wrote:
    Can I say that I am sick of the character releases now?

I am almost on Day 500 and have been playing consistently. I am still trying to obtain icon_professorx.png covers, let alone icon_ironman.png IMHB, and let's not forget icon_carnage.png and now this guy. Who can keep up except those that not only spend way too much of their time grinding PVE for all 3 covers but then immediately buy the rest?

With this guy they really need to release him the same way they did for icon_ironman.png IMHB. The PVE grind is way past old at this point and this guy seems a bit OP.

Did I mention I'm still trying to get icon_professorx.png covers after how many months now? This might be the end for me

cheer up, they said they're going to speak "in a day or so", probably about another 4*. Wait, that won't cheer you up.... icon_rolleyes.gif

PS: They said they're implementing vault for 4* characters if you can last till then.
    TLCstormz wrote:
    .........where is Ant / Giant Man?

next ultron mebbe
  • ronin-san wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Use daken against hood and you die.

Grinding down hood only seems like an answer for people who don't play the game.

He has the fastest bursty damage in the 3* range and generates free strike tiles no matter what Hood is stealing. I think you need to give him another look.
    If you get up enough tile damage to actually hurt hood, Thing will start jumping in front of him every turn. IF you use blue, Thing jumps in front. So I assume your plan is to hit hood with match damage until he dies.

By then he'll have drained way more than enough for his teammates to kill your team.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    It could be Cable.

This guy is almost a counter to patch/loki, not extra vulnerable to it. Especially teamed with DP, he's hilarious.

Berserk Rage + "Dude jumps in Front" + Trickery = about 3k in strikes. Yes, awesome! But then what? If you match against someone else, you'll be above the threshold and he'll pump out more protects, marginalizing the strikes you made. So you need to attack him, which buys his opponents time because he has 10+k health left. Or DP can jump in and really protect whoever you've got third. You can make the case that he's low damage, but Kingpin/Hood is killing you while you deal with him. Perfect play against him won't trigger his ability, but again, that means the first 17k you do has to target this low-damage meatwad while his allies are building up better attacks. He supports XF/Fury really well, especially with the occasional well-timed stun. I think I'd play him 4/4/5 (but let's face it he'll probably be 0/0/0 for a year) to get the 2-turn stun and best green effect since that's likely the team I'd want him backing up.

On offense you'll probably be able to control when his ability goes off and then seriously reduce enemy attacks for the rest of the battle.

I'm wondering if the devs ran simulations of Green's potential; is 16 tiles actually any better at cascading than 13 in a diamond?
  • simonsez
    ErikPeter wrote:
    This guy is almost a counter to patch/loki. Berserk Rage + "Dude jumps in Front" + Trickery = about 3k in strikes. So you need to attack him, which buys his opponents time because he has 10+k health left.
    So he's dead in 3 more turns. And then everyone else is, 5 or 6 turns later. Hell of counter.
  • Malcrof
    At max covers/levels, he doesn't even jump in unless damage is over 1300+ Bring Vision, go density heavy, and Hood is gone in 2 or 3 moves.... or use Psylocke, or even DP (a little off the top after you have hood down a bit will not cause him to jump in front).
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    ErikPeter wrote:
    It could be Cable.

This guy is almost a counter to patch/loki, not extra vulnerable to it. Especially teamed with DP, he's hilarious.

Deadpool as a combo for him is hilarious, especially against Berserker Rage and Trickery.

You target Deadpool, [Thing] jumps in front. You target [Thing], Deadpool jumps in front. You can't hit either of them for big damage consistently because as long as one of them has more health than the other, you can't hit them hard.

I'd love to see those two boosted together. Throw Prof X behind them and have him hide until he's the last one left.
  • Malcrof
    Buret0 wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:
    It could be Cable.

Deadpool as a combo for him is hilarious, especially against Berserker Rage and Trickery.

You target Deadpool, [Thing] jumps in front. You target [Thing], Deadpool jumps in front. You can't hit either of them for big damage consistently because as long as one of them has more health than the other, you can't hit them hard.

I'd love to see those two boosted together. Throw Prof X behind them and have him hide until he's the last one left.

Wonder if IW can invis him, and if he will still jump in front..