**** The Thing (Classic) ****

Options

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    poomermon wrote:
    Realistically yellow won't trigger from anything other than abilities and the treshold difference between 3 and 5 covers is minimal. Extra protect tiles seem like overkill and anything less than 5 in his other colors will make them totally worthless. So 535 seems like obvious build.

Should work nicely with Hood protecting him from nukes. Add in Cage and you have impervious defence team worthy of many skips.

867 in protect tiles (at level 270) versus 1805 in protect tiles?

Since neither of his Red/Green abilities are really all that great from a damage per AP basis, you are going to want to use this guy as a tank. Why max out both of his damage abilities when you can probably cover them better from someone else?

The only thing this character does better than anyone else is protection, so why cheap out on it?

5/5/3 gives you a good stun for 10 redtile.png AP. The damage isn't great, but at least you are going to slow the damage down further, which gives you the time to build up your nuke.
  • Buret0
    Options
    Why are people guessing about this character's health? It very clearly says this character has 17759 health in IceIX's post.

Because reading. icon_redface.gif
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I lean towards 3/5/5 because of the lack of good green abilities in star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png territory.

Look. I get that SuzyQ is under appreciated. But couple her maxed yellow with this guy's yellow. You simply are not taking damage. You would HAVE to bring a Loki to have a chance of surviving.

Well, I guess 5/3/5 if coupled with SuzyQ. But that is because I drew 5/5/2 for Sue. I love her yellow now.

Grant Invisibility - Cost: 9 Yellow AP
    The Invisible Woman hides the weakest member of the team. Converts a random basic Yellow tile into an Invisibility tile. While it’s on the board, the invisible character can’t be targeted.
    Level 2. Also creates 1 protect tile of strength 50.
    Level 3. Also creates 2 protect tiles of strength 50.
    Level 4. Also creates 2 protect tiles of strength 92.
    Level 5. Also creates 4 protect tiles of strength 92.
    Max Level: Creates 4 protect tiles of strength 184.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    You would HAVE to bring a Loki to have a chance of surviving.
    Why is anyone afraid of his protect tiles? Just target him first and you'll never see them. Or bring Loki and trigger them on purpose.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Options
    icon_caroldanvers.png + icon_deadpool.png + icon_rocket.png

damage/stun, jump in front, board shake
  • Unknown
    Options
    So you aim berserk rage at someone else, he jumps to take it, creates protect tiles, you use trickery and now you have 3k worth strike tiles and 1200 worth in protect tiles. Nice.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ShionSinX wrote:
    So you aim berserk rage at someone else, he jumps to take it, creates protect tiles, you use trickery and now you have 3k worth strike tiles and 1200 worth in protect tiles. Nice.

Finally, you can do Berserker's Rage without even bringing Patch to the fight!
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    notamutant wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

Finally, you can do Berserker's Rage without even bringing Patch to the fight!

Dont talk about Loki too much though, character preview feedback reading dev will overreact again, nerfing Loki!
  • Buret0
    Options
    Make it tricky to get Trickery? icon_e_smile.gif

Hood and Cage to make an AP steal nightmare?

Problem is, then you are relying on his Red/Green or Hood/Cage's Yellow for the bulk of your damage.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    I think the yellow passive is an interesting ability, because from my reading there seems to be NO LIMIT to how many protect tiles can be generated by this ability.

This unknown character is going to be a nightmare if combined with deadpool. Basically you'll be doing turns whittling down their health side by side, taking turns targeting each w/ 3-match, or hope you can use some aoe to knock them out asap.

If you combine this guy w/ deadpool AND Captain Marvel, aoe dmg will simply generate ap to feed your hitters. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    I think the yellow passive is an interesting ability, because from my reading there seems to be NO LIMIT to how many protect tiles can be generated by this ability.

This unknown character is going to be a nightmare if combined with deadpool. Basically you'll be doing turns whittling down their health side by side, taking turns targeting each w/ 3-match, or hope you can use some aoe to knock them out asap.

If you combine this guy w/ deadpool AND Captain Marvel, aoe dmg will simply generate ap to feed your hitters. icon_mrgreen.gif

But dp, cap marvel and the new guy are doable only in limited scenarios (featured character, simulator and... PVE nodes).

Besides, the loki-patch combo would still be (really) effective, if I am not missing something: leave cap marvel alone, target deadpool with a berserker rage> let the new guy jump in front> cast trickery.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    You would HAVE to bring a Loki to have a chance of surviving.
    Why is anyone afraid of his protect tiles? Just target him first and you'll never see them. Or bring Loki and trigger them on purpose.

You going to target thing over Hood?
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is clearly The Thing from the thematic nature of those skills.

I mean he's punching a diamond or huge block into the board shaped just like a closed fist.
    His red is a punch to the face with his stone fist...makes sense it would daze you for a bit (aka stun).
    Protecting tiles are just another way to reflect resiliancy without simply copying other existing characters like Cage or Colossus.

Build wise I consider his yellow a MUST have 5.
    I'm normally against defensive skills but this is the first one in ages that can really help deal with SKILL damage and not simply match damage. Lets face his, his red is strictly worse thatn 4Thor's and HB's and his green is on par with IW. You aren't building this character to make up for lacking offense. He's flat out support/utility designed to keep important allies alive longer to accomplish their goal.

I'm inclined to say 553 is the best build because a support character would rather have a stun option over a huge board shake that will likley destroy his own protect tiles.
    That said, 355 is completely viable should you pair him primarily with a red spenders.

I like this characters design and possible team configurations....a LOT.
    He's annoying but not in a way that sucks the fun out of the game like Carnage.

Great job here D3! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I'm surprised people are liking the green? 500 damage/ap is really not that great, especially with it being ridiculously expensive, and a square is the worst tile destruction shape for cascades

This would be why I'm leaning 5/5/3. Diamonds forever.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    You going to target thing over Hood?
    Do you not understand how this ability works? If you throw a nuke at Hood, this guy is going to take the damage anyway, AND generate protect tiles.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Uh? I don't understand why some people are so down on this character. He's very similar to Luke Cage who is a favourite:

-His green compares to Cage's yellow. Cage's deals around 1k damage more but is conditional on teammates being alive, while Ben Grimm's (I mean, c'mon) costs one less AP, is not conditional and has an effect on the board.
    -His red compares to Cage's black. You have to pay it in one lump payment instead of two (though most people will wait until having 12 black anyway) and it deals 1k less damage, but you get a discount of 2 AP and get the stun increased to two turns.
    -His yellow is initially worse than Cage's red as it doesn't reduce match damage from turn two, but the moment the AI gets AP for a damaging ability, it becomes much, much better.

I guess that people would expect that "comparable to a 3*" instead of much better is not exciting in 4* land, but when you couple it with that massive HP and the fact that you have to target him first, leaving dangerous allies like Hood or Loki cause havoc in the meantime, I'm sure that anything better would have been too much.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    (Normal speaking only as a player disclaimer here)

I'm going to be atypical and go for 4/5/4. It gains the support functionality of the extra turn of stun when I need it, although it does lose that extra punch of the 5th cover. Meanwhile, Green gains a not unhealthy 1000 damage at max level. Given that I see myself using Green more often than Red, as there are many other better Red user to pair with (Deadpool, Goddess Thor, Hulkbuster, etc), the extra damage in Green could come in handy.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    (Normal speaking only as a player disclaimer here)

I'm going to be atypical and go for 4/5/4. It gains the support functionality of the extra turn of stun when I need it, although it does lose that extra punch of the 5th cover. Meanwhile, Green gains a not unhealthy 1000 damage at max level. Given that I see myself using Green more often than Red, as there are many other better Red user to pair with (Deadpool, Goddess Thor, Hulkbuster, etc), the extra damage in Green could come in handy.

I myself will go 5/3/5 because as good as his yellow may be offensively, it's completely dead defensively as everybody will target him first, so might as well have him dealing as much damage as possible while he's still alive.

IceX, can we get a comment on this back-to-back 4* release?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I myself will go 5/3/5 because as good as his yellow may be offensively, it's completely dead defensively as everybody will target him first, so might as well have him dealing as much damage as possible while he's still alive.

Sure, but the 5 Yellow on defense pretty well ensures that the opponent will have to either eat through 17K to hit the people behind or bring a (usually) weaker stunner. There's a lot that can happen during the ramp up to 17K damage, especially when the opponent behind is someone like Hood or Loki. Especially since the 5 Yellow lowers the damage threshold to something that can feasibly trigger against crit tile matches. It *forces* you to focus down the character which is less likely with 3 Yellow.

As for the 4* release, no direct comment, but that's because we've got a community video planned to be coming in the next day or two that'll answer that more fully than I would. icon_e_smile.gif

Edit: Or rather, my goateed evil twin IceX would. I, of course, wouldn't be caught dead monologuing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Sure, but the 5 Yellow on defense pretty well ensures that the opponent will have to either eat through 17K to hit the people behind or bring a (usually) weaker stunner. There's a lot that can happen during the ramp up to 17K damage, especially when the opponent behind is someone like Hood or Loki. Especially since the 5 Yellow lowers the damage threshold to something that can feasibly trigger against crit tile matches. It *forces* you to focus down the character which is less likely with 3 Yellow.

As for the 4* release, no direct comment, but that's because we've got a community video planned to be coming in the next day or two that'll answer that more fully than I would. icon_e_smile.gif
    D3 WILL OFFICIALLY COMMENT IN A DAY OR SO!?!?!??! OMG!!!!!!