MPQ Community Video - June, 2015

Options

Comments

• orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is easier than that. Over two weeks, non-casual players should be able to get at least 300HP from PVE progressives and placement, 150 HP from PVE t250 Alliance, probably at last 50HP from daily drops, and 300 HP (just from the bottom two HP progressives in PVP) and 300 HP from PVP t250 Aliance in PVP. That's not counting hitting higher HP progressives in PVP, individual placement in PVP, or sub rewards in PVE.

That's 1100 HP. Even if you miss out on one or two, it's actually kind of hard not to get 1000 HP every two weeks as a minimum. Many players can make more than that and that's before taking into account any changes that they make to assist with roster slots.
    Others have mentioned it here, I've definitely mentioned it in the past (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24664&hilit=+tax#p306509) but I think there is something inherently wrong with a system that makes you pay for the privilege of having content instead of actually paying for said content, regardless of it being "reasonably" possible over any given time span.

It's a tax on having characters. They are just now capping the tax. Plain and simple. They give out "free" HP over the course of 2 weeks for pretty consistent play, only to have it recouped in the tax on the new character if you want to play competitively. That tells me that any covers you'd prefer to spend it on, you need to pay for it and those are oddly expensive too. Only the hardcore competitors and whales have a reason to drop a dime on this game.

It's their business model but my guess is that semi-casual play doesn't give you many reasons to spend $5 a month and make it feel like it is worth it. That's 1/2 a cover or maybe 3/4 of a roster slot for me at the moment. No thanks.
  • Unknown
    Options
    While there are some good things here there are others that prove D3 has no clue and the vedio made them look like a joke.

For 1K cap on slots, that is around your 74th slot so really new and half way people will not see an impact. it is a temporary fix so make it 500 so people fee it right away until you find your fix.

For simulator, they are surprised why everyone playing this not only new people. Duh guys, did you not make it count towards the season's overall score which means people will play it to earn as much points as possible or is that so hard to think of when developing something?

For the scalling, they are appologizing for what people might incounter. we will encounter easier games, no near impossible nodes and no endless spend on hp and boosts, why would this be an issue? if D3 reads what people say on the forum they would have noticed that everyone is complaining about scalling and that removing it will be a good thing. I know there might be an issue with having new rewards all taken by people with good rosters vs new guys in no scalling but this can be fixed easily, you can ask me if you have truble figuring it out D3.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    I get that there will be pushback on the choice to cap it at 1000 rather than say 500 hp but the fact of the matter is that 1000 hp is completely achievable and reasonable by a top 50 pvp/pve player.

Shouldn't more than the top 5%/10% (depends on event) be able to afford to keep the characters they have earned?

It is easier than that. Over two weeks, non-casual players should be able to get at least 300HP from PVE progressives and placement, 150 HP from PVE t250 Alliance, probably at last 50HP from daily drops, and 300 HP (just from the bottom two HP progressives in PVP) and 300 HP from PVP t250 Aliance in PVP. That's not counting hitting higher HP progressives in PVP, individual placement in PVP, or sub rewards in PVE.

That's 1100 HP. Even if you miss out on one or two, it's actually kind of hard not to get 1000 HP every two weeks as a minimum. Many players can make more than that and that's before taking into account any changes that they make to assist with roster slots.

I don't actually disagree - I estimate I come out with 2500 HP every season when I play PVE. I'm currently paying 800HP for roster slots, so I can get two to three a season.

But this goes to a different point (thought it was in this thread, I guess not) - keeping all that HP was only possible by only shielding once an event and not buying all the roster slots (sold all but two of the 1*'s and four of the 2*'s so far).

Why should your rewards be taxed heavily to keep playing? All of your rewards (HP) must be used -- to simply keep your (cover) rewards.

Is it really the end of the D3 pay plan world to give people two 3* or one 4* cover a season? That is that 2500 HP, if we didn't have to spend it all for roster spots.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Has it been discussed if the ones who paid more than 1000HP per roster will be refunded the difference ?

That would only be fair.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You're kidding right?

But to the meta point, I wonder how many are actually effected now by this change? I believe you'd pretty much need one of every character (or quite a few duplicates if missing the 1*'s) to be a this point. As I've dropped all 1* but two and also dropped several 2*, I'm personally at 60 characters with +1 roster slot being 800hp. So you'd need maybe 65+ to be in the 1000hp range?

I think it at least provides a little piece of mind for those at or nearing this level.

Perhaps this merit's a poll to see how many people actually fall into the 1000hp zone.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    I don't think 4* will be guaranteed with ddq. I'm thinking the 4* will be part of the weekly vault comics, where you have a chance of pulling him with your ddq tokens. If you don't pull him, the next one will have a better chance. With 14 awarded tokens a week, I expect to see at least 20-25 vaulted characters/comics that you are pulling from. So there will probably be weeks where someone doesn't get a 4* token(unless they also purchase tokens).

I like the health pack change. I play in spurts with 8+ hours between my session. 3 of those hours used were used to replenish health packs, but for the other 5 hours, I was gaining nothing(Possible tank health regen aside). So that was good for me.

It did seem like they were not aware that the shield simulator played into the season score. That was such an odd explanation.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Capping slots at 1K is going to help those with 80 or more slots
    81st slot was the first to cost more than 1k. http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Roster_Slots

I find the completionist/hoarder mentality funny, but slightly less so since I have it as well. This game is already pretty decent as a f2p game. Why are people begrudging them for trying to profit from their efforts? I think it's funny that it's labelled a 'tax', as if roster slots are some god given right. Even acknowledging the fact of artificial scarcity, the way the premium currency is doled out for consistent players makes it pretty easy to remain an unpaying player once you get past the first few triple roster slots, given a certain tier of play.

I might be reading into it the wrong way, but it seemed like they were aware that simulator score is part of season score. However, I think everyone outside of say T30 doesn't really care, and T120 only cares that they remain in T100, not so much where they land. For many mid-tier players the draw seems to be the last 3 personal progression rewards.
  • orbitalint
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Why are people begrudging them for trying to profit from their efforts? I think it's funny that it's labelled a 'tax', as if roster slots are some god given right. Even acknowledging the fact of artificial scarcity, the way the premium currency is doled out for consistent players makes it pretty easy to remain an unpaying player once you get past the first few triple roster slots, given a certain tier of play.
    So, for me, I don't have an issue with them trying to make a profit. Honestly, I'm just not a fan that they base their model almost exclusively on Fear of Missing Out-like aspects of psychology. Don't want to lose your ground in PVP? Please pay some currency to shield. Want to compete in PVE on a regular basis? Pay the roster HP so you have access to the exclusive nodes that separate top finishes from everyone else. Everyone else is doing it, so make sure you aren't left out on these "great" rewards!

I just wished they prioritized giving the consumer reasons to invest in their content (covers, skins, whatever) rather than develop mechanisms that give people little choice in how they spend their HP (roster slots). Instead of being able to choose how I'd like make my favorite marvel character be a little more awesome with more covers, I have to make sure I am able to pay the tax to continue to play at a high level in events.

It would be similar to if you went to Disney World, paid for your admission ticket and then was charged to ride any rides. You paid us upfront so you have the ability to pay more for some actual enjoyment.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Great stuff overall. 1k for roster slots is pricey but I know I am getting that much HP just by playing the game between character releases, with enough left for shields and stuff. More importantly, this is just the first piece of the puzzle, they hinted that there will be ways of earning roster slots.
    !

I see a lot of posts like this, but don't you feel that winning HP should be a prize, not a wage to keep playing? If you aren't spending the HP on new covers, then it isn't really a prize. It's more like a fee to play the game paid for by playing the game.

I think this is a good example of D3 being too stingy with handing out prizes, they need to loosen up if they want to get players to stick around.

So.... this is basically the exact definition of a free to play game. You can either spend money or time to advance, free players spend time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    orbitalint wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Why are people begrudging them for trying to profit from their efforts? I think it's funny that it's labelled a 'tax', as if roster slots are some god given right. Even acknowledging the fact of artificial scarcity, the way the premium currency is doled out for consistent players makes it pretty easy to remain an unpaying player once you get past the first few triple roster slots, given a certain tier of play.
    So, for me, I don't have an issue with them trying to make a profit. Honestly, I'm just not a fan that they base their model almost exclusively on Fear of Missing Out-like aspects of psychology. Don't want to lose your ground in PVP? Please pay some currency to shield. Want to compete in PVE on a regular basis? Pay the roster HP so you have access to the exclusive nodes that separate top finishes from everyone else. Everyone else is doing it, so make sure you aren't left out on these "great" rewards!

I just wished they prioritized giving the consumer reasons to invest in their content (covers, skins, whatever) rather than develop mechanisms that give people little choice in how they spend their HP (roster slots). Instead of being able to choose how I'd like make my favorite marvel character be a little more awesome with more covers, I have to make sure I am able to pay the tax to continue to play at a high level in events.

It would be similar to if you went to Disney World, paid for your admission ticket and then was charged to ride any rides. You paid us upfront so you have the ability to pay more for some actual enjoyment.
    I mostly agree, but find that they use psychological loss techniques more (or maybe that's what gets to me). Eg, for some reason we feel pain at destroying a 2-cover Vision even though he sucks, so we end up buying a roster slot, whereas the right thing to do would be drop his tinykitty once he's no longer essential. T150 is still easily doable without 1 essential (T50 for Carnage, maybe not.) Also, if they give people little choice in how they spend their HP, then why are people shielding in PVP? Why do people save up HP for a 5th BP RotP cover? A lot of these players are F2P players too. Perhaps you're speaking from a pre 30-roster slot roster, in which case it's understandable. I do agree that it would be nice to have more things to spend HP on, because tokens really aren't worth it.

If you go to Disney World, you still have to wait in line for rides, but you can pay to skip to the front. You're not going to be able to go on every ride in a day unless you pay, but you can still go on a decent number of them. And don't get me started on the cost of a beer there.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    My issue with the cap is that it doesn't kick in until you have nearly every character in the game, including those at the 2* and 1* level. It's a relief for the collector but not for those who are only trying to keep the characters they might genuinely need to do well (which is every 3* and 4*, some – but not all – 2*s, and one 1*). I mean, I have every 4* except Carnage; every 3* period; every 2* except Bagman, Ms. Marvel and Bullseye; and a Juggernaut -- which is pretty damn comprehensive -- and my next roster spot will cost “only” 800 HP, meaning I still get no relief from the 1K cap.

That's why I think it's too high - I'm well below the 1k cost myself. Still, you were going to hit it sooner or later, if you keep playing the game.

This is only true today, 6 months from now the cap will kick in while you still have 15 characters to go (assuming you want 1 of everyone, and no duplicates). A year from now the cap will kick in when you have 30 characters still to go.

1,000 isn't a right now problem solve number, it's a forward thinking future problem solve number. Which I am totally fine with. Clearly they want to keep releasing characters forever so a ceiling had to be implemented. A vast majority are not yet at 1,000 per roster slot, meaning it's a number they can cap at which while not immediately effective for everyone will eventually be effective anyone that keeps playing to the point of 80+ roster slots. Thinking of the future is totally fine with me.
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Has it been discussed if the ones who paid more than 1000HP per roster will be refunded the difference ?

That would only be fair.

Also I feel the reason the picked 1,000 and not 500 is so they wouldn't have to deal with an outcry for refunds. We basically did this to ourselves.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    My favorite part of the video was hearing them both refer to purple as purple. Now everyone can stop calling it pink! (I know you won't) icon_neutral.gif

I would love to call it purple, and I know it's supposed to be purple, but it's not purple.
    Purple:
    Purple%20Soap%20Dye.jpg

Pink:
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png

I snipped the Purple gem, placed it in Paint, sampled the lower part which is the gem without all the "Shine" that is on it, and this is the color of the gem.
    purple.png

It is the "Shine" that they add to the gems that water down the purple and make it look pink.
  • orbitalint
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:
    daibar wrote:

I mostly agree, but find that they use psychological loss techniques more (or maybe that's what gets to me). Eg, for some reason we feel pain at destroying a 2-cover Vision even though he sucks, so we end up buying a roster slot, whereas the right thing to do would be drop his tinykitty once he's no longer essential. T150 is still easily doable without 1 essential (T50 for Carnage, maybe not.) Also, if they give people little choice in how they spend their HP, then why are people shielding in PVP? Why do people save up HP for a 5th BP RotP cover? A lot of these players are F2P players too. Perhaps you're speaking from a pre 30-roster slot roster, in which case it's understandable. I do agree that it would be nice to have more things to spend HP on, because tokens really aren't worth it.

If you go to Disney World, you still have to wait in line for rides, but you can pay to skip to the front. You're not going to be able to go on every ride in a day unless you pay, but you can still go on a decent number of them. And don't get me started on the cost of a beer there.
    Yeah, I think we agree that they like to use many negative aspects of psychology to "entice" people to play and pay in this game. We're definitely less inclined to part ways with something that we feel we earned, regardless of perceived value.

I think the Disney analogy wasn't great but your comment does kind of illustrate the issue since they at least get to ride rides eventually if they don't pay anything more than the entrance fee. What intrinsic benefit do we get from paying to roster a character? Paying up front for any good electronic or tangible, to me, implies I should get something out of it. Buying my roster slot gets me a membership card to the exclusive club known as The Hamster Wheel(TM) with event timers and everything. Yay? icon_e_smile.gif
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    My issue with the cap is that it doesn't kick in until you have nearly every character in the game, including those at the 2* and 1* level. It's a relief for the collector but not for those who are only trying to keep the characters they might genuinely need to do well (which is every 3* and 4*, some – but not all – 2*s, and one 1*). I mean, I have every 4* except Carnage; every 3* period; every 2* except Bagman, Ms. Marvel and Bullseye; and a Juggernaut -- which is pretty damn comprehensive -- and my next roster spot will cost “only” 800 HP, meaning I still get no relief from the 1K cap.

That's why I think it's too high - I'm well below the 1k cost myself. Still, you were going to hit it sooner or later, if you keep playing the game.

This is only true today, 6 months from now the cap will kick in while you still have 15 characters to go (assuming you want 1 of everyone, and no duplicates). A year from now the cap will kick in when you have 30 characters still to go.

1,000 isn't a right now problem solve number, it's a forward thinking future problem solve number. Which I am totally fine with. Clearly they want to keep releasing characters forever so a ceiling had to be implemented. A vast majority are not yet at 1,000 per roster slot, meaning it's a number they can cap at which while not immediately effective for everyone will eventually be effective anyone that keeps playing to the point of 80+ roster slots. Thinking of the future is totally fine with me.
    arktos1971 wrote:

That would only be fair.

Also I feel the reason the picked 1,000 and not 500 is so they wouldn't have to deal with an outcry for refunds. We basically did this to ourselves.

It's possible that was their reasoning - ironically the outcry would have been worse if it was, say, 500, and they would not consider a refund. I would have been entirely fine with no refund or a refund for the last 30 days myself, but that's just me. I do think that 1000 is, in an abstract sense, too high (it's a bit under half of a $20 purchase, for example,) but I'm glad they did something. I do keep every 3* (and have kept a number of my 2*s, and 3 1*s,) so I'm just as glad I don't have to throw anything away.
  • Unknown
    Options
    A bit under half of $20? Half is 1450. That's not a bit. Basically a third of 20$ will get you a roster slot. It would be nice if they bumped that 2900 to 3000 tho because of the 1,000 cost for capped slot purchases.
  • Unknown
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

arktos1971 wrote:

That would only be fair.

It's possible that was their reasoning - ironically the outcry would have been worse if it was, say, 500, and they would not consider a refund. I would have been entirely fine with no refund or a refund for the last 30 days myself, but that's just me. I do think that 1000 is, in an abstract sense, too high (it's a bit under half of a $20 purchase, for example,) but I'm glad they did something. I do keep every 3* (and have kept a number of my 2*s, and 3 1*s,) so I'm just as glad I don't have to throw anything away.
    don't victim blame, we didn't do anything to ourselves...
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lack of PvE community scaling along with an increase of stored regenerated health packs could make me download the game again. As somebody who is the epitome of casual gamer this is the sort of change that will do nothing but benefit me. I work very long hours and only have a small window every day on which to play. In the Iso 8 Brotherhood it would be load MPQ, TPW to Moonstone and her level 295 goons, repeat then wait until the next day as all 5 health packs were gone.

One suggestion to avoid the so called no lifers feeling the need to grind every node down every refresh why not completely scrap PvE leaderboards and make everything progressed based and those who wish to grind to get all the individual node rewards or even just iso 8 they can, after all isn't the whole concept of PvE supposed to be completely different to PvP? At the risk of making myself unpopular I would also suggest keeping alliance rewards to just the PvP side of the game to ease pressure on alliance members who feel the need to compete in both so as not to let their team mates down.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    isn't the whole concept of PvE supposed to be completely different to PvP?
    It is. PvP is all about shield-hopping. PvE is all about managing your roster and health packs such that you can clear the nodes as many times as you can. Excelling in both require completely different play styles.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    orbitalint wrote:

Others have mentioned it here, I've definitely mentioned it in the past (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24664&hilit=+tax#p306509) but I think there is something inherently wrong with a system that makes you pay for the privilege of having content instead of actually paying for said content, regardless of it being "reasonably" possible over any given time span.

It's a tax on having characters. They are just now capping the tax. Plain and simple. They give out "free" HP over the course of 2 weeks for pretty consistent play, only to have it recouped in the tax on the new character if you want to play competitively. That tells me that any covers you'd prefer to spend it on, you need to pay for it and those are oddly expensive too. Only the hardcore competitors and whales have a reason to drop a dime on this game.

It's their business model but my guess is that semi-casual play doesn't give you many reasons to spend $5 a month and make it feel like it is worth it. That's 1/2 a cover or maybe 3/4 of a roster slot for me at the moment. No thanks.

So if roster slots were free, but they have no hp rewards, that would be better? You do realize that they don't have to give hp rewards. The only difference between roster slots and hp is that players can choose to use hp on roster slots OR other features. In other words, the only one stopping players from having "free" roster slots is that player.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    Capping slots at 1K is going to help those with 80 or more slots
    81st slot was the first to cost more than 1k. http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Roster_Slots

I find the completionist/hoarder mentality funny, but slightly less so since I have it as well. This game is already pretty decent as a f2p game. Why are people begrudging them for trying to profit from their efforts? I think it's funny that it's labelled a 'tax', as if roster slots are some god given right. Even acknowledging the fact of artificial scarcity, the way the premium currency is doled out for consistent players makes it pretty easy to remain an unpaying player once you get past the first few triple roster slots, given a certain tier of play.

I might be reading into it the wrong way, but it seemed like they were aware that simulator score is part of season score. However, I think everyone outside of say T30 doesn't really care, and T120 only cares that they remain in T100, not so much where they land. For many mid-tier players the draw seems to be the last 3 personal progression rewards.

I agree with you. It's like some people are oblivious that if mpq does not make money, there is no game to play.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do appreciate an answer to the roster slot issue. Sure it could be lower, but since I plan on playing the game for the long term, long ago, I adjusted how I play / spend HP, to address the problem as it was. My next roster slot is gonna be the 73rd, for 950, so I was pretty close to having to spend more than 1k / slot. At the highest, I've had 16k HP, but I'm currently at 14,600 HP. I don't buy covers and I try to only use one shield per PVP, either an 8 or a 3 hr. If I am going for the 1k, I might use up to 3 shields, 3/8/3 or 3/8/8, but I won't buy a 24 hr shield. Have a deep enough roster, and built based around true healers, so that I could score in the T25 range if I wanted.

Will be interested to see how PVE will be with no community scaling. I think Will and Kabir are being very paranoid about how bad it will be. The changes might allow more people to try to contend for prizes, although they will probably complain that they will have to play more to keep up with everyone. I think anyone that is playing the current PVE, that is in the Top 5 or Top 10, already know that people are willing to grind for rewards, so I don't see too many problems at the top end. If they only turn off community scaling, and not personal, or adjust initial levels based on rosters (reset personal scaling), then you'll probably see the vets complaining that the 94 rosters have an unfair advantage. So, there won't be anything new regarding complaints / feedback.

The increase to 10 healthpacks helps / should help out a lot of people, but it gives me less of an advantage than I had when it was only 5. With my deep roster and true healers, I could play for longer on the same 5 healthpacks.

Happy to see they are looking to change rewards in Simulator.

While the answers weren't what a lot of people think are fair, I do appreciate that these issues have been acknowledged and addressed, to some extent, and that we have been informed about them.