MPQ Community Video - June, 2015

Options

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Roster Slots - 1000 hp cap
    This is simply AMAZING!
    I get that there will be pushback on the choice to cap it at 1000 rather than say 500 hp but the fact of the matter is that 1000 hp is completely achievable and reasonable by a top 50 pvp/pve player. This doesn't even take into account the potential bonus HP through DDQ either. I understand that people will hit the wall of too many characters and not enough roster slots but it's super comforting to know that someone can now play free-to play forever while keeping up with character releases if they are patient enough.

Possible solution to people newer players hitting the roster slot cap spoilered below:
    babinro wrote:
    Considering that by the time you get to 16 Roster Slots, that all of the prologue free HP is already earned, and that daily resupply doesn't drop nearly enough HP for new users, I have no choice but to be in an alliance (which is fine, I like people... well... most people) to earn HP. So my alt acct is in a top 500 Alliance. That nets 25HP per event. My brackets are with other people of my same roster strength, so I have a good chance at top 50 which nets me another 50HP. So at 75HP per event, I would need to place top 50 in 7 events to purchase 3 Roster Slots. Meanwhile, if I do place top 50 in all 7 events, that is 7 ADDITIONAL covers that I need Roster Slots for. And the price goes up from there I am sure. And in the time it takes to win 7 events, how many of the covers that I was trying to recruit have expired?

So the system they set up creates a wall for new players. Either pay up real world money to recruit your heros, or delete/sell off the hero's you have already recruited to recruit the new ones you want more. If the Devs TRULY want roster diversity, and that is their intention for the game, in the words of BrotherBoy (Sordid Lives): "It ain't a workin!"

In the first 14 days of game play, you get A LOT of characters thrown at you. Way more characters than you can possible afford to open Roster Slots for, only using the HP gained through the Prologue (Story Mode for newbies) and through daily resupply.

This seems to represent the core part of the thread and I'm left to wonder about the solution. The game rotates through cover rewards so it's completely unreasonable to just hand out 50+ roster slots dirt cheap for free to play players to keep up with. Doing so would devastate D3's main revenue structure. The only real 'fix' that comes to mind now would be to have a continuous set a noob bracket pvp's that run along side the vet brackets.

What makes noob brackets unique is that they will only ever feature and rotate throughout the same 5 *** rewards forever. This enables a new player to focus their attention on certain *** stars while building up hp through events to buy roster slots for inevitable unique ***'s earned through tokens. They'll still have to sell randomly attained covers but at least the stress of trying to keep up with 50+ is now reduced substantially.

The 5 chosen *** characters would have to cover all colours without really being the dominant choice for that type of character since you want to entice players to expand their roster. At the same time you need these characters to be decent enough to help the player move on. With that in mind I'd recommend the following:

- Lcap (staple character, useful for all modes of play, iconic and natural transitioner from ** tier)
    - The Punisher (typically considered an ideal well rounded character, gives player access to strike tiles)
    - Mystique (decent introduction to AP steal and colour changing while providing a very strong single target burst damage skill)
    - Beast (active blue damager, introduction to AoE, introduction to healing)
    - Doctor Doom (iconic villain, active purple damager, introduction to attack tiles)

4* Transition plan - Vault
    The PvP MMR change has been the best improvement to transitioning for me. This other stuff with tokens, the gauntlet and now the vault is all gravy. I'm curious to see how big this vault is mind you...is this something that will empty monthly, weekly, quarterly? This time frame will make all the difference on how useful it is as a tool to provide more 4*'s.

I suspect that the Shield Sim 2400 progression reward will remain but now be a 4* cover as well. Don't disappoint me on that one devs icon_e_smile.gif

Health pack change - Maximum Change from 5-10 regen rate remaining unchanged
    I expect to be in the minority with this opinion but I do NOT like this pack increase at all. Why?

Simply put...the health pack system has always been the games most effective way of telling players when to just 'stop'. The vast majority of the player base does not casually go around buying bundles of 5 more health packs. Instead they stop playing. This is true for competitive pve and pvp.

So what does increasing packs to 10 give us?

More play time which means more competition, more grinding pve nodes, more time investment in a game that already demands soo much of it out of the players. This change substantially increases the chance of player burnout especially within PvE. In PvP the change should be less drastic as the top end measuring stick is created through shield hops and not sustained playing through all the defensive hits. We'll likely see an even bigger cluster of players reaching 800-1000 point ranges and it gives a whole new set of players a viable option to late join events and succeed.

I can't actually say any of the pvp impact will be particularly helpful or harmful for the game one way or another but the PvE side of things look dreadful. Combine this healthpack increase with removal of community scaling and the pve grind we have now will be a drop in the bucket compared to what's to come. Hopefully I'm wrong about this but it's how I see things right now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:

I would love to call it purple, and I know it's supposed to be purple, but it's not purple.

Pink:
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png :

If it was this color on my phone, I might be able to call it purple. On my phone it is PINK. LOL
  • Unknown
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    :purpleflag:
    Lerysh wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    My favorite part of the video was hearing them both refer to purple as purple. Now everyone can stop calling it pink! (I know you won't) icon_neutral.gif

I would love to call it purple, and I know it's supposed to be purple, but it's not purple.

Purple:
    Purple%20Soap%20Dye.jpg

Pink:
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png
    Looks like a 'blood orange' to me
    babinro wrote:
    Roster Slots - 1000 hp cap
    This is simply AMAZING!
    I get that there will be pushback on the choice to cap it at 1000 rather than say 500 hp but the fact of the matter is that 1000 hp is completely achievable and reasonable by a top 50 pvp/pve player. This doesn't even take into account the potential bonus HP through DDQ either. I understand that people will hit the wall of too many characters and not enough roster slots but it's super comforting to know that someone can now play free-to play forever while keeping up with character releases if they are patient enough.

Possible solution to people newer players hitting the roster slot cap spoilered below:
    babinro wrote:
    Considering that by the time you get to 16 Roster Slots, that all of the prologue free HP is already earned, and that daily resupply doesn't drop nearly enough HP for new users, I have no choice but to be in an alliance (which is fine, I like people... well... most people) to earn HP. So my alt acct is in a top 500 Alliance. That nets 25HP per event. My brackets are with other people of my same roster strength, so I have a good chance at top 50 which nets me another 50HP. So at 75HP per event, I would need to place top 50 in 7 events to purchase 3 Roster Slots. Meanwhile, if I do place top 50 in all 7 events, that is 7 ADDITIONAL covers that I need Roster Slots for. And the price goes up from there I am sure. And in the time it takes to win 7 events, how many of the covers that I was trying to recruit have expired?

So the system they set up creates a wall for new players. Either pay up real world money to recruit your heros, or delete/sell off the hero's you have already recruited to recruit the new ones you want more. If the Devs TRULY want roster diversity, and that is their intention for the game, in the words of BrotherBoy (Sordid Lives): "It ain't a workin!"

In the first 14 days of game play, you get A LOT of characters thrown at you. Way more characters than you can possible afford to open Roster Slots for, only using the HP gained through the Prologue (Story Mode for newbies) and through daily resupply.

This seems to represent the core part of the thread and I'm left to wonder about the solution. The game rotates through cover rewards so it's completely unreasonable to just hand out 50+ roster slots dirt cheap for free to play players to keep up with. Doing so would devastate D3's main revenue structure. The only real 'fix' that comes to mind now would be to have a continuous set a noob bracket pvp's that run along side the vet brackets.

What makes noob brackets unique is that they will only ever feature and rotate throughout the same 5 *** rewards forever. This enables a new player to focus their attention on certain *** stars while building up hp through events to buy roster slots for inevitable unique ***'s earned through tokens. They'll still have to sell randomly attained covers but at least the stress of trying to keep up with 50+ is now reduced substantially.

The 5 chosen *** characters would have to cover all colours without really being the dominant choice for that type of character since you want to entice players to expand their roster. At the same time you need these characters to be decent enough to help the player move on. With that in mind I'd recommend the following:

- Lcap (staple character, useful for all modes of play, iconic and natural transitioner from ** tier)
    - The Punisher (typically considered an ideal well rounded character, gives player access to strike tiles)
    - Mystique (decent introduction to AP steal and colour changing while providing a very strong single target burst damage skill)
    - Beast (active blue damager, introduction to AoE, introduction to healing)
    - Doctor Doom (iconic villain, active purple damager, introduction to attack tiles)

4* Transition plan - Vault
    The PvP MMR change has been the best improvement to transitioning for me. This other stuff with tokens, the gauntlet and now the vault is all gravy. I'm curious to see how big this vault is mind you...is this something that will empty monthly, weekly, quarterly? This time frame will make all the difference on how useful it is as a tool to provide more 4*'s.

I suspect that the Shield Sim 2400 progression reward will remain but now be a 4* cover as well. Don't disappoint me on that one devs icon_e_smile.gif

Health pack change - Maximum Change from 5-10 regen rate remaining unchanged
    I expect to be in the minority with this opinion but I do NOT like this pack increase at all. Why?

Simply put...the health pack system has always been the games most effective way of telling players when to just 'stop'. The vast majority of the player base does not casually go around buying bundles of 5 more health packs. Instead they stop playing. This is true for competitive pve and pvp.

So what does increasing packs to 10 give us?

More play time which means more competition, more grinding pve nodes, more time investment in a game that already demands soo much of it out of the players. This change substantially increases the chance of player burnout especially within PvE. In PvP the change should be less drastic as the top end measuring stick is created through shield hops and not sustained playing through all the defensive hits. We'll likely see an even bigger cluster of players reaching 800-1000 point ranges and it gives a whole new set of players a viable option to late join events and succeed.

I can't actually say any of the pvp impact will be particularly helpful or harmful for the game one way or another but the PvE side of things look dreadful. Combine this healthpack increase with removal of community scaling and the pve grind we have now will be a drop in the bucket compared to what's to come. Hopefully I'm wrong about this but it's how I see things right now.

at least for me, the health pack change means I can take more risks. Normally when I'm out of health packs, I'm done. Especially with the health increases(and the introduction of Carnage) health pack usage is up, I'm sure.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:

Pink:
    purpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.pngpurpletile.png :

If it was this color on my phone, I might be able to call it purple. On my phone it is PINK. LOL

I tried for a long time to call it purple, and then I started calling pink things IRL purple since I was confusing my brain into thinking that was what that color was called, so now it's just pink. Makes life easier.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    moving health packs from 5 to 10 makes me worry big time, So they are tossing away one of their cash cows (forcing people to buy Health packs) if less people buy heath packs now (dont see why you would even now them now at 10) going to be interesting tosee it change but just dont know how people see these changes are good
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    one thing that still needs to be addressed, the 4 player skip queue, it is ridiculous spending hundreds to thousands of iso looking for a decent fight but only seeing the same 4 players, in order over and over and over again
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just wanted to add my voice to the 'approval' faction here, heh. Thanks so much for dealing with issues we really needed/wanted answers to - and with some information about what's being done to address some of the problems (rosters, health packs, etc). It was great to get some confirmation about what's going to happen, going forward.

star.png

EDIT (Didn't read everything before posting, just wanted to give my thanks asap!): No clue why people are still whining about roster slots (haters gonna hate). 1000 hp is fine. By the time you have that many characters, you shouldn't be complaining about 1k of HP anyway. It also seems a bit redundant to complain about this, without knowing the finer details of the extra ways they'll let players get roster slots.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great stuff overall. 1k for roster slots is pricey but I know I am getting that much HP just by playing the game between character releases, with enough left for shields and stuff. More importantly, this is just the first piece of the puzzle, they hinted that there will be ways of earning roster slots.

-Increased Health Packs: Likely will make the end times of PVP events even more of a shark frenzy zone, but I already avoid that, so it's fine. Most value I see in this change is the dreaded end-of-sub/beginning-of-next times when your characters are so dead that you cannot actually start playing the next sub immediately which damages your efficiency.

-PVE experiment. I'm pessimistic about the outcome of this; if everybody is exactly in the same playing level, it means that the only way to make a differential and come off on top will be the ability to play each refresh as efficiently as possible, with clock-work like precision. This randomly will make people with conflicted day schedules unable to compete, while the lucky ones who have a daily schedule that perfectly fits will almost automatically float to the top regardless of their position in the transition. That said, I appreciate this radical approach and hopefully the lessons learned from seeing how the bare basics work will allow them to come up with a completely new method that will be superior to what we have now.

Looking forward to MPQ's future!
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm hearing impaired, so I struggled with the video, but most of what I got out of it seemed like good news. Capping roster slots at 1k, while that is higher than I would have preferred, still guarantees that a 1k HP taco will pay for a new roster slot no matter what. So, okay. Now, about increasing the pull rates on 1k HP tacos...

I don't entirely get what's going on with the DDQ Vault, but it SOUNDS nifty. I hope it shows up soon so I can investigate.

Also excited to see what events look like for me without community scaling. It'd be nice to be able to actually play through an entire sub instead of getting balked a couple nodes before the finish because people have been grinding them down.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    moving health packs from 5 to 10 makes me worry big time, So they are tossing away one of their cash cows (forcing people to buy Health packs) if less people buy heath packs now (dont see why you would even now them now at 10) going to be interesting tosee it change but just dont know how people see these changes are good

Yeah - so I was thinking about this too. My theory was that after DDQ that cover pack purchases went down and they tried to supplement revenue with higher health leading to longer matches, more wounded characters and hence more health pack purchases. So, now that they've increased Health Packs to 10, what's next? Well - it's right in front of us - VAULT tokens. My guess is they are going to try to shift some of the revenue back to token purchases by enticing players to buy more tokens with the progressive odds construct that is the Vault. That's what I think anyway. Agree/Disagree/Think I'm Crazy?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Meh.
    slidecage wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Overall, good stuff
    I still think 1k/roster slot is too high but at least we know they wont go higher.
    No tweaks to PVP scoring/progression, good news
    4*s coming to Deadpool Daily, great
    health pack inventory increased to 10, thank you
    Retooled progression rewards in Shield Sim, great
    But why would you assume turning off community scaling will ,Go horribly,?

should been lower to 700 for SLOTS how many are paying 1000+

4 star coming to deadpool who cares . people who are happy about this.> THINK ABOUT IT it mean more 4 stars meaning more SLOTS NEEDED

health packs from 5 to 10 another Very bad idea . i would rather seen health packs CAPPED AT 5 but you could put health packs away like BOOST ups and up your own health packs. Giving 10 health packs every 5 hours will mean MAJOR GRINING NEEDED

retooled sim points... HELLO 7000 10 packs

you ask how could turning off scaling go wrong.. whoever pays the most wins Someone with 20 max out 3 stars vs someone with 10 max 2 stars.. the 2 stars will never win again

sadly sounds like a last chance effort to save the game

my speakers on my pc are blown so can not hear anything,,, Nothing starts till when next season? or do any chances happen in the coming week
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, no transcript.

Interesting watch / listen though.
  • MikeG72
    MikeG72 Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    I'm hearing impaired, so I struggled with the video, but most of what I got out of it seemed like good news.

Same here. I put on headphones and raised the volume some and got the main gist of it. Of course, YouTube self-closed-captioning is still a joke.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:

Pink:

Oh no. No no no no no nonononononono!

We are not having this conversation about the stupid dress all over again!
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    overall i think i am more disappointed with the announcement, then i was before. i think that they should of tried more given that alot of the vets have slipped away and more and more people i know have left.there is nothing really game changing that i can tell any of my friends to get them excited again.

i have been stopping with 3 healthpack.png left cause i don't want to play 3 more match that will suck up 20 mins of my time. it feels like too much of a chore to play now.

roster slots capped at 1000 hp, really? let me spread the word i don't think most of them broke 700 hp so for them it is useless as they are still climbing.

the only thing is that they mentioned that there might be other ways to win roster slots... but got no info on what they have planned.

Vaulting sounds good but i want to wait and see what horror they drag out.

i stopped playing one of my accounts... i think this one is lost too if these changes don't pan out.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Great stuff overall. 1k for roster slots is pricey but I know I am getting that much HP just by playing the game between character releases, with enough left for shields and stuff. More importantly, this is just the first piece of the puzzle, they hinted that there will be ways of earning roster slots.
    !

I see a lot of posts like this, but don't you feel that winning HP should be a prize, not a wage to keep playing? If you aren't spending the HP on new covers, then it isn't really a prize. It's more like a fee to play the game paid for by playing the game.

I think this is a good example of D3 being too stingy with handing out prizes, they need to loosen up if they want to get players to stick around.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    !

I see a lot of posts like this, but don't you feel that winning HP should be a prize, not a wage to keep playing? If you aren't spending the HP on new covers, then it isn't really a prize. It's more like a fee to play the game paid for by playing the game.

I think this is a good example of D3 being too stingy with handing out prizes, they need to loosen up if they want to get players to stick around.

My next roster slot after Carnage will cost 1000hp, so I'm glad it's not going up after. My hp stash is fairly healthy at 13k and keeps increasing despite my frittering it away on shield and roster slot expenditures - enough that I bought a few health packs and tokens recently just to do something with it. (Didn't use up the health packs, got 100% moonstones)

I've never bought a cover. The cover chase is one of the things that keeps things interesting for me personally. Not sure how much I would play if I already had everything.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Scaling is a magnifier on how good/bad the encounter is. Even if scaling doesn't exist, Ares + Muscle + Pyro isn't going to be a fun node to play. Moonstone + Yelena + Bullseye is still going to be way too easy at level 300 unless you seriously screwed up. The problem is that the DA lineup is either godlike tier or weak. The only person in the common DA lineup that isn't in one of those two tier is Moonstone and Dr. Doom (who doesn't show up often, and is godlike tier when paired up with the Doombots, which he usually is). The streamlined events seems to get rid of all the joke encounters that features Venom/Bullseye/Yelena/Ragnarok and replaced them with godlike characters or goons, making the overall encounter incredibly difficult. I do not see how scaling would even matter as long as D3 refuses to acknowledge that the DA lineup is fundamentally flawed to make challenging encounters. Given the personnel they have available, every encounter is either stupidly hard or stupidly easy and there's nothing in between because DAs lack an average character like Psylocke or Captain America to fall back on.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Could the devs place a notice about the events that they plan to turn scaling off? Like maybe just before we select the time slice for that event. That way we know that event is a test event and we can watch out for how things turn out on our side.