Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Wonko33 wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Focus your anger on the cheaters, that's why we can never have nice things
    "Rational players" aren't cheaters. Take a game theory course some time.

Take an Ethics one
    You remind me of every bad player in every multiplayer game I've ever played. In Magic guys like you called people who did well "netdeckers" because they used optimized decklists. In MOBAs you're like the guys that get crushed and complain that people in the game are nerds with no life, and that you're feeding because you don't have 8 hours to play the game every day like all the losers you're playing with. In counter strike you'd be the one calling people "no lifers", telling them to get laid before ragequitting.
  • Unknown
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    How to fix PVP:

Eliminate losing points entirely. Even offensively. If you win offensively, you gain points, if you lose, you get zero. Defense doesn't really matter.
    2.5 day grindfest aside, this would create a new loophole to abuse. All one has to do is save a seed team and then climb as high as possible. Then beat the seed team with a level 15 Bagman, etc. and it's free points for everyone else.

Seed teams. That takes me back.

But that would be incredibly easy to fix, given that they've already practically eliminated seed teams.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Using normal in game mechanisms to play event is not an exploit. And exploit would be something like discovering that if you closed the app right after getting in to a fight made you win automatically or that if you clicked very fast in several pve nodes it increased the amount of points available.

This is as much an exploit as memorizing decklists in Magic, for instance. The game allows you to do something that gets you to your objective faster than people doing some other thing.

Well good news for your alliance then, it still works! Just lose more games on purpose and you guys can still get your 4*
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wonko33 wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Using normal in game mechanisms to play event is not an exploit. And exploit would be something like discovering that if you closed the app right after getting in to a fight made you win automatically or that if you clicked very fast in several pve nodes it increased the amount of points available.

This is as much an exploit as memorizing decklists in Magic, for instance. The game allows you to do something that gets you to your objective faster than people doing some other thing.

Well good news for your alliance then, it still works! Just lose more games on purpose and you guys can still get your 4*
    I'll play the game within it's rules exactly how I feel like it. How about that? And in exchange I won't be presumptuous enough to call you out on your ethics or tell you how to play the game. Sound fair?

See you in the top100
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I think this is the reason why I and many others are happy with this change, as we play "honestly" climbing little by little, shielding, planning ahead and overall making sure that we are still having fun. Sometimes that gets us 1k, sometimes 800, sometimes somewhat less. And that's fine, it's just a game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but either way, with whatever rewards you get, you advance a little. People who game the system either because they feel the need to place atop of everybody else every time, or because they actually hate playing the game, but want the rewards and the status with as little of it as possible, will very understandably hate this change. (Not saying that everybody that hates this change falls in that category, though.)

I think the people doing this see boosting AS playing the game. If you you're given a set of rules, you can see how the average noob plays it and who the system is targeted towards. However, seeing the best way to climb in a system isn't the fault of an experienced player. Are alliances not about helping other people in your alliance do better? Boosting's been around forever, probably even before seasons. Sometimes it doesn't feel fair when you put in a lot of hp shield hopping only to be denied due to bad luck at the end. Boosting can feel like justice, or setting things right. You may feel ok at 988, but please don't tell us that we MUST feel ok at 988. It has nothing to do with 'hating' the game, so please bury that straw man. Why would people play a game they hate?

I am in favor of them 'fixing' the system so that people are 'forced to play' if they want to rank. However, as an 'honest' player who doesn't regularly boost, I am leaning towards disliking this because of the tilt towards offense and shielding. The increased defensive point loss change hurts a mid-tier of players whom either don't shield hop or don't play in the last hour. It looks like a crowd pleaser to shield hoppers who don't stay vulnerable for that long and can now hit for more points. It also seems to discourage early play.

On the whole, it'll probably be a good change, or at least a needed one.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    While we're discussing match-making tweaks, how about another item that has been often thrown out as a solution to the out-of-game coordination...why do we need to see the name or roster of the person we are attacking before we commit? Make it blind, and a lot of the top-top-tier 'problem cases' go away.
    It's more of a psychological thing. With names, it feels more personal and less of a slog. If you fight 6 nameless XThor teams in a row, it starts to feel monotonous. However, if I'm hitting say 'platypusavenger', then it adds an additional emotional level to the game, especially if that player has hit me earlier in the round.

But if they move the name to a post battle screen, then you still have your bragging rights i.e. "You beat TooManyPants".
    The other fix that would be needed as part of this is to make you invisible to your alliance mates, to eliminate the possibility of you hurting their score.

If they were to implement this, it seems like they could go ahead and remove shield cooldowns, or at least lower the cooldown times (2 hrs, 6 hrs, 12 hrs). This is the first change that I remember that was suppossed to target out of game coordination and all the change did was make it more essential (from what I read).
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think a lot of people aren't really understanding why this change is being made (well, there's 2 changes so I'll just talk on the defensive wins one). I seriously doubt the devs care that people are "boosting" teammates from 900 to 1k with little effort, and at those scores very few points were even being added overall. The "loophole" or whatever you guys want to call it was the coordinated retreat climb that could start 20 minutes into an event with players at 200 points (okay maybe later and higher points but I never tried this so who knows). Two people at the top of the leaderboard could find each other after maybe 2 skips and each retreat nets a lot of points into the system at low point levels and still works up to ~900. So all you need is a large expendable roster and a climbing partner and you could go from 500-900 without actually playing any matches. This was all because we complained about losing so many points with matches taking longer so they lessened point losses from "losing" injecting more points into the system per fight.

Anyway, can we get rid of the inane personal attacks please? take it to PMs if you want to continue. Also to those complaining about "whiners", these guys know a ton about how this game works and if you look back have probably been right more often than not when predicting what effects changes will have, so at least hear them out.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Using normal in game mechanisms to play event is not an exploit.

I'm not familiar with the exploit and how it works (please educate me on the details if I am wrong in my assumptions here), but if the intention of PvP is to acquire points by winning battles against opponents, and you have found a "loophole" that lets you acquire more point by intentionally losing battles instead, then you are exploiting a game mechanic the defeats the spirit of the game. It may not be "unethical", but if you are doing this to gain an advantage over players that aren't using this exploit then you are kind of a piece of ****.

Not to mention - why continue to play a game where you get more points by.......not playing the game????
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    How to fix PVP:

Eliminate losing points entirely. Even offensively. If you win offensively, you gain points, if you lose, you get zero. Defense doesn't really matter.
    2.5 day grindfest aside, this would create a new loophole to abuse. All one has to do is save a seed team and then climb as high as possible. Then beat the seed team with a level 15 Bagman, etc. and it's free points for everyone else.

Nothing new about that, putting out a squishy team for your friends to beat. According to the devs, attackers win 90% of the time anyway. And anyone who qs you after you win with the soft team fights that team. How is this a loophole, exactly?

Should the game be altered so you always q the 3 strongest characters from the target's roster? Takuing away what little control over your defense you have?

Should they resort to some bizarre means to prevent the use of extra-game communication channels? Let's see ... that's impossible so far as I know.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Not to mention - why continue to play a game where you get more points by.......not playing the game????

As this describes half of my hops the past couple months, I have to say ... "good question!"
  • Unknown
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

I'm not familiar with the exploit and how it works (please educate me on the details if I am wrong in my assumptions here), but if the intention of PvP is to acquire points by winning battles against opponents, and you have found a "loophole" that lets you acquire more point by intentionally losing battles instead, then you are exploiting a game mechanic the defeats the spirit of the game. It may not be "unethical", but if you are doing this to gain an advantage over players that aren't using this exploit then you are kind of a piece of tinykitty.
    For someone who admits he doesn't understand what he's talking about, calling people out like in that last sentence is a pretty daring shot in the dark, wouldn't you say?

Nobody is topping pvp brackets using this. People were using it to inject more points into a bracket early when everyone is worth 10-15 points and boosting people into the 1k progression reward. The tactic discussed requires people to spend a lot of time unshielded, and if anyone attempted it over 1k they would be sniped into oblivon. Nobody was being harmed by this, unless you consider "not getting progression as easily as some people" being harmed. In which case everyone who has a nice roster is harming everyone that doesn't.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    A faster climb is useless if it'll mean it'll be harder to hit 1k because you'll lose even more points when you're hit at 800+ points by some guy way below you. Reaching the top isn't hard, but staying there is.

I understand that you'd want to put a stop to coordinated retreat climbing, but wouldn't a more elegant solution have been that after you attack a certain player, there'd be a cooldown period before you could attack that player again? That would please both sides of the equation:it would limit the possibility of retreat climbing, but it would also mean you can't get sniped by the same guy three times in a row while you're trying to get to 1k.

I don't think they have anybody capable of coding something like that. Or they would have done that a long time ago. Over and over again people have suggested that people not be able to get hit by the same player over and over again super fast. If they had smart enough coders, it would have been done.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    I think a lot of people aren't really understanding why this change is being made (well, there's 2 changes so I'll just talk on the defensive wins one). I seriously doubt the devs care that people are "boosting" teammates from 900 to 1k with little effort, and at those scores very few points were even being added overall. The "loophole" or whatever you guys want to call it was the coordinated retreat climb that could start 20 minutes into an event with players at 200 points (okay maybe later and higher points but I never tried this so who knows). Two people at the top of the leaderboard could find each other after maybe 2 skips and each retreat nets a lot of points into the system at low point levels and still works up to ~900. So all you need is a large expendable roster and a climbing partner and you could go from 500-900 without actually playing any matches. This was all because we complained about losing so many points with matches taking longer so they lessened point losses from "losing" injecting more points into the system per fight.

Anyway, can we get rid of the inane personal attacks please? take it to PMs if you want to continue. Also to those complaining about "whiners", these guys know a ton about how this game works and if you look back have probably been right more often than not when predicting what effects changes will have, so at least hear them out.

Well stated, Mohio. I don't understand the level of animosity between anonymous internetters going on here. Is it due to the competitive nature of the game, or is it simply due to lack of manners? I play this little Q&A game with my daughter when she says something mean. The questions are as follows:

1. Would you like it if someone said that to you?
    2. What would be a better way to say that?
    3. Are you really mad about that, or is there a larger issue bothering you?
    4. In the future, how are you going to speak to that person?
    5. How can I help?

I think that last one is the most important. How can we, as a community, help the more negative members start being polite?

One way is to remain polite ourselves. Let's all lead by example. I'm pretty concerned with these changes. It seems like the potential for losing more points from losses will have a negative impact. However, I will not resort to bickering with people on the forums about it. We are not scoring points with pithy one-liners. Actually, we just lose credibility.

Another is to stop feeding the trolls. If someone replies to a point you made with name-calling or a general lack of civility, ignore them. It should be that simple. When the trolls stop getting attention, they stop being trolls and turn into pumpkins or something.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

I'm not familiar with the exploit and how it works (please educate me on the details if I am wrong in my assumptions here), but if the intention of PvP is to acquire points by winning battles against opponents, and you have found a "loophole" that lets you acquire more point by intentionally losing battles instead, then you are exploiting a game mechanic the defeats the spirit of the game. It may not be "unethical", but if you are doing this to gain an advantage over players that aren't using this exploit then you are kind of a piece of tinykitty.

#1 its not an exploit, if it were a lot of players would have been banned
    #2 they are still playing the game, just not in the same way you probably were.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:

For someone who admits he doesn't understand what he's talking about, calling people out like in that last sentence is a pretty daring shot in the dark, wouldn't you say?

Nobody is topping pvp brackets using this. People were using it to inject more points into a bracket early when everyone is worth 10-15 points and boosting people into the 1k progression reward. The tactic discussed requires people to spend a lot of time unshielded, and if anyone attempted it over 1k they would be sniped into oblivon. Nobody was being harmed by this, unless you consider "not getting progression as easily as some people" being harmed. In which case everyone who has a nice roster is harming everyone that doesn't.
    So how exactly did it work? You find a buddy and both continually lose to each other boosting your scores to 1k? Could you do this with a 2* roster? Once you got to 1k couldn't you then shield to stay there and take a top (or near it) finish beating out players with developed rosters grinding for days trying to get the same score?

This sounds super shady, and would definitely be a mechanic/exploit/loophole that breaks competitive play. It's certainly something devs would want to get rid of.....what am I missing?
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I still believe the game would be better if they just removed shielding entirely.

Then it would be more about playing the actual game and less about a bizarre meta.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:
    I still believe the game would be better if they just removed shielding entirely.

Then it would be more about playing the actual game and less about a bizarre meta.

You're missing the point of $hield$
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:

So how exactly did it work? You find a buddy and both continually lose to each other boosting your scores to 1k? Could you do this with a 2* roster? Once you got to 1k couldn't you then shield to stay there and take a top (or near it) finish beating out players with developed rosters grinding for days trying to get the same score?

This sounds super shady, and would definitely be a mechanic/exploit/loophole that breaks competitive play. It's certainly something devs would want to get rid of.....what am I missing?
    You're missing a lot of things, none of which I feel like explaining. Maybe it's your tone, maybe it's how you're willing to call people dishonest while not knowing what you're talking about.

Mj4ens.gif
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:

Please no. PVP pre-Shield was a horrible grindfest and I have absolutely zero desire to return to it.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    You're missing a lot of things, none of which I feel like explaining. Maybe it's your tone, maybe it's how you're willing to call people dishonest while not knowing what you're talking about.
    I didn't call anyone dishonest, I said IF that was how it works (which you are telling me it isn't) then it would certainly be an exploit. So then how DOES it work??????

The only explanation I have seen is from mohio saying " you could go from 500-900 without actually playing any matches". I don't think I have EVER scored 900 points, and I'm on day 225 or something like that. Getting to 900 without ever playing sounds like an exploit to me.
This discussion has been closed.