Changes To Scoring In Versus Events

Options

Comments

• whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:

Who's talking about the earlier stages alone? The whole effect is compounded throughout the climb and if there's truly an increase in difficulty once the very top scores are reached, the total difficulty will be probably evened out.

To make clearer my point: In nowadays' MMR, my average score earn per fight sits around 30, with scores over 35 being common during the first few hundreds and scores under 30 (but over 25) being the norm later on. As such, reaching 1k needs 34 victories or so. If 38 is indeed going to be the new 25, there's reason to believe that the average score per victory will be 45, but let's be pessimistic and say it's going to be 40. That's only 25 victories to reach 1k! Much faster, less chances for bad breaks and offensive losses, less health packs used. Whatever negative change it causes on accumulated defensive losses, it would have to be HUGE to outweigh having to play 30% less fights during your climb.

Moreover, closing gaps will be easier and safer: Many times I have sat around 960 points being unable to find a single fight to bridge the gap to 1k with a single fight, so it's either spend HP in another shield-hop just for the very last few points (and risk an additional unshielding) or attempt the suicidal risk of playing two quick rounds in a row and hope that your score adds up to get the 4* before the flurry of inevitable attacks registers. Now, it will be quite more possible to breach the gap with a single, quick battle. And this effect also compounds! Sitting at 920 before meant the necessity for 3-4 shields depending on your targets. Now, it may theoretically be done with 2. If 38 will really be the new 25, 1k is only 5-6 fights away from 800+ points, rather than 8!

So what you are saying is your average scores is dictated by the fact that you don't use the skip button as much as vets? Seriously, when I climb I skip skip skip skip skip skip skip skip find a 40+ point target attack. Why? Because everybody's team at the high end is basically near the same, so there is no reason to hit somebody with lower points. The current MMR has anybody with a top 10 capable roster facing others of the same value system.
    This is because the top end is rather homogeneous. On occasion a weak team did rise up, and can be seen, and they are brought down rather quickly for high points, but for the most part the high end vets brutalize each other, because MMQ protects other people from them.
    Also if the cap is still at 50, and they have not said they will lift the cap, then basically, people with non top 10 rosters will gain a benefit but the veterans with top 10 capable teams who know how to use the skip button will not.
    Also, I realize this post can be seen as condescending, and I apologize.
    Also part of this is speculation about if they will lift the 50 point gain cap. I don't think they will. Because if they lift that cap, they might also lift the 50 point snipe cap. Anybody want a -75 point snipe? Don't worry.. This too will pass.
  • sc0ville
    sc0ville Posts: 115 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This sounds super shady, and would definitely be a mechanic/exploit/loophole that breaks competitive play. It's certainly something devs would want to get rid of.....what am I missing?

The biggest benefit from boosting was generating points in shards. My concern with this new structure is how difficult it will be to populate a shard with enough points for everyone to climb. Personally, I'm especially dubious for this pvp in particular because profx purple is one of the covers I have been coveting for a while. This being a non-season event with a falcon reward, it's very easy to imagine there simply won't be enough points available to reach 1k, no matter how you play.

The way most people engaged in boosting (as I understand it) still required quite a lot of "playing" the game, you still needed fights to climb to equilibrium, and it was often more efficient to engage in a fight than it was to retreat climb (which tended to cost more in ISO than it did in health packs). The nicest part about it, was that it ensured that there were enough points generated into the system regardless of which shard you were in. If you've ever queued into a point dry shard, you'll know there's nothing enjoyable about scratching your way to an 800 max.

Fixing retreat boosting seems perfectly fair and reasonable to me, but the way they choose to do it leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm envisioning a lot more dry shards than in the past, especially if they don't raise the win-max to 75 from 50.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:
    I still believe the game would be better if they just removed shielding entirely.

Then it would be more about playing the actual game and less about a bizarre meta.

And then every PVP would be a 90 minute "join, sprint, and pray you don't get hit" right at the end of an event...just like it used to be before shields were introduced.

marc
  • Unknown
    Options
    djsquillz wrote:
    Nellobee wrote:
    I still believe the game would be better if they just removed shielding entirely.

Then it would be more about playing the actual game and less about a bizarre meta.

And then every PVP would be a 90 minute "join, sprint, and pray you don't get hit" right at the end of an event...just like it used to be before shields were introduced.

marc
    That's the only way I was playing the events when they were using their "fun new MMR".

Join late and snipe the living **** out of everyone
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tredo wrote:
    Well stated, Mohio. I don't understand the level of animosity between anonymous internetters going on here. Is it due to the competitive nature of the game, or is it simply due to lack of manners? I play this little Q&A game with my daughter when she says something mean.
    It's pretty obvious to me. It's a fall out of frustration of top alliances verse everyone else.

It's really not more complex than that. The devs have done a good job of not 'destroying' the game due to the top 3%, but the top 3% have 'ruined' the game for many others. Frankly speaking there are a LOT of players with the ability and the rosters to get a top 5 finish, a chance at the 4* covers or triple covers they covet, but due to 'essentially' exploits (more on that in a sec) they can't compete unless they go mercenary or join up with one of those top alliance, some times - such as myself, requiring them to leave friends and family currently in their alliance.

As for 'essentially exploit', I think there is some...disagreement with what an exploit is. An exploit is NOT cheating. Exploit means to take advatnage of. Gaming or overgaming a in a way not originally intended. The current top rank PvP is dominated by those gaming the system, it is NOT cheating and should not be called as such, but it is taking advatnage of the system in a way not intended by the devs.

So the players that complain about "playing fair" are frustrated because they can't compete, because they aren't in the top groups, doing what they do. It's how people felt during Sentry Bombing when they didn't have Sentry...you had to work expotentially hard to keep up, but ultimately, you still couldn't consistnetly beat a Sentry/Hood team. I could climb to #1 in my slice right now and shield and fight as much as I want, at the end of the day, I'm going to get 'undercut' in the last hour or so by several high alliance members bouncing off each other. so after all that work, I'm left 'maybe' with a top 25 finish, and no 4* to continue to 'end game', while the covers won, are ultimately just sold for ISO by most of the high players. Or if its a new character, I get a double whammy in the next even not having the covers to compete.

Now, I'm honestly not complaining right now, I've personally given up on 4*, they aren't that great, and I'll never be able to get the covers because I'm not going to 'leave' the alliance that has my mother and my wife in it, nor do the insane amount of work in PvE (or deal with the crummy scaling) to get a top finish (anymore), but I'm saying all this to try and explain the frustration of others.
    - Unreall
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    You're missing a lot of things, none of which I feel like explaining. Maybe it's your tone, maybe it's how you're willing to call people dishonest while not knowing what you're talking about.
    I didn't call anyone dishonest, I said IF that was how it works (which you are telling me it isn't) then it would certainly be an exploit. So then how DOES it work??????

The only explanation I have seen is from mohio saying " you could go from 500-900 without actually playing any matches". I don't think I have EVER scored 900 points, and I'm on day 225 or something like that. Getting to 900 without ever playing sounds like an exploit to me.

I'll try to give you a rough idea of how it works.
    Get a group of people together.
    Everyone play normally until you get to 600-700.
    Skip until you find someone in your group. Retreat to them.
    If your points start to dip too low, attack non group members to get your points up.
    Once you are around 800 or so, pick who goes first.
    That person stops retreating and starts fighting people normally while everyone else finds and retreats to them.
    Once the first person gets to 1000, you start working on the next person. The first person will dump points as fast as they can to other people in the group.
    Continue until everyone in the group has passed 1000. If someone actually cares about placement, they will be last in the list so that they can shield at that point.

Anyone who doesn't shield will probably end up back in that 600-700 range that they were in before they started boosting. You then proceed to play "normally," the way god intended you to.
    Boosting is typically done the day before an event actually ends to avoid all the late starters. It is a way to ensure that you get the progression without leaving things to chance and a bad hop. It helps others in the same time slice as it injects points into the system and allows them to find higher point targets.

Why do people do this instead of playing the "right way?" Health packs. You have enough health packs to cover about 1.66 bad games. When you run out of health packs, you can either buy more (don't do this), buy a shield to recharge, or hang out there and get decimated. Even if you don't get wiped, you will still probably need to use 1-2 health packs every third battle or so. Using a team that is not your A-Team is not typically possible, as that weaker team you used to go a little bit further will be a target for everyone.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tredo wrote:
    Well stated, Mohio. I don't understand the level of animosity between anonymous internetters going on here. Is it due to the competitive nature of the game, or is it simply due to lack of manners? I play this little Q&A game with my daughter when she says something mean.
    It's pretty obvious to me. It's a fall out of frustration of top alliances verse everyone else.

It's really not more complex than that. The devs have done a good job of not 'destroying' the game due to the top 3%, but the top 3% have 'ruined' the game for many others. Frankly speaking there are a LOT of players with the ability and the rosters to get a top 5 finish, a chance at the 4* covers or triple covers they covet, but due to 'essentially' exploits (more on that in a sec) they can't compete unless they go mercenary or join up with one of those top alliance, some times - such as myself, requiring them to leave friends and family currently in their alliance.

As for 'essentially exploit', I think there is some...disagreement with what an exploit is. An exploit is NOT cheating. Exploit means to take advatnage of. Gaming or overgaming a in a way not originally intended. The current top rank PvP is dominated by those gaming the system, it is NOT cheating and should not be called as such, but it is taking advatnage of the system in a way not intended by the devs.

So the players that complain about "playing fair" are frustrated because they can't compete, because they aren't in the top groups, doing what they do. It's how people felt during Sentry Bombing when they didn't have Sentry...you had to work expotentially hard to keep up, but ultimately, you still couldn't consistnetly beat a Sentry/Hood team. I could climb to #1 in my slice right now and shield and fight as much as I want, at the end of the day, I'm going to get 'undercut' in the last hour or so by several high alliance members bouncing off each other. so after all that work, I'm left 'maybe' with a top 25 finish, and no 4* to continue to 'end game', while the covers won, are ultimately just sold for ISO by most of the high players. Or if its a new character, I get a double whammy in the next even not having the covers to compete.

Now, I'm honestly not complaining right now, I've personally given up on 4*, they aren't that great, and I'll never be able to get the covers because I'm not going to 'leave' the alliance that has my mother and my wife in it, nor do the insane amount of work in PvE (or deal with the crummy scaling) to get a top finish (anymore), but I'm saying all this to try and explain the frustration of others.
    - Unreall
    You're attempting to make this about vets vs everyone, and it's ****. Vets are just people who have played the game longer. What you call "gaming the system" is openly talked about and it's open to EVERYONE who is willing to do what it takes to play at that level - usually, just playing a lot.

If you're not willing to put in the work, fine. Just don't begrudge those who are, and don't blame bad game design on us. We play the game within the rules, we just do it more efficiently than people who don't care to.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation, Ebolamonkey84.

On the one hand, it's very clever and I understand why people do it. On the other, it's clearly not in the "spirit" of the game. But so much is broken I wouldn't know where to start to fix it all.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boosting has always been a thing, but in my experience actual retreat climbing became a lot more prevalent after the infamous MMR change, which was a pain in the backside for top-end players more because of the 'if you get over x amount of points, you'll be visible to everybody' than because of the climb taking longer and being a bigger a hassle. I think it's safe to say that anyone who actually engages in retreat climbing or boosting has enough experience in the game and a roster that's developed enough to be able to reach 1k without it, but doing so takes a big investment in both time and HP for shields, and even then it's still a bit of a crapshoot because a bad cascade and/or a couple of fast snipes can keep you from reaching that final threshold (and will require an even bigger investment in HP if it's near the end of the event and you only have your 300HP shield left thanks to those wonderful 8 hour cooldowns). Retreat climbing saves you HP (which is probably the main reason why it's being dealt with, let's be honest) and time at the expense of having to coordinate well with alliance members or other friendlies and of ISO for skips.

What bugs me about the way this change has been implemented is not that the change itself is being made, since I see where it's coming from (even though I think it's more a matter of revenue than overall game health/balance, but I'm a cynic that way), but the way in which it's implemented: the increased points gain is once again a change that benefits lower-level players a lot more than top-end veterans (since unless I've misinterpreted the, frankly rather vague, official explanation, fights at 800/900+ still won't give you more than about 20-30 points, yet guys at the bottom will be able to hit you for a lot more from now on), just like pretty much every change made in the past couple of months other than DDQ and the expansion of 4* PvE Alliance covers to top 100 instead of top 50.

Don't get me wrong, I want everybody to enjoy playing regardless of whether they're on day 500 or on day 20, but I do get the feeling that the enjoyment of the top-end vets doesn't really seem to matter much to the devs anymore, and will continue to feel that way until some kind of change makes it into the game that does address long-running issues for veteran players (*coughcoughrosterslotpricescoughcough). But right now it seems like they feel we've had it too good for too long already, and they're doing their damnedest to rectify that situation.
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Tredo wrote:

- Unreall

I totally understand the frustration. There have been some changes recently that have negatively impacted the game. On the other hand, I hope that the community members that are attacking each other understand that their frustration does not excuse their poor behavior.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

If you're not willing to put in the work, fine. Just don't begrudge those who are, and don't blame bad game design on us. We play the game within the rules, we just do it more efficiently than people who don't care to.

There is the magic word: work.

People should take more time to think about this amusement (time-sink) and that word and why they seem congruent within their psyche.

Once it is work, it's no longer play.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jackstar0 wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:

There is the magic word: work.

People should take more time to think about this amusement (time-sink) and that word and why they seem congruent within their psyche.

Once it is work, it's no longer play.
    You don't get to decide how people should play this game.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Boosting has always been a thing, but in my experience actual retreat climbing became a lot more prevalent after the infamous MMR change, which was a pain in the backside for top-end players more because of the 'if you get over x amount of points, you'll be visible to everybody' than because of the climb taking longer and being a bigger a hassle. I think it's safe to say that anyone who actually engages in retreat climbing or boosting has enough experience in the game and a roster that's developed enough to be able to reach 1k without it, but doing so takes a big investment in both time and HP for shields, and even then it's still a bit of a crapshoot because a bad cascade and/or a couple of fast snipes can keep you from reaching that final threshold (and will require an even bigger investment in HP if it's near the end of the event and you only have your 300HP shield left thanks to those wonderful 8 hour cooldowns). Retreat climbing saves you HP (which is probably the main reason why it's being dealt with, let's be honest) and time at the expense of having to coordinate well with alliance members or other friendlies and of ISO for skips.

What bugs me about the way this change has been implemented is not that the change itself is being made, since I see where it's coming from (even though I think it's more a matter of revenue than overall game health/balance, but I'm a cynic that way), but the way in which it's implemented: the increased points gain is once again a change that benefits lower-level players a lot more than top-end veterans (since unless I've misinterpreted the, frankly rather vague, official explanation, fights at 800/900+ still won't give you more than about 20-30 points, yet guys at the bottom will be able to hit you for a lot more from now on), just like pretty much every change made in the past couple of months other than DDQ and the expansion of 4* PvE Alliance covers to top 100 instead of top 50.

Don't get me wrong, I want everybody to enjoy playing regardless of whether they're on day 500 or on day 20, but I do get the feeling that the enjoyment of the top-end vets doesn't really seem to matter much to the devs anymore, and will continue to feel that way until some kind of change makes it into the game that does address long-running issues for veteran players (*coughcoughrosterslotpricescoughcough). But right now it seems like they feel we've had it too good for too long already, and they're doing their damnedest to rectify that situation.

With so few types of events, the devs have to endeavor to please the widest portion of the audience. "Vets" are a tiny fraction, both in number, and in terms of revenue.

Unless new event types are launched, with differing parameters geared toward differing styles of play, "catering" to vets is only to happen by happenstance.

But yes, you're spot on that as described, this will yet again intensify the gravity on PVP, pulling players toward the middle. Faster starts, more begrudging climbs, more precipitous falls!
  • jackstar0
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

Firstly, I get to do whatever I want.

Secondly, I can judge as much as I want. People judge me and I'm cool with that. Just like the lord tacitly implied was the way to do it.

Thirdly, I wasn't deciding how people should do anything. I was suggesting that people take a moment of introspection and consider that when they use the word "work" in relation to an entertainment they might want to consider what that's about.

Lastly, carry on, gamer.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jackstar0 wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:

Firstly, I get to do whatever I want.

Secondly, I can judge as much as I want. People judge me and I'm cool with that. Just like the lord tacitly implied was the way to do it.

Thirdly, I wasn't deciding how people should do anything. I was suggesting that people take a moment of introspection and consider that when they use the word "work" in relation to an entertainment they might want to consider what that's about.

Lastly, carry on, gamer.
    No you misunderstand me, you can ramble on as much as you want, just know that nobody is listening. I just pointed out one of many reasons why.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options

On the one hand, it's very clever and I understand why people do it. On the other, it's clearly not in the "spirit" of the game. But so much is broken I wouldn't know where to start to fix it all.

Let's not forget, they decide if the progressives are at the correct level by how many people get those, not what final scores are. So basically, boosting gave them false data where if appeared that enough people playing normally were hitting progressives so that those progressives did not need to be lowered. So if their points change does not facilitate enough people hitting the progressive they should be lowered (as they probably would have been shortly after the MMR change if not for this loophole).

Also, most people I know were complaining how much PVP was taking as a result of MMR changes, weekly buffs, 4* nerfs, and health buffs. These were the people that really enjoyed the retreat boosting. It was a way to avoid the slogfest the aforementioned changes had created. Disregarding alternatives to this new defense loss change and the MMR change, as long as these changes produce shorter PVP play for the same results, I think players will accept it.

It think most players are guarded about if the change will work they way that has been stated as well as being able to hit the progressives. I am not saying that they are without reason to be guarded, but I am saying it would be nice if we get the promised results.
  • Unknown
    Options

Let's not forget, they decide if the progressives are at the correct level by how many people get those, not what final scores are. So basically, boosting gave them false data where if appeared that enough people playing normally were hitting progressives so that those progressives did not need to be lowered. So if their points change does not facilitate enough people hitting the progressive they should be lowered (as they probably would have been shortly after the MMR change if not for this loophole).

Also, most people I know were complaining how much PVP was taking as a result of MMR changes, weekly buffs, 4* nerfs, and health buffs. These were the people that really enjoyed the retreat boosting. It was a way to avoid the slogfest the aforementioned changes had created. Disregarding alternatives to this new defense loss change and the MMR change, as long as these changes produce shorter PVP play for the same results, I think players will accept it.

It think most players are guarded about if the change will work they way that has been stated as well as being able to hit the progressives. I am not saying that they are without reason to be guarded, but I am saying it would be nice if we get the promised results.
    No. People were still finishing around what they always finished.
  • jackstar0
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    No you misunderstand me, you can ramble on as much as you want, just know that nobody is listening. I just pointed out one of many reasons why.
    But again, I wasn't doing what you said.

But I'll never try to change you. You're obviously perfect like this.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:

No. People were still finishing around what they always finished.

It's not about where people finish. It's about how many hit the progressives.

Also, the beneficial part of this change has not even commenced yet.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Using normal in game mechanisms to play event is not an exploit.

I'm not familiar with the exploit and how it works (please educate me on the details if I am wrong in my assumptions here), but if the intention of PvP is to acquire points by winning battles against opponents, and you have found a "loophole" that lets you acquire more point by intentionally losing battles instead, then you are exploiting a game mechanic the defeats the spirit of the game. It may not be "unethical", but if you are doing this to gain an advantage over players that aren't using this exploit then you are kind of a piece of tinykitty.
    For someone who admits he doesn't understand what he's talking about, calling people out like in that last sentence is a pretty daring shot in the dark, wouldn't you say?

Nobody is topping pvp brackets using this. People were using it to inject more points into a bracket early when everyone is worth 10-15 points and boosting people into the 1k progression reward. The tactic discussed requires people to spend a lot of time unshielded, and if anyone attempted it over 1k they would be sniped into oblivon. Nobody was being harmed by this, unless you consider "not getting progression as easily as some people" being harmed. In which case everyone who has a nice roster is harming everyone that doesn't.
    So how exactly did it work? You find a buddy and both continually lose to each other boosting your scores to 1k? Could you do this with a 2* roster? Once you got to 1k couldn't you then shield to stay there and take a top (or near it) finish beating out players with developed rosters grinding for days trying to get the same score?

This sounds super shady, and would definitely be a mechanic/exploit/loophole that breaks competitive play. It's certainly something devs would want to get rid of.....what am I missing?

No you most likely could not do this with a 2 star roster. The people who did this were people who had at least 50 to 60 rosters slots.
    Each retreat is going to hurt your characters by 25%. So you would use the powered up characters that is donated to you by MPQ and two of your unused characters. You find the other person and you guys take turns retreating to each other. At lower level of points around the 400 to 500 mark the gains were high, but finding the other person cost you a lot of ISO. At around 550 points or higher, the gains were low and each person would gain about 3 to 5 points per retreat. At around 700 points the gains was 3 points per retreat. But you can find the retreat partner easier so you burn less ISO. People were limited by roster size.
This discussion has been closed.