Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: The Results!

Options

Comments

• Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    I'm also going to pitch in on the side of the Fury is underrated camp. There are only three characters in the game who can potentially one shot a high health opponent: X-Force, IMHB, and Fury.

Thoress.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cymmina wrote:
    stowaway wrote:
    I don't know about Kingpin or Cyclops as top five. Top Ten for sure. If Kamala or Hulkbuster are going to take someone's place in the Top Five, I'd vote The Hood down way before any of the others.
    Hood accelerates everybody thats why hes rated so high, hes a staple of every1s roster.troster.theres a good reason why he didnt get a health buff.

Personally, I don't feel like Hood is top 5 (but I can certainly see why the others are). He's my only fully covered 3* character (5/4/4). With only 4 blue covers, he just sits around being useless. I'd rather have OBW or Loki on my team if I'm needing AP steal. Twin Pistols seems rather lackluster compared to Righteous Uppercut, and Intimidation is pretty lol compared to Jab Jab Cross (is it even good if you use characters that use count down timers?). Hell, I don't even have Luke Cage even close to max covered (5/2/2) and I still think he is the better character.

Maybe my opinion will change if I ever get that last blue cover for Hood and have some of those other top tier characters to pair with him.
    If u go against a hood without one he can wreck u.hu.his yellow has got me more last minute wins than I can remember.and his black while not powerful can be extremely useful.if u look at a few top players rosters im willing to bet most have two hoods alternating full yellow/black.no disrespect meant to you but I have 24 max cover 3 stars 13 of which 166 and apart from kamala and cyclops hes better than all of em.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for doing these rankings. It's always appreciated.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Overall, the top 5 is pretty good (hood is the only character that doesn't belong in the top 5 discussion). But 6-10 is a bit of mess. Lazy Cap, Patch, and cMags are all significantly too high. Those are very solid characters, but not as good as the more recent top tier releases. Khan, Fury, Cyclops, Xforce, IMHB, 4* thor all need to be bumped up into or close to the top 10.

Hood = Loki they both serve the same function, and whatever loki give up to hood y not having direct damage, he makes up for his incredibly useful purple and higher health (plus he totally destroys teams that rely on strike or protect tiles). Both are top tier support characters, and should be in the back half of the to 20.

Luke Cage definitely belongs in the top 5. He has probably the best defensive skill in the game, and pairs it with two awesome damage dealing abilities that are different and almost always useful in their own way. Hood goes out of the top 5 before cage.

IMO, the top 7 should be something like:

Prof X
    Iron Fist
    IMHB
    Lazy Thor
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Kamala Khan

And very sincere thanks to EBM84 for all the work of doing these rankings!
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Top 5 is up. Write ups will start coming out a bit faster during the off season, as today I will be trying for t10 in PVE and t50 for season.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3*thor wow wasnt expecting that.makes sense I suppose every1s got one
  • Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Overall, the top 5 is pretty good (hood is the only character that doesn't belong in the top 5 discussion). But 6-10 is a bit of mess. Lazy Cap, Patch, and cMags are all way to high. Those are very solid characters, but not as good as the more recent . Khan, Fury, Cyclops, Xforce, IMHB, 4* thor

Hood = Loki they both serve the same function, and whatever loki give up to hood y not having direct damage, he makes up for his incredibly useful purple and higher health (plus he totally destroys teams that rely on strike or protect tiles). Both are top tier support characters, and should be in the back half of the to 20.

Luke Cage definitely belongs in the top 5. He has probably the best defensive skill in the game, and pairs it with two awesome damage dealing abilities that are different and almost always useful in their own way. Hood goes out of the top 5 before cage.

IMO, the top 7 should be something like:

Prof X
    Iron Fist
    IMHB
    Lazy Thor
    Cage
    Cyclops
    Kamala Khan

And very sincere thanks to EBM for all the work of doing these rankings!

Hood is top 5 by virtue of best support who's not professor x, Luke Cage doesn't belong top 5 with certain characters being criminally underrated, as has been discussed Lazy Cap is up there because that's what the people want

~~~~

Iron Fist is better than 3*, he's practically cancerous.

Professor X should be higher for the same reason

cage goes down

Hood is fine

Thor is expected, but should go down a bit once people revolve into Hulkbusting

It's no coincidence 2/3 of SonofMagstorm were top 5 in this poll. And the haters doubted me.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Comparing to Dec 2014 rankings and adding topic links:

Final Rankings:
    1. 3* Thor (+2)
    2. Professor X (new)
    3. Iron Fist (new)
    4. Luke Cage (new)
    5. The Hood (+6)
    6. 3* Magneto (+6)
    7. 3* Captain America (+3)
    8. 3* Wolverine (+6)
    9. Blade (+4)
    10. Cyclops (new)
    11. 4* Thor (-5)
    12. Black Panther (-2)
    13. 4* Wolverine (-8)
    14. 3* Daken (-5)
    15. Nick Fury (-7)
    16. Loki (+11)
    17. 4* Iron Man (new)
    18. 2* Black Widow (+16)
    19. Doctor Doom (+14)
    20. Kamala Kahn (new)
    21. Deadpool (-3)
    22. The Hulk (-3)
    23. Kingpin (new)
    24. Rocket & Groot (+5)
    25. 3* Black Widow (+3)
    26. Falcon (unchanged)
    27. Ares (+13)
    28. 3* Human Torch (-5)
    29. Scarlet Witch (new)
    30. Daredevil (+4)
    31. Mystique (-3)
    32. Punisher (-6)
    33. 2* Thor (+14)
    34. 3* Captain Marvel (-11)
    35. Elektra (new)
    36. 3* Storm (+5)
    37. Star-Lord (who?)
    38. 2* Storm (+10)
    39. She-Hulk (+5)
    40. Devil Dinosaur (-16)
    41. Invisible Woman (+5)
    42. 2* Magneto (+10)
    43. Gamora (-6)
    44. Psylocke (-9)
    45. 2* Daken (+6)
    46. 2 * Wolverine (+7)
    47. Squirrel Girl (new)
    48. Colossus (-13)
    49. Juggernaut (+10)
    50. 3* Spider-Man (-8)
    51. 3* Iron Man (+-10)
    52. Sentry (-24)
    53. Quicksilver (new)
    54. 2* Human Torch (+3)
    55. 2* Hawkeye (+1)
    56. Beast (-4)
    57. 2* Captain Marvel (+1)
    58. Doctor Octopus (-9)
    59. Ragnarok (-12)
    60. 2* Captain America (-1)
    61. 1* Black Widow (+2)
    62. 1* Storm (+2)
    63. 1* Iron Man (+2)
    64. Moonstone (-2)
    65. Bullseye (-4)
    66. Venom (+2)
    67. 1* Hawkeye (unchanged)
    68. 2* Spider-Man (-2)
    69. Yelena Belova (unchanged)

New:
    3* Vision (Android Avenger)
    3* Bullseye
  • Arondite
    Options
    The actual top 5

1. Iron Man (Hulkbuster)
    2. Thor (Goddess of Thunder)
    3/4. Nick Fury / Thor (Modern)
    5. Wolverine (X-Force)
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hulkbuster and KK are underranked, HB criminally so. If I were to redo the top 10 myself, I'd drop Blade and Cyclops, pushing Steve to 10th. I dare say that the interim rankings are closer in terms of comparative rankings - these results seem more biased by things like - "well X-Force was at a 10, so he must be at a 8 now", whereas he was probably an 11 before, now he's a 9.5. Basically, what was '10' has shifted down. Neat to see some of the trends vindicated in both polls:
    Daken and Fury - both overrated in the Dec rankings.
    Cap Marvel - had a huge drop in both polls, due to IF and Cyclops generating red and black better. Way too niche now.
    Mystique - Personally consider her underrated, but she's best used for AP denial battles.

I think Fury's about right where he is. Sure AA is amazing once you have the AP. The problem becomes if you get the yellow early on, it's not that useful and won't do much. Or if you had to fire off one of your abilities earlier, now you don't have the AP to activate the sub-ability. It's one of those wait and hold on abilities, which people will rate lower. The lack of synergy kills him, which is why we see Daken rated higher, despite Daken being significantly weaker as a standalone. Hate to say it, but in half the battles, if I had to choose between BP and Fury, I'd take BP. Quicker, dirtier kill. Surprised Storm (mohawk) climbed as much with a minor health buff, though it could be the X-Force nerf too.
  • Arondite
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    It's no coincidence 2/3 of SonofMagstorm were top 5 in this poll. And the haters doubted me.

Uhh... 1/3rd. It's the other Magneto, bro.

Also that team name makes no damn sense. How is Xavier the "son" of Magstorm?
  • Unknown
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Hulkbuster and KK are underranked, HB criminally so. If I were to redo the top 10 myself, I'd drop Blade and Cyclops, pushing Steve to 10th. I dare say that the interim rankings are closer in terms of comparative rankings - these results seem more biased by things like - "well X-Force was at a 10, so he must be at a 8 now", whereas he was probably an 11 before, now he's a 9.5. Basically, what was '10' has shifted down. Neat to see some of the trends vindicated in both polls:
    Daken and Fury - both overrated in the Dec rankings.
    Cap Marvel - had a huge drop in both polls, due to IF and Cyclops generating red and black better. Way too niche now.
    Mystique - Personally consider her underrated, but she's best used for AP denial battles.

I think Fury's about right where he is. Sure AA is amazing once you have the AP. The problem becomes if you get the yellow early on, it's not that useful and won't do much. Or if you had to fire off one of your abilities earlier, now you don't have the AP to activate the sub-ability. It's one of those wait and hold on abilities, which people will rate lower. The lack of synergy kills him, which is why we see Daken rated higher, despite Daken being significantly weaker as a standalone. Hate to say it, but in half the battles, if I had to choose between BP and Fury, I'd take BP. Quicker, dirtier kill. Surprised Storm (mohawk) climbed as much with a minor health buff, though it could be the X-Force nerf too.
    interesting way to think about Carol's plummet. Hm.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was thinking about the poll and about how people vote in case of characters they don't have and haven't opportunity to play them yet.
    Maybe in the next poll kind of blank vote should be possible to prevent guessing for characters we don't use.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    smoq84 wrote:
    I was thinking about the poll and about how people vote in case of characters they don't have and haven't opportunity to play them yet.
    Maybe in the next poll kind of blank vote should be possible to prevent guessing for characters we don't use.

Well, without a clear steer one way or the other the scope may also be how people rank opponents when they have to face them as well as when they play them.

The likes of Hulkbuster and Nick Fury aren't awe inspiring if you only fight them at L94 - 166, where their health & offense is far below the max. play experience
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First thanks ebolamonkey for the ratings. Taking over for his task is time consuming and hard work.
    2nd I think we will look back on this ratings and see we have rated Cyclops, KK, and Hulkbuster way to low, and with the health changes Hood is now too high. I also don't know what the love again is with 3* thor. Is he powerful? yes. Dos he have high health? Yes. Does anyone really use him from 700-1000+ points in PVP? Not really. Th reason why is he is too slow. If you are in simulator and why to run a 3* team run IF, cyclops, LCage. Cyclops does massiv single target damage while IF wittles you down, and cage protects you. I take cyclops over Thor for top 3* and Hulkbuster, Profesor X, 4Thor, Xforce and IW are all very playable 4* characters. I have not gotten enough covers of king pin, Electra, and Starlord to comment on them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ...3* Thor at the top? Nobody still uses him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ...3* Thor at the top? Nobody still uses him.
    Is this internet sarcasm, or are you unaware of the different groupings of players who may find 3*Thor viable?
    wymtime wrote:
    First thanks ebolamonkey for the ratings. Taking over for his task is time consuming and hard work.
    2nd I think we will look back on this ratings and see we have rated Cyclops, KK, and Hulkbuster way to low, and with the health changes Hood is now too high. I also don't know what the love again is with 3* thor. Is he powerful? yes. Dos he have high health? Yes. Does anyone really use him from 700-1000+ points in PVP? Not really. Th reason why is he is too slow. If you are in simulator and why to run a 3* team run IF, cyclops, LCage. Cyclops does massiv single target damage while IF wittles you down, and cage protects you. I take cyclops over Thor for top 3* and Hulkbuster, Profesor X, 4Thor, Xforce and IW are all very playable 4* characters. I have not gotten enough covers of king pin, Electra, and Starlord to comment on them.

agree except for hood/this isn't a poll about PVP viability from 700-1000
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

Are you arguing that Hood belongs in the top 5? How can you accept a ranking that has Loki more than ten spots away from Hood? they serve the same purpose and work almost as well (yes, Loki lacks a heavy nuke like Hood, but he also has 20% more health and a great board control move in Illusions). Hood might nudge ahead of loki by a tiny bit with his slightly higher defensive value, but there doesn't seem tobe any way to justify a ranking more than ten slots different.

I agree that the rankings shouldn't JUST be about PVP from 700-1000. But as others have pointed out, there is no one who is good from 700-1000 in pvp that isn't ALSO pretty good in pve. That's why those characters are the most desirable, they are useful in all occasions. Other characters are pve stars, but lose a little bit in pvp, so they have less utility overall. That is why, in my opinion, the rankings should broadly go like this:

1-10(ish) The top all-around performers, solid in pvp and pve
    10-30(ish) the best support characters and single mode (pve) stars
    30=50(ish) The low tier 3*s and the very best 2*s
    50+ The trash tier 3*s, the weaker 2*s and the 1*s
    Bagman
    Yelena
  • Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

Are you arguing that Hood belongs in the top 5? How can you accept a ranking that has Loki more than ten spots away from Hood? they serve the same purpose and work almost as well (yes, Loki lacks a heavy nuke like Hood, but he also has 20% more health and a great board control move in Illusions). Hood might nudge ahead of loki by a tiny bit with his slightly higher defensive value, but there doesn't seem tobe any way to justify a ranking more than ten slots different.

I agree that the rankings shouldn't JUST be about PVP from 700-1000. But as others have pointed out, there is no one who is good from 700-1000 in pvp that isn't ALSO pretty good in pve. That's why those characters are the most desirable, they are useful in all occasions. Other characters are pve stars, but lose a little bit in pvp, so they have less utility overall. That is why, in my opinions, the rankings should broadly go like this:

1-10(ish) The top all-around performers, solid in pvp and pve
    10-30(ish) the best support characters and single mode (pve) stars
    30=50(ish) The low tier 3*s and the very best 2*s
    50+ The trash tier 3*s, the weaker 2*s and the 1*s
    Bagman
    Yelena

I'm arguing hood has best ability in game, I didn't say Loki was placed appropriately

Yep, opinion is rife in this thread
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    not sure what the hate for Lthor is about. he's my only 166 - loki at 142 and all the rest near 100. those 2 get me to 600 (automatic t100) every time and 700 if i just do 1 or 2 hops, which lately have been getting me t25 if i care about the other cover. i have started using my stable at 104 with the boosted ones (have ~15 at ~104, which ends up 144 with a weekly boost) but once i hit 500 or so, its thor/loki and they hardly fail. i rated him 10, but rated several others 10s as well. I'm not playing at the top yet - probably not for several months. need to finish covering some other top guys and save some iso to do everything at once. once i do, pve will be screwed.