Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: The Results!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    If the write-ups are going to take a long time, is there any chance we can just see the full list?
    I still want to read the write-ups, but I would prefer not to wait to see who the top ranked characters are if it is going to take a long time to post all of them.

I'll reveal 5 a day starting tomorrow. Does that seem like a reasonable timeline?

2 weeks just the see the results of the poll? That seems very excessive to me, honestly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:
    If the write-ups are going to take a long time, is there any chance we can just see the full list?
    I still want to read the write-ups, but I would prefer not to wait to see who the top ranked characters are if it is going to take a long time to post all of them.

I'll reveal 5 a day starting tomorrow. Does that seem like a reasonable timeline?

2 weeks just the see the results of the poll? That seems very excessive to me, honestly.

I think he's talking about just the hidden characters
  • Unknown
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:

that's how Mischiefmaker did it,

caught ya red handed icon_e_ugeek.gif

You already waited 6 months(drama excluded), what's another 2 weeks?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kappei wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:

I think he's talking about just the hidden characters

Kappei is correct. I meant revealing the last 20 over the next four days.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Do it on your preferred timing. I think we can wait four days to get the final 20 rolled out.
  • Unknown
    Options

Kappei is correct. I meant revealing the last 20 over the next four days.

That was entirely where the misunderstanding was. 4 days is not bad at all. I thought you meant something entirely different.
    Thanks for doing this.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hulkbuster at 17th is very shocking. I expected to see him in the top 5.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    ppl are sleeping on him. As I said in the other thread, ppl are underrating certain characters for silly reasons like not having their covers.

Oh well, more profit for me.

~~~~

Loki is about where I expected him to be, hard to say whether he deserves to be there without seeing top 15

Hulkbuster too low, he's the de facto 4* character to field, I think weekly power ups will hurt him until more people get him fully leveled and specced

It's pretty obvious at this point they should just switch 2* widow for 3* widow in order to 'buff' 3* widow. Same with Storm, maybe....

Doom is about right. Not much to say there

Kamala is about right...but I wonder if she should overtake Loki or not.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Raist818 wrote:
    ppl are sleeping on him. As I said in the other thread, ppl are underrating certain characters for silly reasons like not having their covers.

Oh well, more profit for me.

~~~~

Hulkbuster too low, he's the de facto 4* character to field, I think weekly power ups will hurt him until more people get him fully leveled and specced

That seems about right. I noticed that only 6 characters scored more 10s than he did, which supports your theory on a lot of people underscoring him based on lack of covers.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Loki:

Loki at 16 is about right provided that Hood is in the 12-15 range. Loki and Hood are basically interchangeable now. They have absolutely awesome ap theft skills that are among the best skills in the game and are both used to deny ap to the opponent and slow matches down. Hood has an offensive nuke, loki has more health and completely destroys enemies that use strike/protect tiles. That said, they aren't great by themselves, and so they have a hard time justifying a top 10 ranking.

Doctor Doom:

Doom at 19 is about right. His third power is very interesting, but takes a while to develop (even if you do get 10 purple ap quickly, it usually pays to wait a few rounds to get more trap tiles out (still a great game play mechanic to represent a villains slowly developing, but devastating secret plan!). And his other two abilities are solid but unspectacular. I think he's still more of a support character, as his primary uses are as a black battery or covering otherwise fallow covers. But he has almost 10K health and can often do 6-10k damage for only 10 AP, so he's definitely worthy of a top 20 slot.

Kamala Khan:

KK is a bit too low IMO, probably because relatively few people have her maxed. She has just about everything that you could want from a character except a single target nuke. She has a very good purple active. She has a shockingly useful "burst of health" power, and a very solid aoe attack. Paired with someone that can do massive damage to a single target, she is great. I would be tempted to push her into the top 15. That said, I don't know who I would kick out of the top 15 to make room.

IMHB:

IMHB at 17 seems too low. His red is a monster damage dealing ability that can hit for 6-7k multiple times each match. His black does do self-damage (though there are ways to mitigate that draw back), but also instantly generates enough red to for 6k damage, along with 700 damage in strike tiles. just a devastating ability. His blue is quite mediocre, but it does generate red tiles, which can also help get damage out faster. And not to be overlooked, he has 18k health(!!!!!) and his abilities are more or less so easy to use that the ai will have a hard time messing them up (and who cares about self damage when it comes to pvp defense?). When combined with someone that has a decent green power, and someone that can do burst healing, he becomes a real monster. I personally recommend Cage + IMHB + Khan. That team has rainbow active powers, a strong defensive passive. burst healing to mitigate the self damage from IMHB's black, a yellow nuke, a green aoe nuke, and a red nuke. Plus a bit of board control from kk's purple. IMHB, Iron Fist, Spidey is another good example of a team that has scary offensive potential, rainbow powers, decent defensive tiles, and burst healing to mitigate the self damage. All in all, I think he is easily a top 10 character and has only dropped this low because relatively few people have him well covered, or have even fought against a well covered IMHB in pvp.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The voting format lead to some things I don't like. Who would use 2 Star Wolverine over Sentry or Colossus? Lol. I'm sure the top-of-the-top will look more agreeable, though.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    The voting format lead to some things I don't like. Who would use 2 Star Wolverine over Sentry or Colossus? Lol. I'm sure the top-of-the-top will look more agreeable, though.

I wouldn't use any of them unless I was either forced to or I was grinding at the end of a sub. Obviously in a direct comparison, the two 3* are better than Wolverine, but I feel like he has slightly more value for a 2* roster than they do for a 3* roster.
  • mpqrulz
    mpqrulz Posts: 12
    Options
    Great Work! Created an account primarily to say thanks!

Also, I had a suggestion although I know it s a little added work, but on your list of heroes, I think it would help out newer players if you had 2*, 3* etc on all of them.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    this forum ranked HB one place above OBW.

Ell oh ell
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    evil panda wrote:

Ell oh ell

It's a consequence of the trial of the new ranking system. If you're rating everyone from 1-10, OBW is going to score very highly, especially amongst the 2* players and the 2-3* transitioners.

I guess one idea would be to try and collate some voter characteristics too, next time around - "How would you regard yourself within the game - 1* player, 2* player, 2-3* transitioner, 3* player, 3-4* transitioner, 4* player?" and then provide a breakdown of those characteristics, plus a subset of rankings as voted by each group. You'd likely stratify by 1* to 2-3* transitioner as one group, and 3*+ as the other group, I suppose. It all sounds like a lot of work, especially since people are voluntarily doing this in their free time.

My other unrelated thought is that given a 1-10 rating, also there's likely to be a bit of bias between voters just in terms of how they select the numbers. Voter 1 might rate anything below 5 as a "fail", whereas voter 2 might rate 5 as "average". The problem with the first way of rating the characters is that it substantially reduces the spread of numbers for useful characters to 5-10. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to provide a rating scale guide for the next set of character rankings, just to standardise things. Having said that, the scatter on the heat map looks pretty reasonable.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:

Take YOUR time mate, because its YOUR time that enables us to have this.mms torch has been passed on to a worthy successor finally:)
  • Unknown
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    evil panda wrote:

Ell oh ell

It's a consequence of the trial of the new ranking system. If you're rating everyone from 1-10, OBW is going to score very highly, especially amongst the 2* players and the 2-3* transitioners.

I guess one idea would be to try and collate some voter characteristics too, next time around - "How would you regard yourself within the game - 1* player, 2* player, 2-3* transitioner, 3* player, 3-4* transitioner, 4* player?" and then provide a breakdown of those characteristics, plus a subset of rankings as voted by each group. You'd likely stratify by 1* to 2-3* transitioner as one group, and 3*+ as the other group, I suppose. It all sounds like a lot of work, especially since people are voluntarily doing this in their free time.

My other unrelated thought is that given a 1-10 rating, also there's likely to be a bit of bias between voters just in terms of how they select the numbers. Voter 1 might rate anything below 5 as a "fail", whereas voter 2 might rate 5 as "average". The problem with the first way of rating the characters is that it substantially reduces the spread of numbers for useful characters to 5-10. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to provide a rating scale guide for the next set of character rankings, just to standardise things. Having said that, the scatter on the heat map looks pretty reasonable.

The voting system is fine. Add another question that says 'are you an XYZ player or just post here after you vote.

Juggernaut, OBW, Ares are all gonna get very high marks even though their handicapped by their level total.

For the most part, the voting averages look okay to me(and there will always be outliers/trolls) - Yelena is worst, and Character X is best.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Alastayr wrote:
    Very interesting.

I had expected a higher position for: Beast, She-Hulk and Scarlet Witch.

And I would have thought Mystique, Falcon and Grey Suit Black Widow would place lower.

What? You thought She Hulk and Beast would be placed HIGHER?? Huh???
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    evil panda wrote:

Ell oh ell

I actually did have two questions to gauge voter experience in the game: number of days played and roster strength. After getting the write ups done (or possibly before, depending on how much input I get from others on the write ups), I'll have a post with breakdown by those categories.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To those lamenting KK and IMHB's positions, remember the forum had Sentry in that range when he was first introduced to the rankings and oh how wrong we were...