Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: The Results!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Let's take a look at the top 20 (in no particular order):

4* Thor
    X-Force
    Fury
    Prof X
    Hulkbuster
    OBW
    BP
    3*Thor
    Iron fist
    Luke cage
    Kamala Khan
    Cyclops
    Cmags
    3* Daken
    Patch
    Loki
    Hood
    LazyCap
    Blade
    Doom

OBW in the top 20 is not surprising (take a look at the 10/14 edition of the rankings), we've all played with her, we STILL have her and use her. She's good, that's undeniable.

The rest of the top 20 isn't surprising honestly. 6 of those 20 are "new" (have been introduced since the previous rankings), which is good, because it means we've been given a good amount of high-quality characters.

It will be interesting to see the top 3, first and second place have a 0.044 points difference, which means they're basically tied, even if the second got more 10 stars (WAY more).

It will also be interesting to see how hard X-force has been hit by the nerf. Definitely out of first place, probably out of top 3 too, I fear many voted him with very low scores just out of spite of the nerf, while he's still usable.

Can't wait to see the write-ups.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Past character rankings:
    12/2013 - the beginning
    3/2014 - standard deviation edition
    6/2014 - meme edition
    10/2014 - theme song edition
    12/2014 - MM's last stand

Since it's been awhile since the last rankings, we're going to try to include writeups on all 69 characters included in the poll. That is going to take a decent amount of time, so I won't make you wait until they are complete to see most of the list.

Here is the heat map for this round of rankings:
    MPQ%20May%20Heatmap%20Hidden%20top.png

Final Rankings:
    1. ???
    2. ???
    3. ???
    4. ???
    5. ???
    6. ???
    7. ???
    8. ???
    9. ???
    10. ???
    11. ???
    12. ???
    13. ???
    14. ???
    15. ???
    16. ???
    17. ???
    18. ???
    19. ???
    20. ???
    21. Deadpool
    22. The Hulk
    23. Kingpin
    24. Rocket & Groot
    25. 3* Black Widow
    26. Falcon
    27. Ares
    28. 3* Human Torch
    29. Scarlet Witch
    30. Daredevil
    31. Mystique
    32. Punisher
    33. 2* Thor
    34. 3* Captain Marvel
    35. Elektra
    36. 3* Storm
    37. Star-Lord
    38. 2* Storm
    39. She-Hulk
    40. Devil Dinosaur
    41. Invisible Woman
    42. 2* Magneto
    43. Gamora
    44. Psylocke
    45. 2* Daken
    46. 2 * Wolverine
    47. Squirrel Girl
    48. Colossus
    49. Juggernaut
    50. 3* Spider-Man
    51. 3* Iron Man
    52. Sentry
    53. Quicksilver
    54. 2* Human Torch
    55. 2* Hawkeye
    56. Beast
    57. 2* Captain Marvel
    58. Doctor Octopus
    59. Ragnarok
    60. 2* Captain America
    61. 1* Black Widow
    62. 1* Storm
    63. 1* Iron Man
    64. Moonstone
    65. Bullseye
    66. Venom
    67. 1* Hawkeye
    68. 2* Spider-Man
    69. Yelena Belova
    Kingpin too low esp when he can combo w/ Scarlet Witch
    Ares is surprising...maybe not.
    Scarlet witch should def be above 3*BW
    Punisher should be above Mystique/Daredevil, he can kill Ultron easily
    She-Hulk should be top 20, PVP-relevance
    3*Storm/2*Storm down, bleh
    Invisible Woman should be above bad 4* like Star-Lord/Elektra
    Psylocke should be above Gamora, she's part of team Girl Power
    3*Carol could be higher being apart of team Girl Power
    Jugg should have straight 10s, not sure if that would make him higher or not
    Star-Lord/Elektra should be wayyyy lower i guess ppl are giving them + rating purely for being 4*
    Ppl are overreacting at how bad Beast is, he should be above Bagsilver and Sentry at least.
    2*Cap should be higher, he's the 2* way to fight overleveled goons
    Moonstone is definitely higher than bad 1*(lol? What are you thinking everyone)
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

???

What do you mean?

The current version of Moonstone may be higher (still have to try her), but the previous surely deserved her place behind the other 1*.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hulkbuster at#1
    Kk at 2
  • Unknown
    Options
    Very interesting.

I had expected a higher position for: Beast, She-Hulk and Scarlet Witch.

And I would have thought Mystique, Falcon and Grey Suit Black Widow would place lower.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hulkbuster at#1
    Kk at 2

I expect Hulkbuster to be very high up. If he isn't top 2, then it is likely because not a lot of people have enough covers to play with him yet.

I'm not as sure that KK will be that far up. I don't think she will have a higher ranking than Professor X at the very least.
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Star-Lord/Elektra should be wayyyy lower i guess ppl are giving them + rating purely for being 4*
    Ppl are overreacting at how bad Beast is, he should be above Bagsilver and Sentry at least.

I have never heard of team Girl Power before. Please explain.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    Hulkbuster at#1
    Kk at 2

I expect Hulkbuster to be very high up. If he isn't top 2, then it is likely because not a lot of people have enough covers to play with him yet.

I'm not as sure that KK will be that far up. I don't think she will have a higher ranking than Professor X at the very least.
    I dont think shes the 2nd best character far from it.however I think every1 who has a usable one that has voted will vote her as 10, shes lush;)
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KK is probably the most fun character released since i started playing, she is my vote for #1, and yes, i gave her full marks.

IMHB i don't think enough have him leveled to the point of his being useful, this may hurt his rankings some.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmm...if icon_moonstone.pngblackflag.png ability change arrived BEFORE the poll, I'd assume she'll be higher ranked(?). Question is by how much? Marginal? Big boost?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Marty17 wrote:
    Hmm...if icon_moonstone.pngblackflag.png ability change arrived BEFORE the poll, I'd assume she'll be higher ranked(?). Question is by how much? Marginal? Big boost?

I'd guess around where 2* Human Torch and Hawkeye are.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I have never heard of team Girl Power before. Please explain.

Well, inferring, we know two members of the team are icon_caroldanvers.png and icon_psylocke.png. That leaves us with no actives in yellowflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.png . We also know the character is a female. The most likely candidates for a third, then, are icon_squirrelgirl.png followed by icon_kamalakhan.png and star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_blackwidow.png, though who knows what is actually being referred to here.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Girl Power is probably the nickname for the Captain Marvel / Psylocke / KK team that tanks with Marvel and heals on each hit from Psylocke with Kamala's passive, until Kamala can punch everyone.

One good team combo powered by a top-tier new release does not make Captain Marvel and Psylocke more than ok.

Scarlet Witch might be ranked a bit low because she's new and really needs lots of covers to be good; having her at 1 or 2 covers is really bad.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I agree Cap** is underrated because LCap exists. Same with tiny torch.
    Juggernaut is overrated; he's not as valuable as tiny torch unless boosted.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daibar wrote:

I agree, but Juggernaut's rating is a result of the change in voting process. I doubt many people would have had Juggernaut ranked higher than many 2s in the old system, but there were 28 people who gave him a 10 using this system. I can only assume they voted him that high because they rated him as a 1* character, he as a 1* is as OP as they get.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Juggernaut also is extremely useful in a few specific circumstances: DDQ, Balance of Power, Combined Arms, etc. That probably inflates his ranking a bit.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Alastayr wrote:
    Very interesting.

I had expected a higher position for: Beast, She-Hulk and Scarlet Witch.

And I would have thought Mystique, Falcon and Grey Suit Black Widow would place lower.
    They should be higher, ppl are sleeping on them. I disagree about Falcon but ya
    Marty17 wrote:

With Weekly buffs, she'll be really dangerous with Cage/Fist/Patch/Dakens everywhere. It's better than She-Hulks and Cheaper than Loki's.
    Girl Power is probably the nickname for the Captain Marvel / Psylocke / KK team that tanks with Marvel and heals on each hit from Psylocke with Kamala's passive, until Kamala can punch everyone.

One good team combo powered by a top-tier new release does not make Captain Marvel and Psylocke more than ok.

Scarlet Witch might be ranked a bit low because she's new and really needs lots of covers to be good; having her at 1 or 2 covers is really bad.

Team Girl Power is great, and yes a team can be more than the sum of its parts - Winfinite, Magstorm, I could go on

Why are ppl ranking based on less than max covers? I seriously hope they aren't, gonna taint the pool
    daibar wrote:

Juggernaut not overrated, underrated best 1*, good teamup, King when boosted, can solo DDQ by himself
    Raist818 wrote:
    daibar wrote:

I agree, but Juggernaut's rating is a result of the change in voting process. I doubt many people would have had Juggernaut ranked higher than many 2s in the old system, but there were 28 people who gave him a 10 using this system. I can only assume they voted him that high because they rated him as a 1* character, he as a 1* is as OP as they get.

What this person said
  • Unknown
    Options
    If the write-ups are going to take a long time, is there any chance we can just see the full list?
    I still want to read the write-ups, but I would prefer not to wait to see who the top ranked characters are if it is going to take a long time to post all of them.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Raist818 wrote:
    If the write-ups are going to take a long time, is there any chance we can just see the full list?
    I still want to read the write-ups, but I would prefer not to wait to see who the top ranked characters are if it is going to take a long time to post all of them.

I'll reveal 5 a day starting tomorrow. Does that seem like a reasonable timeline?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    69. Yelena Belova, even

.. snip..

68. Bagman, -2

Another suggestion. Can you link to the characters thread in this forum for each character when you list their rank so that we can easily see the skills in detail.